S
SCDaytona Offline
mopar
SCDaytona  Offline
mopar
S

Charleston, SC
Quote:

Actually just finished this one. It was an old Johan model kit from the mid seventy's that I had purchased about 20 years ago. In kit from it was worth about $100. Now that I have built it, it's probably worth $10 Couldn't resist doing it anyway.

Funny I still have this kit. Painted the body red and never finished it as my Cuda at the time was red.

Last edited by SCDaytona; 01/30/11 10:04 PM.
Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: SCDaytona] #916598
01/30/11 10:50 PM
01/30/11 10:50 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Actually just finished this one. It was an old Johan model kit from the mid seventy's that I had purchased about 20 years ago. In kit from it was worth about $100. Now that I have built it, it's probably worth $10 Couldn't resist doing it anyway.

Funny I still have this kit. Painted the body red and never finished it as my Cuda at the time was red.

Actually when doing the kit, I found multiple color / decal placement changes for the same year car. The kit also came with a dual plug hemi and dual distributors. That race car stuff changed weekly. Valadating anything is all but impossible. A lot of the old racers went through more cars and parts than the "Dukes of Hazard" went through Chargers

Fastest 300
Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: Crizila] #916599
01/31/11 12:15 AM
01/31/11 12:15 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Can't speak for the S&M Cuda, but there was a big flap on another site about the Grumpy Camaro, and according to one of its previous owners all there was left of the original sheetmetal was the roof and parts of the quarter panels. The car had been cut up significantly & updated a few times from the early version the restoration portrays. I guess it's something like George Washington's axe, but many old race cars just got cut & beat to death. Some of the stuff the NASCAR restorations start with is terribly thrashed.

Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: topside] #916600
01/31/11 12:44 AM
01/31/11 12:44 AM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
Quote:

Can't speak for the S&M Cuda, but there was a big flap on another site about the Grumpy Camaro, and according to one of its previous owners all there was left of the original sheetmetal was the roof and parts of the quarter panels. The car had been cut up significantly & updated a few times from the early version the restoration portrays. I guess it's something like George Washington's axe, but many old race cars just got cut & beat to death. Some of the stuff the NASCAR restorations start with is terribly thrashed.

I was told Richie Zul filed suit against the seller and Mecum. That car was used by Grump, Zul and even Bruce Larsen. it wound up back from Grump to Zul twice.

there's one major problem involving many top line restorations. there is no fine line as when it beomes a recreation rather than a true restoration. In very similar case involving Dave Strickler's A/FX 65 Dodge. When Bill Stiles builder of the car and mechanic for Dave was asked to sign. Bill refused he sadithat is not my car.My car had ben dipped way too much and had no floors wehen we got it. This car has a full untouched floorpan and no indication of a dipped car. The word is only the roof was original.
replacing rusty panels may be ok but to "clip" a car mid way on the A pillar and at the first seam under the driver's feet resulting with a the replacment from a donor car. At some point it becomes another car. as it is now it looklike you8n can build a restored car if you only have the trunk lock to begin the process

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: HEMIFRED] #916601
01/31/11 12:48 AM
01/31/11 12:48 AM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
a perfect example of my above post

Quote:

in 1971 the Camaro’s career was not over: Chevy funny car pilot Bruce Larsen had lost his car to a fire and he approached Jenkins about renting the Camaro to finish the season in Pro Stock.

A deal was struck, the Camaro was refinished in Larsen’s famous “USA-1” livery, under which colors it completed the season. In 1972 Long Islander and Division 1 terror Richie Zul took the wheel under a similar arrangement, and carried on development of the car for another two seasons, constantly modifying and updating it , including back-halving it to accommodate a fully tied roll cage and new rear suspension, and later updating the sheet metal and rear window to reflect later styling changes.

home of the

Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: HEMIFRED] #916602
01/31/11 01:11 AM
01/31/11 01:11 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

I was told Richie Zul filed suit against the seller and Mecum. That car was used by Grump, Zul and even Bruce Larsen. it wound up back from Grump to Zul twice.

there's one major problem involving many top line restorations. there is no fine line as when it beomes a recreation rather than a true restoration. In very similar case involving Dave Strickler's A/FX 65 Dodge. When Bill Stiles builder of the car and mechanic for Dave was asked to sign. Bill refused he sadithat is not my car.My car had ben dipped way too much and had no floors wehen we got it. This car has a full untouched floorpan and no indication of a dipped car. The word is only the roof was original.
replacing rusty panels may be ok but to "clip" a car mid way on the A pillar and at the first seam under the driver's feet resulting with a the replacment from a donor car. At some point it becomes another car. as it is now it looklike you8n can build a restored car if you only have the trunk lock to begin the process

I dont get all of the hoopla surrounding some of these cars. If they are truly legit and bear a majority of their original as raced components then there is provenance. Otherwise its just another form of a rebody and the pedigree is questionable. Worthless? no. But not the Holy Grail the sellers like you to believe.

MB

Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: HEMIFRED] #916603
01/31/11 01:20 AM
01/31/11 01:20 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Pretty much the story I heard.
Nice job on the car nonetheless, but apparently there needs to be a line drawn as to % of original content for a car to be called a restoration.
More than one road racer or NASCAR racer has been restored from parts and a chassis/cage that needed significant amounts of repair and at least a partial body.

Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: HPMike] #916604
01/31/11 01:26 AM
01/31/11 01:26 AM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
Quote:

I dont get all of the hoopla surrounding some of these cars. If they are truly legit and bear a majority of their original as raced components then there is provenance. Otherwise its just another form of a rebody and the pedigree is questionable. Worthless? no. But not the Holy Grail the sellers like you to believe.

If you looked at my car you would see that it is far from a show or restored in any way.
You will also notice dirt, grease and scratches
as it is used weekly. With the driver's door being the only body panel not original. The motor and trans replaced but brake system,radiator,switches ,gauges even my rugs are the same. Based on the amount of attention and the fact four members signed and Ronnie authenticated the car. .It would/should never be questioned for it being the real deal.

home of the

Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: HEMIFRED] #916605
01/31/11 12:48 PM
01/31/11 12:48 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

It would/should never be questioned for it being the real deal.

Oh Ya, Prove it!! Just kidding. Sounds like a nice retirement nest-egg you got there. Think I'd have a hard time racing something that valuable??

Fastest 300
Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: HEMIFRED] #916606
01/31/11 02:54 PM
01/31/11 02:54 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

If you looked at my car you would see that it is far from a show or restored in any way.
You will also notice dirt, grease and scratches
as it is used weekly. With the driver's door being the only body panel not original. The motor and trans replaced but brake system,radiator,switches ,gauges even my rugs are the same. Based on the amount of attention and the fact four members signed and Ronnie authenticated the car. .It would/should never be questioned for it being the real deal.

I'm with ya, Fred.

I guess my thinking is that if only, let's say, the dash panel in one of these cars is the "original", then what is it that makes it(the overall car), unique? Should that dash panel be put in a frame or plaque of sorts and sold as the real deal??

In the overall scheme of things it shouldn't matter too much, especially when talking about ex race cars, but the sellers of these cars are looking for "Mona Lisa" type of cash. I don't own any high profile ex race cars, so maybe just one shred of the original is enough to justify the provenance?

MB

Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: HPMike] #916607
01/31/11 04:02 PM
01/31/11 04:02 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Besides verification, the problem I see with all the old race car restores is that they are too nice. As I remember them, they were pretty beat up. Several years ago I ran accross a Fred Gibbs 68 Camaro at a Meachum auction in St Charles Il that I "might" have actually ran against in 68 at a AHRA division 5 event at US 30 drag strip in Indiana. It was one of a few that actually looked original ( including the paint ) - and it wasn't pretty. I say might because Gibbs had many Camaros that they raced and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have several 68's. IMO, the $ is outragous for an original dashboard, or top. BTW, anything that was special or specific to a particular race car back in the day, can easily be reproduced today - especially for the $ we are talking about.

Fastest 300
Re: Sox and Martin 71 Cuda P/S Mecum [Re: HEMIFRED] #916608
01/31/11 05:58 PM
01/31/11 05:58 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.

Substantial proof ? would you care to explain exact what type of proof ? There is a member here that works for one of the largest collector car dealers in the world. He contacted Mecum on behalf of one of his customers and requested any documentation or paperwork validating the cars history.He was told they had nothing to show but what they were told by the seller to include in the advertisement.Nothing was there

You know EXACTLY what kind of proof any big-time investor would want when buying one of these cars. You have one! When things get weird or suspicious is when things like only a roof or quarter panels exist, how can you legitimately call it a restoration? Verification by former owners, builders, drivers along with original build pics and pics during restoration along with statements by/from original builders,etc. all help substantiate just what a car is or was. This all isn't hard work, just THOROUGH work that anyone investing 6-figures in a car should do or have done if they have any sense. The seller can't provide such proof? Move on, as it would be easier & cheaper to simply get a clone than to waste investment money on a questionable car.

Page 2 of 2 1 2