Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
yeah those BMWs and such use extremly precise machine work, they use mobil one best oil ever made crap, the 15,000 miles is under absolute ideal conditions ie.. driving LA to NYC and back 3 or 4 times with out stopping for anything but gas, and they also have huge oil capacitys cuz it takes longer to contaminate 15 qts than it does 5 qts.

And on the oil testing junk, oil will not break down, only get contaminated with fuel, condensation, blow by soot, dust, pieces of FRAM filters...

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Best $20.00 I have spent [Re: HotRodDave] #90115
07/20/08 12:28 AM
07/20/08 12:28 AM
Bowling Green KY / Nashville, ...
300by500 Offline
master
300by500  Offline
master

Bowling Green KY / Nashville, ...
My '05 Sprinter (Dodge/Mercedes) turned over 272,000 miles this week, I lose about 1/3 quart between changes every 15,000 miles.

Napa (Wix) filters, Mobil 1 0W30 in winter, 5W40 in summer. Although it's only a 2.7 liter 5 cylinder, it costs just shy of $100 per oil change, as it has a 9.5 quart capacity. Worth every cent.

Synthetics rule, IMHO!

Re: Best $20.00 I have spent [Re: wildfish72] #90116
07/20/08 12:40 AM
07/20/08 12:40 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

just open you mind old man and read,,,,,,, unless your that stuburn...

ur WAY,WAY outta your league here dude .. keep runnin'
your precious AMSOIL for 15k, the rest of us will keep using dino oil
and change it at 5k... for under $20 to boot.

Re: Best $20.00 I have spent [Re: wildfish72] #90117
07/20/08 07:24 AM
07/20/08 07:24 AM
Palm Coast, FL (near Daytona B...
Blown_Hemi Offline OP
master
Blown_Hemi  Offline OP
master

Palm Coast, FL (near Daytona B...
Quote:

ok lets say $3 dollars a qrt times 5 and then another $8 for the filter , what does that come out to , $23 , thats if all you need is 5 qrts my truck uses 7 qrts. so tell me you can do it for under $15 ,

My oil change cost me $82.38. 2 Napa 1773 filters at $10.00 a piece and a case of Brad Penn 10W30 for $62.38 including shipping. I used 10 out of the 12 quart case so it was actually $71.98. The cost does not bother me as long as it protects my engine I am happy. Cheaper than a new rebuild on the engine.

Ask me my opinion of Frank Mitchell....... A Mopar crook!
Re: Best $20.00 I have spent [Re: wildfish72] #90118
07/20/08 08:40 AM
07/20/08 08:40 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

just open you mind old man and read,,,,,,, unless your that stuburn http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

Listen - I don't mind debate, but I don't like name calling. Seems you are the one with the closed mind and stubborn. If you like synthetics and the price they sell for fine. Never said that they weren't. Just that they are no better. I just don't feel that they are (for me) worth 4 times the money for an oil change. I do not believe however in extended oil changes unless you do a lot of non stop driving under ideal or near ideal conditions. So why spend the money for something that is no better that what I am using. Contaminants are the same whether in synthetic or dino oil. New vehicles do run cleaner but not that much. As for reading this test or that test - tests can show anything that you want it to show. If you don't like it one way change the way it is run or go down the street.

Re: Best $20.00 I have spent [Re: wildfish72] #90119
07/20/08 09:58 AM
07/20/08 09:58 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
Quote:

just open you mind old man and read,,,,,,, unless your that stuburn http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

From Amsoil's main page:
Quote:

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Replace AMSOIL Ea full-flow oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year service life, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).

• In all other applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

*OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer

(1) Engines operating under modified conditions are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust (headers?), fuel or air induction systems (intake, fuel pump, carb?); and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturers.

(2) Engines are in good working condition and within the factory design settings(cam, pistons?). Mechanically sound engines, for example, do not leak oil or consume excessive amounts, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not have internal or external anti-freeze leaks and have properly working emission control systems. AMSOIL recommends repairing malfunctioning engines prior to the installation of AMSOIL synthetic oils.

(3) Personal transportation vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles (16 km) at a time and not operating under severe service.

(4) Turbo/supercharged vehicles, commercial or fleet vehicles, excessive engine idling, use of AMSOIL engine oil in vehicles with over 100,000 miles without prior regular use of AMSOIL engine oil, daily short trip driving (less than 10 miles), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty-condition driving.

Looks to me like virtually ALL of our cars, the hotrods in particular, only meet the "Severe Service" levels AT BEST. Probably don't meet their requirements at all, given the mods we've all done. Years ago, Consumer Reports found there was no benefit in running a synthetic over even a garden-variety dino oil. Now with the elimination of zinc, you may need to suppliment the oil for a flat tappet cam. In a modern injected engine, there's no reason dino oil can't go 5-7K miles if short trips are kept to a minimum. Lots of short trip driving - or a carbureted engine, and you should probably shorten up the change interval.

The Maintenance Minder in my Honda Fit indicated a 5600 mile change interval on the original fill oil. I ordered an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs, and I'll see how that result looks soon. I'm guessing I'll end up staying around 5K changes on that car. My Valiant doesn't see 5K miles a year, so I'll probably just stick with yearly changes on it. Now that I'm out of the turbo car business, I don't see myself using a synthetic any time soon.

Clair

Re: Best $20.00 I have spent [Re: Clair_Davis] #90120
07/20/08 10:09 AM
07/20/08 10:09 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

From Amsoil's main page:
Quote:

SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Replace AMSOIL Ea full-flow oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year service life, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).

• In all other applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

*OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer

(1) Engines operating under modified conditions are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust (headers?), fuel or air induction systems (intake, fuel pump, carb?); and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturers.

(2) Engines are in good working condition and within the factory design settings(cam, pistons?). Mechanically sound engines, for example, do not leak oil or consume excessive amounts, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not have internal or external anti-freeze leaks and have properly working emission control systems. AMSOIL recommends repairing malfunctioning engines prior to the installation of AMSOIL synthetic oils.

(3) Personal transportation vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles (16 km) at a time and not operating under severe service.

(4) Turbo/supercharged vehicles, commercial or fleet vehicles, excessive engine idling, use of AMSOIL engine oil in vehicles with over 100,000 miles without prior regular use of AMSOIL engine oil, daily short trip driving (less than 10 miles), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty-condition driving.

Looks to me like virtually ALL of our cars, the hotrods in particular, only meet the "Severe Service" levels AT BEST. Probably don't meet their requirements at all, given the mods we've all done. Years ago, Consumer Reports found there was no benefit in running a synthetic over even a garden-variety dino oil. Now with the elimination of zinc, you may need to suppliment the oil for a flat tappet cam. In a modern injected engine, there's no reason dino oil can't go 5-7K miles if short trips are kept to a minimum. Lots of short trip driving - or a carbureted engine, and you should probably shorten up the change interval.

The Maintenance Minder in my Honda Fit indicated a 5600 mile change interval on the original fill oil. I ordered an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs, and I'll see how that result looks soon. I'm guessing I'll end up staying around 5K changes on that car. My Valiant doesn't see 5K miles a year, so I'll probably just stick with yearly changes on it. Now that I'm out of the turbo car business, I don't see myself using a synthetic any time soon.

Clair

Thanks Clair, Show that even Amsoil has a lot of exceptions to keep their tit out of the wringer including ideal driving conditions which are very few and far between for the common person.

Page 2 of 2 1 2