07/17/08 12:55 PM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Hey Guys,
I've been wondering about this situation for a few months and thought I'd run it by the experts on this board to get some ideas.

Car is a 1970 Super Bee 440-6. All stock equipment. It gets started and driven about once a week or so on average. The concern I have is that the cranking time it takes to get it to fire up after sitting seems long to me. It seems to take maybe 15 seconds of cranking to get fuel up to the carb to fire up. Once it is started the first time, it runs ok and any "hot starts" for the remainder of the day fire up on the very first crank. But after it's sat again for 3 or 4 days, it's the same process over again.

Sometimes I pour a shot of gas in the primary to prime it and this seems to work fine. I've also verified there are no "external" fuel leaks.

My question is -- where is the gas going? The fuel in the bowl (and in the lines/filter as well) seem to disappear or drain back to the tank after sitting for a few days.

I've done a little searching on the net and have seen cases on other makes where carbs can leak into the engine, evaporate or just boil off after shutdown...

What do you guys think? What could I look for to see if there is a problem and if so, what it might be? I was thinking of adding an electric fuel pump to prime the carb quicker before starting, but this is more a workaround. Or is this normal behavior for some carbs?

Thanks a lot ... this one has me really puzzled.

I appreciate your ideas on this one!

--Stan

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: stan1970] #89791
07/17/08 01:01 PM
07/17/08 01:01 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
from another post i just posted....same problem.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post4556905

"i had this EXACT SAME PROBLEM. What ended up fixing it was a 1" 4-hole phenolic spacer, that stops the gas from boiling out after you shut down the engine, and heat soaks back up into the carb. You'll gain 2 things with the spacer, it will always start perfect, and you'll get a better signal to the carb and have really nice crisp bottom end throttle response. Having your choke adjusted properly also really helps, it was only the spacer that really solved the problem, now i just get in turn the key and vrooommmm, starts every time; where before i would have to crank, crank, crank, take off air cleaner, squirt gas in the carb, crank and start; sometimes i would actually flood it trying to start it."

what happens is the gas evaporates in the carb, next time you go to start it, your relying on the pump to fill the carb back up, and usually in the process you may flood the carb. The electric pump will help the problem, filling the carb before you start it, but it is not solving the initial problem, and a phenolic insulating spacer solves that problem completely. Now with my car it could sit for 1 min, 1hr, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, and it always starts instantly.

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #89792
07/17/08 02:34 PM
07/17/08 02:34 PM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Thanks 69charger.

In my situation, these are Holley two-barrels though. Not sure if the problem on the other thread could be Edelbrock specific ??

Also, I can restart the car on the first or second crank for hours after it's been started up the initial time. Was wondering if this made any difference -- How long does it take for the heat to boil off the gas in the bowls to cause the long crank times again?

Thanks a lot folks!

--Stan

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: stan1970] #89793
07/17/08 05:00 PM
07/17/08 05:00 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Thanks 69charger.

In my situation, these are Holley two-barrels though. Not sure if the problem on the other thread could be Edelbrock specific ??

Also, I can restart the car on the first or second crank for hours after it's been started up the initial time. Was wondering if this made any difference -- How long does it take for the heat to boil off the gas in the bowls to cause the long crank times again?

Thanks a lot folks!

--Stan

I found it takes about 1 day, if you feel your motor the next morning after a cruise the previous night, the motor is still warm. My symptoms are exactly as your describe, although different carb(s), but i still don't think there is a carb out there that doesn't benefit from a insulating spacer. But you may want to check the lines, make sure there are no leaks, ect.....
i think after the first 6 or so hours the gas is almost gone in the carbs, then over time, all the gas may go back into the tank, the pump could get dry, and that's where the problem starts.... whatever the cause, on 2 cars the phenolic spacer completely cured the problem for me...

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #89794
07/17/08 05:51 PM
07/17/08 05:51 PM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Thanks a lot for the info on the spacers. I never would have thought to try that out.

Is anyone out there running these insulating spacers with a Six-Pack? If so, will they work with the existing linkage, etc?

Anyone with six-pack carbs had similar experiences like this?

Thanks a lot everyone!

-Stan

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: stan1970] #89795
07/17/08 06:56 PM
07/17/08 06:56 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Check the center carb squirter diaphram. They can leak real slow resulting in a empty float bowl after 4 days. There is a small depression in the intake manifold just below it that usually collects the dip making it not real obvious, and then it evaporates.

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: BSB67] #89796
07/17/08 07:54 PM
07/17/08 07:54 PM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Thanks all for the info.

Where is the squirter diaphram on the center carb? (sorry for the simple questions - but I'm still learning about all this stuff) Is it on the driver's side? And how would I check or replace this part? I'll attach a photo of the setup as well.

I've never seen any fuel on the intake while running or after shutting down, but I'd sure love to figure out what is happening to it..

Thanks all for your continued help with my questions!

-Stan

4558196-carb.jpg (48 downloads)
Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: stan1970] #89797
07/18/08 09:51 AM
07/18/08 09:51 AM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Anyone? Thanks a lot!!

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: stan1970] #89798
07/18/08 11:01 AM
07/18/08 11:01 AM
Not2farfromNashville, TN
R
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN
gas formulation has changed. It evaporates quickly. Spacers might run you into hood clearance issues on a 70 Bee.

Hide an electric pump back near the tank.

"The only thing to do for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"
Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: Rug_Trucker] #89799
07/18/08 11:06 AM
07/18/08 11:06 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Check for obvious leaks, as mentioned by others more familiar with 6pac setups, but I'd still install some kind of spacer, even the 3/8" thick "cardboard" spacers will help a lot.

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #89800
07/18/08 12:47 PM
07/18/08 12:47 PM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Thanks a lot guys for the tips. I learn so many good new tricks from these posts.

For the cardboard type spacers -- where would I get these? Are these standard at auto parts stores etc?
And does anyone with a 6-pack know whether this has to be done to all 3 carbs or just the center?

Thanks!

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: stan1970] #89801
07/18/08 12:58 PM
07/18/08 12:58 PM
clarks summit pa
73cuda340 Offline
super stock
73cuda340  Offline
super stock

clarks summit pa
Thanks for the answers as my cuda was having the same exact problem.

1973 Cuda 528 all aluminum Hemi, 4 speed, 3.23 Sure-Grip, (JA5) Silver Frost Metallic 1973 Challenger Rallye 340 1985 W150 Power Ram prospector 1986 Camaro IROC-Z 305 tpi
Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: stan1970] #89802
07/18/08 03:11 PM
07/18/08 03:11 PM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Thanks guys for the tips.

Just to cover all the bases on this ... on a web search I came across a posting (I think on a Ford site ) that talked about how if the carb bowls go dry, it might mean the gas is dripping into the engine internally from the carb?? Which could cause great damage to the motor.

Is there any way to eliminate this possibilty? Have you guys ever heard of a carb doing that and how would you be able to tell if it's happening?

Thanks a lot !

--Stan

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: stan1970] #89803
07/18/08 04:04 PM
07/18/08 04:04 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Thanks guys for the tips.

Just to cover all the bases on this ... on a web search I came across a posting (I think on a Ford site ) that talked about how if the carb bowls go dry, it might mean the gas is dripping into the engine internally from the carb?? Which could cause great damage to the motor.

Is there any way to eliminate this possibilty? Have you guys ever heard of a carb doing that and how would you be able to tell if it's happening?

Thanks a lot !

--Stan

It's common on all cars with carbs. What happens is when you shut down the car, the heat from the engine soaks into the intake, and the carb. When the car is running, coolant is flowing, and the natural effect of atomizing/mixing gas and air creates a cooling effect (much like using a aerosol spray can; you notice it gets cooler as you use it). After you turn off the car, the carb will slowly get hot, and the gas in turn will boil in the bowls (much more today than in the past with all the additives in the gas now), and the pressure goes up, eventually leading to it flooding out, or overcoming the needle/seat and back flowing. This leads to a condition where the float bowls are empty at next start up, and resulting in you have to crank to fill the bowls by the mechanical pump. Where an electric pump comes in is when you turn on the ignition before you start, the electric pump fills the carbs, it solves the problem but you still may pee gas down the engine which is BAD, nice way to wash down the cylinders, the electric plump route does solve the hard starting but does not solve the initial problem, which is the carb getting hot. Even when running you will get better atomization from a cooler carb than a hot carb, so any spacer/insulator will help.

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #89804
07/18/08 06:24 PM
07/18/08 06:24 PM
USA
S
stan1970 Offline OP
stan1970  Offline OP
S

USA
Thanks again for the great explanation on this stuff. It really helps.

Is there a risk then with running an electric fuel pump that if you let it run too long to prime the carb before startup you could end up dumping gas down inside the engine (where it mixes with the oil, I would imagine)?

How would you know if your fuel has been leaking into the inside of the engine? Would it be mixed in with the oil or would it burn up inside when the motor has run?

Thanks a lot!

--Stan

Re: Carb leak into engine? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #89805
07/18/08 06:44 PM
07/18/08 06:44 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest

It's common on all cars with carbs. What happens is when you shut down the car, the heat from the engine soaks into the intake, and the carb. When the car is running, coolant is flowing, and the natural effect of atomizing/mixing gas and air creates a cooling effect (much like using a aerosol spray can; you notice it gets cooler as you use it). After you turn off the car, the carb will slowly get hot, and the gas in turn will boil in the bowls (much more today than in the past with all the additives in the gas now), and the pressure goes up, eventually leading to it flooding out, or overcoming the needle/seat and back flowing. This leads to a condition where the float bowls are empty at next start up, and resulting in you have to crank to fill the bowls by the mechanical pump. Where an electric pump comes in is when you turn on the ignition before you start, the electric pump fills the carbs, it solves the problem but you still may pee gas down the engine which is BAD, nice way to wash down the cylinders, the electric plump route does solve the hard starting but does not solve the initial problem, which is the carb getting hot. Even when running you will get better atomization from a cooler carb than a hot carb, so any spacer/insulator will help.

I would like to add a couple of things if I may: The problem is a lot more pronounce now days than it was back in the day these cars and trucks were produced do to the fact that most gas is got 10% ethanol mix. This make the gas much more prone to perculation do to the low boiling point of the alcohol mix. It is also a lot more pronounce with the carbrated mechanical fuel pump engines over the injected electric fuel pump engines. I would like to add to that a lot of the time after sitting a short time the engine is actually flooded and you will have better luck starting by treating it like starting flooded engine by holding the throttle wide open while cranking the engine over.
Also if this has happened to you very much better smell your oil because gas in the oil has very poor lubricating qualities.

Clean it, if it's Dirty. Oil it, if it Squeaks. But: Don't fix it, if it Works!