12/29/10 12:14 PM
Phoenix - surface of the sun
nomore65BelvJim Offline
I Live Here
nomore65BelvJim  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

I do agree Barry offers a great service to the Mopar community -if he trusts you.

*edited for accuracy

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: nomore65BelvJim] #889305
12/29/10 12:26 PM
12/29/10 12:26 PM
SE PA.
Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.
Quote:

Quote:

I do agree Barry offers a great service to the Mopar community -if he trusts you.

*edited for accuracy

Kinda reminds me of this episode...Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svSGKJFSl-8&feature=related

The paperwork Nazi..."No paperwork for YOU!"

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: torredcuda] #889306
12/29/10 12:30 PM
12/29/10 12:30 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

i am not siding with barry on his views necessarily,but,i don't care who you are,what reason you use, rebodying is illegal. period.
anybody out there,i don't care what state you live in,when you remove the VIN tag from one vehicle and put it on another, it is against the law. there is no "grey" area in the law. it doesn't matter if you have a rust bucket 1 of 1 hemi cuda sitting there,and have a rustfree slant 6 barracuda,and swap the VIN,tags,numbers to that car to "save an important,rare car",you have committed fraud. there is no justification. there is no grey area. it is illegal. think you have done no wrong? make sure when you get that rebodied car done,and got to license it,make sure and tell the DMV,that you swapped the VIN tags on the car. we will read your next post on here from jail......

In that case,yes it is illegal but the gray area is when you are restoring a very rusty car and replacing a lot of metal on it and some still will call it a re-body even though the main structure is still there.I have also seen people get jumped on for merely innocently mentioning the word re-body.

There is nothing innocent about it. Rebody a car and then go to the "authorities" and see how it goes. A guy I know flushed his life down the drain rebodying tractors and backhoes. I think he is pulling 5 years after he used what was left of a multimillion dollar fortune to pay the lawyers.

That is that "gray area" though, right?

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: SomeCarGuy] #889307
12/29/10 01:43 PM
12/29/10 01:43 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i am not siding with barry on his views necessarily,but,i don't care who you are,what reason you use, rebodying is illegal. period.
anybody out there,i don't care what state you live in,when you remove the VIN tag from one vehicle and put it on another, it is against the law. there is no "grey" area in the law. it doesn't matter if you have a rust bucket 1 of 1 hemi cuda sitting there,and have a rustfree slant 6 barracuda,and swap the VIN,tags,numbers to that car to "save an important,rare car",you have committed fraud. there is no justification. there is no grey area. it is illegal. think you have done no wrong? make sure when you get that rebodied car done,and got to license it,make sure and tell the DMV,that you swapped the VIN tags on the car. we will read your next post on here from jail......

In that case,yes it is illegal but the gray area is when you are restoring a very rusty car and replacing a lot of metal on it and some still will call it a re-body even though the main structure is still there.I have also seen people get jumped on for merely innocently mentioning the word re-body.

There is nothing innocent about it. Rebody a car and then go to the "authorities" and see how it goes. A guy I know flushed his life down the drain rebodying tractors and backhoes. I think he is pulling 5 years after he used what was left of a multimillion dollar fortune to pay the lawyers.

That is that "gray area" though, right?

Boy,we sure got away from the OP's original question.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #889308
12/29/10 01:54 PM
12/29/10 01:54 PM
Wendy, I'm home.
dstryr Offline
master
dstryr  Offline
master

Wendy, I'm home.
Quote:

Please someone give me a legitimate reason why you would REPRODUCE a fender tag other than greed/profit....

I will, and I bet a bunch of other honest guys would agree. Your car doesn't look complete without a steering wheel. Or a headliner. Or the left front fender. Or a fendertag. Also, like Bill's example, some are too rusted to put back on a nice resto. I've never flipped anything in my life. Could have tripled my money on both my A12 car and 69 Judge in '06. Too attached; I'll probably die with them in my name, so its not about greed or profit for me. Its not about the money to a whole lot of motorhead enthusiasts.

I don't argue that down the road the repros will be passed as originals and that is plainly, in my mind, dishonest, immoral, and fraudulent. But, 'legitimate reasoning' is subjective; in your mind my reasoning may not pass your scrutiny. And vice-versa.

dstryr, since 1986.
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: gomangoRTSE] #889309
12/29/10 02:01 PM
12/29/10 02:01 PM
minnesota
Kirby Offline
pro stock
Kirby  Offline
pro stock

minnesota
Quote:

I relate Barry to a wanna be cop,the kind that pulls you over b/c your car looks fast and you may break the speeed limit at some point.I am all for busting those actually comitting fraud by swapping/making vin tags but he way oversteps the bounds of his self appointed authority by attacking and threatening anyone who mentions or asks about fender tags,rebodying or restoring basketcases etc.The law is very gray on these matters and contrary to what he beleives he does not know it all.

I will go along with this. I do believe if the chips were down and I were thinking of buying a car and really truely wanted to get information (reliable) information about the car I was buying (due diligence) I would appreciate Barry and his knowledge.

I dont know what private emails go on in private, I do hate to see the fighting tho. It upsets me like seeing family fight when we have get togethers. I too would like to have a build sheet. I dont care if it says COPY on it, I am a talker in person and I would like a conversation piece at the car shows.

The question "Why would someone want a fake fendertag and/or buildsheet want one other than greed or profit" The question bears consideration and I can only answer for myself. Here and now I document I dont have my buildsheet for my car, therefore anyone can place an asterick by my lil name or car. Still I love things like repro items legtimately available in the marketplace such has factory ads, stickers, articles etc. It tells a story about our cars when others show interest at shows or club get togethers etc. I dont think of them as profit centers but I CAN SEE HOW OTHERS WOULD in the hobby. So indeed both sides have legitimate issues. There can be room for disagreement as well as room for compromise in our hobby.

What if your original BS shows up now? Will it always be questioned as a fake- because you stated you didn't have it- and all of a sudden you do? Sorry just

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: dstryr] #889310
12/29/10 02:05 PM
12/29/10 02:05 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Quote:

Please someone give me a legitimate reason why you would REPRODUCE a fender tag other than greed/profit....

I will, and I bet a bunch of other honest guys would agree. You're car doesn't look complete without a steering wheel. Or a headliner. Or the left front fender. Or a fendertag. Also, like Bill's example, some are too rusted to put back on a nice resto. I've never flipped anything in my life. Could have tripled my money on both my A12 car and 69 Judge in '06. Too attached; I'll probably die with them in my name, so its not about greed or profit for me. Its not about the money to a whole lot of motorhead enthusiasts.

I don't argue that down the road the repros will be passed as originals and that is plainly, in my mind, dishonest, immoral, and fraudulent. But, 'legitimate reasoning' is subjective; in your mind my reasoning may not pass your scrutiny. And vice-versa.

And Frank,it's your car,your money.Until someone else spends their money on your car,it's your decision right or wrong to do as you see fit.If you make the wrong decision,then you are the one that suffers the consequences,not the hundreds that respond with their opinions that change nothing.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 70Runnerdude] #889311
12/29/10 02:08 PM
12/29/10 02:08 PM
Sonora, CA
68X426 Offline
enthusiast
68X426  Offline
enthusiast

Sonora, CA
Quote:

6 pages of posts and yet no responses hardly to my questions that originaly started this topic. it is more a Barry aginst Dave post now.

Correct, because it turns out that there is one Dave (Dave number two) that hates Barry more than the other Dave (Dave number one). I think I got the Daves in order (?).

Question is (I am para-phrasing here): are fake fender tags acceptable?

Somebody please post a poll (and not a Dave Dave authority pissing poll): are fake tags ok with you? Yes or No.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language: We are here from the Government and we want to help you. 1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more 1968 Dodge Charger, 318 and not much else 1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383 and loud 1966 Dodge Van, Slant 6 and cool
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Kirby] #889312
12/29/10 02:15 PM
12/29/10 02:15 PM
USA
B
b54406barrel Offline
master
b54406barrel  Offline
master
B

USA
Wow, you go South for a few days & come back see this & know the Christmas spirit is still alive.

I really appreciate Barry for the fact that I was able to send him 'junk' that I was going to toss & he makes it available if someone can identify said junk. Doing that alone for free makes him aces with me. On the other hand, if tags are something a person really wants made, and it's not illegal, then I think they should be able to do that. As far as a fake sale down the road, if I'm the buyer, whether I get bamboozled or a great deal is my responsibility. But, I've always bought cars 'cause I liked 'em, never to make money. If it's your living, I'm sure you might feel different.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 68X426] #889313
12/29/10 02:19 PM
12/29/10 02:19 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Since it was asked....

One question 1 I meant to add the tag is accurate & the info is verified either by having the remains of the original tag, a photo of the tag or in the case of those lucky enough the tag was in a data base like SIAC before the tag disappeared...

Are you ok with reproduction fender tags
single choice
yes
82%, 75 Votes
no
18%, 17 Votes
Total Votes: 92
Voting on this poll ends: 05/30/24 01:16 PM
Are you ok with tags like the Coronet Tag, clearly deceptive
single choice
yes
13%, 12 Votes
no
87%, 81 Votes
Total Votes: 93
Are you ok with modified fender tags that include a line indicating the tag is modified
single choice
yes
73%, 68 Votes
no
27%, 25 Votes
Total Votes: 93
Last edited by 1_WILD_RT; 12/29/10 02:27 PM.
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #889314
12/29/10 02:26 PM
12/29/10 02:26 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Since it was asked....

One question 1 I meant to add the tag is accurate & the info is verified either by having the remains of the original tag, a photo of the tag or in the case of those lucky enough the tag was in a data base like SIAC before the tag disappeared...

Where's the poll for re-bodied cars with real or "fake" tags?

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 70Runnerdude] #889315
12/29/10 02:28 PM
12/29/10 02:28 PM
MO/near Independence& Liberty ...
notnxs383 Offline
top fuel
notnxs383  Offline
top fuel

MO/near Independence& Liberty ...
Since it was asked...
Quote:

.Barry has every right to help or not help whoever he chooss. He is not a highered authority and since we weren't a witness to the phone call or what transpired, it's between him and the OP. 'nuff said.

Phone call was real quick and simple I told Him my name and he quickley cut me off and told me He didnt want to have anything to do with me as he had knew I had made a fake tag and quickly hung up on me. Nothing more nothing less.

Now back in April I posted some questions pertaning to my present car a 70 roadrunner as to the option codes for it so I could have a fender tag made for it as I had lost the tag. I did not know at the time it was an unaccepted pratice and prety much got hammered pretty hard for the post. I then realized that I cant make a tag for it and it wasnt an acceptable thing to do and I left it at that. Only other thing I mentioned in that post was I had Galen Govier make me a tag for my Challenger .

Now fast forward to this week I go to the hamtrack registry and look up my 70 roadrunners vin and the registry run by Barry says it has some dealership info on my roadrunner. I sent an e-mail to Barry asking Him about this and never recieve a response. So I call Him a few days later and got hung up on and accused of pretty much being a disohnest person without being abel even to say 2 words except for my name. In one of Barrys posts he states He made some fender tags in 2005 and made sure all His tags were legit before He made them. I had my previous cars 70 challenger fender tag made by Galen in 2002 or 2003 and He made sure all was legit also, with me sending him my original build sheet lots and lots of pics and the previous owners names and phone numbers before He would even think about it.
That being said how can Barry hold this aginst me if He did the same thing ? I guess my question is if He had made the tag for my challenger would He still have refused to talk to me? The only other thing I can think of is if He wants to hold aginist me is the thought I had of making a tag for my 70 roadrunner wich will not ever happen after a hard lesson learned and a good bashing here on moparts. So now the delership info Barry has on my car will never be known for one of the two reasons stated.

I belive Barry has my posts set to be ignore and he will probably never read any of this unless somone wants to do a quote on this topic. But just wanted to clear up a few things.
Thanks !
Dave Pealer

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: DAYCLONA] #889316
12/29/10 02:30 PM
12/29/10 02:30 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Since it was asked....

Mike, you fully capable of adding another poll....

FWIW there are many thing you post I agree with, But you opinions about rebodies & false documents just doesn't fly...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 69CoronetRT] #889317
12/29/10 02:32 PM
12/29/10 02:32 PM
Orange County, CA
M
Mike H Offline
enthusiast
Mike H  Offline
enthusiast
M

Orange County, CA
Quote:

[

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A spirited post, to say the least. Here's my two cents.

Fender tags and build sheets are not legally required, legally binding, nor illegal to produce or buy/sell.... Nothing immoral about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So are you OK with the remade tag I posted earlier in the thread where major things were changed? Are you OK with selling and reselling the car down the road knowing about the major changes? How would future buyers know about these changes?

/quote]

Yes, I am ok with making major changes to a car. Yes, I am ok with having a tag made to reflect those changes. PERSONALLY, I would trash the tag if I sold the car. But if someone else would leave the tag with the car, misrepresenting it to make more $, or even informing the new buyer the tag was not original, I stand by what I said in an earlier post; the responsibility to make sure you are getting what you pay for is THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE BUYER.

Why would ANYONE pay top $ for something that is easy to imitate, or that can't be verified as authentic? If you personally don't know the history of the car, put your money in gold, for pete's sake.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 70Runnerdude] #889318
12/29/10 02:55 PM
12/29/10 02:55 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

6 pages of posts and yet no responses hardly to my questions that originaly started this topic. it is more a Barry aginst Dave post now.

Hello Dave. My initial post WAS in response to your ordeal. I was trying to convey how rudely you were treated by someone who has no more authority than you or anyone else who has posted here.

I want to make something perfectly clear. Nowhere have I ever stated that criminal, deceptive or manipulative practices should be allowed in this Hobby or anywhere else!! My only point was that these guys who go around verifying and certifying your automobiles, have no more credibility than the "Customers" they charge to "validate" their cars. They are a perfect parallel comparison to the "Clown" in the Holiday Inn Express commercials.

For those who have no idea what ECS Automotive Concepts is all about (or authorized to do) we are a branch/extension of the Automobile Manufactures Association, a Licensed vendor to reproduce Federal VIN Labels for the Automobile manufacturers, a Licensed and Certified OE label supplier for CODA Electric Cars and a preferred vendor for almost every Major Insurance Company. We also work with Federal Agencies as they relate to the Automotive Industry. We are currently working with the CIC and SCRS to change some of the Laws that Govern the VIN program.

Now I know that we pale in comparison to Barry and Galen when it comes to credentials but we are certainly trying to expand our boundaries. In response to people like "SomeCarGuy" who try and group us as some type of illegitimate Company......think whatever you want! I couldn't care less if you assume we have "fake cars" or what ever else a person with an IQ of room temperature thinks. They are all Fake! Especially the four door Valiant. It use to be a HEMI Dart but we made it into a Slant Six. I must admit that guy is a genius....he figured it out! I suggest that he continue to "go down to the local jail" hang out with the "scummy guys" while us honest Authorized and Certified people handle the big stuff! Of course I could do like the "other guys" and use my "Authority" to contact my friends/agencies and make sure that people like "SomeCarGuy" are up to speed in the car he is driving somewhere in Kentucky! (You're not as hidden as you think! We know who you are.)

(Sorry for using the last part of the post to go off topic Dave! Happy Holidays!!)

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: DAYCLONA] #889319
12/29/10 03:25 PM
12/29/10 03:25 PM
kentucky
S
superbyrd Offline
enthusiast
superbyrd  Offline
enthusiast
S

kentucky
Quote:

i would love to see if dayclona is stupid enough to take a rebodied car to the DMV and tell them that he swapped the VIN tag off another car. because,if he doesn't tell it. well,than he is just a fraud. or,you don't tell it,and your still a fraud. unless the laws of every state in the united states,doesn't apply to you....

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: superbyrd] #889320
12/29/10 03:32 PM
12/29/10 03:32 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Hasn't this dead horse been beat on enough. You guys are just saying the same things over and over.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: stumpy] #889321
12/29/10 03:36 PM
12/29/10 03:36 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
No...no... Richard! I have one picture to post that should make many of my friends and confidants very happy! Just give it another hour or so.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: dstryr] #889322
12/29/10 03:55 PM
12/29/10 03:55 PM
nomore65BelvJim Offline
I Live Here
nomore65BelvJim  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

Your car doesn't look complete without a steering wheel. Or a headliner. Or the left front fender. Or a fendertag.

A fender tag is not a part of the car so its an inappropriate comparison.

Quote:

Also, like Bill's example, some are too rusted to put back on a nice resto.

So if its "too rusted" how do you know a "reproduction" tag will be correct?

Quote:

I've never flipped anything in my life. Could have tripled my money on both my A12 car and 69 Judge in '06.

well, good for you! or bad, depending on your perspective I suppose.

Quote:

So if you agree that the "reproduction" tags will be passed off as originals down the road arent you just supporting a future fraudulent act by not making it obvious that it is a non-original tag? Perhaps some "extra stamping" that would make it plain to a blind man that it was in fact not the original?

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889323
12/29/10 04:12 PM
12/29/10 04:12 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

For those who have no idea what ECS Automotive Concepts is all about (or authorized to do) .... We are currently working with the CIC and SCRS to change some of the Laws that Govern the VIN program.

Would that include making it ok to jack up a VIN tag and body stampings and driving a fresh body under them ?

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17