12/28/10 12:32 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

Ah the old memory still not working too well. I am talking about the black rebody that sold at B-J, maybe it was a black 71 for $600K, that sound familair?

This one? Yes, it's a rebody, it sold in 06 for 600K or so. I don't know if Galen outed it but by auction time they pretty much admitted it, but rather than just say "rebody" they went with "Major metal replacment". Interpret that any way you like.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889165
12/28/10 12:33 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889166
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889167
12/28/10 12:34 AM
12/28/10 12:34 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Another description for these is "Envelope Cars"

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889168
12/28/10 12:35 AM
12/28/10 12:35 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
THere is a film clip of the car on stage with the words "it was rebodied, etc"...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889169
12/28/10 12:38 AM
12/28/10 12:38 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Also keep in mind that while 600K is a ton of loot for any car, the fact that it had been rebodied did play into the price paid for it in a negative way. In 2006 a comparable original example without the rebody could have easily eclipsed 7 figures (several did sell privately for that in 2006). In 2006 600K for a triple black 4 speed 71 Hemi Cuda was "cheap"!

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: QuickBpBp] #889170
12/28/10 12:46 AM
12/28/10 12:46 AM
Glendale, AZ
69L78Nova Offline
Banned. Forever.
69L78Nova  Offline
Banned. Forever.

Glendale, AZ
Quote:

I like B-body's and your welcome the Camaro's of Mopar do nothing for me....Nothing special when you go to a show and gotta check your license plate to make sure you got in the right one..

Or better yet have to open the hood to see if you got in the real one

1969 Nova
454/M21/3.31
Mild mid-11 second weekend cruiser

1994 F150 XLT Super Cab 2WD
5.0/4R70W/3.55
(Daily driver)
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 69CoronetRT] #889171
12/28/10 12:48 AM
12/28/10 12:48 AM
Albany, NY
67SATisfaction Offline
The member whose name is actually Art
67SATisfaction  Offline
The member whose name is actually Art

Albany, NY
Quote:

Quote:

.. If the OP is asking for Barry to fabricate a fendertag, that implies that Barry is very skilled at doing it ...no? This means he has done it before.
If so, under what circumstances did Barry make those f.tags? Either way, it appears those circumstances have changed.

Knowing how to do something and doing it are two different things. There are lots of people that COULD help make fake tags. It doesn't mean they have or would.

Your post implies he has helped make fake tags in the past. Do you have any evidence to support that assertion or are you just casting aspersions
on the man's character?

Thank you for your response. I wrote that I intended NO OFFENSE. Please honor the intent with which my question was posted.

Barry, I mean no offense here.

I have no doubt in your integrity. You have stated emphatically you would not do produce a duplicate tag. You even hung up on the OP. You probably want to have nothing more with this thread.

It seems the problem was I used the term 'fabricate' in my post. I apologize for that choice because it got misinterpreted. I meant to "fabricate" as in to produce, manufacture, make. The limit of internet posts is a reader can't always interpret the meaning as well as if it was spoken in conversation. I did not mean 'fake'.

I am sure years ago "the numbers" mattered to only a select few people. I am curious what the conditions were in which someone would make a replacement fendertag assuming an honest intent. Now, the hobby has obviously changed radically and there's major focus on this as forgeries abound. That's what I meant by "circumstances change" and likely the reason you decline to get involved in it.
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: flypaper] #889172
12/28/10 01:31 AM
12/28/10 01:31 AM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

the only thing worse then the create a tag clowns
is a fendertag collector/thief

If you may remember some years back GG hinself had an add for "fender tags wanted".

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 67SATisfaction] #889173
12/28/10 01:56 AM
12/28/10 01:56 AM
Harlan, Iowa
69CoronetRT Offline
master
69CoronetRT  Offline
master

Harlan, Iowa
Quote:

Thank you for your response. I wrote that I intended NO OFFENSE. Please honor the intent with which my question was posted.

Will do.

Seeking:

1969 St. Louis plant VINs, SPD, and VONs.
Over 2,000 thanks to you!
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 67SATisfaction] #889174
12/28/10 02:37 AM
12/28/10 02:37 AM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Art, no offense taken.

My tag definitions for the record;

Original - This one is obvious.

Reproduction - An exact duplicate of the information taken from the original tag or if a record of the original tag information exists, or from a broadcast sheet by someone who knows how in cases where it is possible.

Custom - Made up with no intent to fool anyone, CLONE as the VON is one example. The example I posted yesterday is another.

Fake - If any data was or needs to be guessed at to make it appear as an original.

If a reproduction tag is made (see my definition above) & the car is up for sale, the seller should mention it & include both tags. I know of sales that have not gone through because sellers were not completely honest about this. If the potential buyer hears about it from me instead, they wonder what else the buyer has not disclosed.

Personally, I do not care if a reproduction tag is in italic font as long as ALL the correct data is on it including the original scheduled production date & VON.

Fake tags, & the people that want to have them made I have no use for. It was (and is) pretty obvious what someone in this thread was trying to do in the other thread. If anything has to be guessed at, I call it a fake tag.

That said.....

I did offer a service for a short while in 2005 where I would help folks with broadcast sheets with their tag layouts for a fee. In two cases I knew what was on the original tags even though they were no longer with the cars at the time & no broadcast sheet was present. Some folks send information from stuff in their collections with no intent of giving up the original or wanting their names known. I still made the owners jump through some hoops.

Once the tag layout was done I would have the tag made then send it to them. In one case a factory error was corrected that bugged the owner, it simply needed a space inserted.

No tags were made that that did not contain the correct information for the car, there were approximately ten of them total.

One of those cars was for sale a few times not long after, & folks did ask me about the tag because it looked 'new'. In every case I told them that it was a new tag with the correct info on it that I supplied from my files.

I stopped offering it as a service for a fee for two reasons;

An incredible amount of folks contacted me wanting fender tag layouts that 'can not be spotted as fake', when they had a big fat 0 to go on. This really opened my eyes to the dark side of the hobby, yes, it is real.

The other reason is that I did not like the way I felt after contact with people like that. I learned a lot from that experience.

If I were a greedy man, I could have made a lot of money. Instead, I chose to protect unwary buyers from the bottom feeders who prey on them. I have learned an incredible amount from the folks that have sent raw, original data in. I have chosen to use that education to help honest people needing honest answers. If I ever betray that trust I know the data sources will dry up.

Fake fender tags are an epidemic in our hobby. I said that a few years ago & one guy laughed at me. Most folks just have no clue how common they are.

One other note, on the occasional thread where I point out FAKE tags, the font does not enter into consideration, only historical impossibilities.

Like it or not, the good & bad among you have had a very great influence on what I do and how I do it. The good influences are used against the bad, get used to it, I am not going away.

I sleep very good at night & it has been a pleasure serving those that truly needed honest answers.

Barry Washington

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: JoesMopar] #889175
12/28/10 03:06 AM
12/28/10 03:06 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

I have to chime in here for myself.

I'm strictly against making fake tags and such. But the comments like "what do you want it for unless you want to sell it" are just BS.

I have a '77 Monaco cop car, has the VIN, door tag, emissions tag, etc all in place and the sequential number matches the radiator support, block, etc. The fender tags are missing and so is the buildsheet (though I haven't looked hard for it), is it wrong for me to not want them just for my own amusement? I know what's on the car, is it not ok to add the codes that you know are on the car? Even if you add the minimum that must be on the car, I just want to see something screwed in there, especially the "special handling" tag that's missing.

Sure, if you throw in a line that has an obvious giveaway that your tag is "just for fun", then sure.

How many guys are going to stop at that point? When a 100K payday is on the line, many claiming to be "wearing a white hat" will put on a black one real quick. To think the temptation isn't going to overpower integrity for the right car is pretty naive to say the least.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Alaskan_TA] #889176
12/28/10 03:12 AM
12/28/10 03:12 AM
Sonora, CA
68X426 Offline
enthusiast
68X426  Offline
enthusiast

Sonora, CA
That just answered the question: who is Barry Washington.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language: We are here from the Government and we want to help you. 1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more 1968 Dodge Charger, 318 and not much else 1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383 and loud 1966 Dodge Van, Slant 6 and cool
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Alaskan_TA] #889177
12/28/10 03:22 AM
12/28/10 03:22 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Barry Washington for President!!

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 68X426] #889178
12/28/10 03:31 AM
12/28/10 03:31 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

The question should not be "who" these guys are but by what AUTHORITY are they operating under. First of all, I would like to know who delegated this authoritative jurisdiction that empowers them to tell ANYONE what is right, wrong or indifferent?!? Was it Marshall Matt Dillon or Sheriff Andy Taylor? How about Sergeant Joe Friday? Heck, it could have been Starsky and Hutch who deputized these SELF PROCLAIMED enforcers.

I say do what you want and tell the self righteous Hypocrites (who make money from trying to enforce their views and opinions) to Shove It!

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889179
12/28/10 03:38 AM
12/28/10 03:38 AM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Quote:

That answer is.....

Nobody. Just one guy who hates fraud. In the big scheme of things, yep, nobody.

Quote:

I say do what you want and tell the self righteous Hypocrites (who make money from trying to enforce their views and opinions) to Shove It!

Dave,
If that was directed at me, I can assure you that no money is made here, I lose money. Other than that call me any names you like, I can take it. I deffinately have opinions.

Barry

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Alaskan_TA] #889180
12/28/10 04:01 AM
12/28/10 04:01 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

....I can assure you that no money is made here, I lose money......I deffinately have opinions.

Then maybe you should charge more for selling your "opinions" and CD's etc..... It doesn't take a genius to see that guys like you are no different than those you criticize! They feel one way, you feel another. You don't like their way of thinking so you treat them rudely! Who gave you the right to "fix" a factory error and it still be considered correct? I think you ruined the tag for that person but I guess when you make the rules for the "factory" and everyone else, that is considered okay. You can change fender tags the "right" way but other people who change them do it the "wrong" way! A first grader could read your responses and see the self proclaimed authority you seem to feel you have a right to. You reference the term "I" more than an optometrist does throughout their entire career! Again, what agency do you work for that has commissioned you to make the comments that you come here and so boldly express? Maybe you could perform a "citizens arrest" on me (like Gomer Pyle used to do) for disagreeing with your opinions!

"If a reproduction tag is made (see MY definition above) & the car is up for sale, the seller should mention it & include both tags."
"Personally, I do not care if a reproduction tag is in italic font as long as..."
"I would have the tag made then send it to them. In one case a factory error was corrected that bugged the owner, it simply needed a space inserted."
"I still made the owners jump through some hoops."
"I did offer a service for a short while in 2005 where I would help folks with broadcast sheets with their tag layouts for a fee."
"I would have the tag made then send it to them."
"I point out FAKE tags"
"I chose to protect unwary buyers from the bottom feeders who prey on them."

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889181
12/28/10 04:27 AM
12/28/10 04:27 AM
Q
quick77rt Offline
Parts Problem
quick77rt  Offline
Parts Problem
Q

"If a reproduction tag is made (see MY definition above) & the car is up for sale, the seller should mention it & include both tags."
"Personally, I do not care if a reproduction tag is in italic font as long as..."
"I would have the tag made then send it to them. In one case a factory error was corrected that bugged the owner, it simply needed a space inserted."
"I still made the owners jump through some hoops."
"I did offer a service for a short while in 2005 where I would help folks with broadcast sheets with their tag layouts for a fee."
"I would have the tag made then send it to them."
"I point out FAKE tags"
"I chose to protect unwary buyers from the bottom feeders who prey on them."

Ok GOD (Dave) has spoken....for better or worse, every since them roles of fake blank BC sheets got posted and saying none got out and then it became clear at least one did...hmmm

Behind all your cars money and BS there are many feel your just as much as the problem as anyone else.

That is the perception of some, reality...only you know Dave.

It dont matter how many names you toss around, how you have done this,that ect...many dont care.

You it seems have much more of an agenda in the mopar world then most.

Just keeping those rolls of BC sheets around for conversation I guess, huh?

Who are you anyway?...who cares.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: quick77rt ] #889182
12/28/10 05:25 AM
12/28/10 05:25 AM
Alabama
BigMoneyLewis Offline
master
BigMoneyLewis  Offline
master

Alabama
This topic is getting so hot I had to go put on some oven mits . Personally ,I think it is fantastic that guys like Barry try to enforce some type of justice, here in the wild west we call, "the mopar hobby" . Their is so much fraud
and deception in our hobby. Restamped blocks, incorrect fendertags, Altered VINS , etc.
The day is probably near when some joker will even stoop so low as to attempt to tool up and create acurate looking reproduction buildsheets .
It would not suprise me one bit .
But the bottom line is , nobody has to appoint you "sheriff" or anything, for you to desire to help people in a positive way . Reuniting people with numbers matching blocks, lost buildsheets, etc.
as well as informing someone that the FM3 4 speed T/A they are interested in buying is actually an FF4 automatic that was altered, all those things are good things, positive things.
You should not feel ofended or threatened that someone is acting all "high and mighty" just because they will not endorse fabricated documentation. Hey, diffrent strokes for diffrent folks . Some of us wear white hats, and some don't . It's just in your blood. Integrity, honor, etc. are traits some have more so than others, and some people enjoy helping other people .
The bottom line is this...fabricated documentation is bad . Period, end of story .
And I didn't need a sheriff's badge to say that .

Greg

gregward@mchsi.com phone 256-852-0955
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ECS] #889183
12/28/10 05:33 AM
12/28/10 05:33 AM
MO/near Independence& Liberty ...
notnxs383 Offline
top fuel
notnxs383  Offline
top fuel

MO/near Independence& Liberty ...
Quote:

I say do what you want

that about sums it up, without all your other garble. Nice business model btw

Man, these guys shoulda went through ECS, huh?
http://www.northwestmoinfo.com/pages/8795748.php?

guess they didn't know they could get "legit" vin's, fender tags, whatever they needed, dumbazzes

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17