12/08/10 02:45 PM
12/08/10 02:45 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Cut thru all the BS.. and I loved the show, I loved the concept of the show and I loved what it did for the sport of drag racing..

What I didnt like is how unfair the show was..

We participated in 5 Pinks All Out shows over the years.. Drove from Las Vegas all the way up to Washington.. and for all 5 races, they picked low to mid 10 second cars..

Yeah, ok, I'll concede, there are more mid 10 second cars than others.. and yeah, the ET's might have been tighter grouped.. But I didnt see any appreciation for the thousands of dollars I spent to tow my car to the track... only to be window dressing..

In the first couple of years, when family and friends sat around the tube when the show first aired.. we all got a kick outta seeing the car.. seeing ourselfs and/or seeing friends on the silver screen.. But this last year, with the new format.. it was just pathetic and I kinda take it as if Rich (and company) no longer cared about us peons that helped to make the show what it was..

(rant over)

Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: Jeepmon] #873912
12/08/10 02:58 PM
12/08/10 02:58 PM
Seaford, Va
Kindafast Offline
top fuel
Kindafast  Offline
top fuel

Seaford, Va
Quote:

Cut thru all the BS.. and I loved the show, I loved the concept of the show and I loved what it did for the sport of drag racing..

We participated in 5 Pinks All Out shows over the years.. Drove from Las Vegas all the way up to Washington.. and for all 5 races, they picked low to mid 10 second cars..

Yeah, ok, I'll concede, there are more mid 10 second cars than others.. and yeah, the ET's might have been tighter grouped.. But I didnt see any appreciation for the thousands of dollars I spent to tow my car to the track... only to be window dressing..

In the first couple of years, when family and friends sat around the tube when the show first aired.. we all got a kick outta seeing the car.. seeing ourselfs and/or seeing friends on the silver screen.. But this last year, with the new format.. it was just pathetic and I kinda take it as if Rich (and company) no longer cared about us peons that helped to make the show what it was..

(rant over)

It funny you bring that up. I emailed Rich about the show new format back when it first came on. I explained how we all go for the money first but also for our 15 seconds of fame. I made the 16 at VMP this year but I thought the new format was a major wrong turn.

6.50 @105.26
Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: chris3] #873913
12/08/10 03:00 PM
12/08/10 03:00 PM
Puyallup, WA
S
StealthWedge67 Offline
master
StealthWedge67  Offline
master
S

Puyallup, WA
I'm going to fall on the side of defending Rich Christianson. Rich would probobly be the first guy to tell you that he's a TV show producer, NOT a drag racer. You guys act as though that makes him an idiot. Let me ask.... How many TV shows have any of us produced? Does that mean that we're all idiots? Doesn't work so well when the tables are turned, does it?

Listen, A VERY strong case can be made that Rich Christianson has done more for ametuer drag racing than just about anyone in the past 40 years. You don't like his style.... That's your issue. His style seems to be working for him. Does he come across as a little over the top, and overly-dramatic? Yeah, probably. So What? The guy put US in the national limelight, and started handing us money.... Where do you think the health of our sport would be, in the midst of the worst economic times of our generation, without his vision and TV show?

As for me, you won't catch me saying anything negative about Rich Christianson.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120
Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: Dartari] #873914
12/08/10 03:04 PM
12/08/10 03:04 PM
T
TMP66 Offline
super stock
TMP66  Offline
super stock
T

Quote:

Really like it or not it put drag racing into the lime light tell me what other racing venue are you going to race where you have a chance of a good payout and possibly see yourself on tv and how about the track owners having a chance of making money its never good when a show about our sport gets canceled.

I bet this was a much needed shot in the arm in this economy for some of the tracks that hosted the shows. I also wonder how many people got inspired after watching the show and went to their local track on a Friday night to run their daily driver or got back into racing if they quit years ago.

Every little bit helps keeps us all able to enjoy drag racing.

Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: Hemi Allstate] #873915
12/08/10 03:14 PM
12/08/10 03:14 PM
Mesa, AZ
B
Bill_T Offline
mopar
Bill_T  Offline
mopar
B

Mesa, AZ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What a shame, No matter what the idiots on the show did , it brought grassroots drag racing to the public better than anything has in a lot of years. RIP

X3 or is it 4?

x again.

On the small nitrous shot issue, be sure to watch the last episode filmed at Firebird....

Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: Jeepmon] #873916
12/08/10 03:24 PM
12/08/10 03:24 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

like when your E.T. average was right in the middle of what they picked and you never get your number called.

Other than that I had a great time with family, friend's and the knowlege of knowing that I was going to cost them too much in make-up to put me on camera.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: StealthWedge67] #873917
12/08/10 04:17 PM
12/08/10 04:17 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Quote:

Rich would probobly be the first guy to tell you that he's a TV show producer, NOT a drag racer. You guys act as though that makes him an idiot.

When someone... anyone... takes something that is working.. a fan favorite and turns it into reality garbage television.. and gets it cancelled because us fans refused to watch this new format... Yeah.. he is an idiot..

If I saw Rich C. walking down the street.. I would still shake his hand and thank him for what he has done.. and... then tell him he has lost me as a fan..

Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: StealthWedge67] #873918
12/08/10 04:40 PM
12/08/10 04:40 PM
Michigan
S
Super Scamp Offline
mopar
Super Scamp  Offline
mopar
S

Michigan
Quote:

I'm going to fall on the side of defending Rich Christianson. Rich would probobly be the first guy to tell you that he's a TV show producer, NOT a drag racer. You guys act as though that makes him an idiot. Let me ask.... How many TV shows have any of us produced? Does that mean that we're all idiots? Doesn't work so well when the tables are turned, does it?

Listen, A VERY strong case can be made that Rich Christianson has done more for ametuer drag racing than just about anyone in the past 40 years. You don't like his style.... That's your issue. His style seems to be working for him. Does he come across as a little over the top, and overly-dramatic? Yeah, probably. So What? The guy put US in the national limelight, and started handing us money.... Where do you think the health of our sport would be, in the midst of the worst economic times of our generation, without his vision and TV show?

If anyone of the so called street racers had a glimps of a clue about the drag racing from the eyes of a racer that lived at a race track most of my life. This was a show that gave us racers a shot in the arm as said in this forum. I might not agree with the personal or the way it was run ,but it was a show that is the stepping stone for "AIR TIME" grass roots racing.
I drive 8 second bracket cars and a thiers a rare chance that I would never end up on a show.

6345742-2010TT002.jpg (21 downloads)

Just One Man's Opinion Mopar Mafia Racing
Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: Super Scamp] #873919
12/08/10 05:20 PM
12/08/10 05:20 PM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline
master
Diego_Ted  Offline
master

Diego-Town, CA
OK, my turn. I think he did wonders for the little guy, the guy who had dreams of racing and maybe getting a little cash and airtime. So he gave us a little fame and fortune. Did he and the show profit, you bet! Did the tracks profit, again, you bet they did. Is Rich a car guy, I think he is, is he a fanatic like us? No, therefore we cannot compare him to us, expect him to think like us or be disapointed when he does something different from what we would do. He was running a production and did a good job, he tried to modify the format for the better, did it work, probably not, for most part the show was fun. However, it always was about “THE SHOW” and getting sponcers. Is the grass roots racer better off after PAO, I think we are. Would we welcome him back with open arms? You bet I would.

Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: Diego_Ted] #873920
12/08/10 05:24 PM
12/08/10 05:24 PM
Seaford, Va
Kindafast Offline
top fuel
Kindafast  Offline
top fuel

Seaford, Va
Quote:

OK, my turn. I think he did wonders for the little guy, the guy who had dreams of racing and maybe getting a little cash and airtime. So he gave us a little fame and fortune. Did he and the show profit, you bet! Did the tracks profit, again, you bet they did. Is Rich a car guy, I think he is, is he a fanatic like us? No, therefore we cannot compare him to us, expect him to think like us or be disapointed when he does something different from what we would do. He was running a production and did a good job, he tried to modify the format for the better, did it work, probably not, for most part the show was fun. However, it always was about “THE SHOW” and getting sponcers. Is the grass roots racer better off after PAO, I think we are. Would we welcome him back with open arms? You bet I would.

I couldn't have said it better

6.50 @105.26
Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: Kindafast] #873921
12/08/10 06:05 PM
12/08/10 06:05 PM
Clinton Township, Michigan
D
Dartin Offline
super stock
Dartin  Offline
super stock
D

Clinton Township, Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

I couldn't have said it better

I agree. My wife had never been involved in my racing until we got in. Now it has become a family thing and that has made it all worth while to me. If the show continues I will try again for sure. For the haters, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Pretty simple.....

Randy

Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: Kindafast] #873922
12/08/10 06:24 PM
12/08/10 06:24 PM
Southwestern Ontario Canada
racealittle Offline
pro stock
racealittle  Offline
pro stock

Southwestern Ontario Canada
Pinks was "reality tv" for a very small genre and viewing audience (by percentage of all televison offered to view); but, as the speed channel said it was one of their most watched shows.

I know the owner of Milan Dragway, and he would like to hold a Pinks every month. It's not everyday you get 30,000 people at your track.

Whether you like the host, or not, at least someone was trying to create reality entertainment with drag racing as the theme the show was built around. All the "drama and hype", take for whatever you want.

I studied television production and worked on some shows. The original Pinks was a great show, until it started turning kind of Jerry Springer. By this I mean phoney, giving cars back, etc.
Rich turned an idea, into another, and another, and eventually the "All Out" version. This was high dollar entertainment.

I finally made it to the last Norwalk show and crew chief for a buddy. I had the opportunity to observe the behind the scene prep and production. Rich was no longer following the rules of the show, but rather making televison the way HE wanted to see it.

I would have loved to be involved in the production of that show, trying to keep it real though, and involving perhaps 3 levels of cars represented at the show, not just the mainstream that was self created by the participants who slowed their cars down to the perceived field to be chosen. I know many cars were not really running all out. The Norwalk show seen in person made this very evident to me. That 632 ci Chevelle that made it to the finals was a first class sandbagger. That car was much faster than he was running it. When he broke ($10,000 hose clamp), it was Rich who solely made the decision to give time to fix that car. These were supposed to be hotlaps to the final win. The woman with the Pacer became a fan favorite early. She was truly running all out; a very competent driver.

I could pick it apart more, but it was just a "reality tv" show. Does it really matter?

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!
Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: kdhull] #873923
12/09/10 12:11 AM
12/09/10 12:11 AM
Mooresburg, Tn
'
'72CudaRacer Offline
top fuel
'72CudaRacer  Offline
top fuel
'

Mooresburg, Tn
Hi Kermit,
I haven't made any plans for 2011 as of yet. Planning to run at Bristol as much as I can. As far as running in jan, we probably will be still snowed in the way it looks now. But I'm always ready for a road trip!

Brian Dunnigan

Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: chris3] #873924
12/09/10 12:26 AM
12/09/10 12:26 AM
Ohio
Bratt Racing Offline
enthusiast
Bratt Racing  Offline
enthusiast

Ohio
Sorry to see the show leave. We raced Norwalk OH 2008 yellow barracuda. Had the time of our life. The Ross family let us join them on the starting line. Daughter raced Dave Ross in one time trial. It go aired because he was the winner. Went to ZMAX 2009 had the time of our life again. Since we had 2 sisters racers they did all kinds of interviewing spent 30 to 45 mins on each one took a lot of film.. Funny thing was non of the filming made the show. Yellow barracuda engine blew up at the finish line. Rich gave us a moment of silence even prayed for us. That never aired as much as he likes mopars. so to us the filming of the racers is a bunch of bull. it never gets aired. But all in all met a lot of nice people. Pited with Chris3 and met a few other mopar people RonP. Drove from Ohio to Zmax. Then had the time of our life twice. Hate to see the show leave. This year we ran NHRA ULeashed. It was just as much fun. Hope it keeps going. We are a family race team Mother, Father and 2 daughters. WE enjoy every minute of it. Go MOPARS.

Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: StealthWedge67] #873925
12/09/10 02:33 AM
12/09/10 02:33 AM
South Jersey
kruger Offline
Yours Too!
kruger  Offline
Yours Too!

South Jersey
Quote:

and Howard Cosell comes to mind. :biggrin

Re: Pinks All Out Done! [Re: Bratt Racing] #873926
12/09/10 10:27 AM
12/09/10 10:27 AM
NC
chris3 Offline
mopar
chris3  Offline
mopar

NC
Hey, Bratt Racing. It was a lot of fun that week-end at Z-Max. We met a lot of nice family racing teams like us out on the Pinks All Out trail. By the way if you didn't hear we put two rods "All Out" at Virginia. We did enjoy all of our road trips to Pinks All Out. Now thinking about NHRA Unleashed until Pinks All Out comes back. You folks and all of our friends from our travels with Pinks, have a good holiday.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3