A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

If a US pilot can fly a plane with 300 passengers aboard above populated cities with up to a .04 blood alcohol level, I think one man can safely race one other man after blowing a .027.

"Zero Tolerance" is just plain foolish.

I wonder how many racers have been disqualified for eating a poppy seed bagel before a race, or a hot dog with a poppy seed bun. Either one can make you test positive for opiates

THERE you go .... and what-is-up with this "rule" anyways ?

Did this happen when Bud pulled all their major-$$$$ out of NHRA ?

The testing started back in the ninty's after the Alderman's problem happened. When I was working for NHRA I built steps into the mobil office trailer set up for testing the next year at the Gators.

You have to remember, testing costs money, need I say more.

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #804869
09/19/10 08:36 PM
09/19/10 08:36 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Chris2581 Offline
master
Chris2581  Offline
master

Jacksonville, FL
Quote:

So when are they going to test everyone. Sportsman included.
I don't know a single sportsman driver who has done a blow test.
My point being, why just the Pros?
Man oh man, there would be a bunch of suspended sportsman drivers based on a ZERO breath test..

This whole thing stinks..

Chris..

Sportsman class drivers are tested all the time.

Nautilus Racing-
We use Superformance gaskets and Turbo Action converters/products.
Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #804870
09/19/10 09:01 PM
09/19/10 09:01 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

I love AJ....but he gets no sympathy from me on this one.

He's a professional....he has people who relate to what he does off and on the track. This probably was a fluke....it probably is explainable. But, when you do it for a living, and your in the goldfish bowl, you've got to be extra careful. You may not like it, it may not be fair, but that is the way it is. It comes with the job.

I doubt they do anything more to him....but, he knows better.

You that are more Holy than others need to take a look in the mirror.

I can't believe some of the comments here.
He wasn't driving the race car. Qualifying didn't start for a couple hours. If he would have been given the 15 min CDL rule he could have gone back to his trailer and brushed his teeth, ate something, and most likely passed, and still had a couple hours before qualifying.

So when are they going to test everyone. Sportsman included. I don't know a single sportsman driver who has done a blow test.
Man oh man, there would be a bunch of suspended sportsman drivers based on a ZERO breath test..

Chris..

Chris they do test sportsman racers at National Events....it's random

Rickster

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: rickstershemi] #804871
09/19/10 10:29 PM
09/19/10 10:29 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He's a professional....he has people who relate to what he does off and on the track. This probably was a fluke....it probably is explainable. But, when you do it for a living, and your in the goldfish bowl, you've got to be extra careful. You may not like it, it may not be fair, but that is the way it is. It comes with the job.

He wasn't driving the race car. Qualifying didn't start for a couple hours. If he would have been given the 15 min CDL rule he could have gone back to his trailer and brushed his teeth, ate something, and most likely passed, and still had a couple hours before qualifying.

So when are they going to test everyone. Sportsman included. I don't know a single sportsman driver who has done a blow test.

Chris..

Rickster

That may be true Rick, but I've never seen it or heard of any Sportsman driver tested.

BTW, just saw the rule on the telecast and it states "all competitors while at the racing premises"..

So I would guess about 80% of the drivers would be in violation at almost every event.. (ZERO on the breath test)..

Don't get me wrong here.. I hate drunk drivers, most are fools.. But you are putting people in a bad way here by basically insinuating they are a drunk race car driver because you blow .02... (AJ wasn't driving).. CDL is .02 and the 15 min. rule. But then you are only put off duty, (when that close and if not operating the Vehicle). Then back on duty I believe after 8 hrs.

Stupid rule, just plain stupid.. IMO..

If NHRA really believes their crap, they should test ALL drivers just before going up to staging each and every time.
Then what about crew members, pretty dangerous up at the staging lanes.. Next the fans, got to be alert because it's dangerous out there..

Chris..

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: ] #804872
09/19/10 10:36 PM
09/19/10 10:36 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Online penguin-006
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Online Penguin-006
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

The testing started back in the ninty's after the Alderman's problem happened. When I was working for NHRA I built steps into the mobil office trailer set up for testing the next year at the Gators.

You have to remember, testing costs money, need I say more.

BUT ....this heavy-handed ?

When I was a NHRA sponsor and attended A LOT of national events the booze(especially Bud and Miller beer) that was being consumed by other sponsors and drivers was amazing.

I never saw any driver DRUNK .. but feeling-real-good ....roger that ...

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #804873
09/19/10 10:59 PM
09/19/10 10:59 PM
CA
J
JulieJordan Offline
enthusiast
JulieJordan  Offline
enthusiast
J

CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

Rickster

That may be true Rick, but I've never seen it or heard of any Sportsman driver tested.

BTW, just saw the rule on the telecast and it states "all competitors while at the racing premises"..

So I would guess about 80% of the drivers would be in violation at almost every event.. (ZERO on the breath test)..

Don't get me wrong here.. I hate drunk drivers, most are fools.. But you are putting people in a bad way here by basically insinuating they are a drunk race car driver because you blow .02... (AJ wasn't driving).. CDL is .02 and the 15 min. rule. But then you are only put off duty, (when that close and if not operating the Vehicle). Then back on duty I believe after 8 hrs.

Stupid rule, just plain stupid.. IMO..

If NHRA really believes their crap, they should test ALL drivers just before going up to staging each and every time.
Then what about crew members, pretty dangerous up at the staging lanes.. Next the fans, got to be alert because it's dangerous out there..

Chris..

I was pulled for random testing at Pomona a few years back and know lots of Sportsman drivers in the Stock & SS ranks who have been selected. It's very common.

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #804874
09/19/10 11:21 PM
09/19/10 11:21 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

I have a friend who has been racing a V/SA car for 4 years. He's been tested twice. Once at a national event and once at a divisional.

6205815-TriState005.jpg (45 downloads)

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: slantzilla] #804875
09/19/10 11:34 PM
09/19/10 11:34 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

I have a friend who has been racing a V/SA car for 4 years. He's been tested twice. Once at a national event and once at a divisional.

See... Now I have.. Maybe those drivers have a reputation for tipping too many..

But my point is still being missed.. Oh well.

Chris..

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #804876
09/20/10 08:46 AM
09/20/10 08:46 AM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
Really, it's just another reason to be hassled by THE MAN!!!

Up the Establishment!

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: Steve1118] #804877
09/20/10 11:49 AM
09/20/10 11:49 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Really, it's just another reason to be hassled by THE MAN!!!

Up the Establishment!

Sorry, but Moparts does not allow anti establishment thoughts to voiced.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: jcc] #804878
09/20/10 12:12 PM
09/20/10 12:12 PM
PA
moparacer Offline
master
moparacer  Offline
master

PA
Quote:

I like to see them do something like that at some bracket races some time.....

They would find a heck of a lot more then alcohol in some....

67 Barracuda street/bracket car 11.27-119
68 Dart 502 BB 8.70s-152
414 cid SB Dragster 7.65-174
Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: jcc] #804879
09/20/10 12:24 PM
09/20/10 12:24 PM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
Oh the political correctness in this country...
SUCKS.

If only we really were free, we could speak and do as we please with our lips minds and bodies.

It aint happening.

Bow to big brother, corps and religious do gooders
and

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: theclutcher] #804880
09/20/10 01:15 PM
09/20/10 01:15 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
Quote:

Oh the political correctness in this country...
SUCKS.

that's a big 10-4

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: jamesc] #804881
09/20/10 03:16 PM
09/20/10 03:16 PM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Between a rock & a hard place
Some of the comments here are VERY

1) NHRA's been ramdom tesing ALL drivers for years.

2) There is a ZERO tollerance that applies.

3) AJ blew something more than ZERO.

4) He explained himself and I'm SURE he didn't think what he consumed the night before would be an issue. I wouldn't have either...

It's NHRA's deal and like it or not, it's their rules.

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: cudadoug] #804882
09/20/10 03:43 PM
09/20/10 03:43 PM
Wheels up, MO
N
nhramark Offline
master
nhramark  Offline
master
N

Wheels up, MO
Allens mistake was not waiting to take the test as he was allowed to do. You can bet no other drivers will make that mistake again.

Allen said he supports NHRA and their rules and that he will abide by whatever penalties NHRA assess.

NHRA had NO CHOICE but to follow their own rules on this and DQ him for the event.

Hopefully, considering AJ's acceptance of the ruling, statements of support of NHRA, and his apology, NHRA will finally make a smart decision and not impose any further penalty. AJ will have recieved a substantial setback and everyone can move on.

[image]http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/nhramark1/library/Racing[/image] 9.100 @ 150 mph 5.780 @ 120 mph
Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: nhramark] #804883
09/20/10 03:53 PM
09/20/10 03:53 PM
Detroit,MI
B
BADDART Offline
enthusiast
BADDART  Offline
enthusiast
B

Detroit,MI
Mark- that pretty much sums it up in my book! Chris

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: nhramark] #804884
09/20/10 05:07 PM
09/20/10 05:07 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

NHRA had NO CHOICE but to follow their own rules on this and DQ him for the event.

So if NHRA realised by its own rules he had a 24 hr window, and they had half a brain and realised maybe the rule was not achieving the desired resultt, all they had to do was say let us check calibrattion of the machine, and come back in a couple of hours. And Before the next event change the rules that if any reading exceeding a minor amount(#?), you have the option of not racing say for 2? hours and retaking the test. Come guys, rules aren't in stone, they are seldom pewrfect (sp? ), and nearly always have unintended consequences, and can be improved.

There are choices if you man/smart enough to make them.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: jcc] #804885
09/20/10 06:27 PM
09/20/10 06:27 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
master
C

Arizona
As an example of a bad rule that was changed a week later was:
Jim Furyk in the PGA Golf tourney, when he missed his pro am tee time. He was suspended from the entire tourney, even though the Pro-Am was a volunteer event.
So when Phil Mickelson voiced his opinion very harshly, the rule was changed the next week. The penalty didn't match the violation and it cost Furyk a chance for the Fed Ex Cup.. $10,000,000.00 first place.

If AJ was just banned for that day (pending him coming back with a ZERO) and a hefty fine, the penalty would be enough punishment..IMO..

Chris..

Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #804886
09/20/10 10:18 PM
09/20/10 10:18 PM
Oconomowoc, WI.
C
Cudahlr Offline
mopar
Cudahlr  Offline
mopar
C

Oconomowoc, WI.
A.J. was tested on Saturday morning, and as of round 2 qualifying Friday he was #7. In my opinion NHRA should have let him sit out Saturday qualifying, and if his number still stands after round 4 was over and he would still be qualified, they should test him again on Sunday Morning and let him run.

If that would have took place, he would have ended up qualified # 10 and would have ran against Shane Gray and then bumped K.J. out

Just my

1968 Barracuda 360/727 11.20 @ 121 mph 421 rwhp
1985 Harley Sportster Bobber
2006 Ram 2500 sport - The Cudahlr
Re: ALLEN JOHNSON DQ'ED FROM NHRA O'REILLY NATS [Re: Cudahlr] #804887
09/20/10 11:34 PM
09/20/10 11:34 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
M
moparatheart Offline
mopar
moparatheart  Offline
mopar
M

Fort Wayne, IN
should of been set out for 24 hours then retested to see what he was on race day. By a show of hands I can bet not many would raise their hands if asked " Who did not go out and have a few drinks with their sponsors at dinner!" I do also understand that rules are rules and should not be bent. I respect the fact that he didnt think he was in any Jeopardy or he wouldn't of ran over first thing in the morning so willingly without eating a thing..........Sorry Allen this had to happen, but don't let it destroy you because then whomever put a bug in someones ear will win......... Your still a very well respected man in my book and many other fans eyes...ps Karma is a b****...........

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5