09/10/10 12:20 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Quote:

Of course World/Mopar Performance never did anything about the useless block or the machining.

Uh...nobody from MM told MP about it

In fact, since the "World" style block's inception, nobody from Muscle Motors has ever called Mopar Performance about problems with that product. Ever.....so I don't understand that statement.

If the block was purchased from World instead of Chrysler, that's a whole other deal I won't get involved with....

Just saying

General comments:
Re: lack of a build sheet...I'm not sure it's all that abnormal to not get one....an aquaintance bought a 360 street engine from Koffels in the late '90s for something like 4 grand, bugged them for a build sheet for months afterwards and never got one. Another bought a Booth Aarons motor, and he had no idea what cam was in it because they would never tell him.

Like alot of others I prefer to do as much as I can myself (except machine work) and deal with the consequences....

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: - [Re: Old School] #796347
09/10/10 12:33 PM
09/10/10 12:33 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Not trying to pile on here, but several years ago i posted an issue a real good friend of mine had with MM doing a " stage 2"port job on a set of eddie heads that resided on top of his 408 motor they built that was 12.5 to 1 compression that was a dog at the track( high 11's with pretty darn good combo).

I took the heads off for him and had them sent to a well known mopar builder on here. He looked them over and said basically nothing had been done to them..just shined the intake ports a tiny bit and removed no metal, to make it appear they had been massaged.He was far from happy with the valve job also.
This guy ported the heads to the level my buddy had expected MM to have done in the first place, and the car goes 11 flat on a 90 degree day up here in michigan..6 tenths difference!!!! from 113 mph to 120.This was first time out with it.

They finally did make some sort of restitution, i honestly dont remember what it was now,this was about 4/5 years ago...but the point is, he was charged for work that out and out wasnt done in the first place. So, i am not really surprised to read this post and others...its frankly a continuing saga with MM.
Its a real good reason why i have taken any motors i have had built over the years out of my immediate neighborhood( i am very near MM) and had the work done elsewhere, where i had nary a lick of trouble, either at Hensley or Best Machine.
Both of whom i would recommend to anybody.

Edit..in fairness i should mention my buddy was running a 750 on his combo that i had him replace with a 950 from summit( just a box stock proform unit i sat the float bowls and idle on for him prior to that outing, nothing more) i suspect that accounted for maybe 10-15% of his ET increase, but not a solid 6 tenths and 7 MPH. The combo was otherwise identical to what he ran previously. just the head work, new valve job and carb change.

Last edited by B3422W5; 09/10/10 12:42 PM.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: - [Re: Old School] #796348
09/10/10 12:52 PM
09/10/10 12:52 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

My motor from BEST came with its built sheet attached and all my unused parts came back as well.
The engine was flawless. Class act guys.

Everyone makes mistakes on both sides, we're all human, but to not get a call back as soon as the RED light goes on in the delivery room is uncalled for, literally.

Re: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten!" [Re: 1BadMeepMeep] #796349
09/10/10 01:16 PM
09/10/10 01:16 PM
West Michigan, Usa.
K
killersix Offline
enthusiast
killersix  Offline
enthusiast
K

West Michigan, Usa.
Well I sat out the last bashing and even sent Mike a nice personal e-mail telling him so.Same basic thing just happened to a good friend who I met after his $18000.00 plus purchase of a turn key Max-wedge clone. Another simple case of quality issue on assembley of block where two mishaped core/ soft plugs were installed with less then 1/16th of lip on the edge. One blew out a Martin/ 131 at the big end dumping the water on the track. Luckily he didn't crash. Pulled the other bad one and Larry sent it to them to let them know what happened and nicely expressed his displeasure with it. Only asked for an acknowledgement not restituion. {75 cents?}. Three weeks no response. After Mike recieved the e-mail said he didn't know about it. Then said he talked to Eric and would be in contact with Larry about it and that was August 9th. Still nothing. Also holding back some questions on another persons build that he just got going with several minor issues so far. Seems same basic thing to much to fast.

Re: - [Re: His and Her 69's] #796350
09/10/10 02:16 PM
09/10/10 02:16 PM
Clinton Twp... north of Deetro...
L
Labratt Offline
Good Ol Randy B!
Labratt  Offline
Good Ol Randy B!
L

Dave..THANKS for be-littling my el-cheapo little 440!!! I understand where you're coming from on the differences of parts..and cost of parts! But..if a motor is put together PROFESSIONALLY...do a PROFESSIONAL job!!! That's all I'm sayin'! DIDN'T CHECK CLEARANCES???...LUDICROUS!!

Re: - [Re: Labratt] #796351
09/10/10 10:26 PM
09/10/10 10:26 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
I've heard a lot of MM crap over the years both in forums and in person. I wouldn't spend a penny there.

There is something in the water in michigan [Re: BobR] #796352
09/11/10 12:11 AM
09/11/10 12:11 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
MM customer here, parts only, but I am done now.
There are no excuses for what happened.

There must be something in the water in Michigan as currently another moparts member has michigan built $30,000.00+ hemi with a cylinder head that has epoxied cracks that go into the water jacket. The cracks nor the epoxy were part of the specs for the build. They were not disclosed either...The engine guy says he will make good on it, but what that really means remains to be seen as his work is already questionable and word worthless. He can say what he wants because when my engine shop tears that heeemi [sic] down the truth will come forth. This wont be the first time some big dog's engine building did not measure up upon inspection

I just don't understand the lack of integrity and pride in ones work.

Re: - [Re: BobR] #796353
09/11/10 12:20 AM
09/11/10 12:20 AM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
The longer this goes on, the more I regret my original post about "manning up" especially since he hasn`t posted again explaing the many things wrong with the build AND the non-returned customers parts.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: - [Re: Thumperdart] #796354
09/11/10 12:47 AM
09/11/10 12:47 AM
L
Labratt Offline
Good Ol Randy B!
Labratt  Offline
Good Ol Randy B!
L

Looks like some additional "manning up" might clarify the messy situation!!?? Hope everything gets resolved,for both their sakes! A BAD REPUTATION is VERY hard to correct!

Re: - [Re: Labratt] #796355
09/11/10 01:53 AM
09/11/10 01:53 AM
New Lenox IL
cudadon Offline
top fuel
cudadon  Offline
top fuel

New Lenox IL
Quote:

Dave..THANKS for be-littling my el-cheapo little 440!!! I understand where you're coming from on the differences of parts..and cost of parts! But..if a motor is put together PROFESSIONALLY...do a PROFESSIONAL job!!! That's all I'm sayin'! DIDN'T CHECK CLEARANCES???...LUDICROUS!!

OK lets look at this in a different way.
MM builds a $20,000 engine, customer picks up says thankyou gives him a check and leaves.
A few days later the bank tells MM the checks clearances are TOO tight and won't cash
So he calls 30 times in 2 weeks and gets NO answer.
The customer accidently answers the phone and it's MM, he tells them he had no idea the check didn't clear , but don't worry he will make it right.

So would the customer be treated with KID GLOVES ON HERE or BY THE POLICE?? Don

Re: - [Re: cudadon] #796356
09/11/10 04:22 PM
09/11/10 04:22 PM
Iowa State fan
kilroy Offline
super stock
kilroy  Offline
super stock

Iowa State fan
Quote:

The customer accidently answers the phone and it's MM, he tells them he had no idea the check didn't clear , but don't worry he will make it right.

So would the customer be treated with KID GLOVES ON HERE or BY THE POLICE?? Don

Hmmmmm.....

1973 Charger, former SE, former auto

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....
Re: - [Re: kilroy] #796357
09/11/10 04:39 PM
09/11/10 04:39 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOoC  Offline

Florida STAYcation
The THING that stands-out to me is .....

90 ft pounds BREAKaway .... with NO plugs

Re: - [Re: kilroy] #796358
09/11/10 04:42 PM
09/11/10 04:42 PM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
The "everybody makes mistakes" comment does not hold water with this situation. An engine of that caliber, being built by a shop like MM, that goes out the door without the bearing clearances being checked is absolutely inexcuseable. That's engine building 101.

If I got my motor back like the OP described, MM wouldn't even get an opportunity to fix it. If they didn't do it right the first time and made such elementary mistakes, not to mention screwed me on my old parts, they'd never get another dime of my money. I'd be expecting money and my old parts back.

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: - [Re: fullmetaljacket] #796359
09/11/10 04:49 PM
09/11/10 04:49 PM
South-Central (Sebring), FL
Commando1 Offline
master
Commando1  Offline
master

Quote:

Everyone makes mistakes on both sides, we're all human, but to not get a call back as soon as the RED light goes on in the delivery room is uncalled for, literally.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.
You're a business and you crank out $20,000 work.
NONE should bad. NONE!
Statistically impossible but if you want to play in the big boys arena, that ONE bad engine IS going to end up on the internet. Rightfully or NOT rightly so.
You let out one bad $20k engine and you're gonna pay.
Sorry. No sympathy for the shop. That engine went out the door. Too late. If it's 1 out of a 1000, then the bad pr will survive, but the internet brings out everybody that had a bad time...
Just saying, MM IS going to lose more than they save by insisting the amount they paid was more than fair. Eat the $$, MM. It's gonna cost ya.
Or is the hit going to put you over the edge because your finances are super shaky?

FWIW, I build my own. I screw up? Nobody's going to come bail my sorry-azz butt out finacially. The stakes are higher so the QC you put in are worth it.
Forty years. Never met a shop that owed up to replacing 100% a $20k shop to an individual. Foose? They'd be overnighting him TWO replacement engine.
IT's all about publicty.

Re: - [Re: dOoC] #796360
09/11/10 04:58 PM
09/11/10 04:58 PM
Commando1 Offline
master
Commando1  Offline
master

Quote:

The THING that stands-out to me is .....

90 ft pounds BREAKaway .... with NO plugs

Ummmm... what is the spec, anyway????

Re: - [Re: Commando1] #796361
09/11/10 05:03 PM
09/11/10 05:03 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Offline
dOoC  Offline

Florida STAYcation
On a hi-$$ race-engine like this ? ... with low-drag rings ?? .....

30-40 ....

Re: - [Re: dOoC] #796362
09/11/10 06:40 PM
09/11/10 06:40 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

30-40 ....

Perhaps if the valvetrain wasn't installed. But put the valvetrain on and the breakaway will be significantly greater than that as the valvesprings compress then lesser as the valvesprings relax. Especially if the springs are heavy psi rated.

How was the rotational torque tested? Valvetrain or not?

MB

Re: - [Re: dOoC] #796363
09/11/10 06:49 PM
09/11/10 06:49 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

30-40 ....

On my small block I got 18 pounds break away without
the springs... sure a BB will have a higher number
but a GUESS would be 25 - 30 due to area of the rings

Re: - [Re: dOoC] #796364
09/11/10 06:54 PM
09/11/10 06:54 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Mistakes happen,the best resolution is a fast resolution,to drag the issue out only gives both sides a chance to get bitterly piss at each other and as it drags on and others get involved the situation only gets worse.If one of our racers or customers have a problem then we have a problem.We get involved and work through the problem together and usually can determine if we were at fault or they created the problem,either way we resolve the issue together and usually come to a amicable settlement to retain a positive relationship and move on.While I was recuperating in the hospital the guys at BGR stepped up keep the shop operating and help keep our commitments to our racers and customers.At that time we were having issues with bad lifters and hurt cams.As soon as I was able,Donny,Lou,Chaz,Curt Jr and I delt with everyones issues,correcting each on a personal level.We were able to get some warranty help and took all the problem engines down to bare blocks and started over correcting every issue including new rings,bearings,oil pumps,gasket and what ever else needed.There were a few engines that never left the shop and we didn't want to chance more problems and remove the cam and lifter and installed replacements.Every lifter that we replaced was disassembled and cleaned and checked before use.I was a tough time for all of us at BGR and costly.I can honestly say that everyone that had issues understood and I never handed a single one a bill for anything.The amasing thing was each person that had a problem came directly to me an insisted the that we accept some payment for our efforts and I know that some slipped the guys some cash on the way through the show.We humbled ourselves and servived the ordeal and have retained each and everyone as customers today.As always respect those who keep you in business and you will always have them knocking on your door.BGR's philosophy,"our customers become our friends,our friends become our family"
The best thing to do from here is for each party to step back,reflect,regain each respect and confidence and come to an amicable resolution or settleup and move on.Life is too short.

Re: - [Re: B G Racing] #796365
09/11/10 07:50 PM
09/11/10 07:50 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Mistakes happen,the best resolution is a fast resolution,to drag the issue out only gives both sides a chance to get bitterly piss at each other and as it drags on and others get involved the situation only gets worse.If one of our racers or customers have a problem then we have a problem.We get involved and work through the problem together and usually can determine if we were at fault or they created the problem,either way we resolve the issue together and usually come to a amicable settlement to retain a positive relationship and move on.While I was recuperating in the hospital the guys at BGR stepped up keep the shop operating and help keep our commitments to our racers and customers.At that time we were having issues with bad lifters and hurt cams.As soon as I was able,Donny,Lou,Chaz,Curt Jr and I delt with everyones issues,correcting each on a personal level.We were able to get some warranty help and took all the problem engines down to bare blocks and started over correcting every issue including new rings,bearings,oil pumps,gasket and what ever else needed.There were a few engines that never left the shop and we didn't want to chance more problems and remove the cam and lifter and installed replacements.Every lifter that we replaced was disassembled and cleaned and checked before use.I was a tough time for all of us at BGR and costly.I can honestly say that everyone that had issues understood and I never handed a single one a bill for anything.The amasing thing was each person that had a problem came directly to me an insisted the that we accept some payment for our efforts and I know that some slipped the guys some cash on the way through the show.We humbled ourselves and servived the ordeal and have retained each and everyone as customers today.As always respect those who keep you in business and you will always have them knocking on your door.BGR's philosophy,"our customers become our friends,our friends become our family"
The best thing to do from here is for each party to step back,reflect,regain each respect and confidence and come to an amicable resolution or settleup and move on.Life is too short.

Bob can you pass this letter along to indy?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6