08/26/10 11:36 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Quote:

It's hard to explain that being some mistake like we didn't notice any differences. They are just too far apart looking for me to buy that one. who would have ever purchased only the ARP nuts and those junk studs unintentionally.

Could it be the guy from IMPACT RACING?

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: Bob_Coomer] #782185
08/27/10 12:00 AM
08/27/10 12:00 AM
Syracuse,NY
CompWedgeEngines Offline
master
CompWedgeEngines  Offline
master

Syracuse,NY
After looking at Coomers pics, ( which kind of look like ARP "finish")it occurred to me that maybe there are 3 versions of this stud. Here is why I make that statement. There is the definate crap stud, as pictured. Then Bobs, which "look" different, but at least more like an ARP. Then there is the stud that I pictured which is definately the newest ARP. When I first found this problem, I simply got individual ARP studs and made up my own "kits" that I needed. In the meantime, ARP came out with a kit, which is what I showed in the picture. I happened to make a call to a buddy of mine who does a very significant amount of World Hemi blocks, and he too had found that there were problems torquing the studs. Now , with all that being said, it is very very possible that a less experienced assembler or builder could have torqued these and never picked up on it. Its one of those " feel" things you get after doing literally dozens and dozens of engines. You may have gotten away with torquing them once or twice, but if your like I am and mock the motor up a few times for fitment, then these things may have even failed over that short of time.

Also be aware, that if if you change out the side bolts for studs, you will have interference with the oil pump ( or could) that will require some attention. Wirh studs, the heads of the nuts will not clear the backside of the oil pump.

I dont know the answer, but I do know the fix. Hopefully Chuck can step back in and explain. Whatever the case, there definately WAS a problem, but was it every block sold? Who knows.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #782186
08/27/10 03:43 PM
08/27/10 03:43 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Quote:

Here is a pic of the broached end, the ARP is obvious.

Called my machine shop to check the main studs on my World Hemi block . No visible ARP markings on the ends. They'll order new replacements. Should I bill World ?

What's the word Chuck? Haven't heard anything from you.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: rowin4] #782187
08/27/10 03:46 PM
08/27/10 03:46 PM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
Quote:

Quote:

Here is a pic of the broached end, the ARP is obvious.

Called my machine shop to check the main studs on my World Hemi block . No visible ARP markings on the ends. They'll order new replacements. Should I bill World ?

What's the word Chuck? Haven't heard anything from you.

CHUCK has his email listed in his profile. I would think by now it would be overload with questions.

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: HEMIFRED] #782188
08/27/10 05:19 PM
08/27/10 05:19 PM
Florida
S
snook Offline
snook  Offline
S

Florida
Still waiting...

My hemi block should be here early next week and you can bet that I'll be checking the issue ASAP.

Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: DarkSideofNY] #782189
08/27/10 06:05 PM
08/27/10 06:05 PM
NY
D
DarkSideofNY Offline
DarkSideofNY  Offline
D

NY
Gentlemen,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Paul Kaufman. I have worked for World Products as a technical representative and engine builder for approximately a decade. I have been building engines professionally for the better part of my life with over 40 years experience in both the private industrial sector and performance speed industry. I have been asked to express my opinion ( and that of World Products ) regarding concerns some of you may have with the main studs utilized on the Mopar iron and aluminum Hemi and Wedge blocks manufactured by World Products. World has manufactured several thousand of both the iron and aluminum blocks in the last few years and recently we have heard that some of these studs have failed when torqued. I have personally assembled many of the Hemi and Wedge engines at World Products, and have not had any issues. I would love to be able to say that there are many torque wrenches that are being used that were manufactured in third world countries and that is the problem, but that would be unfair. World Products does not manufacture studs nor do we import inexpensive hardware from China. The studs used on the Mopar iron blocks are to Mopar's engineering specs and our engineers determined those studs to be of sufficient quality for use on World Products aluminum blocks as well. These studs are not ARP. More recently World Products chose to switch to the ARP brand studs, not because we found them to necessarily be better, but to align ourselves with the hardware being utilized on our Chevy and Ford blocks. I would like to point out that over the years I have experienced failure with hardware manufactured by ARP, but grab another one and move on. I have also experienced a rod breaking or a lifter failing, all from big name brand manufacturers, but that doesn't mean the sets of parts were all defective. The point is sometimes rods break, lifters fail and bolts and studs stretch, break, threads gall, etc. It is the nature of metal objects that have been cast, poured, machined and manipulated that a small percentage will fail, regardless of who manufactured the item. If you find one defective stud that does not mean all the studs are bad. As with most manufacturers, World Products has a warranty policy. Should you find any defect in any of World Products parts or components within one year of purchase simply contact us and we will be more than happy to exchange that defective part. If you would like to change out your hardware to a complete set of ARP studs, you can purchase them from your local ARP dealer or retailer. The caps are located by ring dowels and block registers. The line bore will not be affected. The torque rating on the ARP studs remains the same. Thanks for your time, Paul

Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: snook] #782190
08/27/10 06:14 PM
08/27/10 06:14 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
after viewing some of the pics posted I believe I have the chinese crap ones also!

Mopar Performance
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: DarkSideofNY] #782191
08/27/10 06:16 PM
08/27/10 06:16 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
Quote:

Gentlemen,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Paul Kaufman. I have worked for World Products as a technical representative and engine builder for approximately a decade. I have been building engines professionally for the better part of my life with over 40 years experience in both the private industrial sector and performance speed industry. I have been asked to express my opinion ( and that of World Products ) regarding concerns some of you may have with the main studs utilized on the Mopar iron and aluminum Hemi and Wedge blocks manufactured by World Products. World has manufactured several thousand of both the iron and aluminum blocks in the last few years and recently we have heard that some of these studs have failed when torqued. I have personally assembled many of the Hemi and Wedge engines at World Products, and have not had any issues. I would love to be able to say that there are many torque wrenches that are being used that were manufactured in third world countries and that is the problem, but that would be unfair. World Products does not manufacture studs nor do we import inexpensive hardware from China. The studs used on the Mopar iron blocks are to Mopar's engineering specs and our engineers determined those studs to be of sufficient quality for use on World Products aluminum blocks as well. These studs are not ARP. More recently World Products chose to switch to the ARP brand studs, not because we found them to necessarily be better, but to align ourselves with the hardware being utilized on our Chevy and Ford blocks. I would like to point out that over the years I have experienced failure with hardware manufactured by ARP, but grab another one and move on. I have also experienced a rod breaking or a lifter failing, all from big name brand manufacturers, but that doesn't mean the sets of parts were all defective. The point is sometimes rods break, lifters fail and bolts and studs stretch, break, threads gall, etc. It is the nature of metal objects that have been cast, poured, machined and manipulated that a small percentage will fail, regardless of who manufactured the item. If you find one defective stud that does not mean all the studs are bad. As with most manufacturers, World Products has a warranty policy. Should you find any defect in any of World Products parts or components within one year of purchase simply contact us and we will be more than happy to exchange that defective part. If you would like to change out your hardware to a complete set of ARP studs, you can purchase them from your local ARP dealer or retailer. The caps are located by ring dowels and block registers. The line bore will not be affected. The torque rating on the ARP studs remains the same. Thanks for your time, Paul

so your saying to go pound sand pretty much!

Mopar Performance
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: DarkSideofNY] #782192
08/27/10 06:20 PM
08/27/10 06:20 PM
SOUTH JERSEY
HEMIFRED Offline
master
HEMIFRED  Offline
master

SOUTH JERSEY
Quote:

translation buy stock in KB and Indy. No way I buy a World block

home of the
Sox and Martin Hemi Duster

Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: HEMIFRED] #782193
08/27/10 06:57 PM
08/27/10 06:57 PM
Central Valley, CA.
Quicksilver440 Offline
I Live Here
Quicksilver440  Offline
I Live Here

Central Valley, CA.
Quote:

Quote:

translation buy stock in KB and Indy. No way I buy a World block

Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: Quicksilver440] #782194
08/27/10 06:59 PM
08/27/10 06:59 PM
Arizona
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Happy Birthday Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master

Arizona
KB is back up and running..

Chris..

Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: DarkSideofNY] #782195
08/27/10 07:02 PM
08/27/10 07:02 PM
TN
S
SCATPACK 1 Offline
pro stock
SCATPACK 1  Offline
pro stock
S

TN
Quote:

Gentlemen,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Paul Kaufman. I have worked for World Products as a technical representative and engine builder for approximately a decade. .....
.....World Products does not manufacture studs nor do we import inexpensive hardware from China. The studs used on the Mopar iron blocks are to Mopar's engineering specs and our engineers determined those studs to be of sufficient quality for use on World Products aluminum blocks as well. These studs are not ARP. More recently World Products chose to switch to the ARP brand studs, not because we found them to necessarily be better, but to align ourselves with the hardware being utilized on our Chevy and Ford blocks. ......
If you find one defective stud that does not mean all the studs are bad. As with most manufacturers, World Products has a warranty policy. Should you find any defect in any of World Products parts or components within one year of purchase simply contact us and we will be more than happy to exchange that defective part. If you would like to change out your hardware to a complete set of ARP studs, you can purchase them from your local ARP dealer or retailer. Thanks for your time, Paul

IF you check the cheap studs provided, and those inspected by knowledgable engine builders on this site, you will read the post that stated the threads on the CHEAP Studs were scratchy. Sure sign of low budget inferior studs. It is too bad World has decided to let the studs stand and not be willing to replace them as a whole.
I am REALLY GLAD I saw this post as I have been bidding on an aluminum Hemi block from World on ebay. I will not be going thru with this in light of this response from World. Such BAD Publicity could have easily been corrected by simply replacing the studs or offering, at the very least, to split the cost of replacement to a quality stud set. Just really disappointing. I wonder what there response would have been if it were a bunch of there beloved Chevy blocks that had issues. They have bent over backwards to correct the issues in the past for Chevy customers. Boy, Just disappointing! I suppose Indy or KB will get my money now.

Old Geezer Racing
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: DarkSideofNY] #782196
08/27/10 07:19 PM
08/27/10 07:19 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Gentlemen,

Well put Paul,we have seen alot of issues resulting from incorrect torquing methods(torque values or wrong lubricants)as well as bad stud installation or application.We usually make the correction and move on.However even with the dowel rings that locate the main caps(similar to rod caps)the different clamping loads of different fastners would raise the concern for distortions(no mater how small) and would warrant at least checking or honing the line bore for perfect or "near" perfect alignment and fit.I would never change rod bolts(even if the same replacements) without checking or resizing the rod.May I inquire who manufactured the studs that came with the block?Just my opinion Respectfully Bob

Last edited by B G Racing; 08/27/10 07:29 PM.
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: SCATPACK 1] #782197
08/27/10 07:24 PM
08/27/10 07:24 PM
Oregon
sg66mopar Offline
pro stock
sg66mopar  Offline
pro stock

Oregon
Well, as some of you know I just grenaded my new World blocked 572 a couple weeks ago and destroyed the block. My engine builder called me Monday and during the conversation he said the main caps had been walking and galling pretty badly. He wondered if I was running bad gas or way too much timing but that's not the case. The timing never went over 33 degrees this year and I run K&S 120 (114 octane) race gas.

Now I suspect my motor had the low quality studs in it also. I can't ask him to look at them until Monday but I bet that's the deal.

I need to buy a new block and now I'm wondering what to do. A lot of you here on Moparts say to go with KB but there's some serious drawbacks to that block, at least for my particular setup.

Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: DarkSideofNY] #782198
08/27/10 07:26 PM
08/27/10 07:26 PM
Denmark
D
Dart of Denmark Offline
Dart of Denmark  Offline
D

Denmark
Quote:

Gentlemen,

What a great support!!!

6162636-HemiDart.jpg (53 downloads)
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: SCATPACK 1] #782199
08/27/10 07:28 PM
08/27/10 07:28 PM
Central TEXAS!!!!
sr4440 Offline
super stock
sr4440  Offline
super stock

Central TEXAS!!!!
well you heard the man, if the cheap a$$ stud fails within one year while you are going down the track and you have massive damage. simply return the one broken stud and they will replace it.

Now if you were one of worlds chevy or ford customer you would never have gotten the cheap stuff.

I am sorry i every bought a World block, i should have stuck with someone that specializes in mopar engines, not someone that added it to their product line as a after thought.

Joe

Without Data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: DarkSideofNY] #782200
08/27/10 07:42 PM
08/27/10 07:42 PM
Communist New York State, Comi...
W
We The People Offline
We The People  Offline
W

Communist New York State, Comi...
"I would love to be able to say that there are many torque wrenches that are being used that were manufactured in third world countries and that is the problem, but that would be unfair. "

What a jack ass! Like you guys building aluminum Hemis are using trash tools to assemble them.... WOW I wont ever give them a dime. you just lost a potential coustomer Paul! How about a coustomer service class...I'm not a pro engine builder by any means, but even I can recognize a crappy fastener when its in my hand...

Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: We The People] #782201
08/27/10 07:48 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.

Mopar Performance
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: Challenger340] #782202
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal

Indy may not be Keith Black but at least their studs are ARP
The cross bolts are marked "DB". Would they matter as much?

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: World Aluminum Block Main Studs CAUTION [Re: sg66mopar] #782203
08/27/10 07:53 PM
08/27/10 07:53 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
Quote:

Well, as some of you know I just grenaded my new World blocked 572 a couple weeks ago and destroyed the block. My engine builder called me Monday and during the conversation he said the main caps had been walking and galling pretty badly. He wondered if I was running bad gas or way too much timing but that's not the case. The timing never went over 33 degrees this year and I run K&S 120 (114 octane) race gas.

Now I suspect my motor had the low quality studs in it also. I can't ask him to look at them until Monday but I bet that's the deal.

I need to buy a new block and now I'm wondering what to do. A lot of you here on Moparts say to go with KB but there's some serious drawbacks to that block, at least for my particular setup.

it stands to reason. when i heard of your catastrophic failure, i was surprised. i'm VERY curious to hear if your engine had the inferior studs.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11