08/07/10 02:15 AM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Quote:

Every old mopar I've ever rode in just had really sucky wipers.

Is this a wiperblade problem or the action?

I think the biggest challenge here will be the park feature.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super
Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? [Re: Magnum] #761108
08/07/10 02:42 PM
08/07/10 02:42 PM
Northeast, Alpine, NY
9 Sec Phill Offline
On a road near you
9 Sec Phill  Offline
On a road near you

Northeast, Alpine, NY
If I remember right the intrepids have a one piece assembly that looks like it would be able to bolt under the dash. Is made of aluminum cast and has motor and pivits all as one unit. Im not sure of the distance betweent the pivots though...Phill

6127755-3.jpg (72 downloads)
Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? [Re: 9 Sec Phill] #761109
08/09/10 09:14 AM
08/09/10 09:14 AM
Gods Country
ConcoursCreation Offline
ConcoursCreation  Offline

Gods Country
Sorry so long posting a pic but life kinda took over lol.
Here is a pic of the motor. From the factory they were plated yellow zinc like a Little Red Express Truck.

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? [Re: ConcoursCreation] #761110
08/10/10 01:25 AM
08/10/10 01:25 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

There is a direct bolt on that will fit the hole in your firewall.
I have also always toyed with the idea.
Just find a:
1976-1989 Plymouth Volare, Dodge Aspen, Chrysler LeBaron, Dodge Diplomat, Plymouth Gran Fury, Town & Country, New Yorker, or Fifth Avenue.
Some of them came with intermittent wiper systems.
They look like the early 2 speed motors but have 1 extra terminals on the motor where the harness plugs into it.
Of course you will need the switch, delay control box/harness and I would say the connector that goes on the back of the wiper switch itself.
With that said....I think the only "bolt In" part is going to be the wiper motor.
Link connecting your 2 wiper arm pivots should be fine but the one going to the drivers side pivot from the wiper will almost for sure have to be modified.
As for a wiper motor crank.....this is why I think the link connecting to it will have to be modified but maybe not....they came with the plastic press in bushings.
I'm almost sure that there is a bronze bushing style crank that will work but never have gotten around to trying all the different ones I have.
I will try and dig some pics up.
Hope this helps
Jerry

I pulled this complete delay wiper system from a junkyard 80's rwd chrysler 5th ave. The wiper motor bolts right in where the old 2-speed wiper motor in my 74 satellite was. That part is a straight drop in. I didn't look closely at the output end of the motor, but worse case scenario is I have to transfer the output shaft lever from my 2-sp wiper motor over to the 5th ave wiper motor. The one downside to this system I can see is my satellite originally has concealed wipers that have a park position that's further down on the windshield than the normal wiper sweep position. I imagine after this conversion is done they will no longer park down where they should, however mine never parked properly anyway because my plastic wiper cam has a piece cracked off which I never did get around to repairing.

Also, the twist dial delay wiper controls on the signal lever will NOT fit inside a 70's stock steering column. The 5th ave had a bulge in the steering column to accomodate the large delay wiper switch that sits at the base of the signal lever, inside the steering column. To get around this, I grabbed a dash mounted delay wiper switch off of a late 70's dodge ram van. I figure this leaves me two options, I can either use the ram van wiper switch and fit it into my dash somehow or I can mod the signal lever mounted delay wiper switch into my dash panel and make it fit exactly where my stock dial type wiper control was. I could even jb weld my old wiper control knob onto it so it will look 100% stock. The only real nagging issue I forsee as being a bit annoying is the wiper park issue because the donor car does not have concealed wipers. I also have one of those universal aftermarket type delay wiper add-on boxes. I could also try getting that to work with a 2-sp wiper motor but not sure if the concealed wiper type motor triggers a ground pin each time it passes by its park position or if that's only activated when the wiper controls are set to the off position.

Page 2 of 2 1 2