12/02/03 11:15 AM
12/02/03 11:15 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This topic will die down as it has already begun to.

The ball is in the other court. Thats were the mudslinging originated and thats who needs to make this right, IMO..

Re: Good Job #7438
12/02/03 03:18 PM
12/02/03 03:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In contrast with what has been said about Dave Hughes customer service tactics, I called CompCams help line today, waited 2 minutes and spoke with a tech, he gave me 3 different cam options along with the appropriate build-up scenarios/combos and performance expectations. He also said that they could easily and inexpensively alter lobe separation if idle quality and vacuum were a consideration...very helpful and knowledgeable.

Re: Good Job #7439
12/02/03 03:28 PM
12/02/03 03:28 PM
Alberta, Canada
K
ktbundy Offline
super gas
ktbundy  Offline
super gas
K

Alberta, Canada
Don1 I have always admired the way you are able to build engines and go racing on a budget. I am much the same way. Always have been, always will be. But with regards to Hughes statement about not helping with someone else's problem, well I just can't agree with that. I own a pest control business that has been very successful. We are constantly getting calls from other companies customers asking us to help with advice in fixing the initial problem that the company they hired couldn't. Rather than blame the customer because they hired Joe Blow's company, we spend the time trying to help and in return we sometimes get nothing more than a thank you. But in other cases we gain a new customer. I don't feel that customers should be penalized for possibly making a bad decision, but rather helped in solving their problem. It's just good customer relations. I am in no way criticizing you Don, but sometimes being a business owner requires a little give and take. I guess the way I see it Hughes seems to be a little bit more on the take side.
Tom

Re: Good Job [Re: ktbundy] #7440
12/02/03 04:25 PM
12/02/03 04:25 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Don1 I have always admired the way you are able to build engines and go racing on a budget. I am much the same way. Always have been, always will be. But with regards to Hughes statement about not helping with someone else's problem, well I just can't agree with that. I own a pest control business that has been very successful. We are constantly getting calls from other companies customers asking us to help with advice in fixing the initial problem that the company they hired couldn't. Rather than blame the customer because they hired Joe Blow's company, we spend the time trying to help and in return we sometimes get nothing more than a thank you. But in other cases we gain a new customer. I don't feel that customers should be penalized for possibly making a bad decision, but rather helped in solving their problem. It's just good customer relations. I am in no way criticizing you Don, but sometimes being a business owner requires a little give and take. I guess the way I see it Hughes seems to be a little bit more on the take side.
Tom

But as for the other I have been in both the automotive business and the RV business where people have driven 100 miles to save $50.00 on a new vehicle or RV purchase then come to us to have a rattle or door adjusment fixed or in the case of RV's a carb or track adjustment that are the selling dealers responsabilty. Then expect us to do it for nothing cause it is a new vehicle. If we had been the selling dealer it would have been a freebee but not being the selling dealer they get charged for it and they can return to the dealer and try to get reimbursed. Warrenty work the same way, we have to do it but it doesn't say when. Our own customers come first. There are exceptions like tourists and so on. But to those people who think that they can drive awhile and save a buck then get imediate service on dealer freebies then they better go back to the dealer that they bought it from.
I have had the same thing happen to me on appliances, something broke and we are from another town and take it in to get fixed fuly expecting to pay to fix and get asked the "did you buy it here?" even when it is a brand that they sell. So that is not that uncommon a statement.
In Hughes statement I think that they were referring to other brand problem questions that were bought through the other supply houses. I think that were you to by a Hughes product from one of their supplying dealers that they would help you out.

Clean it, if it's Dirty. Oil it, if it Squeaks. But: Don't fix it, if it Works!
Re: Good Job [Re: MoparforLife] #7441
12/02/03 08:43 PM
12/02/03 08:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i don't see how R V repair, or appliance repair relates to this problem. besides, making a warranty customer wait, just because it's a warranty repair is a pretty lousy way to do business anyway. those statements tell me alot and likely is part of the reason we disagree more often than not on many issues. do you also talk bad about your customers???

this thread has a lot to do with attitude. as has been pointed out already, hughes is the one that started this whole mess by his degrading remarks. he has the opportunity to fix it too. if he doesn't, regardless of when this thread goes away, i will forever feel the same way about that man. if you want to patronize his business, go right ahead.

i run one business with two divisions and another independent of the first. i deal with customers on a daily basis. if your my customer, i'll do whatever i can to solve your problem or situation. you'll never hear me badmouth you, or any other customer, no matter what. we don't do "back burner" warranty repairs either. if it needs to be fixed, we fix it ASAP. we want to keep our customers happy whether it's a one time deal or a lifelong customer. maybe that's part of the reason these businesses are sucessful, who knows...

Last edited by DRAM; 12/02/03 08:46 PM.
Re: Good Job #7442
12/02/03 11:05 PM
12/02/03 11:05 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
DRAM whether you agree with my post means nought to me.
The post was made relating to and earlier post about his (dave's) disclaimer relating parts gotten from other suppliers. I am saying that I have seen this type of thing other places not just from him or in his type of business and types of business as well.
I interpeted that as meaning that if you bought a Comp cam from Jeggs don't call Hughes to find out how they would install it or if it doesn't perform up to your expectations don't call them wondering why.
I am sure that you really appreciate it if a person goes somewhere else and gets their parts or service than comes to you to fix it when it doesn't work right. If you do you are one of the few that are that way and more power to you.
Even though Dave could have/should have worded his 'editorial diferently or not done it at all (preferably) it seems as if he may have his own toe with the hammer but hurt more egos than his own.

Clean it, if it's Dirty. Oil it, if it Squeaks. But: Don't fix it, if it Works!
Re: Good Job [Re: MoparforLife] #7443
12/02/03 11:45 PM
12/02/03 11:45 PM
Hudson Mass
67Mopar Offline
master
67Mopar  Offline
master

Hudson Mass
time for this one to go home, nuff said, goodnight!

Re: Good Job [Re: MoparforLife] #7444
12/03/03 12:04 AM
12/03/03 12:04 AM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Quote:

and not wanting to admit that maybe - just maybe they were somewhat at fault.

actually....we admitted that the cam failures were the result of our not having the lifter bores bushed.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Good Job [Re: fast68plymouth] #7445
12/03/03 12:13 AM
12/03/03 12:13 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

and not wanting to admit that maybe - just maybe they were somewhat at fault.

actually....we admitted that the cam failures were the result of our not having the lifter bores bushed.

ditto . don did you even read any of the engine masters stuff ? i took full responsibility for the cam failures and the first thing i told dave after saying we ate 2 cams was that i didn't bush the block .

and hurt egos , again , selective reading ??? my ego is not hurt , its all the non truths in daves little essay , if he worded it accurately i wouldn't have a leg to stand on and this thread would not exist ...

running up my post count some more .
Re: Good Job [Re: 67Mopar] #7446
12/03/03 12:37 AM
12/03/03 12:37 AM
Northeast Texas
MoparMuscle Offline
enthusiast
MoparMuscle  Offline
enthusiast

Northeast Texas
I love for another businesses customers to call me. It is an opportunity to distinguish my business from theirs. I get calls all the time from people who didn't buy their computer from me. If I am able to fix their problem on the phone I do it. Most people will remember who took the time to help even if there was no money in it for them. Just the other day a lady called when her computer would only boot to a c prompt. I walked her through fixing the problem (took about two minutes) and even though she offered to pay me I told her there was no charge. Now who do you think she's going to call when she needs other repairs or a new computer? The company that wouldn't take the time to help her or me. When someone buys a computer from me they receive more than just a computer, they receive CUSTOMER SERVICE. These little things go a long way to making a business successful and even though they sometimes take a lot of time I believe it is time well spent.

Another example of customer service. I called Scott Brown the other day to discuss a cam for my car. He took the time to take down what I was wanting to do then research it, and he called me back and told me he couldn't improve on what I have for what I'm wanting to do. He didn't just try to sell me something. Now you can bet that if I have something else I need that he has or a cam for another car or someone asks who to call I will tell them to call Scott.

100% Mopar No Juice Added
2016 Challenger R/T Blacktop 5.7 6 SPD
2009 Ram 1500 5.7
http://moparmuscle.biz
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: fast68plymouth] #7447
12/03/03 02:25 AM
12/03/03 02:25 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Just slogged thru all these pages. ( God I hate dial-up!)

Question: Does Hughes actually manufacture ANY parts he sells or does he just buy them with his labels on them from other suppliers. (You know, like Walmart brand no name stuff) If it's all just re-packaged stuff, where does he come off with the twin turboed nitro burning ego anyway? Anybody can pay someone to build stuff for them and re-sell it. It's not an original concept. All it takes is a little retail sales experience and a good bank manager.

Joe Girard was in the Guiness Book of Records years ago for selling the most cars and he wrote a book about it. He said that for every customer you alienate you lose 250 more potential customers. Apparently we all know or will run across on average 250 people each and if sufficiently annoyed will tell them all why. I've seen 16 pages of "sufficiently annoyed". If Dave can run a calculator he will find that 6500 members on this board alone X 250 is 1,625,000 potential lost opportunities. If his bank manager can run a calculator he might find himself out of business sooner than later. JMHO

Kevin

Re: Good Job [Re: MoparMuscle] #7448
12/03/03 10:40 AM
12/03/03 10:40 AM
SK. Canada
Not_A_Duster Offline
master
Not_A_Duster  Offline
master

SK. Canada
Quote:

I love for another businesses customers to call me. It is an opportunity to distinguish my business from theirs. I get calls all the time from people who didn't buy their computer from me. If I am able to fix their problem on the phone I do it. Most people will remember who took the time to help even if there was no money in it for them.

You think? - That has never been my experience. It has always been he who is cheapest wins, for the most part. We have a solid core of customers who recognise the difference in quality & service we offer & are willing to pay for it. Why should we jeaprodise our relationship with those customers by providing "free help" to those who do not pay for it? Why would anyone pay a little more for the after-sale service if they can buy from a discounter & still recieve my support??

IMO, offering service & technical information to people who have chosen to shop elsewhere due to price is just allowing them to take advantage of you. They will continue to buy at the discount place, because they know that they can get tech service & product knowledge from you. I say take care of your existing customers first...

It has gotten to the point where we no longer include specific product info or model #s in our quotes & proposals because people will take our designs & shop them around in search of a better price. So we have adopted a policy where we give you a framework description with total price at the bottom of the page. If you want specifics on the design, you pay a deposit. If that is unacceptable to you, then we probably do not want to waste any more time on you, because we know what you are going to do with the info we have provided. Funny thing is, those who are serious about purchasing our products & services seem to have no problem with it.

It's unfortunate that business has come to this point, but in a realistic world - that's the way it is.

....evil is winning....
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16