Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: Jesse_Lackman] #7297
11/25/03 08:30 PM
11/25/03 08:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Jesse, as i friend, i want to say that i disagree with you. this thread has nothing to do with whether we should have bushed the lifter bores or not, it also has nothing to do with rumours. we ( the emc team) never publicly criticized his cams. IMO, he has no right to criticize us, especially on the world wide web. insulting us does not hurt my feelings, i can't speak for the others involved. what it does do is irritate me.
now, why would he be hearing ANY feedback about his cams in the EM-470? perhaps you should ask him. perhaps that's what he's upset about.
he IMO has every right to think what he wants, but to put it on his website in such an insulting and demeaning manner is just plain wrong. i'm sure that article could have been written tastefully to make his point but he chose not to. i'm sure he could have replied to my e-mail, but he chose not to.
he also could have gotten us that custom grind, but he didn't even bother to do that. look, he's your friend, if you understand wherer he's coming from, that's fine. i don't. that holier than thou attitude just doesn't sit well with me, and apparently, many others.
with that, i will support other businesses that actually HELP the mopar community, not try to hurt it, or divide it.
as far as my reputation goes, since you brought it up. my shop is full of work and booked for at least 7-8 weeks right now. hmmm, makes me wonder if his is?????
you have my ph. # if you want to talk it over. once again, thank you for all the help with the EM-470, that goes for Darcy too...

Last edited by JohnRR; 11/25/03 10:31 PM.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7298
11/25/03 09:13 PM
11/25/03 09:13 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
The thing that bugs me the most about this thread is that last time I ragged about Hughes being one of the big jerks in the Mopar business (there are several of them), JohnRR stood up for him! The EM team was supporting Hughes all the way. Hughes called this one all wrong.

Most (maybe all?) of the stuff that Hughes sells you can buy from other people. In many cases, you can buy direct from the people who Hughes buys it from. So if you don't want to support this guy any more then don't. You can build a mean Mopar without spending a dime in Hughes's shop.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: Jesse_Lackman] #7299
11/25/03 09:30 PM
11/25/03 09:30 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Quote:

I think everyone has to cool down and put themselves in Dave's shoes........He took a a risk.

i dont see it that way at all.
however, even if he did...whats the up-side for him to pointing fingers at us, and intimating we're a bunch of hacks?

if there was a risk on his part, he took it because he felt he might be able to share the spotlight in the event of a winning performance.
it didnt work out to his satisfaction, so he lashed out.

i wonder what his angle on the whole situation would have been had we paid full price for the cams?

Jesse, you can continue to do business with him if you like, but IMO his commentary shows just how much regard he has for your abilites and skills.....which appears to be none.
in Daves words, no good deed goes unpunished...and the way i see it....you tried to do a good deed for him by using his products. in return, he called you an unprofessional amature.

as for fall out from our EM entry pertaining to his business.....
this is probably the most active Mopar site on the web.
our entry made a VERY respectable showing of its power capabilites....and we laid it right out for all to see that those numbers were achieved using one of his cams.
so, what the f**k would he have to whine about with regard to us?
if anything, we should have helped his business by proving his cams could make decent power.
i would also think that letting it be known that he had helped us out with our efforts would have been a step in the right direction in trying to undo some of the bad blood he has here among several memebers.

his commentary has only shown me his true colors...and frankly....i dont need to, and wont, associate with a guy like that.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Jesse_Lackman] #7300
11/25/03 09:43 PM
11/25/03 09:43 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
Quote:

I'm here DRAM.

I think everyone has to cool down and put themselves in Dave's shoes. DRAM, remember saying you thought the EM-470 was a make or break for your reputation? And remember I felt the same way? Well what about Dave? He took a a risk.

what risk did he take? he sold a couple cams to our team at a big discount.
Quote:

None of us have any idea what kind of feed back he has been hearing about his cams in the EM-470. We all know how rumors start and grow into something that isn't even close to the truth. (Look at some of the assumptions being made on this thread for example.) Maybe he has good reason to gripe. I'm not offended, I understand where he's coming from.

What rumors? anyone can go read the EM thread,nowhere there did anyone bash Hughes,hell I can't stand the guy and kept my mouth shut because he was helping and believe me it was killing me,had we won with a Hughes cam how was I going to live that down?
Quote:

What does everyone think about the all Hughes bashing that has been done on this board? Is *that* right? And what can Dave do about it? One can only take so much of that kind of sniping trash talk. I'm sick of it that is for sure, and I'll allow Dave some room to cut loose. I am a student and an amateur, so what can I say? I try to be professional about it though.

Dave brings on the bashing himself with the attitude he displays toward those who look to him for advice,he is not a people person and should never be allowed to answer a phone,I for one would like to have punched him right in the mouth for the way he talked to me when I called to order a cam a few years back,there was no call for him to treat me the way he did,had he not been such a dick my next call would not have been to Muscle Motors,in fact I may have never bought from them had he treated me right because I am very loyal!
Quote:

I wonder if there are any other cam suppliers who are relieved they didn't supply the EM-470 cam since the lifter bores were so far off only a lame chevy lobe would have worked and in that case the engine would not have made the impressive power it did.

I am at a loss on this one,why would anyone be relieved? we didn't blast Hughes,the problem was found and pointed out for all to see.

Quote:

I'm not posting anything more on this thread, if anyone has anything to say to me send a PM.

Now if all of you will excuse me I have an order to place....with Hughes Engines.

at first I saw this last line and thought to myself, "what an ass" then I looked at Drams last post and see that you and Dave are friends so I guess your just looking out for your buddy,after all we have to accept our friends for who they are or they won't be our friends,right?

Bottom line for me is that it's not Hughes cams,services or other products that get run down here,it's Dave himself because of the way he acts and it's just to damned bad because we have our hands full as it is just being mopar owners.

Now on to AndyF's post

Quote:

The thing that bugs me the most about this thread is that last time I ragged about Hughes being one of the big jerks in the Mopar business (there are several of them), JohnRR stood up for him! The EM team was supporting Hughes all the way. Hughes called this one all wrong.

Most (maybe all?) of the stuff that Hughes sells you can buy from other people. In many cases, you can buy direct from the people who Hughes buys it from. So if you don't want to support this guy any more then don't. You can build a mean Mopar without spending a dime in Hughes's shop.

here here!!

And to think at one point I even started to think it was pretty cool of Dave to donate some cams for us to try,I should have known they were not donated and the only reason he did so was to get his name in some more mags if we did well,well ok I did know the last part.

No third chances for me,two strikes and your out.

who is that guy?
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Brian_wo] #7301
11/25/03 10:11 PM
11/25/03 10:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FWIW...I don't know guys, I'm thinking everything that could be said, has been said. Now your starting to get pissed at each other, and thats not good.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7302
11/25/03 10:24 PM
11/25/03 10:24 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
well since you clicked reply on my reply let me say thats not the case at all,I am not pissed at Jesse or anyone else for that matter,I just picked his post apart because I don't agree with much of what was said.

who is that guy?
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: AndyF] #7303
11/25/03 10:36 PM
11/25/03 10:36 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

andy , you are totally correct , i had talked to dave and he was nothing but excited about supplying cams , he was very cordial to me , and he was even understanding and helpful when i called him after the cams failed , not to point fingers at his product but to buy more as i believed his cam was making serious power and i personally wanted him to get as much positive face time for his company as i could give him , and the others that helped us out .

that all went out the window on 11/24/03 , i was all set to drop another large chunk of change to get the motor back together and even PAY to dyno it with his cams and swap in another hughes cam to prove that we built a 750HP plus monster .

again that went out the window on 11/24/03 ...

running up my post count some more .
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Brian_wo] #7304
11/25/03 10:54 PM
11/25/03 10:54 PM
North Dakota
J
Jesse_Lackman Offline
super gas
Jesse_Lackman  Offline
super gas
J

North Dakota
Quote:

at first I saw this last line and thought to myself, "what an ass" then I looked at Drams last post and see that you and Dave are friends so I guess your just looking out for your buddy,after all we have to accept our friends for who they are or they won't be our friends,right?

This is how rumors start. I've bought parts from Hughes and liked them. I've talked to Dave Hughes a few times on the phone. I respect Dave's experience with Mopars. Does that make us "friends"? Does that mean we are buddies? I'm a customer, that's all.

There almost has to be more to this than meets the eye, and emotions.

I wish I hadn't posted anything at all.

Last edited by Jesse_Lackman; 11/25/03 11:54 PM.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: JohnRR] #7305
11/25/03 10:57 PM
11/25/03 10:57 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Quote:

that all went out the window on 11/24/03 , i was all set to drop another large chunk of change to get the motor back together and even PAY to dyno it with his cams and swap in another hughes cam to prove that we built a 750HP plus monster .

again that went out the window on 11/24/03 ...

Don't let Dave Hughes' maniacal ramblings get to you and not fix the EM 470. I have a very small financial part of that motor, so I don't really get much of a say in it, but as someone who was involved and did half of the head porting, I sure would like to see it be repaired and back on a Dyno in the future. It was too damn good of an engine not to fix. I think I can speak for Brett as well when I say at least the 2 of us would like to see it be fixed, and I'm sure the rest of the guys on the EM team would to. No need to leave the Hughes cam in it. I'll tell you what, if you want to fix it I will personally pay the $180 for Dwayne to have a very similar Custom Comp Cam ground for it.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Jesse_Lackman] #7306
11/25/03 11:01 PM
11/25/03 11:01 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

This is how rumors start. I've bought parts from Hughes and liked them. I've talked to Dave Hughes a few times on the phone. Does that make us "friends"? Does that mean we are buddies? I'm a customer, that's all.

jesse , everyone is entitled to their opinion , whether others agree with you or not , look at me , i'm the most politically incorrect , buck the money grubbing system guy i know , do i care what other think , no .

what kind of feedback dave is getting is anyone guess , he never called me or sent me a letter like he did when i posted about the cam failures .

my take is he is pissed that we didn't bush the lifter bores as he suggested , he didn't suggest hard enough and then he tells me that he has an even more aggresive cam that he sells to guys with bushed lifter bores ??? hello , had he told me that i would have bought the damm BHJ fixtures so the guy that larry felt comfortable with doing the job had the tools to do it while dan was away ...

he told me he was going to write up an article about our engine for his site , what he left out was that he was planning on throwing us ALL under the bus ...

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Brian_wo] #7307
11/25/03 11:02 PM
North Dakota
J
Jesse_Lackman Offline
super gas
Jesse_Lackman  Offline
super gas
J

North Dakota
repeat post

Last edited by Jesse_Lackman; 11/25/03 11:40 PM.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Jesse_Lackman] #7308

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

This is how rumors start. I've bought parts from Hughes and liked them. I've talked to Dave Hughes a few times on the phone. Does that make us "friends"? Does that mean we are buddies? I'm a customer, that's all.

Jesse,

I have to agree with you. Somebody's been talking poison into Hughes ear about Moparts. I can't see what we could have done to warrant him posting what he did on his site.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: RyanJ] #7309
11/25/03 11:04 PM
11/25/03 11:04 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
ryan , don't worry , its going to get fixed , and it will be run with the hughes cam , then its going to get SOMEONE elses cam with similar specs and i pray to the lord it makes more POWER

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: RyanJ] #7310
11/25/03 11:05 PM
11/25/03 11:05 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I'm in on that deal too. John, shoot me an email and tell me what you need to get the EM470 back running and I'll help out if I can. Maybe we can have it making more power with a Comp cam than it ever did with the Hughes. Now that would be funny.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: AndyF] #7311
11/25/03 11:07 PM
11/25/03 11:07 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
andy , i'm sending you a PM

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7312
11/25/03 11:27 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Quote:

Jesse,

I have to agree with you. Somebody's been talking poison into Hughes ear about Moparts. I can't see what we could have done to warrant him posting what he did on his site.

and yet...without contacting anyone from this board who was involved with the project, he went and did just that.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Jesse_Lackman] #7313
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

This is how rumors start. I've bought parts from Hughes. I've talked to Dave Hughes a few times on the phone. I respect Dave's experience with Mopars. Does that make us "friends"? Does that mean we are buddies? I'm a customer, that's all.

I wish I hadn't posted anything.

Guess I should not have posted my first thought
Don't take it personal,I saw Dram mention you and Dave were friends and figured he knew something I didn't.

who is that guy?
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Jesse_Lackman] #7314
11/26/03 12:04 AM
11/26/03 12:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[quote
This is how rumors start. I've bought parts from Hughes and liked them. I've talked to Dave Hughes a few times on the phone. I respect Dave's experience with Mopars. Does that make us "friends"? Does that mean we are buddies? I'm a customer, that's all.

jesse, based on our conversations, you stated that you were on "friendly" terms with dave hughes, and talked with him on a number of occasions. perhaps it was wrong of me to think that meant you were friends, sorry about the misunderstanding. no ill will was intended toward you.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7315
11/26/03 12:43 AM
11/26/03 12:43 AM
North Dakota
J
Jesse_Lackman Offline
super gas
Jesse_Lackman  Offline
super gas
J

North Dakota
DRAM ,

"Friendly", yes, he has always been nice to me.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Jesse_Lackman] #7316
11/26/03 12:46 AM
11/26/03 12:46 AM
Bloomington, Illernoise
cptn60 Offline
super stock
cptn60  Offline
super stock

Bloomington, Illernoise

Actually Dave Hughes is(was) a Chevy guy. Folks in the area quit using his stuff because of his attitude and frankly, some of the worst machine work in the 309 area code. He saw an opportunity to involve himself in the MoPar stuff and did. You are correct in saying that to him you are a customer and that is all. I cannot believe people still support his business. No one in the immediate area does, thats for sure.

This space available for rent
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16