11/24/03 10:38 PM
11/24/03 10:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dwayne, you said it better than I ever could have.

I wanted to ascertain that Mr. Hughes saw this thread, so I emailed him a link to it..

Scott Brown is going to sell the Bulldog heads? Thats good information for a Mopar chat board with 6500 members to know! I'll have to e-mail Scott at www.straightline-perf.com or www.racemufflers.com and find out the details.

BTW Dwayne, as you know, I went 10.79 @124 with a Comp cams solid flat tappet cam YOU spec'd for me. Thats with stock cubes, 10.7:1 compression, and in a 3650 lb package!

Last edited by Unlawfl; 11/24/03 10:50 PM.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7218
11/24/03 10:40 PM
11/24/03 10:40 PM
Wild West
M_D Offline
pro stock
M_D  Offline
pro stock

Wild West
There have been numerous posts in the past on cam failures, some relatively recent, and I believe the Hughes name has been involved on occasion. I suspect that got back to him, and he may think members of the EM team have been backstabbing him. Of course, that’s only a guess to what’s going on in his mind, I don’t really know what led him to publish that article.

There were some supporters of Hughes on the team. The sarcastic and demeaning attitude towards people and circumstances he does not know firsthand was unwarranted. Since he is telling it like he sees it, I'm going to stick up for the friends involved and do the same, although since one of the good friends I made during this whole EM project had nothing but good to say about Hughes I feel bad about the whole deal.

I would venture to guess that some of the guys involved on the team have forgot things Hughes has yet to learn and probably never will (about engines, not pumping septic tanks), and to be fair, I'm sure Hughes knows a thing or two also but I doubt he is going to get much smarter because he thinks he knows it all already. To be brutally honest, his tool (lifter broach) is a simplistic tool, it only indicates or broaches the approximate diameter, the bore could have critical geometry errors and not show up with out more sophisticated measuring.

There were others that either broke or didn’t have their entry at the contest in the first place. Also, the eventual winner had some cam problems during initial testing that he posted about on another board. Apparently he didn’t know what he was doing either, despite the fact he won it all and also happens to be a well-respected IHRA Pro-Stock and Pro-Mod engine builder. Lucky for him he wasn’t using Hughes cams, or else he could have been looking at the possibility of being called a dumb ass. Perhaps part of his business success is being humble and personable enough to even discuss his trial and tribulations with mere mortals, and his customers appreciate that and contribute to his success.

The whole approach we took in this contest was a tough way to go, it took time to coordinate and ship parts back and forth, which ate up week’s worth of time and monetary resources. It was a handicap at best, but at the same time it was a unique way to do it that allowed many to be involved, so the Moparts team approach had good points also. Another thing, it took a while to be officially accepted as a contestant, and then there were the rules (which were still subject to change, by the way), which came after that to study and make final choices. If we would have finished the engine up earlier than we did that would have been a big plus, but as far as testing in the spring, well that’s nothing more than a load of crap unless you were big gambling man with deep pockets.

Last edited by M_D; 11/24/03 11:22 PM.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas #7219
11/24/03 10:42 PM
11/24/03 10:42 PM
Santa Rosa, NOR*CAL.
Just Cameron Offline
Too Many Posts
Just Cameron  Offline
Too Many Posts

Santa Rosa, NOR*CAL.
I'VE NEVER BEEN TO HIS SITE BEFORE, THANKS FOR THE LINK.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Brian_wo] #7220
11/24/03 10:48 PM
11/24/03 10:48 PM
Hudson Mass
67Mopar Offline
master
67Mopar  Offline
master

Hudson Mass
Quote:

67mopar,after rereading I knew where you were going with it and really I didn't have much to do with it,just put up some money to help it get going.

and I know where you were going, or soda your choice when we meet up!!!

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Just Cameron] #7221
11/24/03 10:49 PM
11/24/03 10:49 PM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
Wow, don't visit th board for a few hours and ya miss alot! I've heard enough bad about Hughes before this that I'd never buy from them... definetly not now!

68 Road Runner, 69 Belvedere, 71 Challenger Vert
340 barracuda, 01 Ram CTD, 95 Ram, 04 Ram, 85 Daytona turbo Z
66 GTO, 06 Magnum RT AWD. 07 Ram CTD, 07 Ram
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: 67Mopar] #7222
11/24/03 10:53 PM
11/24/03 10:53 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

67mopar,after rereading I knew where you were going with it and really I didn't have much to do with it,just put up some money to help it get going.

Guess I need to go East we could pick up Mperry and have a couple

who is that guy?
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Brian_wo] #7223
11/24/03 11:03 PM
11/24/03 11:03 PM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
Hindsight is always 20/20. I bet Hughes built a few engines that ate cams.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: M_D] #7224
11/24/03 11:07 PM
11/24/03 11:07 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
i didn't read the whole document on hughes website and didn't need to. anyone that attemps to push another down to improve their position is simply an ass, and a weak one at that. i played no role in the EM contest and followed little of it. i sincerely doubt his attempt to rectify whatever perceived damage that MAY have been done to "his" camshaft's reputation will have the effect he thinks. i feel pretty comfortable he'll lose more business overall than he "might" save from this attack...if anything it seemed personal. i don't really know what hughes credentials are anyhow. how many national records has he set or how many of his engines are in the final round? does hughes engines have an outstanding reputation? as far as the body of this board i venture to say it's a good bit stronger than his customer base and i for one would never consider one of his products to be on my want/need list after this. they have NOTHING that can't be had elsewhere and usually at a lower price. i guess even though i played no role in the dyno engine i feel like (being a member) i've been attacked.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Brian_wo] #7225
11/24/03 11:09 PM
11/24/03 11:09 PM
Hudson Mass
67Mopar Offline
master
67Mopar  Offline
master

Hudson Mass
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike is a half hour from me, more importantly, 5 mins from my buddys bar in Fitchburg. Hey Tedzone, Im takeing over tonight Rt Man, and Johnrr are close by too.

Guess I need to go East we could pick up Mperry and have a couple

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: M_D] #7226
11/24/03 11:12 PM
11/24/03 11:12 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Quote:

To be brutally honest, his tool (lifter broach) is a simplistic tool, it only indicates or broaches the approximate diameter, the bore could have critical geometry errors and not show up with out more sophisticated measuring.

which was the situation in our case.
the bores could have been exactly the desired diameter, and it still would have chopped ANY fast rate .904 cam.
the bores werent located properly in the block, which was corrected when the lifter bores were sleeved.

Quote:

since one of the good friends I made during this whole EM project had nothing but good to say about Hughes I feel bad about the whole deal.

i was thinking the same thing when i read Daves rant. its like i could picture him sneeking up behind the guy right before he stabbed him in the back.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: 67Mopar] #7227
11/24/03 11:22 PM
11/24/03 11:22 PM
CT - just outside Hartford
Crazy73 Offline
master
Crazy73  Offline
master

Quote:

Quote:

The guys worked very hard on this motor, he fails to mention that there are some very knowlagable people on this board, DRAM, Hakim, and yea some hobbyists,

No offense but what has Hakim ever shown that he knows? there is a huge list of people who do know a lot and he might be on that list but it would be down a ways,anyway,I didn't post to blast Hakim,really at first I thought his name was listed as part of the EM and I was already seeing red

Anyone that has been here a while should know how I feel about Dave,I called and talked to his boy Chris,had a list of parts I already said I would buy and then I spoke with Dave,he was a huge ass,so much so that I ended up calling Eric at Muscle Motors and ordered my parts.

I will say this,I really enjoyed this thread,I have been blasted many times over the years for blasting Dave,now it seems as if MANY of you have had a chance to see the REAL Dave Hughes and I LOVE it.

Brian_WO, well put! I can remember several posts where you had voiced your opinion of Hughes and were slammed for it. Me, personally, never had any experience with him, and now I know I never will. Even though I made but a small contribution to the EngineMasters project, he will never see any money from me!

Quote:

That's just incredibly stupid.

For a company who based it's first line parts on someone else's camshafts (Engle) put into in a different package, Hughes sure is full of himself.

I'm happy with the custom Comp cam from fast68plymouth/Porter Racing Heads.

Well, I had a buddy or two recommend a few cams from Hughes for the 340 I am rebuilding this winter, but I wound up going with a Comp Cams that I purchased from Dwayne Porter @ Porter Racing Heads (fast68plymouth) -- I like the looks of the profile, and Dwayne was VERY helpful in chosing a grind for me, he gave me a few options that would all work for my combination, then he helped me pick the one best suited for my driving needs.

Quote:

The last I checked, the Enginemasters statements were that when running one of these cams, be sure to check the lifter bores and that it WAS a lesson learned in the end. I wonder how many people out there have one of these oversized lifter bore blocks that are running just fine with another cam.

So, to make Mr. Hughes happy, I will say it in front of all the people right here.. DO NOT BUY one of his cams unless you have had the lifter bores checked and/or resized and bushed But this ofcourse, is from an uN-professional, pea-on "hobbiest", so what would I know?

Gary, I guess you wouldn't know, just like I dont know that I will never buy from Hughes based on his "holier-than-thou" attitude he so courteously displayed. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his armpits

Pete
-1968 Barracuda 4spd 383-6pk
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: fast68plymouth] #7228
11/24/03 11:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i'd like to make a final point on a related subject. as a EMC team member, i got to spend some time talking with the other team members. some more than others. as a group, we got it done. not once did anyone ever lay blame to bad parts, or more importantly to any individual for finishing where we did. everyone was supportive, but yet honest. i feel like i made some friends while participating in that endeavor. i also feel like i began to understand just a little better what makes these guy's tick. i have the utmost respect for all involved. each one displayed nothing but top notch professionalism and fortitude to get the job done. my hat's off to all of you. that is just a personal thank you because i felt i owed it to you. you all worked your butts off to get it done

i've been berated by much better people than you know who, LOL . but i will say this. he who laughs last, laughs best, and you know what. i'm now laughing

Last edited by DRAM; 11/24/03 11:34 PM.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Crazy73] #7229

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Darn, looks like my new grind will be returning to Dave. May he sit and spin on it. Scott it is.
Jon

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: DoctorDiff] #7230
11/24/03 11:32 PM
11/24/03 11:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I especially like this comment on his site. "Please note, if you have purchased parts from Summit, PAW, Jegs, etc. and have questions or problems with them, call them, not us. They owe you the information, they took your money, not us. We will be happy to help you with parts you purchased from us. We realize that they cannot help you, but you made the decision to buy from them, so you must live with the problems.

I have called Summit AND Jegs before asking for help with products they sell but were not purchased from them...and they are more than happy to help if they knew the answers...why? Because they know that thier actions will keep me coming back!

I called Dave a couple years ago, and the way he treated me on the phone when I asked about cams and heads was enough for me to know that I would NEVER buy a damn thing from him EVER!!!!

I can not believe that he would say such terrible things about some of the most knowledgeable guys around here!

So long Dave, hope you enjoy your wait in line at the unemployment office!

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: DoctorDiff] #7231
11/24/03 11:42 PM
11/24/03 11:42 PM
Staten Island N.Y.
Dap Offline
top fuel
Dap  Offline
top fuel

Staten Island N.Y.
I can see that someone must have peed in MR Hughes`s cheerios.We all make mistakes from time to time (I know i do ).And when we do hopefully we learn from them and move on. The problem was found to be in the lifterbore not his camshaft. I did not see anyone putting any blame on his product. If he would have written an article which explained how to properly check the lifterbore and the effects of what will happen if a problem were to go un noticed then he would sell a lot of those broaching tools he sells and keep his customers and not send them away.

By the way i was talking with MM the new Bulldog heads will be available through them as well. So i guess MR Hughes is not the only fish in the sea.

PRH446
10.084 @ 135.21 mph N/A through chambered mufflers,3300lbs. Stock stroke wedge
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Mas [Re: Crazy73] #7232
11/24/03 11:53 PM
11/24/03 11:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I will say this,I really enjoyed this thread,I have been blasted many times over the years for blasting Dave,now it seems as if MANY of you have had a chance to see the REAL Dave Hughes and I LOVE it.

I feel the same way. I had dealings with him on two cams that I bought about three years ago and I found out really quick what an a$$hole he is.

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7233
11/25/03 12:05 AM
11/25/03 12:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well dave lets see you get your a$$ out of this mess nice going I think you have realy SCREWED your self good this time

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7234
11/25/03 12:22 AM
11/25/03 12:22 AM
Renton Wa
T
topfueldart Offline
master
topfueldart  Offline
master
T

Renton Wa
I agree, the fallout from this will be a much larger impact than Dave could ever imagine, i will never purchase anything from Hughes, and neither will any of my family members, anyone who reads this post, or any of the people that come to the counter at the speedshop i work at looking for a mopar camshaft ... how about we sticky this to the top?

11.48 @ 120 with a 1.80 60' 318, stock 1.88 heads, stock 904, Pump Gas, 13 lbs of boost.

9.94 @ 134, 318 on pump gas, 14 lbs w/ Eddies, transbrake 727, 3600 lbs, 3.54 gear and 28's.
Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters [Re: topfueldart] #7235
11/25/03 12:32 AM
11/25/03 12:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Hughes Engines comments re: Moparts Engine Masters #7236
11/25/03 12:33 AM
11/25/03 12:33 AM
Crazy73 Offline
master
Crazy73  Offline
master

I would spend $.37 to mail this thread to him in a Christmas Card envelope

"Seasons Greetings from all us amatures at Moparts.com! Hope 2004 is as good for you as 2003 was."

Pete
-1968 Barracuda 4spd 383-6pk
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16