Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

Just incase anyones intetrest is piqued, heres one for sale in Race Parts section(no i dont know DaveW..just think its a smoking deal!!!)

"...Originally built by David Nickens. Combination made over 1400 HP @ 10,000 RPM.

Brand new 99 Hemi Mopar block
Sonny Bryant crank
MGP rods
Diamond coated pistons w/pins
2 camshafts
Jesel .937 keyway lifters
99 Hemi heads
Titanium valves
Jesel rockers with stands
Mag valve covers
Beck intake manifold
2 new C&S 1050 carbs
Stainless steel header kit with flanges

All for $13,500. PM me or call my...."

1400hp sounds nice but what kind of power do they make down at 8000rpm?

For pulling im just thinking if that engine got on a sticky track it would pull the engine down from 10000rpm and i was wondering if it would just then die like a high screaming small block. I've seen some of the best 650's just die on a tuff clay track at the end of the track

No expert on pulling, but seems like you are absolutely right about that. IMO, you would want to go with some deck spacers and get up in the 700ci range.

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: B1Fish540] #703314
05/24/10 08:59 PM
05/24/10 08:59 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
And another little sobering dose of reality....

Over the years, all of the biggest and best performance aftermaket companies have spent untold dollars on correcting every factory shortcoming of the Chevy and Ford engines.

Valvetrains unstable??? No problem....shaft rockers. The heads stink??? No problem.....design new ones from scratch and if they deviate from stock appearing, so be it. Short decks??? No problem....raise em'. No matter the issue (and there are 100s), it was solved.

N/A MOPAR engines, big and small have reached their pinnacles from MOPAR.....the W-8 in smallblock wedge, the P-5 in all out smallblock, the HEMI 99' in bigblock.

What we need is the aftermarket to step up and design hardware that solves some of the factory issues.......like the 4.800BS. A series of blocks in different deck heights that will accept state of the art cylinder heads. A killer head already exists in the 99'. That platform is proven and can be built upon.

Imagine CFE, MBE, RFD, Darrin Morgan, etc., creating programs for variations of the 99' style engine or the P-5 smallblocks and updating the castings as required. This is an absolute must, because even if the heads and blocks were readily availible, without R&D from the best people, we'd scrating our butts with developmental shortcomings.

Problem is.....what comes first, the chicken or the egg??? Without the parts, there can be no customers and without the customers, few if any companys are willing to make the investments.

There is no magic in the Chevy or Ford engines....they have simply benefitted from decades of the top guys eliminating their many flaws, without penalty from Ford and Chevy racers crying about how far from "stock" the fixes took their engines. Look at the Profiler, Big Chief, Raptor, etc., do they resemble rectangular port iron BBC junk??? Of course not.

Until a huge investment is made, MOPAR engines will always suffer when trying to compete with engines that have had the luxury of this kind of development.

You can build a killer MOPAR with conventional stuff like the Stage V Millenium, or a B1 PSO with a 4.800 block......but if anyone thinks it will be competitve against a similar sized dedicated race engine they call Ford or Chevy with a set of killer heads from CFE or the like......forget it.

Unfortunately....I won't hold my breath waiting for the hardware or the development to suddenly appear.

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: jim sciortino] #703315
05/24/10 09:08 PM
05/24/10 09:08 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Over the years, all of the biggest and best performance aftermaket companies have spent untold dollars on correcting every factory shortcoming of the Chevy and Ford engines.

Valvetrains unstable??? No problem....shaft rockers. The heads stink??? No problem.....design new ones from scratch and if they deviate from stock appearing, so be it. Short decks??? No problem....raise em'. No matter the issue (and there are 100s), it was solved.

N/A MOPAR engines, big and small have reached their pinnacles from MOPAR.....the W-8 in smallblock wedge, the P-5 in all out smallblock, the HEMI 99' in bigblock.

What we need is the aftermarket to step up and design hardware that solves some of the factory issues.......like the 4.800BS. A series of blocks in different deck heights that will accept state of the art cylinder heads. A killer head already exists in the 99'. That platform is proven and can be built upon.

Imagine CFE, MBE, RFD, Darrin Morgan, etc., creating programs for variations of the 99' style engine or the P-5 smallblocks and updating the castings as required. This is an absolute must, because even if the heads and blocks were readily availible, without R&D from the best people, we'd scrating our butts with developmental shortcomings.

Problem is.....what comes first, the chicken or the egg??? Without the parts, there can be no customers and without the customers, few if any companys are willing to make the investments.

There is no magic in the Chevy or Ford engines....they have simply benefitted from decades of the top guys eliminating their many flaws, without penalty from Ford and Chevy racers crying about how far from "stock" the fixes took their engines. Look at the Profiler, Big Chief, Raptor, etc., do they resemble rectangular port iron BBC junk??? Of course not.

Until a huge investment is made, MOPAR engines will always suffer when trying to compete with engines that have had the luxury of this kind of development.

You can build a killer MOPAR with conventional stuff like the Stage V Millenium, or a B1 PSO with a 4.800 block......but if anyone thinks it will be competitve against a similar sized dedicated race engine they call Ford or Chevy with a set of killer heads from CFE or the like......forget it.

Unfortunately....I won't hold my breath waiting for the hardware or the development to suddenly appear.

This post is absolutely correct. I just don't have the money for R and D.

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: BobR] #703316
05/24/10 10:34 PM
05/24/10 10:34 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

I could'nt agree more also,some people with deep pockets need to step up and do as Jim and others suggest..develope these excelent heads we already have.

Last edited by Chester Burnett; 05/25/10 12:57 AM.
Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: B1Fish540] #703317
05/25/10 04:33 AM
05/25/10 04:33 AM
Hamburg / Germany
D
Den300 Offline
enthusiast
Den300  Offline
enthusiast
D

Hamburg / Germany
Quote:

Quote:

what about an engine with the 32 valve hemi heads from covalt?
fully ported with the biggest possbile valves? as far as
I know the only ever produced engine (572cui) with these heads
(basic version)made nearly [Email]1100hp@6900rpm[/Email] with a small cam and
1.80"intake and 1.35" exhaust valves.
but you can go as big as two 1.9" intake valves and two
1.45" exhaust valves. the heads flow close to [Email]490@0.650"[/Email]
lift intake and 330" at the exhaust.

Weren't those marketed by NRC(same poeple that brought out the first Predators)? Anyway, I have never seen any in an actual car. Not sure if there would be valve train issues at 8000+ rpm or if it was an OHC design..cant remember. But i think it went over like a "Led Zepplin" ..i.e., not much interest. Interesting head, for sure!

should be able to turn over 8000 rpm due to the "small" valves.
the weight will be splitted into 4 valves not into 2 which means
less mass.
one single cam in the middle (sorry, forgot the english term for it).

Hamburg/Germany

69 Chrysler 300
446cui Dual Quad
12.64 @ 110.7

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: Den300] #703318
05/25/10 10:41 AM
05/25/10 10:41 AM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what about an engine with the 32 valve hemi heads from covalt?
fully ported with the biggest possbile valves? as far as
I know the only ever produced engine (572cui) with these heads
(basic version)made nearly [Email]1100hp@6900rpm[/Email] with a small cam and
1.80"intake and 1.35" exhaust valves.
but you can go as big as two 1.9" intake valves and two
1.45" exhaust valves. the heads flow close to [Email]490@0.650"[/Email]
lift intake and 330" at the exhaust.

Weren't those marketed by NRC(same poeple that brought out the first Predators)? Anyway, I have never seen any in an actual car. Not sure if there would be valve train issues at 8000+ rpm or if it was an OHC design..cant remember. But i think it went over like a "Led Zepplin" ..i.e., not much interest. Interesting head, for sure!

should be able to turn over 8000 rpm due to the "small" valves.
the weight will be splitted into 4 valves not into 2 which means
less mass.
one single cam in the middle (sorry, forgot the english term for it).

Guess my memory aint too bad..lol.they were sold by NRC. (Neuman Racing) Here is an old thread about them with some good info and pics:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5488738&Main=5487763

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: B1Fish540] #703319
05/25/10 11:04 AM
05/25/10 11:04 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I could'nt agree more also,some people with deep pockets need to step up and do as Jim and others suggest..develope these excelent heads we already have.

The thing is, when people do step up and spend the money, (Chuck and Pete @ Best Machine) the Mopar guys that have the money don't support the effort. They had something like 10 sets of PSO heads made quite a while ago at their expense, and they still have one set left after a couple of years, if not longer. As Chuck pointed out the other day, they are the same money as the fully ported set of M/C's from Koffels. I am not in any way slamming Koffels, just making a point. The bottom line is, the development and outlay of money for a prototype is massive to say the least. And then to have a first run get slowly purchased, is the deterent to most people.

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: camastomcat] #703320
05/25/10 12:37 PM
05/25/10 12:37 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

The thing is, when people do step up and spend the money, (Chuck and Pete @ Best Machine) the Mopar guys that have the money don't support the effort. They had something like 10 sets of PSO heads made quite a while ago at their expense, and they still have one set left after a couple of years, if not longer. As Chuck pointed out the other day, they are the same money as the fully ported set of M/C's from Koffels. I am not in any way slamming Koffels, just making a point. The bottom line is, the development and outlay of money for a prototype is massive to say the least. And then to have a first run get slowly purchased, is the deterent to most people.

A highly evolved '99 motor would be aimed at a small niche market, much like the big Sonnys motors. So, the sponsor(s) of such a venture would be prepared and even expect losses for perhaps years before the program really took off. This does'nt mean a smaller less expensive head based on the '99 could not be mass produced, like those GM heads from Brodix and Dart. Think "predator" but more of a scaled down '99. I'd like to see a P5 little hemi for a small blocks maded readily available as well! We HAVE the heads, thanks to Mopar Performnce. MP cant do this, however, and are not motivated to anyway.

Where are the millionare/billionare Chrysler guys? Thats what I'd be interested in finding out, they MUST be out there...some where..maybe not even in the US. They would have to have the same passion as we do, because, surely, there would be no money to be made.

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: B1Fish540] #703321
05/25/10 11:18 PM
05/25/10 11:18 PM
Quebec, Canada
D
Diablo Offline
super stock
Diablo  Offline
super stock
D

Quebec, Canada
to get my heads straight.... the hemi millennium head is based on the 4.800 BS and the 99 head is based on the 4.900BS.... Then what are the hemi heads on the 5 inch BS engines... a different generation of the 99 head?

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: Diablo] #703322
05/25/10 11:39 PM
05/25/10 11:39 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

to get my heads straight.... the hemi millennium head is based on the 4.800 BS and the 99 head is based on the 4.900BS.... Then what are the hemi heads on the 5 inch BS engines... a different generation of the 99 head?

It may have been a little differnt, the heads are delivered un-machined to guys like Kaase or Jones, so I cant say for sure. But yes, its the same '99 casting stretched another .100 in BS. you can bet the valves were/are bigger than 2.55.

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: B1Fish540] #703323
05/26/10 08:29 AM
05/26/10 08:29 AM
Canada/USA
R
ragingram Offline OP
ragingram  Offline OP
R

Canada/USA
Quote:

Just incase anyones intetrest is piqued, heres one for sale in Race Parts section(no i dont know DaveW..just think its a smoking deal!!!)

"...Originally built by David Nickens. Combination made over 1400 HP @ 10,000 RPM.

Sonny Bryant crank
MGP rods
2 camshafts
99 Hemi heads
Titanium valves
Mag valve covers
Beck intake manifold
2 new C&S 1050 carbs

So could it be possible (maybe even smart) to purchase an (low priced high dollar) engine like this then have LSM build a billit block which will allow a BIG bore and stroke to make the 650ci. So you would be just replacing the rotating assembly im guessing pushrods for the taller deck....Intake will need some adjusting.

Or maybe the better route would be to just add deck spacer to the exhisting block and new sleeves.

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: ragingram] #703324
05/26/10 09:57 AM
05/26/10 09:57 AM
PA
68CudaB1 Offline
mopar
68CudaB1  Offline
mopar

PA
Quote:

Quote:

Sonny Bryant crank
MGP rods
2 camshafts
99 Hemi heads
Titanium valves
Mag valve covers
Beck intake manifold
2 new C&S 1050 carbs

So could it be possible (maybe even smart) to purchase an (low priced high dollar) engine like this then have LSM build a billit block which will allow a BIG bore and stroke to make the 650ci. So you would be just replacing the rotating assembly im guessing pushrods for the taller deck....Intake will need some adjusting.

Or maybe the better route would be to just add deck spacer to the exhisting block and new sleeves.

If you want more than 550", the best way IMO is to go w/ a CN or LSM Billet block. CN has done one already that utilizes a Chevy crank and pan setup, then utilizes the 99' heads, custom Marcella intake, etc. Unfortunately, the only real usable parts on a NHRA P/S Hemi engine to run this combo are the heads. Even if you go w/ deck spacers, ALOT will need to be changed and in the end, you still are using deck spacer...just my

One bad part about the Billet Block, the CN version block mentioned above is $9500

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: camastomcat] #703325
05/26/10 11:21 AM
05/26/10 11:21 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The problem here, is if you do step up and spend the money on the PSO stuff, you still have nothing, as compared to other brands. You still have a 4.800BS motor with a small bore, that will NOT get it done against the best other brands have to offer.

And, as good as the 99 head is, it is light years behind the other stuff as far as development. There are new Chevy and Ford style heads everyday. That is not going to happen with Mopars

Monte

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: Monte_Smith] #703326
05/26/10 11:50 AM
05/26/10 11:50 AM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.

The problem here, is if you do step up and spend the money on the PSO stuff, you still have nothing, as compared to other brands. You still have a 4.800BS motor with a small bore, that will NOT get it done against the best other brands have to offer.

And, as good as the 99 head is, it is light years behind the other stuff as far as development. There are new Chevy and Ford style heads everyday. That is not going to happen with Mopars

Monte

My point, exactly.

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: jim sciortino] #703327
05/26/10 12:06 PM
05/26/10 12:06 PM
PA
68CudaB1 Offline
mopar
68CudaB1  Offline
mopar

PA
I respectfully disagree that the 99 Hemi is light years behind the other stuff.......didn't the 99' Hemi head just qualify #1 or #2 at the most recent NHRA Event??? Far from light years IMO....

I would put up a 650" 99'Hemi up against any other head out there running 650", and IMO, would come out pretty good

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: Monte_Smith] #703328
05/26/10 12:13 PM
05/26/10 12:13 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

Monte

Did you really have to use the the term "light years"..lol

Seriously, in what way is the '99 that far behind?

Trying to be realistic here, the'99 is still the best engine is Pro Stock. What is it about the Ford hemi and Sonnys(other than SIZE) that makes them "light years" ahead??

BTW, I have to agree on the B1 PSO, i think we all applaud Pete at Best Machine for resurrecting the best inline valve head in existence. IMHO, it is aimed at the nostalgia crowd and i think you will see more of the PSO when a dual four intake like the rat roaster comes out for it.

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: B1Fish540] #703329
05/26/10 01:47 PM
05/26/10 01:47 PM
Trumbull,CT.
J
jim sciortino Offline
top fuel
jim sciortino  Offline
top fuel
J

Trumbull,CT.
Not that I would presume to know what Monte is thinking, but I'm guessing he means the ability to pick up the phone and call any of the top cylinder head shops and simply write a check for the latest HEMI 99' program......like the Chevy and Ford guys can with their unconventional heads.

Post deleted by Defbob [Re: 68CudaB1] #703330
05/26/10 02:41 PM
05/26/10 02:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: jim sciortino] #703331
05/26/10 02:48 PM
05/26/10 02:48 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Not that I would presume to know what Monte is thinking, but I'm guessing he means the ability to pick up the phone and call any of the top cylinder head shops and simply write a check for the latest HEMI 99' program......like the Chevy and Ford guys can with their unconventional heads.

Sad but true. I have thought many times about making the change to Chevy, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm just a Mopar guy and always will be. Maybe part of that is know the crap I'll get for switching sides.

Re: Money no option.. 650ci... How much power can you get! [Re: camastomcat] #703332
05/26/10 02:59 PM
05/26/10 02:59 PM
Quebec, Canada
D
Diablo Offline
super stock
Diablo  Offline
super stock
D

Quebec, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Sad but true. I have thought many times about making the change to Chevy, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm just a Mopar guy and always will be. Maybe part of that is know the crap I'll get for switching sides.

I agree! It would seem "smart to switch to ford or GM". The amount of money i have spent on my TS engine would have given me a GM or Ford engine with 100-200 more hp.
But i guess this is what makes us mopar loyalist... As stupid as we are we almost rather struggle with a DODGE then win with a GM.... Oh well i always like the feeling when we do win or when i'm the only dodge at the track! (which is almost always)

Best thing about pulling is the most hp does not always win. It has to do ALOT about how the truck is set up and the driver. This is why my 500ci two years ago ended up in 2nd overall out of 12 trucks.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7