06/10/08 10:20 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

I was just kidding about the cars in the rain pics, every ad that I see the cars are in the rain.

You obviously have had experience with the Keisler installs. But it is interesting that there are some installs that need to be broke in. Is this the experience that the "Happy Folks" have had with the Tremec 5 speed? Just trying to get a concensus here.

Ron,....I just "razzin" you about the "dry" track photos ..........as far as break in time on the Keislers/TKO's,.....everyone I've installed needed time to "loosen" up, I've had some that from shipping got dropped on the mainshaft and locked the tranny up!( usally when the box shows up with the mainshaft sticking out! it's gonna be a "fun" day!).......I've had those "head banging" days too installing these things, usally it when a new design is being fitted, or trying to prototype some part for Keisler........you don't want to know what a "nightmare" the 71 B body bench shifter location was trying to nail down.......I wanted it purely mechanical,.....Keisler wanted to go remote, (electronic)......eventually "mechanical" won out...........but overall I've been impressed with Keisler, and their product,......IMAO, their unit (TKO5)far exceeds Gear Vendors(727/833OD) offerings in performance and reliability......all the GV users,.....wait until the day your "tooling" along at 100 MPH+ and your unit drops out(electronically) and the rear locks up!......hope you have the driving skills to handle the car..........
Ron

Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you [Re: MadMatt] #69485
06/10/08 01:10 PM
06/10/08 01:10 PM
Renton, Wa.
C
Classof70Chally Offline
super gas
Classof70Chally  Offline
super gas
C

Renton, Wa.
Quote:

I've read this whole thread with great interest, because I have been contemplating the swap from 727 to TKO600 for quite a while. I'm just wondering if all the problems cited are related to units from Keisler. Has anyone used a kit from Classic Mopar 5-speed? Is there any difference in their units? Do they have the same sort of problems?

My kit is from Classic 5. I also had to modify my E Body tunnel where the upper rear pass side of the trans case is. I probably had to dimple the sheet metal about 1" in several spots just to get the trans high enough for the new cross member to go under it. When I was done the tail shaft was several inches lower that my rear pinion yoke. Part of this may be due to the fact that my body ride height is several inches lower than stock. I had some driveline vibration and after some trial and error I eliminated all or most of it by shimming my pinion angle about 3-4 degrees down. At first it shifted smooth as a babys behind but after several full power speed shifts it became a bit sticky especially when sitting still and going into reverse or first. I adjusted the clutch linkage several times and this seemed to help. However I suspect that on one of my "Ronnie Sox" wannabe shifts the bellhousing became slightly misaligned and is causing the problem. Overall I am happy with the swap although by the time I bought a new bellhousing, pistol grip and clutch and flywheel I was at or just over $4K . I was able to sell my old set up which helped take some of the sting out of the price. I did my swap on a friends lift which is the only way to go if you can. It took more than "one weekend" however. Even with someone helping it was more like 3-4 days before it was on the road.

Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you [Re: Classof70Chally] #69486
06/10/08 02:31 PM
06/10/08 02:31 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline
super stock
MadMatt  Offline
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

My kit is from Classic 5. I also had to modify my E Body tunnel where the upper rear pass side of the trans case is. I probably had to dimple the sheet metal about 1" in several spots just to get the trans high enough for the new cross member to go under it. When I was done the tail shaft was several inches lower that my rear pinion yoke. Part of this may be due to the fact that my body ride height is several inches lower than stock. I had some driveline vibration and after some trial and error I eliminated all or most of it by shimming my pinion angle about 3-4 degrees down.

I've been considering doing the swap on my '70 Dart with a SB. I recently had the opportunity at the Spring Fling to chat at length with Scott Lindquist and one of the tech guys (I forget his name)from Classic 5 speed about a new kit they are developing for the A-bodies. They are taking a really different approach. They have just accepted the fact that it is impossible to install a TKO in an A-body without a lot of cutting so they have decided to go all the way. The kit will require you to cut out the upper center section of the T-bar x-member and a surrounding area of floor. The kit will include a new, permanently mounted, upper x-member to tie into the ends of the T-bar x-member and a new section of floor. It will also, of course, have a new bolt in lower trans x-member. By going this route they will be able to use unmodified TKO transmissions, avoiding the complicated redesign and machining that they and Keisler have employed in previous applications. They also claim that by avoiding the machine work on the trannies and using a stock TKO 500 or 600 they can knock about $700 off the price of the kits! I've been staying in touch with them by e-mail and they say they should have the first kits for sale around the end of the month. I'm very interested, but after reading this thread I will have some very pointed questions for them about hydraulic T/O bearings, etc. before I buy. Probably won't be much of an issue though, as my motor only makes about 350 ft/lbs of torque and rarely sees over 6000 rpm.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you! [Re: mercman1] #69487
06/10/08 10:29 PM
06/10/08 10:29 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
I'm glad I'm reading this now because I was considering upgrading my 4sp 71 RR to a 5 speed, but I need to shift up to at least 6500.

I'm no transmission expert. If the aftermarket trans needs a million alignment modifications, then forget it.

What other manual O/D options are out there? Money is no object.

Jim

Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you! [Re: NITROUSN] #69488
06/10/08 10:37 PM
06/10/08 10:37 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

A lot of the negative crap gets slung by people that never owned one or ever will have one. Lots of hapl ford and gm guys running them as well as most mopar guys. You just dont see the happy ones crying.

It's easy to deal with happy customers. The way a vendor handles a dissatisfied customer speaks volumes. I don't think mercman's issues were handled well at all.

Jim

Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you! [Re: JF_Moparts] #69489
06/11/08 12:15 AM
06/11/08 12:15 AM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
Quote:

Transzilla
http://www.rsgear.com/transzilla.asp

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you! [Re: JF_Moparts] #69490
06/11/08 12:50 AM
06/11/08 12:50 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

I'm glad I'm reading this now because I was considering upgrading my 4sp 71 RR to a 5 speed, but I need to shift up to at least 6500.

I'm no transmission expert. If the aftermarket trans needs a million alignment modifications, then forget it.

Jim

If you really need the o/d, you could bolt a gear vendors to your 4sp.

Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you! [Re: RylisPro] #69491
06/11/08 02:12 AM
06/11/08 02:12 AM
Vista, CA
71Chip Offline
enthusiast
71Chip  Offline
enthusiast

Vista, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Transzilla
http://www.rsgear.com/transzilla.asp

Isnt that thing $8,800 with a core charge just for the transmission? (no bellhousing, etc)

71 Challenger
Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you! [Re: 71Chip] #69492
06/11/08 08:56 AM
06/11/08 08:56 AM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
last time I called them it was that price outright, no core charge necesarry

73 `Cuda
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you [Re: NITROUSN] #69493
06/11/08 11:56 AM
06/11/08 11:56 AM
Dalton, MA
Slipknot440 Offline
master
Slipknot440  Offline
master

Dalton, MA
I miss the 7000+ rpm shifts. I haven't shifted my hemi above 4500 yet but I had 372 stroker (340) in my old 73 cuda and was able to take it up over 8500 if I wanted. I had 727 and had no tranny probs in the 2 years I owned so I didn't feel the need for the manual swap...If it ain't broke don't fix it

Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you [Re: JF_Moparts] #69494
06/11/08 01:18 PM
06/11/08 01:18 PM
Southern Oklahoma
wildman340 Offline
master
wildman340  Offline
master

Southern Oklahoma
Summit sells a Richmond 5 spd for Mopars but I don't think you are going to find a 5 spd "drop in" setup.

1974 Dodge Dart Sport 340 4 Spd Endless Project 1999 Ram 1500 CC 5.2 5 speed
Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you [Re: wildman340] #69495
06/16/08 09:11 AM
06/16/08 09:11 AM
South Georgia
tx9cuda Offline
mopar
tx9cuda  Offline
mopar

South Georgia

What they don't tell you? Come on - every e-body guy that spends any time on this site knows that you will likely have to clearance the right front of the tunnel to fit the trans correctly - Keisler even supplies the metal,template and instructions to do it. I met Mercman at the Southern Nationals (beautiful car I must add)and he knows that the driveline angle is way out of whack because he refuses to cut the floor. There is no way that this car can shift correctly if the angles are as bad as he describes. I wish he would go ahead and do the tunnel mod (I'm sure his body man could make it invisible from below) and give this trans a chance. With all the other mods,including frame connectors-why not install the trans correctly? I hate to see Keisler get trashed when the owner knows the install is not right. If it were right and the trans was terrible - yea let the trashing begin. I struck up a conversation with Mercman because I have also purchased a Keisler kit for my Cuda, which will be installed in the next month or so - I have already prepared myself to have to do the floor mod and yes Keisler told me up front. When I get my car completed and put a few miles on it - I'll truthfully post my opinion on the Keisler kit.
No disrespect to Mercman but the bottom line is - E-body guys- if you are not willing to cut the floor - don't buy this trans kit.

1971 BS23H1B
Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you [Re: tx9cuda] #69496
06/16/08 10:03 AM
06/16/08 10:03 AM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Quote:

No disrespect to Mercman but the bottom line is - E-body guys- if you are not willing to cut the floor - don't buy this trans kit.

None to you either, but you missed a few:

No Shifts above 6000rpm
No fast shifts from 2-3rd
No hydraulic clutch bearing that will hold-up
No warrenty for wrong/defective items
Not a bolt in
Not done in a "week end"
Not just $4000K and your done

I had considered running one, but I am glad I did my research on here, and that's what this site is about. Finding out from people who have one, and what it intales when considering one, and not just the sales pitch. I am glad I used this site as well as made some phone calls on my own to them. 9/10 times in advertising, its about making money, not about fully informing someone, and this site tells the rest. I always listen when the manufacturers talk, but don't make a claim that you can't back up, because we may call you on it. Tell it how it is. If its $4000 for an entire kit fine, but if your told its $4k for everything you need, and you end up shelling out $6k...That's a whole nother story. What upgrades might have to be considered, and what do they cost all should factor into it, and not left out till after its in the car.

When I talked with these folks and they stated that Matt Delaney runs one pretty hard behind a hemi, he never mention about a 6000rpm limit or a $2000 upgrade....What the heck do they think we shift these things at? None of that's in the sales pitch, nor was it mention in any conversations I had with them. I found it tough to believe that for $4k you could buy an OD trans that would take the beating of 600hp heavy street car, but that's what they would like you to believe. It sounds like that for $6k, you might get what you need, but I have not seen a full list of what that includes, but even then, does it hold up and why hide all the upgrades needed?

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you [Re: daytonakid] #69497
06/16/08 10:04 AM
06/16/08 10:04 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I have a kiesler tremec setup in my superbird clone I purchased it in 2000. Within months I had the shiftrods fall apart. I had to remove top of trans. They had used drift pins that were to loose. Had to send trans back for warranty work. I bought complete kit including bell housing. Trans shifts like a big truck. Now I guess they have a updated shift tower but keisler has never sent me info so I could solve my problem. I have always had clutch problems. I installed their mccleod clutch first had very high peddle effort and the pressure plate finally failed. They then sold me a diaphram clutch and told remove me to remove the overcenter spring. I never did remove the over center spring because I know how hard they are to replace. I tried to tell them that is the wrong for a mopar but they assured me it would work. If you drive normal it's fine try to shift it under hard acceleration cluth pedal sticks to floor. I have so many other projects at work and at home I just gave up and I've just lived with this for years. But it doesn't work right. I remember when I started this project they tried to talk me into their hyd clutch. Come to find out the first ones were junk. Glad I didn't listen to them on that one. If they have poor engineering they should offer updates to us poor suckers stuck with their junk. I have a gear vendors in my duster that runs 10.30 has been there for 4 years not one problem. I only spent 2300 for it you tell me which is best. Bill

you have a diaphragm clutch you HAVE TO REMOVE the overcenter spring or the pedal is going to stick to the floor . make a way to hold the clutch pedal to the floor and insert washers in between a bunch of the coils , now release the clutch the spring should come off easily . now wrap it in something to keep the washers in place and put it away so if you want to put it back it should go back in fairly easily

Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you [Re: mercman1] #69498
06/16/08 10:06 AM
06/16/08 10:06 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

For those that think shifter location is an option...it is not unless you want to do MAJOR surgery. On an E-body the shifter does not enter the top of the trans and move the rail directly... it mounts to a bracket bolted to the rear of the trans.A clevis type device (red arrow) moves the rail (green arrow)I also had a lot of shifter shake which Kiesler repaired for me while the trans was in for repairs.

so let me get this right , you didn't want to dimple the floor but you WELDED IN subframe connectors ???

Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you [Re: Dragula] #69499
06/16/08 10:38 AM
06/16/08 10:38 AM
South Georgia
tx9cuda Offline
mopar
tx9cuda  Offline
mopar

South Georgia
Quote:

Quote:

None to you either, but you missed a few:

No Shifts above 6000rpm
No fast shifts from 2-3rd
No hydraulic clutch bearing that will hold-up
No warrenty for wrong/defective items
Not a bolt in
Not done in a "week end"
Not just $4000K and your done

My point was that if the trans was installed correctly some of the problems may have been eliminated and the E-body floor issue has been well documented. I personally would not be looking at a basic Keisler kit for drag racing applications either (I.E.-high RPM shifting). I will be running a basically stock 340 and 4.10 gears and want to be able to enjoy more driveability with the steep gears - I believe that to be what the kit is marketed for. It amazes me how some think for $3495 you are going to get the holy grail of racing transmissions. My personal opinion is if Mercman would dimple the floor and use his original mechanical linkage instead of the "wifey" hydraulic- chances are he would have been much happier.

1971 BS23H1B
Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you! [Re: mercman1] #69500
06/16/08 01:09 PM
06/16/08 01:09 PM
Tennessee
rj8806 Offline
enthusiast
rj8806  Offline
enthusiast

Tennessee
Please allow to me to clear up some mis-information on this thread....
Mercman and I have been in contact with each other for the better part of 6 months now trying to get his car on the road. There were several items that needed to be addressed in his case. He had the older hydraulic setup that we could not get working, so I sent him (at no charge) a new bearing setup for the front of the transmission and then sold him a new master cylinder setup. I gave him my cell hone number and we talked alot after hours and on weekends to try and sort this out.

He is a top notch guy who did everything by the book except he did not want to clearance his tunnel. As has been pointed out on this thread, some e-body guys run into the need to clearance the passenger side of the tunnel, foward of the shifter. We even provide the sheet metal and template to do this. Because mercman has not done this, he may very well have driveline angle issues and yes, that could contribute to harder shifting. It does not have anything to do with the fact that he cannot shift at or above 7500 rpm where he is trying to do so. The TKO just doesn't like rpm's that high and nothing that Keisler or Classic Mopar does to them, rectifies this.
Mercmans runout is well within the tolerances, so that is not an issue.

As was pointed out earlier, the TKO is an aftermarket only transmission. It never came in a production vehicle. It did come in the '95 Cobra R which was not a street legal vehicle and it was only in there for that limited run in that production year.
The T45 is a factory transmission that came in the Mustangs from 1996-2000. The T45 is completely different from the TKO in that it is a single rail shift linkage setup where the TKO is a multi-rail design.

DRAGULA.....The TKO is rated by Tremec to handle 500hp/500ft/lbs for the TKO-500 and 600hp/600ft/lbs for the TKO-600. We do not give this rating, Tremec does. We have several hemi owners running the TKO with no issues at all. As someone else states, more often than not, it is the direct result of installer error. There are way to many people running this transmission with no issues at all for this to be a Tremec problem. Some have even chimed in on this thread stating the same thing. By the way...thanks for calling me an idiot.

The bottom line is Mercman is a standup guy, who I bent over backwards trying to help out and for whatever reason, it just isn't working the way he expected. I/we cannot do anything about trying to shift at or above 7500rpm so I referred him the Pro-motion to see about modifying it to handle that kind of rpm. He obviously doesn't want to go that route and he is not willing to cut the floor to correct the driveline angles. We obviously cannot do much more without those issues being addressed.
I certainly feel bad about his situation and wish he could get it worked out but it looks like he is going back the 4 speed. Good luck.

I feel like the "bashing" that is going on here is un-justified but so be it. There are alot of satisified customers and those of you that have been in contact with me, know that I do everything in my power to correct your issues. Being called an idiot is just unfair and un-called for.

We tell EVERYONE what to expect from this conversion and I know for a fact that the sales guys tell ALL E-body owners of the possibility of having to cut. I sit in the same room as them and hear it all day every day. Whether the customer wants to hear it or not, I can't say but I know it is told to them.

If anyone out there still needs my help, please call or PM me and I will do whatever it takes to make your experience a positive one.

Richard
Tech Support

Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you! [Re: rj8806] #69501
06/17/08 12:52 PM
06/17/08 12:52 PM
East Tennessee
B
Burkenator Offline
enthusiast
Burkenator  Offline
enthusiast
B

East Tennessee
Any pictures of how much you have to cut for a car (e-body) that already has the 4-speed hump? Or was the above trans tunnel pics of a 4sp to 5sp conversion?

Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you! [Re: rj8806] #69502
06/17/08 02:09 PM
06/17/08 02:09 PM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
When are you guys gonna make a T-56 kit?
I'll cut my entire floor out of my E-body just to get 6 gears!

73 `Cuda
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: 70 E body tremec 5 speed...what they don't tell you [Re: lokalik] #69503
06/18/08 01:42 AM
06/18/08 01:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

has anyone here had experience with the pro 5.0 shifter and will the Pistol grip bolt on to it ?

is it worth the 200$

thanks.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6