NY usa
540challenger Offline
master
540challenger  Offline
master

NY usa
The driver sides is the left

The passenger sides is right.

If you can't remeber a cars go by left to right as you were sitting in it.

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: 540challenger] #68931
06/10/08 11:58 AM
06/10/08 11:58 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Not all the time...

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: OzHemi] #68932
06/10/08 01:26 PM
06/10/08 01:26 PM
NY usa
540challenger Offline
master
540challenger  Offline
master

NY usa
Quote:

Quote:

Not all the time...

wow those car just makes me I mean how would you get your food if you went in a drive thru. J/K Is one of those a mopar i spy

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: 540challenger] #68933
06/10/08 02:25 PM
06/10/08 02:25 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Those are all Oz Valiants...top one is my old VG coupe (sold a little while back) then my Aussie Charger, and bottom is my newest VG I just got in Oz and is on it's way here now...due in about a weekish actually.

Oh, and as for drive throughs..there is an In & Out Burger locally here I've been to in a bunch of the Oz cars, they have drive throughs on both sides of the place

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: OzHemi] #68934
06/11/08 09:14 AM
06/11/08 09:14 AM
Australia
C
charger RTSE Offline
charger RTSE  Offline
C

Australia
Right is right Left is left

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: charger RTSE] #68935
06/11/08 09:32 AM
06/11/08 09:32 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
So...back on topic...Sharpie, have you had time to check this out further? I'm interested to find out what the problem is.

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: burdar] #68936
06/11/08 10:27 AM
06/11/08 10:27 AM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
Quote:

So...back on topic...Sharpie, have you had time to check this out further? I'm interested to find out what the problem is.

I haven't had time to check it out yet. I've been going through my last finals week at UC Davis and have been studying hard. That said, I should have an update this evening; I am going to raise the front end again, mark the bars, and drive it around the block, like was suggested

Quote:

When you pulled the front end appart you didnt mix up the bars they are marked on the ends L left R right.

I didn't actually remove the torsion bars when I replaced the front end. The only thing I did to change the behavior of the torsion bars was to fully unload them by turning the adjusting bolts under the lower control arms counter-clockwise until the plates that hold the bolts in line were just barely loose. They never had the chance to unseat themselves as far as I know.

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: sharpie] #68937
06/12/08 12:29 AM
06/12/08 12:29 AM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
update:

okay, I did some sleuthing this afternoon and came up with some interesting results:

I jacked up the front end to get under the Demon, and when I set it down, it was back to its high altitude again, where it was before I drove it last. I jounced the vehicle again, and it only went down about halfway, and was sitting in the place I wanted it. Weird.

Anyway, I marked the torsion bars on the front and rear. In the front, I marked it at the retaining nut in the lower control arm and on the control arm right next to the mark on the nut. In the rear, I marked the crossmember and the corresponding place on the torsion bar cylindrical retainer with the internal hex in it.

I backed out of the driveway and my steering was great. I was able to stop and steer just fine. But halfway down the block again, it began to sag. It went back again to where it was before I had even jacked it up.

So back in the driveway, I got under the car to look at my marks, and they were all still lined up. Maybe I didn't put the marks in the right place?

Anyway, I was thinking about the toe-out/in comment as well, and measured the toe. When the driver's side wheel is straight, the passenger side wheel is probably 15-25* toed out, if that makes any difference. I also have probably 5-7* of negative camber, but only when the ride height is bottomed out (which it does when I drive it). I'd fix the alignment myself, but I can't find the procedure in my service manual, nor can I find a good simple article online.

So it looks like I'm driving the Demon across town (through traffic) with severe toe-out and camber to get it to the aligment shop

Last edited by sharpie; 06/12/08 12:31 AM.
Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: sharpie] #68938
06/12/08 01:07 PM
06/12/08 01:07 PM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: burdar] #68939
06/12/08 02:14 PM
06/12/08 02:14 PM
Arizona
68CoronetRT Offline
super stock
68CoronetRT  Offline
super stock

Arizona
Quote:

If they are not spinning in the holes then maybe its time for some new torsion bars.

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: 68CoronetRT] #68940
06/12/08 06:06 PM
06/12/08 06:06 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
I don't understand how you can keep tightening the adjusters? Aren't you running out of thread?

As stated earlier, the rear mount has to be broken.

Keep us posted, this just doesn't make sense.

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: BDW] #68941
06/12/08 06:40 PM
06/12/08 06:40 PM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
It doesn't make sense to be either, which is why I am asking

But to answer your question, I have the head of the adjusting bolt about level with the underside of the control arm. The problem is, the height level is equal to where it was when the bolt head was about two inches from the control arm undersurface.

Re: torsion bar issues? [Re: sharpie] #68942
06/12/08 07:24 PM
06/12/08 07:24 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
Well, you should have at least 2" more of adjustment. Crank it up and see what happens.

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) [Re: sharpie] #68943
06/12/08 09:13 PM
06/12/08 09:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is the tip of the adjusting bolt in the cup of the t-bar lever?

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) #68944
06/12/08 09:39 PM
06/12/08 09:39 PM
Texas, Dallas
G_T Offline
super stock
G_T  Offline
super stock

Texas, Dallas
Sharpie - take some close up pics of both sides of the front and back of the attachment points. It may be that the bar and where you marked are both turning within the frame. Are the marks still in alignment with the frame itself?

You should be running out of adjustment on the bars. Can you show us a pic of where it is at (the bolt going thru the cam).

Is it is doing this the same on both sides?

I can only think of a couple of reasons why this would happen:

1) Bars are spinning at the attachment points - either hex end is stripped/rounded, or attachment point is spinning in frame.

2) Bolts on cams are stripped and pushing out when you drive it. You crank it up, but drive it and it pushes the stud out of the cam. Repeat.

3) Alignment it out of wack pushing the front end down. If this is the case, you should be able to drive it and reverse and it should rise back to where you have it. Alternately, you should be able to jack the front of the car up under the K-frame and lower it again and it should go back to the original cranked up height.

4) Retaining clips are missing out the back of the rear attachment point - allowing the bar to back out and spin. I *seriously* doubt this is it. Bad things would happen.

5) Frame is rusted and the whold back piece is spinning/bending (doubtful).

6) Bars are completely shot/fatigued and won't hold their spring (where the bars ever heated or in a fire)? I would think if this was the case the bars would fail.

7) Something physically bent/jacked with the cams.

8) We are all on drugs.

1970 Charger - V10, 6spd, Alterkation, Street Lynx 4 Link, Moser Dana 60, Wilwood 14" disks, Forgeline 18" Wheels (Rear:335's), ISIS Multiplexing Wiring http://www.v10mopar.com 2012 Charger SRT8
Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) [Re: G_T] #68945
06/12/08 10:35 PM
06/12/08 10:35 PM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
Gonna take a LOT of pictures, and they'll be up tonight

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) [Re: sharpie] #68946
06/13/08 12:16 AM
06/13/08 12:16 AM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
Alright, here's some photos for you:

Driver's side t-bar rear mount (notice grease mark):

Passenger's side t-bar rear mount (grease mark again):

Passenger's side inside the hex:

As you can see, I am toed a bit out:

And negatively cambered a lot:

And sitting really low, too low in fact:

Here's the driver's side adjusting bolt height:

And the passenger's side:

And here's the passenger side hitting the cam:

I noticed something new today: I can lift each side up to the height I want it and it will literally stay there, until I drive it. There's no time lapse either, it won't fall after an hour or so. Only when I drive it. Or when I push down on the fender, then it goes down again to how you see it now.

Anything here strike anyone?

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) [Re: sharpie] #68947
06/13/08 01:23 PM
06/13/08 01:23 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
weird!!!

I think you need another set of hands(and eyes) Is there anyone from this site that is in you area? You need someone under the car as you lift up and down on the front end to see what is happening. Just don't have anyone hang under the car as you drive it around the block.

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) [Re: burdar] #68948
06/13/08 02:11 PM
06/13/08 02:11 PM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
There's a lot of people around, but I don't know if anyone has the time. I'll check around, I guess. This is way too weird though...

Re: torsion bar issues? (UPDATED) [Re: sharpie] #68949
06/13/08 04:17 PM
06/13/08 04:17 PM
SoCal
68HemiB Offline
master
68HemiB  Offline
master

SoCal
Quote:

I noticed something new today: I can lift each side up to the height I want it and it will literally stay there, until I drive it. There's no time lapse either, it won't fall after an hour or so. Only when I drive it. Or when I push down on the fender, then it goes down again to how you see it now.

In a former life, I was a front-end mechanic. Not that that exempts me from being a bulletin board blow-hard... I could be both at the same time. Consider (for a moment at least) my comments in light of the former, and not the latter.

Your observations and photos seem to put to rest the theory that the rear t-bar mounts are spinning in the frame.

I would suggest an approach on two fronts:

a. Unnecessary red herrings easily resolved.
b. What height your car "wants" to be at.

Unnecessary red herrings.

It is unlikely that whacky alignment settings are changing your car's ride height as you drive it. Nevertheless, you would be well-served to get the tires pointed somewhat sensibly, even if only to drive across town to the shop. Doing anything about caster is not on the table (no alignment mechanic pun intended), absent a gauge. Many people choose to eyeball camber - you might choose not to. However, there really isn't any excuse not to adjust your toe. You'll need some chalk or tire crayon, and a tape measure.

Measure and mark a point at a consistent "bump" in the thread groove on each tire (front and back) at the same height up from the floor. Measure the distance between the points at the back side of the tires and at the front. Using the tie rod sleeves, adjust it so that the reading at the front is about 1/8" less that the rear. If you are clever about the sleeve(s) being changed, you may get your steering wheel pointed better at the same time. Or maybe screw it up worse.

Do this not because it will change the height problem much [I don't hold out much hope]. Do it because it's fairly easy and the right thing to do.

At what height does your car "want" to be?

Normally, a car will return to where it "wants" to be fairly easily while parked in your driveway - you get some bouncing action up and down, and then let go. At first blush, it seems pretty straight-forward: the T-bar is wound to a certain point, and [if it stays there] will support the fixed weight of the nose of your car at a given height. Don't change the t-bar winding or the weight, and everything stays the same. Absent forces being exerted by the control arm bushings and the shocks, this should hold true in practice.

So, what about the shocks and bushings?

If the shocks are not funny, gas-charged units, or extremely old, bent things that are binding, I would have a hard time making a case that they are masking where your car "wants" to be. Are your shocks funny gas-charged units, or old & bent?

The textbook on front-end repair will advise you to leave the bushing loose until you get the car to it's correct ride height, and only then do you fully tighten the nut on the LCA pivot shaft and the UCA eccentrics. You stated that you worked on the front end... did you replace any bushings, or perhaps just tighten the bejesus out of the connections I just described while the arm(s) were at a funny angle? The torsion imparted by a bushing tightened at a nonsensical position should not be discounted. If any of this is a possibility, consider loosening things up a bit, messing with the t-bar adjustment some more, bouncing it statically, and then tightening them down again.

My gut feel is that you have not yet established the height at which your car "wants" to be, and have been overly conservative at cranking on the adjustment bolts. From your quote above, your car seems to be more willing to "stay" at a static height than it should be. This leads you to be making too small of adjustments when cranking them up. Maybe you even need another flat on the t-bars. Crank on those babies.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Being a college kid, I thought you might tolerate the more detailed response.

Down to just a blue car now.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3