05/05/10 01:37 AM
05/05/10 01:37 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
This is a tricky one for sure. I was told IF you have a rollbar then you have to have the harness. It is kinda dumb I guess to have a rollbar but only have a factory lap belt. Thats not going to keep you upper body from moving all around and your head from banging the bar. Thats the way I was told to take it but as said many tracks will see it different and I notice at T & T's around here the tech is not so tight. I put a 5 point harness in when I put my 63 together even though it only ran 11.60's at first. I actually wanted a harness with the 6 point bar for myself. Ron

Re: A "rulebook" question about safety harnesses. [Re: ProStDodge] #687812
05/05/10 02:02 AM
05/05/10 02:02 AM
toledo, ohio
plasticfantastic Offline
top fuel
plasticfantastic  Offline
top fuel

toledo, ohio
Quote:

Doug - you are correct there are some sections, particularly in stock/super stock class racing, which will over-ride or trump E.T regs and general regs. However in this case, there is no stipulation in driver restraint, or roll bar requiring a harness with the use of a roll bar or cage in a car which is not required to have a roll bar.

And yes everyone is invited to call NHRA with any questions you may have.

The information I posted is correct according to all sections of the 2010 rule book, and all current revisions. Since I have recently been added to the Div #3 Safety Certifications team and am doing tech on cars at divisional races, not just local tracks, I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the rule book.

Scott

NHRA/SFI Certified Tech here as well.

Never cared for working Divisionals, Nationals were ok... would rather race.
Maybe I'll see you at Norwalk?

Re: A "rulebook" question about safety harnesses. [Re: plasticfantastic] #687813
05/05/10 03:29 AM
05/05/10 03:29 AM
Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
Quote:

NHRA/SFI Certified Tech here as well.

Never cared for working Divisionals, Nationals were ok... would rather race.
Maybe I'll see you at Norwalk?

I have been a "silver" SFI tech for about 4 years (bronze for 4 before that). Since I am no longer announcing for ORP, I figured I would joined up with the divisional team to keep my certification and get out to a few more races.

Building a new car now, but won't be done this year. Maybe next year!

Hope to be at Norwalk, but if not I'm sure we'll see ya at Columbus Mopar Nats!

Scott

Re: A "rulebook" question about safety harnesses. [Re: Ron Silva] #687814
05/06/10 03:25 PM
05/06/10 03:25 PM
Georgia
66coronet Offline
super stock
66coronet  Offline
super stock

Georgia
Quote:

Boy, some of these TECh Guys are out there..... I have ALWAYS had an expired 5 way harness on my front Pass seat in my Demon and now the Valiant. I have NEVER had a TECH Guy even look at that seat much less the belt. And I have been a lot of places.

Why would they care?? Nobody can even RIDE there if your car is quicker than 13.99

Welcome to Atlanta Dragway......

I never had an issue at any of the other tracks in the southeast. Like I said earlier, Just keep these type things in mind as you go through tech at different tracks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2