poplar bluff mo.
T
toplescuda Offline
I Whine
toplescuda  Offline
I Whine
T

poplar bluff mo.
i wouldnt mind having a bs sheet for my 70 barracuda (or any other paper work for that matter) its got the paper from galen and been regester with the cuda convert site im the 3 rd owner and i know the names of the other 2 owners(2nd owner only had it bout 3 years) iv never looked under the seat but i think the covers have been replaced so...i would care if the sheet said in big letters on it that its a repo or not orignal just something kind of neat i have the orignal window sticker and showing who it was sold to
all the # match and have fender tag the build sheet is justa peice of neat paper that i can/will live without
would it make my car worth more prob not(bh27L0B) to me its just cool to have something that old surive all the years and stay with the car(for people that have them) anyway just rambling on carry on lol

1970 barracuda convert. 1 of 59
1970 pro street A.A.R. clone (panther pink)
1971 charger
2015 hellcat challenger. Redline red
2014 quad cab 4x4 ram 8 speed hemi
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: toplescuda] #681746
04/29/10 05:12 PM
04/29/10 05:12 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
The wording I see most in better than half the post's is either,"worth more" or "value".I guess that means it's all about the money. Like I said earlier,the car in my avitar never had a BCS,guess that makes it a worthless P.O.S.

And a little addition,car was finished 18yrs. ago.Still looks good,still runs good,gets about 1K a year and "never" once was concerned about not having a BCS.

Last edited by 62maxwgn; 04/30/10 09:20 AM.
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: 62maxwgn] #681747
04/29/10 05:30 PM
04/29/10 05:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The wording I see most in better than half the post's is either,"worth more" or "value".I guess that means it's all about the money. Like I said earlier,the car in my avitar never had a BS,guess that makes it a worthless P.O.S.

Make no mistake Bill, this thread subject IS ABSOLUTELY ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. As I have stated throughout this thread the BCS should have very little value, but SOME in the hobby have chosen to THINK it adds more than i personally think it is worth.

What do you care anyway, your going to be buryied in that car.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681748
04/29/10 07:16 PM
04/29/10 07:16 PM
Mid-Atlantic
S
Scatransit Offline
mopar
Scatransit  Offline
mopar
S

Mid-Atlantic
I don't think an original BS, or absence of, adds or subtracts to the value of an authentic car...but it certainly does boost its desireability...

How about this: 2 identical cars...survivors lets say...priced the same...one with, one without...both legit cars...Which one would you buy?

[oo]======[oo]
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Scatransit] #681749
04/29/10 07:36 PM
04/29/10 07:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I don't think an original BS, or absence of, adds or subtracts to the value of an authentic car...but it certainly does boost its desireability...

How about this: 2 identical cars...survivors lets say...priced the same...one with, one without...both legit cars...Which one would you buy?

Personally I would buy either without hesitation. Yes, the BCS would be a bonus but i would not assign any signifigant value to the one with the sheet.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681750
04/29/10 07:58 PM
04/29/10 07:58 PM
Massachussetts
R
RCKTMN Offline
enthusiast
RCKTMN  Offline
enthusiast
R

Massachussetts
Hi everyone,

I will add my opinion that it should only be done for someone who has their original BCS. And, I agree with an earlier poster about keeping track of the "replacement/display" versions in an easily verifiable manner. I would not personally consider a car to be worth less if it came with a 'new' BCS along with its original.
On a personal note, I am building my own dream car out of a '74 'Cuda that will end up appearing like a '71 while probably having either a modern 6.1 HEMI or a Viper V10. I would love to have an original appearing BCS with my information on it. This would include the original 1974 VIN#, and the proper codes of the options I include, with special codes (perhaps modern ones) for the engine and trans, and custom suspension/brake systems. I would like for a line across the top to read "Custom Built to Paul's dream", for example. Perhaps with a Disclaimer and Credit by the manufacturer. This would be strictly for shows as a novelty piece. I know that a lot of other members out there would like a quality piece like this for their displays at car shows.
I'm hoping that this approach might be considered, as well.

With respect to all,
Paul

1970 Barracuda Convertible
1970 Newport Convertible
1970 Satellite Convertible
1974 'Cuda shell - '71 conversion
1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass w/455
2003 RAM3500 CTD
2007 Caliber R/T AWD
2007 Magnum SRT-8
2016 Chrysler Town & Country
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Scatransit] #681751
04/30/10 01:14 AM
04/30/10 01:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The one I liked the best!

Besides everyone talking about "worth" and "value" the constant theme in this thread seems to be based on personal views and desires. I have classic cars that I have never driven. I get ridiculed and made fun of about it all the time! I constantly hear the proverbial, "They were meant to be driven! Use them for what they were built for!" As it relates to this Build Sheet subject matter, everyone should ask themselves one question. Why do so many assume that their interpretation of "Automobile 101", should be THE VIEW for everyone to follow? For illustration, lets use this point of view which is CONSTANTLY being preached on this forum: "These cars should be driven and used for what they were built and intended for."

Do the ones who preach that notion LITERALLY mean it?!? The immediate question that comes to my mind is....based on whose "use"? The guy that bought it for "work" transportation but also to have a little "fast fun" every now and then? Or the guy who bought it exclusively to drive to work but also used it as his Family vehicle? Or the person who bought it as a second car to use sparingly and only on the weekends? Or the woman (that is right...they liked them too) who used it to go shopping or take afternoon drives? Some people actually DID buy these cars just to sit in their garage and look Cool! I could go on an on but you get the point!

My question is for those who consistently preach that "you have to drive them" or "you can't do this or that with them"! Do you guys use your cars as your main mode of transportation to get back and forth to work? Do you take them out even when it rains or snows? Do you use them to go shopping or a drive across the country for your Vacation? I would bet NOT! The point is that there are 100 different reasons for the way people used their cars back in the day. Almost none of us look at these cars in the same light as did the original owners! It is completely closed minded and selfish for ANYONE to tell another person what they "should" or "shouldn't" feel based exclusively on THEIR personal beliefs. Not to stir up a can of worms but I wonder how many car owners from 1970 would tell the "Racing" guys today, "I can't believe you would butcher up a perfectly good car just to go racing! When I bought a "Hot Rod" we used them for going to the Drive In, tooling around town, going to the Burger joint with your buddies or parking with your Girlfriend at Lover's Lane." Isn't THAT what they were originally used for?!?

I didn't want to drastically change thoughts here but I wanted to point out that no one person has all the right answers for the material that has been "polled" thus far. "Diversity" is just as real of an issue as the issues are themselves!

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681752
04/30/10 06:56 AM
04/30/10 06:56 AM
Houston, TX
C
Crunchy_Frog Offline
Crunchy_Frog  Offline
C

Houston, TX
Dave,

I have said that I believe cars should be driven. I say it and believe it. That doesn't mean i think they should be driven every day, in rain and snow. I drive mine mainly on the weekends. Sometimes to and from work. One time i drove it to work and had to put it on a roll back to get it home, but that another story. I don't understand why anyone who collects classic would never drive them. I don't understand baseball card collections, comic book collections, coin collections, and stamp, collections, or quantum physcis. If you take enjoyment from just knowing you have a classic car and trailer it to shows... like others have said, it's your car, do with it as you wish. I won't knock you for that, but I may give you a hard time about it (all in good humor of course). A friend of mine once told me, "drive a new car, you'll turn heads for days, drive a classic car and you'll turn heads for years."

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Scatransit] #681753
04/30/10 09:58 AM
04/30/10 09:58 AM
Wisconsin
A
Aero426 Offline
I Live Here
Aero426  Offline
I Live Here
A

Wisconsin
Quote:

Difficult to answer. On the surface the car with the build sheet would win. However, other documentation including a continuous chain of ownership and documented history from new is worth quite a bit. Maybe you just like the "feel" of the car without the sheet, or the way it drives.

The build sheet is not the ONLY factor to consider when evaluating the legitimacy of a car. But it is very relevant, particularly in the more high end Mopars. With few exceptions, a high end car without an original build sheet probably gets some kind of a haircut price-wise compared to one that does.

Different marques of cars have different ways of evaulating the provenance of their cars. My Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II had no build sheet (most of them don't). Fortunately, we have Kevin Marti and his access to the Ford warranty database to tell us more than we need to know about the car. In the case of Mopars, since we don't have that information available, the build sheet becomes a more important component to us That said, I see no reason to throw another wrinkle into the process with reproduction sheets.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Aero426] #681754
04/30/10 11:42 AM
04/30/10 11:42 AM
NotRussia
2fast4yourBrain Offline
Whack top Dodger
2fast4yourBrain  Offline
Whack top Dodger

NotRussia
Build sheet is the ONLY proof of these valuable options:

- four-speed
- fresh air package
- color

These three items can make anywhere between $10k-$30k price diff than those cars w/o those options (compared to automatic-equipped cars for ex.).

other options can add between $5k-15k, like:

- PW
- spoilers
- stripes
- axle packages
- window louvres
- AC (debatable about its worth)
- fog lights/light packages

I just don't see the point of making an exact copy of the original if you have an original.

Put the original in the safety dep. box and make a photocopy for car shows.

Hobby is too fraught w/fraud and deceit.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: 2fast4yourBrain] #681755
04/30/10 11:59 AM
04/30/10 11:59 AM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Just to toss another "value" into the mix.....

I have sent out several original broadcast sheets to folks over the years. Some send a donation, usually between $5.00 & $50.00

Others send in items they have found to keep the wheel rolling.

Some do not even bother to say thank you & some do say thanks but do not reimburse me for postage.

So, the monetary value is negligible, but it sure does feel good.

Any known history about a car will help with the sale. Having an original broadcast sheet, literally a whole page on the car's history is a good thing.

Determining any monetary value is up to the seller & buyer.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: 2fast4yourBrain] #681756
04/30/10 12:12 PM
04/30/10 12:12 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

- four-speed
- fresh air package
- color

These three items can make anywhere between $10k-$30k price diff than those cars w/o those options (compared to automatic-equipped cars for ex.).

other options can add between $5k-15k, like:

- PW
- spoilers
- stripes
- axle packages
- window louvres
- AC (debatable about its worth)
- fog lights/light packages

I just don't see the point of making an exact copy of the original if you have an original.

Put the original in the safety dep. box and make a photocopy for car shows.

Hobby is too fraught w/fraud and deceit.

Actually it seem's to be more of a business anymore than it is a hobby.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: 62maxwgn] #681757
04/30/10 12:58 PM
04/30/10 12:58 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Bill, I don't know how many times I've said; "Want to ruin your hobby, make a living out of it". (Don't ask me how I know ).

MikeR

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: A12] #681758
04/30/10 07:47 PM
04/30/10 07:47 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I ask myself that everyday...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: A12] #681759
04/30/10 07:59 PM
04/30/10 07:59 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Quote:

Quote:

Bill, I don't know how many times I've said; "Want to ruin your hobby, make a living out of it". (Don't ask me how I know ).

MikeR

Ain't that the truth.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: A12] #681760
04/30/10 08:01 PM
04/30/10 08:01 PM
Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
YYZ Offline
master
YYZ  Offline
master

Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
Build sheets have been and will continue to be available to wrongdoers regardless of the opinions of board members.

IMHO I would rather see reproductions available publicly, with a system of checks/balances and transparency rather than leaving it to the Mopar underworld.

The BCS is one of many potential data points on a car. An important one, but not the only one.

If one is into Mopars for the monetary value, the most valuable cars will be the survivors with uninterrupted/unblemished histories, ownership and documentation. Followed closely by top-flight restored cars with similar provenance.

When these debates crop up, I am always astounded at the original "Gone in 60 Seconds". Filmed in 1973, the thieves were already moving numbers and transferring the build sheet from the U-code Challenger R/T stolen at the beginning of the film. The dark side has known about the numbers for a long time; wishing won't make it go away.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: YYZ] #681761
04/30/10 08:37 PM
04/30/10 08:37 PM
Columbia Station, Ohio
69RTSE Offline
pro stock
69RTSE  Offline
pro stock

Columbia Station, Ohio
Quote:

- four-speed
- fresh air package
- color

Actually, aren't these on the fender tag? The tag on my '69 Charger tells me what transmision, the color of the car, what color stripe, A/C, etc.

Here is a different perspective...let's say Chrysler had kept excellent records. With just a phone call to Chrysler and your VIN they could provide you with an exact duplicate of your build sheet. Wouldn't you want a nice, new, crisp one even if you had the crumbly old original? I would. From what it sounds like, that is the service Dave wants to provide, the only problem is there are no such records. Dave's solution to maintain the "credibilty" of duplicate sheets was to limit new copies to only those who have originals. (Unfortunately, most of us don't. )

I don't think that duplicates made under these guidelines would be a bad thing. I think the problem arises when someone else starts to make duplicates, and they don't have the same integrity as Dave and ECS. Now we can't tell legitamate "dupicates" from just plain bogus sheets. Unless ECS would have a number to call to verify whether a suspect sheet is an authorized copy or not, 99% of us wouldn't be able to tell if it's legit or bogus. The smart shopper would have to assume it's a bogus sheet, and so what benefit to the seller would that be? Whether Dave decides to make them or not, I sure others will. I'm sure they have been for years. Personally, if I wanted a duplicate, I'd rather have mine done by a reputible company like ECS seems to be...

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: 69RTSE] #681762
04/30/10 10:40 PM
04/30/10 10:40 PM
NotRussia
2fast4yourBrain Offline
Whack top Dodger
2fast4yourBrain  Offline
Whack top Dodger

NotRussia
Quote:

Quote:

- four-speed
- fresh air package
- color

Actually, aren't these on the fender tag? The tag on my '69 Charger tells me what transmision, the color of the car, what color stripe, A/C, etc.

Here is a different perspective...let's say Chrysler had kept excellent records. With just a phone call to Chrysler and your VIN they could provide you with an exact duplicate of your build sheet. Wouldn't you want a nice, new, crisp one even if you had the crumbly old original? I would. From what it sounds like, that is the service Dave wants to provide, the only problem is there are no such records. Dave's solution to maintain the "credibilty" of duplicate sheets was to limit new copies to only those who have originals. (Unfortunately, most of us don't. )

I don't think that duplicates made under these guidelines would be a bad thing. I think the problem arises when someone else starts to make duplicates, and they don't have the same integrity as Dave and ECS. Now we can't tell legitamate "dupicates" from just plain bogus sheets. Unless ECS would have a number to call to verify whether a suspect sheet is an authorized copy or not, 99% of us wouldn't be able to tell if it's legit or bogus. The smart shopper would have to assume it's a bogus sheet, and so what benefit to the seller would that be? Whether Dave decides to make them or not, I sure others will. I'm sure they have been for years. Personally, if I wanted a duplicate, I'd rather have mine done by a reputible company like ECS seems to be...

Tags are in no way valuable in authenticating options.

Those are repopped so easily and guys doing them will put anything you want on them.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: 2fast4yourBrain] #681763
04/30/10 11:32 PM
04/30/10 11:32 PM
Wisconsin
Stewpar Offline
master
Stewpar  Offline
master

Wisconsin
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- four-speed
- fresh air package
- color

Tags are in no way valuable in authenticating options.

Those are repopped so easily and guys doing them will put anything you want on them.

And what if they are original?

Admiration For Multiple Carburetor Vehicles...
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #681764
05/01/10 03:45 PM
05/01/10 03:45 PM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Dave,
I have the perfect solution to all this.
Why don't you just sell blank sheets from those rolls you already have.
It would be a great novelty item and people could do what they see fit with them.
Jules

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9