04/29/10 10:57 AM
04/29/10 10:57 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Biggest Issue I see with a perfect undectable from original repop broadcast sheets, same goes for data tags to btw.
Because, somewhere ,sometime somehow somebody is going to take said perfect reproduction and alter history for monetary gain. BTW, I also feel the same way about repop data tags and they don't carry nearly the significance the sheet does.
IF , you have the sheet at least you can get a resonable facsimile of a tag made,and in most cases with minimul effort it can still be distinguished from an original.

Theres too many things on the sheet that siginify individual characteristics of the car it's coded for. Such as - shocks , steering column style and color, hubcaps or rallyes, build date, VON #'s , the list goes on and on.

Take a lynch road car for example, outside of the basic options. There isn't much on the tag to go on as far as restoration to OE stock, These cars you NEED the sheet.

Believe me, I can truly understand the needs or wants to have a perfect repop sheet. And I truly believe Dave Waldon has no ill intentions, but that doesn't mean the next owner of said sheet has these same intentions.
But like a poster mentioned earlier.
What if, and I know IF is a very big word.
Lets say a vehicle owner has both the original AND a perfect reproduction. 10 years down the road the owner passes away and had already taken the forsight to seperate the 2 sheets. Yet his decendants can only find the repop. Any potential new owner questions the validity of said repop, value WILL be decreased as a result. Thats a fact.
Case in point, the 2 Hemi cuda verts already mentioned have a questionable history that will follow them till 'we all' return to dust.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: HEMICUDA] #681726
04/29/10 11:02 AM
04/29/10 11:02 AM
grand rapids mi. usa
P
Purestocker Offline
Purestocker  Offline
P

grand rapids mi. usa
There was more to the car than what is pictured.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Purestocker] #681727
04/29/10 11:24 AM
04/29/10 11:24 AM
Strathroy, Ontario
BS27R1B Offline
master
BS27R1B  Offline
master

Strathroy, Ontario
Quote:

There was more to the car than what is pictured.

Oh yes that is right!

It all started with a door with a VIN sticker found on another car.

Last edited by BS27R1B; 04/29/10 11:25 AM.

'.. it was long ago and it was far away, and it was so much better than it is today..'
Jim Steinman
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: gtx6970] #681728
04/29/10 01:47 PM
04/29/10 01:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Biggest Issue I see with a perfect undectable from original repop broadcast sheets, same goes for data tags to btw.
Because, somewhere ,sometime somehow somebody is going to take said perfect reproduction and alter history for monetary gain. BTW, I also feel the same way about repop data tags and they don't carry nearly the significance the sheet does.
IF , you have the sheet at least you can get a resonable facsimile of a tag made,and in most cases with minimul effort it can still be distinguished from an original.

Theres too many things on the sheet that siginify individual characteristics of the car it's coded for. Such as - shocks , steering column style and color, hubcaps or rallyes, build date, VON #'s , the list goes on and on.

Take a lynch road car for example, outside of the basic options. There isn't much on the tag to go on as far as restoration to OE stock, These cars you NEED the sheet.

Believe me, I can truly understand the needs or wants to have a perfect repop sheet. And I truly believe Dave Waldon has no ill intentions, but that doesn't mean the next owner of said sheet has these same intentions.
But like a poster mentioned earlier.
What if, and I know IF is a very big word.
Lets say a vehicle owner has both the original AND a perfect reproduction. 10 years down the road the owner passes away and had already taken the forsight to seperate the 2 sheets. Yet his decendants can only find the repop. Any potential new owner questions the validity of said repop, value WILL be decreased as a result. Thats a fact.
Case in point, the 2 Hemi cuda verts already mentioned have a questionable history that will follow them till 'we all' return to dust.

Bill,

As I often like to do I will play devils advocate here. People are not considering ALL the possibilities regarding reprinted,repo, copies or altered originals. So, in your example above think of this.
If in the same senerio the guy had only the ORIGINAL and put it away where his aires knew not where, it would be the same or worse store. There would then be nothing to prove what they wanted to prove with the sheet. If the guy had a color copy it would be the same story as well. What others have failed to hit upon here is that with color copies it gives you unlimited attempts to modify the info on the sheet. So if this is done and the original goes missing THEN what do you believe???

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681729
04/29/10 02:29 PM
04/29/10 02:29 PM
Mid-Atlantic
S
Scatransit Offline
mopar
Scatransit  Offline
mopar
S

Mid-Atlantic
In either of those cases, no BS is probably better than a copy/repro...

If I was selling a family heirloom and a potential buyer backed out because of a suspect document (even a legit copy) it would really suck...

[oo]======[oo]
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: gtx6970] #681730
04/29/10 02:37 PM
04/29/10 02:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Because, somewhere ,sometime somehow somebody is going to take said perfect reproduction and alter history for monetary gain....

I agree with your point (to a degree) Bill but can't your way of thinking or logic be applied to almost anything? That concept didn't stop the U.S. Treasury from issuing Money or Credit Cards or Blank Checks or.....?????!!!!! You "might" have a car accident today but should that stop you from getting in and driving your car? At what point do the honest guys (hopefully the majority) stop living their lives due to negative possibilities posed by the crooks?!?

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Scatransit] #681731
04/29/10 02:57 PM
04/29/10 02:57 PM
Wisconsin
Stewpar Offline
master
Stewpar  Offline
master

Wisconsin
I think there are a lot of greater issues out there in our hobby today that we should worry more about than reproduction broadcast sheets. What's the first thing we do when we want to validate a car? Look at the VIN! I agree with the other poster, that this is the true meaning of a vehicles worth. After your verify the vin, you look at body numbers (applicable by year). This is where you can open up a very large can of worms. I have personally witnessed very rare and expensive cars back halfed, body swapped, call it what you want due to rust, etc. What's worth more? A completely numbers matching '70 'Cuda 440-6bbl Convertible with a broadcast sheet, matching drivetrain, body numbers, fender tage etc. that has had a complete body swap or an original with no broadcast sheet? After purchasing the afforementioned car and finding out that it was a body swap, etc., now it seems that there is a completely different perceived value than prior to purchasing? I am of the opinion that when you replace a certain percentage of original sheet metal, that the original car ceases to exist and should live the rest of it's life with an asterisk!

We have individuals filing down id pads and stamping matching numbers. There are others selling titles along with the VIN plate and fender tags. There is already someone selling re-pop broadcast sheets that look like they are 40+ years old on Ebay, etc. etc. etc.

To me, this is the low man on the totem pole in my eyes. There are enough enthusiast's out there that will hopefully work together to keep us aware of the cars that have been altered, swapped, etc. I have had the pleasure to deal with a ton of really great people in our community, but like anything else in life, there are always a few bad eggs to stay away from. It is from these situations that we learn who we can trust and who to stay away from. I am in it for the love of these cars. I buy a car, restore it, and move on the the next one. The only ones that I feel are going to get hurt by this are top 10% dealing with Hemi's etc. and those who are flipping them.

Lastly, it is my opinion that the broadcast sheet is a nice piece to have and does ad intrinsic value. However, the lack of a broadcast sheet doesn't mean a car is worth any less as long as the rest of the important parts are there along with any other documentation that goes along with said vehicle. In the end it all comes down to "Caveat Emptor" Buyer Beware!

Admiration For Multiple Carburetor Vehicles...
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681732
04/29/10 03:08 PM
04/29/10 03:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Because, somewhere ,sometime somehow somebody is going to take said perfect reproduction and alter history for monetary gain....

I agree with your point (to a degree) Bill but can't your way of thinking or logic be applied to almost anything? That concept didn't stop the U.S. Treasury from issuing Money or Credit Cards or Blank Checks or.....?????!!!!! You "might" have a car accident today but should that stop you from getting in and driving your car? At what point do the honest guys (hopefully the majority) stop living their lives due to negative possibilities posed by the crooks?!?

Again, along with this, remember that there are people out there that have an original 383/440 car with the original BCS that have or can be altered to reflect a Hemi car or just a switch to a 4 speed from auto OR add options. An ORIGINAL BCS doesn't mean it has not been altered.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: HEMICUDA] #681733
04/29/10 03:10 PM
04/29/10 03:10 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
must be a complete idiot for having a trusting attitude towards people. Someone please tell me how a perfect copy of a piece of paper that already exists is in anyway dishonest or will hurt anything? Please tell me, I can't see it. Wait a minute, I think I got it, some are questioning the integrity and morality of those that MIGHT to it. I see, what a moron I am, I don't think of people that way as being dishonest until they prove otherwise. An honest person generally trust people, a dishonest person would question the intentions of others right out of the box.

What a strange concept thinking that people are otherwise honest and law abiding, instead of assujming and fearing they are thieves and scroundrels and out to cheat everyone. I cant hide in my house everyday fearing others and what they might do. There will always be people in life who will find some way to beat the syetem. Monetary, food stamp, or whatever, some people will steal and defraud, but we dont stop living in our society out of fear of the few out there.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Stewpar] #681734
04/29/10 03:20 PM
04/29/10 03:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I think there are a lot of greater issues out there in our hobby today that we should worry more about than reproduction broadcast sheets. What's the first thing we do when we want to validate a car? Look at the VIN! I agree with the other poster, that this is the true meaning of a vehicles worth. After your verify the vin, you look at body numbers (applicable by year). This is where you can open up a very large can of worms. I have personally witnessed very rare and expensive cars back halfed, body swapped, call it what you want due to rust, etc. What's worth more? A completely numbers matching '70 'Cuda 440-6bbl Convertible with a broadcast sheet, matching drivetrain, body numbers, fender tage etc. that has had a complete body swap or an original with no broadcast sheet? After purchasing the afforementioned car and finding out that it was a body swap, etc., now it seems that there is a completely different perceived value than prior to purchasing? I am of the opinion that when you replace a certain percentage of original sheet metal, that the original car ceases to exist and should live the rest of it's life with an asterisk!

We have individuals filing down id pads and stamping matching numbers. There are others selling titles along with the VIN plate and fender tags. There is already someone selling re-pop broadcast sheets that look like they are 40+ years old on Ebay, etc. etc. etc.

To me, this is the low man on the totem pole in my eyes. There are enough enthusiast's out there that will hopefully work together to keep us aware of the cars that have been altered, swapped, etc. I have had the pleasure to deal with a ton of really great people in our community, but like anything else in life, there are always a few bad eggs to stay away from. It is from these situations that we learn who we can trust and who to stay away from. I am in it for the love of these cars. I buy a car, restore it, and move on the the next one. The only ones that I feel are going to get hurt by this are top 10% dealing with Hemi's etc. and those who are flipping them.

Lastly, it is my opinion that the broadcast sheet is a nice piece to have and does ad intrinsic value. However, the lack of a broadcast sheet doesn't mean a car is worth any less as long as the rest of the important parts are there along with any other documentation that goes along with said vehicle. In the end it all comes down to "Caveat Emptor" Buyer Beware

!

I am only responding to the bolded areas of your posts as the rest of it has to do with the rebody debate which has been beat to death, and i don't want to see this thread side tracked.

Of course as from my previous post I agree with this.

Yes, there is MUCH more to be concerned about when looking to purchase one of these old cars and the BCS should be one of the last considerations.

How many people will ignor buying a car because it has no sheet?

How many people will not buy an L.A. built car that the vast majority of them had no sheet?

Is this fair to slight a car for not having something that the factory never intentionally ment to leave in the car in the first place?

Regarding the valuation of a BCS how do you determine if it is an ADDED value if it has one vs. a DEDUCTION if it doesn't have one?

To me the simple answer to the above questions is ELIMINATE the value of it completely and let the V.I.N. and known factory indicators of the individual car speak for themselves.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681735
04/29/10 03:24 PM
04/29/10 03:24 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

What's the first thing we do when we want to validate a car? Look at the VIN! I agree with the other poster, that this is the true meaning of a vehicles worth.

The first thing? Maybe so, but it's just the beginning. The next thing you'd need to do is determine if it's the original VIN tag or not. Even then all the VIN tag will tell you are the basics, Model-Engine-Plant-Model Year- Sequence Number, that's it!

It tells you NOTHING about the other options that the car originally had, not even the most basic options like transmission or body color, and sometimes a single option can drastically change the level of interest/desirability/value, etc. that the car might garner.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681736
04/29/10 03:31 PM
04/29/10 03:31 PM
Wisconsin
A
Aero426 Offline
I Live Here
Aero426  Offline
I Live Here
A

Wisconsin
Quote:

Quote:

One thing that really needs to be considered as a custodian of these cars is to exercise some forward thinking, and to consider some of the unintended consequences of producing undetectable duplicate sheets. There are a fair number of folks here who have expressed concern about the perfect reproductions that you are capable of. In the Mopar world, build sheets are a Pandoras Box that should remain untouched.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #681737
04/29/10 03:44 PM
04/29/10 03:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

What's the first thing we do when we want to validate a car? Look at the VIN! I agree with the other poster, that this is the true meaning of a vehicles worth.

The first thing? Maybe so, but it's just the beginning. The next thing you'd need to do is determine if it's the original VIN tag or not. Even then all the VIN tag will tell you are the basics, Model-Engine-Plant-Model Year- Sequence Number, that's it!

It tells you NOTHING about the other options that the car originally had, not even the most basic options like transmission or body color, and sometimes a single option can drastically change the level of interest/desirability/value, etc. that the car might garner.

I agree with much of this. However regarding the V.I.N. plate being REAL, for me, if it passes DMVs inspection or is not visably suspect or undectable as compared to others that is good enough for me. Remember, it is the ONLY thing that carries any FEDERAL PENALTIES for tampering with. You can't say that about a fender tag, BCS or body ID numbers for that matter. I refer you back to my original post in this thread on page 2 that says:

4. The majority of the members on Moparts that think the BS is so important don't even understand how much of it is specific to THAT particular car. Example, lets use a 1969 Charger R/T. It came with either a 440 or a Hemi, which is coded in the V.I.N. Other items that are specific to THIS particular car that will be different from any other 1969 Charger R/T on the BS are the specific options that were ordered. The Hemi engine triggered certain items over the 440 and were reflected on the BS, but these very same items are identifable on the subject car by simply reseaching GGs white books which are basically just a cumulative source of info gathered from parts books and sales codes so what do you really need a BS for? Sure there is a VON and a sequence number on it and if the fender tag is missing you won't know these thing, but why do we really care? Why do we care what position it came down the line vs. any other car? We know that the SPD portion of the VON is just a GUESS as to when it was actually made so why do we care if we know the true SPD given by the factory. If it is really important to someone they can research registries for their car and compare V.I.N.S/VONS of other cars assembled at the same plant to determine just as accurate a time period. My point is that there is VERY LITTLE that the BS tells us that we can't figure out based on what we already know from the V.I.N. info that really effects the value of the car or can't be figure out from scrutinizing the particular car. Yes, there are some exceptions for some models/years regarding options like a shaker hood for value and some codes that are effected by things like axle packages but these codes are also easy enought to determine what triggers them on a specific car.

5. I have always said, PUT YOUR FAITH IN THE V.I.N. which many have poo pooed. They claim that it too can be reproduced or changed. Yes, that is true, but it is the ONE thing that carries HEAVY FEDERAL PENALTIES for doing so. The ONLY legal identifier for an old auto is the V.I.N. plate and it's matching title. The title is easily obtained but the V.I.N. plate is an entirely different item. Mopar owners of these old car are lucky that the V.I.N. spells out the model and engine that account for 90% of the value (or potential value) of thes old cars. For the most part the trans. and the color combo (which is a matter of taste) are the only things that really make any kind of economic sense regarding the value of most specific cars. Why? because the cost of adding an option to a car is outweighed by the cost of purchasing and installing it, so there is no economic advantage, only something someone would do for their own enjoyment.

To ME, the bottom line is that for MOPARS the broadcast sheet does not carry NEARLY the weight that it does for some other makes that don't have the luxury of a model and engine identifing V.I.N.
WAY TOO MUCH value is given to a broadcast sheet.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #681738
04/29/10 03:47 PM
04/29/10 03:47 PM
Wisconsin
Stewpar Offline
master
Stewpar  Offline
master

Wisconsin
Quote:

Quote:

I completely agree with you, the VIN is just the start. It will tell us how rare the car is and we go from there. Is it numbers matching? Is the fender tag present? These alone are enough to set it's rarity/value. The broadcast sheet will further separate the car, but at that point it's only semantics IMHO.

Last edited by Stewpar; 04/29/10 03:49 PM.

Admiration For Multiple Carburetor Vehicles...
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: gomangoRTSE] #681739
04/29/10 03:54 PM
04/29/10 03:54 PM
N.E.Ohio
P
pacifica Offline
mopar
pacifica  Offline
mopar
P

N.E.Ohio
I have read this thread and the previous as well.
I originally did not think repop b/sheets were a good idea.
However, it seems to me that we all have the freedom to restore/rebuild/rebody/repaint/customize these cars as we all see fit.
Like DAVE W has mentioned previously, just because it is "public info" now that dead nuts b/sheets can be done, now it is a problem?? Nothing has changed other than now "we know".
Come on, like it has all been good up till now?

If Dave W or anyone else broke the code then they should "reap the rewards" [if there are any]

Based on all the thinking as I understand it, the only cars worth anything are the ones that are untouched originals anyways. All the rest are just recreations to one degree or another.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Stewpar] #681740
04/29/10 04:02 PM
04/29/10 04:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I completely agree with you, the VIN is just the start. It will tell us how rare the car is and we go from there. Is it numbers matching? Is the fender tag present? These alone are enough to set it's rarity/value. The broadcast sheet will further separate the car, but at that point it's only semantics IMHO.

To me the V.I.N. is the beginning AND the end.

We all know that there are undetectable FT and BCS out there that did NOT come with the car so to me, it is a matter of believing in the one item that is enforced by FEDERAL LAW. Sure, there are some phoney V.I.N. tags out there, but compared to repo FTs it is a miniscle amount and that is only because there is a FEDERAL LAW against it.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #681741
04/29/10 04:03 PM
04/29/10 04:03 PM
grand rapids mi. usa
P
Purestocker Offline
Purestocker  Offline
P

grand rapids mi. usa
Quote:

Quote:

I am with you Scott, I found a 69 HEMI road runner in a cow pasture years ago. it had the vin tag, but the under hood tag had bean removed, the drive train was ALL missing, along with the hood and K-member and interior, I could see the cars original color and it had a shifter on the column, but it was very hard for me anyway to justify purchasing the car with little to go on as far as how the car was optioned, a short time later the owner found the under hood tag, I bought the car and now it is being restored, with the price of a restoration these day's it would be very hard to justify buying all of the parts needed to save this car, my point is the vin told me what the basic car was, but as Scott pointed out, It would be hard to tell everything the car was originally without the tag. I know a Hemi car changes the mindset a bit because there is more potential money in the end if a person was ever to sell it, but any car that you want to truly restore would need more than just the vin IMO. as far as the build sheet goes. I think copies should be made for 50 cents on a copy machine, Rich

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: pacifica] #681742
04/29/10 04:07 PM
04/29/10 04:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I have read this thread and the previous as well.
I originally did not think repop b/sheets were a good idea.
However, it seems to me that we all have the freedom to restore/rebuild/rebody/repaint/customize these cars as we all see fit.
Like DAVE W has mentioned previously, just because it is "public info" now that dead nuts b/sheets can be done, now it is a problem?? Nothing has changed other than now "we know".
Come on, like it has all been good up till now?

If Dave W or anyone else broke the code then they should "reap the rewards" [if there are any]

Based on all the thinking as I understand it, the only cars worth anything are the ones that are untouched originals anyways. All the rest are just recreations to one degree or another.

That is probably one of the best thought out statements of this entire thread.

Regardless of what a person STARTS with, once it is restored there is no REAL way to tell what "liberities" someone has taken in light of what we know is out there to support any changes that could be made.

To me, the above statement says it all, there are restored cars and there are originals and really nothing in bewtween.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Purestocker] #681743
04/29/10 04:19 PM
04/29/10 04:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am with you Scott, I found a 69 HEMI road runner in a cow pasture years ago. it had the vin tag, but the under hood tag had bean removed, the drive train was ALL missing, along with the hood and K-member and interior, I could see the cars original color and it had a shifter on the column, but it was very hard for me anyway to justify purchasing the car with little to go on as far as how the car was optioned, a short time later the owner found the under hood tag, I bought the car and now it is being restored, with the price of a restoration these day's it would be very hard to justify buying all of the parts needed to save this car, my point is the vin told me what the basic car was, but as Scott pointed out, It would be hard to tell everything the car was originally without the tag. I know a Hemi car changes the mindset a bit because there is more potential money in the end if a person was ever to sell it, but any car that you want to truly restore would need more than just the vin IMO. as far as the build sheet goes. I think copies should be made for 50 cents on a copy machine, Rich

Your example above is a PERFECT example of what i have been saying.

You knew from the V.I.N. and the inspection of the car that it was a Hemi column automatic which accounts for 90% or more of the cars value or potential value. The fender tag and broadcast sheet will tell you what options it had but again, those options if not present that have to be purchased and added by you or a dealer when it was new cost more than they add to the value of the car. Some people want them some don't. They are all bolt on items anyway so what is the big deal? If you can't PROVE they were born on the car remove them.

I would have NEVER passed on purchasing that car based on it not having the fender tag as you described it. Was it a Lynch Rd. Built car? If so, the FT was going to have very little info on it anyway.

People often loose sight of the big picture getting caught up in the details.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Sssnake383] #681744
04/29/10 04:21 PM
04/29/10 04:21 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
Well if nothing else is certain. The opposing views on the topic are split right down the the middle. 140 votes and 6 votes seperate it. I feel this is an issue that divides us all right down the middle. No clear "mindset" either way, and no solid majority. I imagine we could debate this for months and the members, (or members of this website) would still be split.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9