North Central Florida
E
eightlitermopar Offline OP
top fuel
eightlitermopar  Offline OP
top fuel
E

North Central Florida
I posted a while ago about my leaking sending unit in my 69 coronet.

Well, the weather broke finally so I got to work on it today

the problem was not with the sender, but rather the inside "lip" which the rubber gasket mates to when applied. Somehow the lower part of the lip has been warped or bent in so there is little or no contact to the rubber ring.

I had an extra ring, so I doubled up. After doing this (which was tricky and required a lot of pushing) I sealed off the hoses and tipped the tank up. Still a small slow leak from around the bottom, which I suspected. Improvement, but not sealed.

I decided I can put a little sealant on the inside lip, replace the two gaskets and crank the ring back into place.

The two sealers I am looking at is a fuel tank sealer Napa # 7651565

or Liquid metal Napa # 7651139

the fuel tank sealer is permanent once applied, however the liquid metal is sandable, drillable, etc.

Any thoughts? the last thing I need is to jack up my tank now that I almost have it fixed. This is why I ask the opinion of the all knowing moparts forum

thanks!!

eight

Mopar or no car
Re: Leaking tank update! now what?.... [Re: eightlitermopar] #661115
04/05/10 09:18 AM
04/05/10 09:18 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
yeah you gotta get that inner lip flat or as you know it will never seal.I'd (re)use the oe lock ring/oe gasket but with you having already doubled up I'm hoping that you can still cinch it tight as you tap the lock ring around. I'd use the liquid metal generously on the flat 1st to level it & let it set up hard but 1st w some pliers w some padding on the serrations get the lip back as flat as possible. You normally dont use gasket sealer on the flat gasket as it is wide and there is no real pressure but I think you MAY have to find/use a gasoline resistant type to take care of this

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Leaking tank update! now what?.... [Re: RapidRobert] #661116
04/05/10 12:06 PM
04/05/10 12:06 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
I would try to avoid using the sealer if possible. The last thing you want is to goop it up with sealer and have it still leak. But if you can't get it to seal without it, then go for it.