Gilbert, AZ
A
Aspen7695 Offline
super stock
Aspen7695  Offline
super stock
A

Gilbert, AZ
I was at the track and saw the accident. A friend was on one of the first ambulances to arrive and he said she died instatly. As the Safety Safari arrived on scene they went to the car first, and then within seconds some of them jumped the wall and went to help the people in the pits.

I saw the tire come off the car and watched it jump over the wall and bounce about 20-25 feet in the air before it hit the first vehicle.

They started racing again after the rain stopped. Pro Stock only made one round because it was getting cold and they decided it was not safe for them to run. That was a good decision especially after Vinnie had his Pro Stocker wind up on its roof yesterday late in the afternoon. A short time later two Super Gassers lost control at the same spot where Vinnie lost it.

As a whole this was a very lousy weekend. The accidents and rain were a real downer.

Raul

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Steve1118] #619838
02/22/10 12:05 AM
02/22/10 12:05 AM
yarnell,az
M
mopacltd Offline
pro stock
mopacltd  Offline
pro stock
M

yarnell,az
Why was my original post deleted?

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: mopacltd] #619839
02/22/10 12:09 AM
02/22/10 12:09 AM
Utah
dragnduster Offline
enthusiast
dragnduster  Offline
enthusiast

Utah
Quote:

I don't think it was deleted, I just looked at it. It is on page 3 right now.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: mopacltd] #619840
02/22/10 12:11 AM
Tennessee
727builder Offline
super stock
727builder  Offline
super stock

Tennessee
Sad day indeed. Prayers to her family
Guess Nhra has to have a huddle with all of their lawyers before they post anything about a death of a spectator on nhra.com?

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: mopacltd] #619841
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
People have been killed at race tracks since racing began, I really don't think slowing them down would have any major impact, accidents that CAN happen WILL happen. Short of shielding the fans from the cars entirely I don't see any way to prevent these types of things from happening. Either way it's very sad for the victims.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: jamesc] #619842
02/22/10 12:13 AM
02/22/10 12:13 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

i don't think the average fan has any idea of just how violent these TF cars are, participants generally understand and accept the risks involved. TF has been the premiere drag racing class and in principle limiting them just doesn't seem right. that said they really should put some severe restrictions on the class. as mentioned single mag, fuel pump/blower size etc. i don't know if they're still using the rev limiter but for those engines that's a bad idea. i'm sure a lot of people would object but personally i believe overall it would be better for the sport as a whole. the costs associated with TF have escalated to the point it's severely hurting the class. limiting the class would provide larger fields, greater safety and they would still put on a good show, maybe even go back to 1320. i don't know what happened but it seems they've had trouble over the years with cars shucking tires/wheels and having one of those monstrous things flying around something like this was bound to happen. i know they made changes to the wheels but maybe they're still not strong enough. i doubt fences are the answer even if they limit the class parts could still easily clear any reasonable fence. they should make changes to reduce the potential for cars shucking parts in the first place. it's a shame but it's time to really tighten down on the output of these cars...imho it would do more good than harm.

Well....I was trying to keep my mouth shut....but that's hard for me. The NHRA has turned into the organization everyone loves to hate. Esspecially those like me who are members. But from a small piece of the show like me, it seems they just want to hang around and collect money. Guys like Force, Medlen and Head do the leg work and spend the money for the NHRA, when it comes to safety. And that just names a few. I still can't figure out why the sportsman racer is the one being forced to take classes like the new one for oil and hazardous waste disposal before being able to compete in a national event. When the economy dips, they charge the sportsman, and at the same time cut the pay of their employees. Just a guess, but I'd bet Compton and Light didn't. So if they limit the fuel cars (blower size, single mag, fuel pumps etc) will that insure there will never be another terrible accident at a drag race? Hell no, but it would get us back to drag racing at 1320ft and IMO is needed for that, if nothing else. And they need to find their collective wallets instead of expecting people like Wilkerson to do it for them for nothing. They always try to treat the symptom instead of fixing the sickness, or the line of least resistance. The bottom line is, until the upper managment are thrown out on their ears, things will remain the same. I could go on for days, so I'll stop with that, because I still love this stupid sport.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: dragnduster] #619843
02/22/10 12:15 AM
02/22/10 12:15 AM
yarnell,az
M
mopacltd Offline
pro stock
mopacltd  Offline
pro stock
M

yarnell,az
I was asking about my first post on this thread.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: mopacltd] #619844
02/22/10 12:27 AM
02/22/10 12:27 AM
AZ
F
FM370RR Offline
mopar addict
FM370RR  Offline
mopar addict
F

AZ
unfortunatly in my opinion it was just a freak accident.the stands and other areas are aways from the racing surface.prayers go out to the family.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: FM370RR] #619845
02/22/10 12:54 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Tragic day for sure. Not a good weekend at all for the NHRA. Seems with two Pro Stockers upside down and two Super Gas cars in the wall along with a few TD guys not being able to make it down
the track that they are sure missing something. I seem to recall this being an issue at maybe the Z Max race last year as well. Something about the track conditions for the fuel guys being way wrong for the rest of us. hmmm.

Well I see they have moved the remainder of Pro Stock elimiations to the Gators, to be run during time trials there. Seems the Pro Stock guys said either move it or we will not run.

I also see they will not run the Sportsman eliminations from this race til next Friday during what was to be the Div 7 opener. I was planning on being in Phoenix on Thursday to get a few shots at the track during the scheduled T&T as we have not run this car there before and need the data. Now it is looking like IF I go to the Divisional I maybe not even get to run the track til Saturday and at best will get two shots before we race. Of course with rain in the forecast next Saturday that may be wishful thinking. I am thinking maybe I need to reconsider my plans. Long haul for nothing really.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: camastomcat] #619846
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

I could go on for days, so I'll stop with that, because I still love this stupid sport.

Truer words were never spoken!!

Everyone I've talked to on the scene knew the injured woman was dead, unfortunately. But to pronounce that at the scene would have meant a stoppage of the event, and an official police investigation on the grounds, so she had to be whisked away to be pronounced at the hospital and the show could go on. It's a sickening reality, but it's standard protocol for any large sporting or public event in this country.

Steve 1118 I think you are overcenter on many of your NHRA comments, but I agree 100 percent with the Idea that it's time to limit pump/mag/blowers in the fuel classes.

I think fences are a bad idea, I dont want to see a blow-over getting entangled in a fence...but the sport changes constantly so we have to look at every option...

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Al_Alguire] #619847
02/22/10 12:59 AM
02/22/10 12:59 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

Well I see they ahve moved the remainder of Pro Stock elimiations to the Gators, to be run during time trials there. I also see they will not run the Sportman eliminations from this race til next Friday during what was to be the Div 7 opener. I was planning on being in Phoenix on Thursday to get a few shots at the track during the scheduled T&T as we have not run this car there before and need the data. Now it is looking like IF I go to the Divisional I maybe not even get to run the track til Saturday and at best will get two shots before we race. Of course with rain in the forecast next Saturday that may be wishful thinking. I am thinking maybe I need to reconsider my plans. Long haul for nothing really.

Seriously Al,
I'd reccomend skipping it. It's going to be mess, and I can guarantee you right now the bulk of eliminations for the Divisional will end up on Monday!! From where you live, I'd consider a couple of D-6 races later in the season...

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: MoparBilly] #619848
02/22/10 01:14 AM
02/22/10 01:14 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Billy, I already was planning on D6, Boise or Medford, maybe now I will do both and throw Seattle in the mix too. Was already gonna skip Tucson to far from here, to close together. Besides i will have more fun at the MATS. Now with this deal looks like I will be baggin Phoenix as well. Oh well maybe next year.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Steve1118] #619849
02/22/10 01:32 AM
02/22/10 01:32 AM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Between a rock & a hard place
Quote:

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but it's time to slow those fuel cars down. The accident rate in the past several years has been very high....the last period I remember being like this was the 67-69 period when all the cars were being sawed in half by slider clutches.

It seems to me that the sport, professionally, is at a crossroads. NASCAR had the same decision to make back around 1970 or so when the winged cars were running speeds actually faster than what they run today.

My way of thinking is that those cars are so powerful, so violent, and so quick that it is almost impossible to react if something goes wrong. The driver just belts himself in and goes for the ride.

They can be slowed down without sacrificing the show. Smaller blowers, single mags, and a limit on fuel pump size would be a good place to start.

Instead, my fear is that NHRA will make some sweeping rule change, applying some new rule to everyone from TF to the regular bracket guy to spend several hundred dollars on the latest trick from some sponsor that just happens to post some contingency money. They will do this rather than make some changes in the way the fuel classes are run, lest they tick off some big money sponsor or Fuel owner.

Did you hear Greg Anderson's comments regarding the Pro Stockers? What were they doing running when the track was in that shape? NHRA hosts Full Throttle events one on top of the other, no break, no latitude to change the schedule to make things right. It is all about TV, and the "show must go on".

I am sorry for my cynicism, but NHRA has basically lost credibility to me, and has for several years. I remember when the motto was "dedicated to safety". I really don't like feeling this way about the grandfather of drag racing organizations. But, I do.

The more I see what is going on, the more I continue to love Nostalgia racing. Give me my Nostalgia Super Stocks any day.

Steve, well said. I agree, single mags, pumps and slow the blowers down. They could still have a 4.80-.90/300 QUARTER MILE show and be alot safer than they are now. You're also dead on about NASCAR; those 3500+ lb cars simply weren't designed to run 200 mph and they took the steps NHRA needs to. I think they are still "dedicated to safety", but the dog is out of the yard and NOW they are trying to "fix the fence".

A sad day (again) for motorsports. I wish the best possible for all involved.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: MoparBilly] #619850
02/22/10 02:25 AM
02/22/10 02:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It happens at small circle tracks more often than you would think. Just a few years back a young girl was killed at the local 81 Speedway when a tire went into the stands.

Accidents happen.

Re: accident at Phoenix? #619851
02/22/10 03:50 AM
02/22/10 03:50 AM
Affton MO
Q
qwkmopardan Offline
super stock
qwkmopardan  Offline
super stock
Q

Affton MO
Terrible indeed. Anytime I have seen wheel studs sheered off it was because the wheels were not torqued properly, retorqued or checked once in a while in the case of us bracket racers that make a whole season on a set of tires. I know they change the tires on a TF car quite often and humans do overlook things from time to time. This accident happened early in the run and had nothing do do with high speeds so slowing the cars down in this case would have not solved anything. I have seen 12 sec street cars send wheels flying that could just as easily killed someone, maybe not as far away. Gary Bagshaw wrecked and debree killed a couple people in the stands at Gateway many years ago and IIRC was only a high 9 sec car. Hate me if you will for being different than the majority on this post, but the top fuel class is pretty much unlimited and the goal is to make it as quick and fast as posible and that is what the fans show up to see. Slowing them down would kill spectator count. The drivers and fans know of the dangers. Freak accidents will allways happen no matter how much is done to prevent them.

Also ESPN anounced the completion of this race tomorow including resuming with 2nd rnd of Pro Stock. If they dont complete the Pro stock race in Phoenix the fans should be getting a refund on there high $$$$ tickets.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: qwkmopardan] #619852
02/22/10 04:41 AM
02/22/10 04:41 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Billy D was there and said the tire went right through where we always pit.

Glad I wasn't there now.

Prayers for the family.

RIP to the innocent woman..

Chris..

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Al_Alguire] #619853
02/22/10 04:49 AM
02/22/10 04:49 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Billy, I already was planning on D6, Boise or Medford, maybe now I will do both and throw Seattle in the mix too. Was already gonna skip Tucson to far from here, to close together. Besides i will have more fun at the MATS. Now with this deal looks like I will be baggin Phoenix as well. Oh well maybe next year.

Al..

I was planning on testing on Thursday, then making a decision on the race.

Billy D said a S/ST Mustang crashed a pair behind Jeff Jackson. Only 2 pair ran first round, then they stopped them for the show.. Luckily..

Then the Pro Stockers revolted together and said they refused to run. They basically told NHRA to DQ all of them.. Good for them.. Way to stick together.

Funny thing about Firebird is that the Fuelers seem to get down the track there fairly well, but real cars have a big problem..

BTW my front end paint was matched so badly, I would have rather had primer.. Man am I steamed about it.. Don't know if I'll have time to fix it..

Chris..

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: dragnduster] #619854
02/22/10 05:38 AM
02/22/10 05:38 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think it was deleted, I just looked at it. It is on page 3 right now.

Page 3 ? ... your post here is on "page 1.5" !!

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: dOrk !] #619855
02/22/10 07:17 AM
02/22/10 07:17 AM
nielsville, minn.
Q
quickd100 Offline
master
quickd100  Offline
master
Q

nielsville, minn.
I don't believe slowing down the fastest class in drag racing is the answer. My prayers go out to the family of the lady killed but accidents happen. I do believe though that the track should have been fixed before the event. But the bad spot down track had nothing to do with the events that lead to the death of the spectator. With the speeds that are being posted there should be a complete track inspection enough time before a scheduled event to repair any deficiencies. Dave

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Quicktree] #619856
02/22/10 08:42 AM
02/22/10 08:42 AM
Backwater, PA
B
bwdst6 Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
bwdst6  Offline
Bob George Racing #1 Fan
B

Backwater, PA
Quote:

how tall would you make the fence? that tire was 20' up in the air. as sad as it is being around racing is dangerous and not a lot you can do to prevent an accident like that.

Stronger and more numerous wheel studs!

Last edited by bwdst6; 02/22/10 08:44 AM.

This post is available in double vision where drunk.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10