Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Oh yeah I fgorgot to mention I would rather give my money to a local farmer tycoon for ethanol than a foreighn terorist type for oil.

I don't think ethanol can be our only fuel supply like brazil but they do prove it is viable and could give us more options.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: ethanol [Re: HotRodDave] #603739
02/10/10 12:48 PM
02/10/10 12:48 PM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@#$%&*!  Offline
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
Compression is power AND efficiency, that's why diesels get good mileage in spite of the goo they call fuel. Ethanol allows more compression. Now, if we could only get the piston manufacturers to make some high compression pistons. The piston catalogs are full of sissy flat-tops and absolutely girly dished pistons that require you to mill the crap out of your heads to get any compression.

Re: ethanol [Re: @#$%&*!] #603740
02/10/10 09:30 PM
02/10/10 09:30 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
That compression deal ain't too bad, just gotta run a longer crank in it

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: ethanol [Re: HotRodDave] #603741
02/11/10 11:47 AM
02/11/10 11:47 AM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
@#$%&*!  Offline
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
If it were only that simple. The online piston catalogs I've looked at all have compression ratios listed with various chamber volumes and strokes and numbers over 11:1 are rare. Check for yourself. Virtually all the pistons are designed for pump gas with typical heads and typical strokes (not just stock). I'm not making this up!

Quote:

That compression deal ain't too bad, just gotta run a longer crank in it

Re: ethanol [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #603742
02/11/10 05:09 PM
02/11/10 05:09 PM
Ontario.Canada
C
can.al Offline OP
pro stock
can.al  Offline OP
pro stock
C

Ontario.Canada
...so you haven't had any problems with 94 and 10% ethanol.
how about 5 gallons at 94/10% ethanol mixed with 5 gallons of 91 octane and no ethanol...
would that be about 93 octane and only 5% ethanol?

..sometimes i scare myself!

Re: ethanol [Re: fox] #603743
02/11/10 05:17 PM
02/11/10 05:17 PM
Unfortunately back in New York
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Unfortunately back in New York
I'd rather live next to a corn field then a nuclear power plant any day.
There is nothing wrong with nuclear power, just alot of fear from 25 years ago. I'm not afraid to live next to a nuclear power plant. I will be going there in a few hours. The most greenhouse gas-free technology is nukes. A hydrogen based fuel system would benefit from this, seeing how reactor design can produce hydrogen for cheap. Plus it's a great way to make cash. I'm a little biased on that comment.

Re: ethanol [Re: can.al] #603744
02/11/10 05:23 PM
02/11/10 05:23 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

...so you haven't had any problems with 94 and 10% ethanol. how about 5 gallons at 94/10% ethanol mixed with 5 gallons of 91 octane and no ethanol... would that be about 93 octane and only 5% ethanol?..sometimes i scare myself!

Me too .

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: ethanol [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #603745
02/14/10 12:13 PM
02/14/10 12:13 PM
Not2farfromNashville, TN
R
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN
Quote:

I agree with rug, ethanol is crap in that it's no better for the environment and is nothing but a big government subsidy to the agri-business market at the expense of taking land away from food production.

Corn is one of the worst foods we eat.

As for the other postet I got some of my info from a documentary on PBS. Nebraska is has limited water, it is getting sucked up. Getting loaded with chemical fertilizers, and pesticides.

Switch grass is a better crop as it is native. Less chemicals are needed to grow it.

Show me where it takes less dino fuel to make the ethanol.

Watching another documentary about the Incas. The rich ones, and the ones that served them had rotten teeth. The rich ones ate corn.

"The only thing to do for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"
Re: ethanol [Re: Rug_Trucker] #603746
02/14/10 12:17 PM
02/14/10 12:17 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Quote:

Quote:

I agree with rug, ethanol is crap in that it's no better for the environment and is nothing but a big government subsidy to the agri-business market at the expense of taking land away from food production.

As for the other postet I got some of my info from a documentary on PBS. Nebraska is has limited water, it is getting sucked up. Getting loaded with chemical fertilizers, and pesticides.

Switch grass is a better crop as it is native. Less chemicals are needed to grow it.

Watching another documentary about the Incas. The rich ones, and the ones that served them had rotten teeth. The rich ones ate corn.

Walt I eat corn and have never had a cavity or sore tooth (except when I took a baseball to the face). I guess I just don't see your point there

Re: ethanol [Re: HotRodDave] #603747
02/14/10 12:38 PM
02/14/10 12:38 PM
dark side of the moon
D
Dougsmopars Offline
top fuel
Dougsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

dark side of the moon
I haven't seen any E85 pumps locally yet but most local pumps here are 10%. My nitro seems to run fine on regular. My GTX has no issues with 91. I miss the days with 104 octane.

Re: ethanol [Re: HotRodDave] #603748
02/28/10 10:16 AM
02/28/10 10:16 AM
Not2farfromNashville, TN
R
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Walt I eat corn and have never had a cavity or sore tooth (except when I took a baseball to the face). I guess I just don't see your point there

Well that was back in the days before Crest and Colgate

Still any diet out there tells you to stay away from corn. Many people are allergic to it.

"The only thing to do for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"
Re: ethanol [Re: Rug_Trucker] #603749
02/28/10 11:13 AM
02/28/10 11:13 AM
A certified culture free zone.
74RALLYE Offline
top fuel
74RALLYE  Offline
top fuel

A certified culture free zone.
Ethanol lowers my MPG and makes my car's computers dial back the performance. I always see the check engine / service engine warning lights when I fill up with 10% ethanol. It's OK fuel for regular driving, but for a vehicle that's driven occasionally, it's a poor choice. Even with Stabil added I've had it turn to crap within 3 months.
I'll never make the mistake of putting it into my tractor again. My 2 strokes were down on power with it and many yard tool manufacturers tell you not to use it in their equipment.
Retuning a 2 stroke to run on ethanol is a problem because that 10% seems to vary widely at the gas pump.
In Virginia a gas station doesn’t have to sell ethanol if they claim that a percentage of their fuel sales are going into boats and yard equipment. It adds about 4 cents to the cost of a gallon and that’s a cheap insurance when it’s time to start your engines.

Re: ethanol [Re: MMiller] #603750
02/28/10 01:59 PM
02/28/10 01:59 PM
Minnesota, USA
Sublime70 Offline
Sublime70  Offline

Minnesota, USA
Quote:

Quote:

OMG there is some bad info on this thread.

Ethanol production uses more fossil fuel to make it than it's worth. Corn production uses way too much water, pesticides, and chemical fertilizer. It is poisoning, and depleting the ground water in Nebraska.

This crap is a hand out from the gov to big agri-business. If it wasn't subsidised it would never fly.

Farm much? Got real, up to date numbers on both sides to back up your statements? Arnold in California uses very old production numbers, and overcalculates to say ethanol takes too much energy to produce. We raise WAY more corn now then we did even 10 years ago, on the same resources. Any farmer will only use the amount of fertilizer the corn needs, and will only spend the minimum on killing bugs. Did you realize that a lot of pestisides are natural and are made from plants? Did you know that pestisides and fertilizer are expensive, and any farmer will make sure and get the best of his investment? Did you know that the left over from an ethanol plant goes to the nearest cattle lot, were the cows have an easier time digesting the stuff in corn it needs?

I do farm, and while I'm not sure that Ethanol is the silver bullet to stop foriegn oil, it is a stepping stone to the next generation of fuels. Someone has to start somewhere. I'd rather live next to a corn field then a nuclear power plant any day.

Now back on topic. I've never had any problem running 89, or 91 octane with 10% ethanol, even my carbed engines. My weedeater starts on the first pull, my garden tractor is fine. Even after setting months shut off for the winter. I've got E85 in my pulling truck, it has not started since October. I'll see if I need to pull the carb apart because the ethanol nay-sayers says the carb will be full of junk. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I'm running 6 pack pistons, 915 heads, and it runs a whole bunch better then it ever did on pump gas. I won't be going back to pump gas.

Sorry Rug Trucker to quote you, but farming has been my upbringing and my way of life. Corn and soybeans, one way or another has been respondsible for most every paycheck I've ever earned, and hopefully the rest of them. Since I was about 8 years old, its all I've wanted to do. On our particular farm, we use much less fuel, and energy since the ethanol plant opened. Before our corn would travel 100-200 miles from our farm before it was processed. Now it travels 18 miles from farm to process. On our farm we handle more corn per acre then we did ten years ago, and use less fuel doing it. We are changing our fertilizer application program, and will be getting more production from the same about of fertilzer then we ever did before. We use the minimum amount of herbicides, and pesticides, while still getting yeilds.

Michael

Amen brother. While I am not a farmer, I am an engineer for a large firm that makes Diesel engines;I have studied this topic intently and your are right. Making Ethanol from Corn gives an net energy INCREASE of 25-30 % over what it takes to make it(this is a 125% to 130% gain in energy). This is from a comprehensive USDA study that included everything from the typical light bulb size used in the average farmers machine shed, to the amount of fertilizer used, and shipping distances to the nearest Ethanol plant. Yes, the study was that detailed. Bottom line is; with modern farming practices there is a gain in energy when manufacturing Ethanol from corn and it is getting better every year. Corn is only a steping stone, however, next step is Cellulosic Ethanol, which uses other biomass in place of corn. With cellulosic Ethanol you can expect about a 300% energy gain (note; using sugar cane to make Ethanol you get a 700% gain, but that is tough to grow in Minnesota). There was a recent University of Minnesota study that found that the solar energy captured by biomass is maximized using a mix of native prairie grasses, as opposed to a monoculture of say switch grass. Makes sense as over the eons prairie grasses developed to make the most use of the available sun light. Sun light is the ultimate source of the energy that we are talking about here.

As for the effects on engines, E85 (or even neat Ethanol) is an amazing fuel. While having about 34% less energy content by volume than gasoline, Ethanol has an octane of 115 (RON + MON/2). Which more than makes up for the loss in volumetric energy content. In other words you can run 14:1 compression ratio and greatly increase engine power and efficiency. That is why Alcohol fueled engines have their own class in drag racing. The Alky engines blow the doors off the gasoline fueled ones. Obviously the engine has to be designed to run on in it in order to take full advantage of the fuel. Unfortuanely, most flex fuel engines are hampered by also having to be compatible with gasoline, so they can't take full advantage of the fuel. Ricardo has recently demonstrated a 3.6 liter 6 cylinder DI spark ignited engine that was optimized for Ethanol, and it developed over 660ft-lbf of torque. That is equal to GM's much larger duramax Diesel.

I know those people who have a friend, who has a brother, who's cousin got a clogged fuel filter from Ethanol back in 1975 will continue to disagree, but the truth is the truth. Since just about every gas pump in Minnesota and Iowa has an E85 pump I am bumping up the compression in my muscle cars and running E85. I feel sorry for those guys running running gasoline in their Hemi's or 440's when I blow them away with my little A66 340 Challenger, or my little 350 powered 1970 Camaro.

OK, I will step down off my soap box now, and go back under my desk and put my tin foil hat back on. Those government mind control rays are a [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean].

Check out this website;
http://www.ethanolfacts.com/ETHL2008/page.php?pgID=19

Re: ethanol [Re: 74RALLYE] #603751
02/28/10 02:10 PM
02/28/10 02:10 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
I never knew you could buy staight gas, I always thought that in the last 10 years gas had a mixture of up to 10% alcohol in it? Maybe it is just here?

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: ethanol [Re: RapidRobert] #603752
02/28/10 02:14 PM
02/28/10 02:14 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: ethanol [Re: HealthServices] #603753
02/28/10 02:18 PM
02/28/10 02:18 PM
Minnesota, USA
Sublime70 Offline
Sublime70  Offline

Minnesota, USA
Quote:

I never knew you could buy staight gas, I always thought that in the last 10 years gas had a mixture of up to 10% alcohol in it? Maybe it is just here?

I believe the only place you can buy straight gas is at an airport. 10% Ethanol has been used for years in Minnesota and Iowa, as a means of meeting the Federal clean air requirement of having an oxygenated fuel. California resisted for a long time mainly due to the fact that the oil companies have a strong loby out there, and instead used MTBE as the oxygenate. MTBE is made from oil... Anyway, after MTBE poisoned the ground water across the state of California they finally relented and went to Ethanol. Who says Californians are all a bunch of tree huggers. I guess they would rather give their money to the oil barons over seas, as opposed to midwestern farmers.

Re: ethanol [Re: Sublime70] #603754
02/28/10 02:20 PM
02/28/10 02:20 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

Since just about every gas pump in Minnesota and Iowa has an E85 pump I am bumping up the compression in my muscle cars and running E85.

That's funny, because e85 must stop at the border because here in MB we have only one e85 pump, and it's government use only.

Re: ethanol [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #603755
02/28/10 02:24 PM
02/28/10 02:24 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
I wish E85 was plentiful here. Pretty much nonexistent for the most part even though there are a lot of dual fuel (flex fuel) cars here.

Re: ethanol [Re: Sublime70] #603756
02/28/10 02:25 PM
02/28/10 02:25 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Most of the gas stations here say on the pump they have up to 10% ethanol except the connocos and they advertise "no ethanol" and it costs 20Cents a gallon more.

Re: ethanol [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #603757
02/28/10 02:45 PM
02/28/10 02:45 PM
Minnesota, USA
Sublime70 Offline
Sublime70  Offline

Minnesota, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Since just about every gas pump in Minnesota and Iowa has an E85 pump I am bumping up the compression in my muscle cars and running E85.

That's funny, because e85 must stop at the border because here in MB we have only one e85 pump, and it's government use only.

Bummer it looks like it does stop at the border.
Check out the link provided by HealthServices.

http://e85forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1457#1457

There are even more stations in the midwest now!

You know, I think I made a mistake in getting on my soap box. If everyone starts using it...
On second thought it is a bad fuel. It will cause warts, baldness, and bad breath don't use it. Right you midwestern guys out there, lets keep this a secret... Bad fuel don't use it. It even causes inebriation and dependency

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3