Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

Quote:

I'am not being a smart a$$ but I call BS.When you bush them all your doing is making them all the same size.The angle is not going to change.

I have bushed hundreds of them all. I can plot the bore locations with the renishaw probe and show you just how bad they are. I can plot the locations of both the top and bottom of the bore and calculate the error in the angle. As Jimi says, they are all horrible. What most fail to consider is that with the current crop of fast rate of lift flat tappet cams putting the lobe out right to the edge of the lifter, the block geometry has to be as precise as the cam is ground. Ma Mopar was the WORST of the big three as far as factory machining.
Now imagine how many flat tappet failures have been blamed on the cam and or lifters when the block is really the culprit. I laugh when I'm at COMP cams looking at how accurate the cams are ground knowing they'll be put in some 40yr old POS block And if you think stuffing a roller in is the fix, think about how moving the bore .020 from the center line and changing the angle of the lifter 1 degree affects valve timing events Now imagine having 16 different variations of that and look at the incremental power you are leaving on the table.

Mike,

While you're here, I've got a few of questions.

Would you recommend bushing the lifter bores on a mild 400 horsepower street 400/451 stroker?

What's the longevity of the bronze bushings? Might they last 100k miles or more in the said street engine if properly maintained?

My only real concern with the bushings is if they ever came loose from the block.

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: 8secDart] #601781
02/03/10 08:02 AM
02/03/10 08:02 AM
wappinger falls new york
J
Jimi_Vignogna Offline
mopar
Jimi_Vignogna  Offline
mopar
J

wappinger falls new york
Quote:

I'am not being a smart a$$ but I call BS.When you bush them all your doing is making them all the same size.The angle is not going to change.

that is because you are not educated on this subject(not being a smart a$$) . the angle does certainly change! i have seen net gains of 14 average hp on the dyno in my stocker engine from correcting the improper lifter angularity from the poor machining from chrysler. i would challenge you to remove the un bushed engine from your car dissasemble it and check the event at each valve and tell me if it is bs.

Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: Jimi_Vignogna] #601782
02/03/10 08:09 AM
02/03/10 08:09 AM
State of Corruption
camdog440 Offline
pro stock
camdog440  Offline
pro stock

State of Corruption

What is the typical cost of having the lifter bores bushed?

Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: camdog440] #601783
02/03/10 08:21 AM
02/03/10 08:21 AM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
The ones I've measured are between .906 and .907. I know it leaves a little power on the table but when I spec a lobe I don't use the ".904" profiles for that reason. They mandate everything else be to blueprint condition and most customers don't want to spend the extra coin. So I'll run a fast rate ford lifter profile and have that little bit of wiggle room (pun intended). I think if it's an all out deal then definately go as fast a rate of lift as you can but spend the cash to get the lifter bores perfect. I bush evey roller cam engine, more for safety and reliability than power, but even then I get beat up for being too "big dollar"...lol. The saddest truth is aside from the ignorance, many builders simply don't measure the lifter bore, never mind having the equipment to verify proper angles.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: camdog440] #601784
02/03/10 08:27 AM
02/03/10 08:27 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

It will differ in areas around the country but here
its $400-$500

Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #601785
02/03/10 12:37 PM
02/03/10 12:37 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
yup... $500 for me...

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #601786
02/03/10 01:01 PM
02/03/10 01:01 PM
Ohio
J
john55 Offline
master
john55  Offline
master
J

Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

It will differ in areas around the country but here
its $400-$500

sorry to hijack, but what about a Mopar or World block that isn't machined yet for lifters, would that be a lot more $$$

The Plymouth Win You Over Beat Goes On
Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: CompSyn] #601787
02/03/10 07:37 PM
02/03/10 07:37 PM
Illinois
CRE2004 Offline
super gas
CRE2004  Offline
super gas

Illinois
Quote:

Mike,

Would you recommend bushing the lifter bores on a mild 400 horsepower street 400/451 stroker?

Depends upon what cam gets installed. Most likely not on a mild build but keep in mind a lifter bush job is less expensive than a full rebuild from a wiped cam if going flat tappet.
Quote:

What's the longevity of the bronze bushings? Might they last 100k miles or more in the said street engine if properly maintained?

Ampco bronze needs less lubrication than cast iron to not wear. As long as there is pressurized oil to the lifters, I don't see a longevity issue on a street car.
Quote:

My only real concern with the bushings is if they ever came loose from the block.

They are pressed in and we use a sleeve locker

Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: camdog440] #601788
02/03/10 09:59 PM
02/03/10 09:59 PM
wappinger falls new york
J
Jimi_Vignogna Offline
mopar
Jimi_Vignogna  Offline
mopar
J

wappinger falls new york
Quote:

depending on what needs to be done (tanking the block,dissasembly etc.) 450.00 to 600.00

Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: CRE2004] #601789
02/04/10 07:17 AM
02/04/10 07:17 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

Depends upon what cam gets installed. Most likely not on a mild build but keep in mind a lifter bush job is less expensive than a full rebuild from a wiped cam if going flat tappet.
Quote:

Ampco bronze needs less lubrication than cast iron to not wear. As long as there is pressurized oil to the lifters, I don't see a longevity issue on a street car.
Quote:

Yes, I am going flat tappet. So now you got me pondering your Block-In-A-Bag option since I don't think there are any shops in my area with the same level of Mopar expertise.

Questions:

I'm attached to my block, can you return the one I send you?

Is there any shipping cost included with the Block-In-A-Bag price or is it all extra?

Generally, how does packaging and freight work with an engine block? What's the best way?

Thanks again!

Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: CompSyn] #601790
02/09/10 08:32 PM
02/09/10 08:32 PM
Illinois
CRE2004 Offline
super gas
CRE2004  Offline
super gas

Illinois
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I am going flat tappet. So now you got me pondering your Block-In-A-Bag option since I don't think there are any shops in my area with the same level of Mopar expertise.

Questions:

I'm attached to my block, can you return the one I send you?

YES

Quote:

Is there any shipping cost included with the Block-In-A-Bag price or is it all extra?

Shipping is not included
Quote:

Generally, how does packaging and freight work with an engine block? What's the best way?

Most guys strap it to a pallet and ship it via some LTL common carrier, R&L, Roadway, Yellowfreight, fedex freight, etc. Some take the time to box it or wrap it, but most just strap it down and send it. When it's returned, it will be packaged well in a HEAVY cardboard container and strapped to a pallet as well.

Re: Seen many OEM 440 blocks with lifter bore issues? [Re: CRE2004] #601791
02/09/10 09:45 PM
02/09/10 09:45 PM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline
master

Rock Springs
Hello Brad
I had one block I suspected of bad lifter bore indexing. It was credited to a wipe lobe in "04" I was trying to break in a MP 590 purple shaft. I done everything correctly..Sometimes they still eat lobes.
Fast forward to 2008. A friend is now using the block. He purchases a new Comp cam with SQ lobes. I wasnt there for break in, but the guy knows the in's and out's of a new cam break in procedure.
Well a few races later, he calls me and says..."hey the valve train noise is crazy lowd on this engine"
I say well have you checked lash. He said No
He calls me back a few days later and tells me the cam is trashed. I was over the next weekend. Looking at the cam I saw something that surprised me. I turned around and say "hey that wiped lobe was on Number #6 hole exh, and #4 intake?" He says yea how did you know?...LOL
That block used a roller cam, and a few other flat tappet cams in between these cams with no trouble. I know one was already broken in..but I suspect a problem with those bore for sure.

Last edited by Bob_Coomer; 02/09/10 09:46 PM.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Page 2 of 2 1 2