L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Quote:

In my opinion, the black MP VC are too wide. This is true with RPM heads, and may also be true for stock heads. The "inner" edge of the sealing surface of the VC is very close to the "outer" edge of the lip on the head. This is why they cut the VC gasket.

That's what I found with my MP covers also. They have to be centered before tightening the bolts on some heads. You can feel the gasket off center if you feel under the top and then the bottom of the VC lip.

MP should sell wider gaskets for those covers.

Re: Big Block Valve Covers [Re: Lefty] #587696
01/22/10 08:28 PM
01/22/10 08:28 PM
Toronto, Canada
D
dirtybee Offline
super stock
dirtybee  Offline
super stock
D

Toronto, Canada
i use the mp cast vc and i stick the gasket (usually the black felpro) to the vc with ultra copper rtv. then i slather white grease between the gasket and the head and it doesn't leak and allows removal of the vc without damaging the gasket. an old timer truck mechanic from montreal gave me that tip a few years back and it works great.

Re: Big Block Valve Covers [Re: msanchi] #587697
01/22/10 09:18 PM
01/22/10 09:18 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Those are basically the Moroso ones I have.
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopestcovaco.html

They are said to be the best but i have done something wrong or my VC are shot.

I have heard good things about the Indy VC but I don't know if they work w/o studs.

Thinking about these by KMJ
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-383...=item335930f2f5

Any thoughts?

I have those, but not from KMJ, I believe they are Pro Forms or something. I had to rat-tail file a hole or two to get good alignment with the (Eddie) heads. They were flat enough to seal well along the mating surface but I had some oil seeping up through some of the bolt holes (not the ones I opened up). I put some sealant on around the bolts and now they are well sealed.

Re: Big Block Valve Covers [Re: MACDiesel] #587698
01/24/10 10:09 PM
01/24/10 10:09 PM
NC, USA
D
davenc Offline
mopar
davenc  Offline
mopar
D

NC, USA

The spacers I was referring to are typically used to raise the height of the VC so it could clear high lift valve gear. The look similar to the gasket in shape but are made out of a solid material. Mine are made out of aluminum. By RTVing the spacer to the VC, I eliminated the problem with the width of the VC, and also presented a nice smooth, solid surface to seal against the gasket (as opposed to the MP VC, which have all sorts of casting effects on the sealing surface). Spacers will likely run 60-80, but are cheaper than buying a nice set of high end VC (assuming you already have the MP VC). If I had it to do all over again, I would have looked further for better VC and accepted the cost.

I tried the RTV gasket to VC, grease between gasket and head, but that still leaked some. I think that approach would work fine if the VC were a little more narrow, to get a wider sealing area with the gasket.

When using the spacers you do need longer studs. I used 2" "set screws" from Fastenal. They were like $0.40 each.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2