moparts Offline
I Live Here
moparts  Offline
I Live Here

Norwich CT USA
Quote:

Im looking to go with a 470 also.
Who has the drop in kit?

This thread is a factual thread about the ONE set up that BGR has in his shop.

This thread is NOT:

A place to sell your other kits
A place to ask about other kits
A place to voice your opinion

Just the facts and stay on subject or the thread gets locked

Tom ,

2011 Ram 3500 C&C Diesel
2009 Challenger R/T
1971 Challenger Conv. 511/4 speed
1970 Challenger R/T 503/727

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: moparts] #576030
01/09/10 12:20 PM
01/09/10 12:20 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Who has the drop in kit?

This thread is NOT:

lock it, with out opinion on both sides it's worthless

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Quicktree] #576031
01/09/10 12:48 PM
01/09/10 12:48 PM
Aurora, Oh.
M
max_maniac Offline
master
max_maniac  Offline
master
M

Aurora, Oh.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who has the drop in kit?

This thread is NOT:

lock it, with out my opinion it's worthless

Fixed it for ya

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Quicktree] #576032
01/09/10 12:51 PM
01/09/10 12:51 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who has the drop in kit?

This thread is NOT:

I'm sure there's a LOT of other guys like me watching this thread and so far have been keeping their comments and opinions to themselves, so maybe they can learn something. How about holding off on all the other comments, opinions, etc. until maybe after BG and company have posted everything they have on this thread?
If you want to get a thread locked, try another thread...or maybe the mods should remove any replies other than those from BG and company?

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Sixpak] #576033
01/09/10 01:33 PM
01/09/10 01:33 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who has the drop in kit?

This thread is NOT:

I'm sure there's a LOT of other guys like me watching this thread and so far have been keeping their comments and opinions to themselves, so maybe they can learn something. How about holding off on all the other comments, opinions, etc. until maybe after BG and company have posted everything they have on this thread?
If you want to get a thread locked, try another thread...or maybe the mods should remove any replies other than those from BG and company?

different point of views from other qualified builders is a good thing. BG is more than qualified to do the test and it really doesn't matter if the kit is new or used. I doubt very seriously if any of the previous builders of the kit did anything to change what BG has found. the only thing letting other people voice their opinions is it saves a hundred other threads about the same subject and easier to keep up with. if you really need something like this to guide you there is a problem. find you a good builder you can trust and let them select a kit that will work for you....

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Sixpak] #576034
01/09/10 01:39 PM
01/09/10 01:39 PM
Fancy Farm Ky
W
wyoming Offline
top fuel
wyoming  Offline
top fuel
W

Fancy Farm Ky
I've built two motors with the 440 Source parts, one for my car and one for a friends car, bother were the RB 493 kits, both checked out good, I cycled the rod bolts several times on both since I had seen the warnings before on the offshore rods, both miced out ok, the kits I bought weren't balanced by 440 Source, local machine shop that builds round track SBC motors did that for me, the small ends of the rods had to be honed, but knew that was the case beforehand. My motor has 350 or so passes on it, no issues with it, buddies has 100 I would guess, both cars run in the 10.3 10.4 range, mine weighs 3740 with my big butt in it, his is lighter, so far the parts have worked well for us. I've checked bearings on mine after having a roller lifter come apart, changed the bearings because of trash, plan on checking them again over the winter, so far the parts have worked fine for me.

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Quicktree] #576035
01/09/10 01:57 PM
01/09/10 01:57 PM
NE Ohio
DoubleD Offline
top fuel
DoubleD  Offline
top fuel

NE Ohio

Well opinions are like arses everyone has one! and Qualified is one of the most overused term on the internet today - everybody is qualified at something - even the village idiot is qualified at what he does!

The thread started as being informative then the bashers started - is this a representative sample of the product - NO! it's just a on the internet - save the drama for your mama!

Most of the guys on here have no idea what it was like 25 years ago - a good crank, rods or pistons were not available for a couple of grand - even then you got parts that had to be re-worked - if you want bolt together stuff out of a catalog go race a go-kart!

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Quicktree] #576036
01/09/10 02:27 PM
01/09/10 02:27 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who has the drop in kit?

This thread is NOT:

different point of views from other qualified builders is a good thing. BG is more than qualified to do the test and it really doesn't matter if the kit is new or used. I doubt very seriously if any of the previous builders of the kit did anything to change what BG has found. the only thing letting other people voice their opinions is it saves a hundred other threads about the same subject and easier to keep up with. if you really need something like this to guide you there is a problem. find you a good builder you can trust and let them select a kit that will work for you....

I've built plenty of street and drag car motors myself, but I am still open minded enough to see what I can learn from someone else. Others may benefit from this thread in its original intended format; you may not, but there's no reason to suggest locking it - that's just selfish.
Right now, that someone else I want to learn from is BG and company, which was the original intent of this thread, until it started getting derailed. I have yet to work with any of the Source parts and want to learn from what BG and company have to say.
If you or others want to talk about your results, insert your opinions or your experiences go start another thread, separate from this one, so this one doesn't end up getting locked.

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: B G Racing] #576037
01/09/10 03:57 PM
01/09/10 03:57 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

#5720373 - Fri Jan 08 2010 09:36 AM

Admittely there is a more accurate way to measure this with a fixture that I have for measuring rods that he can't find Saturday I will measure them myself on my large stand micrometer and a marble stand.I will record those dimension for everyone.

Looking forward to data, rather than talk from everyone...

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: curt jr] #576038
01/09/10 04:01 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

Notice these rods are supplied with ARP 2000 rod bolts.

From 440source.com:
Additional Kit options:
Upgrade to ARP2000 rod bolts: $70

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Sixpak] #576039
Austin, TX
HemiDave Offline
master
HemiDave  Offline
master

Austin, TX
Does everyone honestly think that getting a kit that someone else has already modified is a good representation of that company's kit? Even though this is a USED kit, it will forever be REMEMBERED as the "440 Source kit". Which it is not. It is a kit that was modified by a few people before being evaluated. That is not a valid test of a 440 Source kit.

A new, unused 440 Source kit is the ONLY way to determine if the parts included pass the clearance and finishing tests.

I would not consider this a valid test of a 440 Source kit and would not base my purchases/options on these results.

Dave

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: moparts] #576040
Virginia Beach, VA
O
Old School Offline
super stock
Old School  Offline
super stock
O

Virginia Beach, VA
Quote:

Quote:

Who has the drop in kit?

This thread is NOT:

WOW!!!

68 cuda formula S 588" bb 5sp
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (SUBLIME)
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (PLUMCRAZY):TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!
Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: HemiDave] #576041
01/09/10 04:25 PM
01/09/10 04:25 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Does everyone honestly think that getting a kit that someone else has already modified is a good representation of that company's kit? Even though this is a USED kit, it will forever be REMEMBERED as the "440 Source kit". Which it is not. It is a kit that was modified by a few people before being evaluated. That is not a valid test of a 440 Source kit.

A new, unused 440 Source kit is the ONLY way to determine if the parts included pass the clearance and finishing tests.

I would not consider this a valid test of a 440 Source kit and would not base my purchases options on these results.

Dave

and Thank You .... Apples and Oranges, although it is a very informative thread it should really not be an assessment of value towards a budget kit in my mind unless it was randomly purchased directly from the vendor...not second hand and most certainly not a few years old

Rickster

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: HemiDave] #576042
01/09/10 04:59 PM
01/09/10 04:59 PM
Joplin, Mo
R
rt66jim Offline
master
rt66jim  Offline
master
R

Joplin, Mo
Quote:

I would not consider this a valid test of a 440 Source kit and would not base my purchases/options on these results.

Dave

I have been following this thread from the beginning. Maybe I missed something. My understanding was that this kit had been purchased and looked at by another person/builder. Who determined it was over his head. BG is that a correct understanding? If incorrect please feel free to point me in the right direction. Jim

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: rt66jim] #576043
01/09/10 05:01 PM
01/09/10 05:01 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

I have been following this thread from the beginning. Maybe I missed something. My understanding was that this kit had been purchased and looked at by another person/builder. Who determined it was over his head. BG is that a correct understanding? If incorrect please feel free to point me in the right direction. Jim

it makes no difference

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Quicktree] #576044
01/09/10 05:12 PM
01/09/10 05:12 PM
Great Lakes Region
A
abodiesonly1 Offline
mopar
abodiesonly1  Offline
mopar
A

Great Lakes Region
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

it makes no difference

Why doesnt it make a difference?

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: abodiesonly1] #576045
01/09/10 05:51 PM
01/09/10 05:51 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

it makes no difference

because nothing was done to the crank by the previous owner to create these problems or issues if thats what you want to call them.

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: Quicktree] #576046
01/09/10 07:33 PM
01/09/10 07:33 PM
Austin, TX
HemiDave Offline
master
HemiDave  Offline
master

Austin, TX
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

it makes no difference

because nothing was done to the crank by the previous owner to create these problems or issues if thats what you want to call them.

Quote from BG Racing:
"That the supplier missed it is one thing,the guy who bought it is another,the guy that preped the block machine work and started to assemble is still another mystery and it wasn't till it came to BGR after repeated questions and a request for help did we start to completely evaluate the kit for everyone on Moparts did this all come to light."

Too many 'mysteries' for me. A valid test should start with a NEW kit. I don't know, but that sure SOUNDS reasonable...

Dave

Re: 440 source kit update part 2 [Re: HemiDave] #576047
01/09/10 07:36 PM
01/09/10 07:36 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

it makes no difference

Quote from BG Racing:
"That the supplier missed it is one thing,the guy who bought it is another,the guy that preped the block machine work and started to assemble is still another mystery and it wasn't till it came to BGR after repeated questions and a request for help did we start to completely evaluate the kit for everyone on Moparts did this all come to light."

Too many 'mysteries' for me. A valid test should start with a NEW kit. I don't know, but that sure SOUNDS reasonable...

Dave

doesn't sound like a mystery to me, it is what it is. if you don't want people posting what they find sell good stuff

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6