01/06/10 10:27 PM
01/06/10 10:27 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
I hear you Tom, I will be spending the bucks on a good clutch for sure, and I'm still undecided on the rear.

The Dana vs 8.75 would be an easier choice if I had a good 8.75 center cection and axles already (which I don't).

Doing the math on a fresh 8.75 center section with good parts and new gears plus axles (plenty tough combo I'm sure) as compared to an all new Dana 60, there wouldn't be a huge difference in price, and the Dana would just about bullet proof. The extra weight of the Dana is a non issue, especially where it's located, the only negative I can see is gear swapping.

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: Hemi_Joel] #574083
01/07/10 02:56 PM
01/07/10 02:56 PM
State of retirement
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of retirement
Quote:

There are 2 classes and 2 sets of rules. F.A.S.T. is the one that allows the internal engone mods, Factory Stock does not. No factory race cars allowed
Quote:

I wasn't sure because the rules are almost identical. You say "No factory race cars allowed" but why do the rules mention max wedge cars being allowed? A '67 RO/WO HEMI is just a modified street HEMI and from what I remember,originally built for stock class racing and not super/stock. Why shouldn't they be allowed too?

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #574084
01/07/10 02:58 PM
01/07/10 02:58 PM
Ansonia, CT
C
CJK440 Offline
master
CJK440  Offline
master
C

Ansonia, CT
Scott, how about one of those Aluminum Dana 44's Chrysler put in Jeep Grand Cherokees.

2017 Contusion Blue Challenger T/A 392 M6 "BLKNBLU"
Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: 52savoy] #574085
01/07/10 07:52 PM
01/07/10 07:52 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
Quote:

You say "No factory race cars allowed" but why do the rules mention max wedge cars being allowed? A '67 RO/WO HEMI is just a modified street HEMI and from what I remember,originally built for stock class racing and not super/stock. Why shouldn't they be allowed too?

Well the RO/WO23, the A990 cars and Hemi A body Mopars, the ZL1 vette, the Thunderbolt, etc. were deemed to be factory race cars and ineligible for FAST. The ZL1 camaro was allowed in, even though lots of guys think it is a factory race car.

All of this stuff got worked out years ago with alot of brand rivalries, debating and compromises. There were threads on the Year One FAST message board that when on for page after page. Not everything makes perfect sense to everybody coming in later and analyzing it from the outside. But at this point we just accept what it is, and it is really cool and fun. The FAST rules were last revised in 2003, it is highly unlikely that there will be any changes in the future. The participants seem to be happy with them as that are.

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: Hemi_Joel] #574086
01/07/10 08:57 PM
01/07/10 08:57 PM
Phila Pa
S
scatpacktom Offline
master
scatpacktom  Offline
master
S

Phila Pa
Just so we are clear... ZL1 Camaros are race cars too, but they are legal? Sure doesn't seem right to me that a 67 Coronet with a hood scoop is illegal but a Camaro with a aluminum engine option that Fred Gibb ordered 50 of for Super Stock is legal.

Don't get me started on this

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: scatpacktom] #574087
01/08/10 12:21 AM
01/08/10 12:21 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Yea, If I recall correctly the reason that they are allowed in is that they (and the Corvettes) were allowed in under the "grandfather" rule when FAST was started by Pure Stock racers?

Sorry to those running either car but I think it's an embarrasement, you should either allow some of the "fringe" Mopar race cars in (64&67 Hemi Plymouths & Dodges, etc.) or gracefully bow out of FAST or build something else because even though the Hemi cars usually whip you, it's just not a level playing field. As things are now I don't consider either as legitamate in FAST.

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #574088
01/08/10 10:29 AM
01/08/10 10:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Yea, If I recall correctly the reason that they are allowed in is that they (and the Corvettes) were allowed in under the "grandfather" rule when FAST was started by Pure Stock racers?

Sorry to those running either car but I think it's an embarrasement, you should either allow some of the "fringe" Mopar race cars in (64&67 Hemi Plymouths & Dodges, etc.) or gracefully bow out of FAST or build something else because even though the Hemi cars usually whip you, it's just not a level playing field. As things are now I don't consider either as legitamate in FAST.

You can't use the term "level playing field" when talking about FAST, because it will NEVER be level because there isn't anything level about it............ It is fun though, and there are a pretty good bunch of guys out there doing it.......

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? #574089
01/08/10 03:07 PM
01/08/10 03:07 PM
State of retirement
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of retirement
Since I can't run '67 RO car, can I run a '64 Savoy max wedge(440) clone? Looks like the rules allow them.

Just curious...

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: 52savoy] #574090
01/08/10 03:44 PM
01/08/10 03:44 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Since I can't run '67 RO car, can I run a '64 Savoy max wedge(440) clone? Looks like the rules allow them.

Just curious...

Yes.

And let me say this much. Having built one FAST 63 Maxie and currently building another motor for a '63, the '64 would be a great choice and could do some damage in this class. The big plus for the '64 build is to be able to use the reissue 518 heads so you don't have to scrounge up and piece together stuff that's almost 50 years old at this point ...

MB

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: scatpacktom] #574091
01/08/10 05:10 PM
01/08/10 05:10 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Just so we are clear... ZL1 Camaros are race cars too, but they are legal? Sure doesn't seem right to me that a 67 Coronet with a hood scoop is illegal but a Camaro with a aluminum engine option that Fred Gibb ordered 50 of for Super Stock is legal.

Don't get me started on this

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #574092
01/08/10 05:12 PM
01/08/10 05:12 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I think calling it an EMBRASSMENT is a stretch.

That's the beauty of FAST , or any other clsss of racing , don't like the rules either start your own game and write your own rules so your car stays on top or take your ball and go home .

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: JohnRR] #574093
01/08/10 05:22 PM
01/08/10 05:22 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
The contention from the Chevy camp is that the ZL1 was a RPO and the cars were "assembly line" built, unlike some of the other cars like the LO/BO cars. They also came with a warranty, which is something that cannot be said of some of the other "non legal" entries. Take that for whatever it is worth. I still think that if someone got serious about a legal iron head BB chevy in a real "purpose built" car, that you can be very competitive in FAST.

At the end of the day, if you want to run at or near the top, you can do it with an entry from just about any of the big three. Some are more difficult than otehrs, but you can do it. And that is what makes it entertaining.

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: HPMike] #574094
01/08/10 07:52 PM
01/08/10 07:52 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

I think calling it an EMBRASSMENT is a stretch.

That's the beauty of FAST , or any other clsss of racing , don't like the rules either start your own game and write your own rules so your car stays on top or take your ball and go home .

Well John, telling me to "Take my ball and go home" is a stretch too isn't it?

Obviously you don't agree with me, and that's fine, I'm sure others won't either, but that's how I feel. I've felt for a long time that the FAST rules need some refining (not drastic changes, maybe clearification would be a better term), there are a few areas that really don't give definate guidlines that can make it hard for a rookie to build a car without making an expensive directional choice.

The only rule I'd vote to really change would be the cars allowed in (or not) as I already explained above. As they are right now I don't think it's fair to all manufacturers regardless of who is on top or not, or how GM vehicles were ordered to get them produced, anyone who says a ZL1 Camero is NOT a factory racecar are only hiding behind their factory order sheets.

As you know I hope to race my car in a FAST event someday, heck it may never happen, but one things for sure, I'm not out to get any rules changed to benifit myself, it's not like I'll be besting the field with a 340 Duster no matter what the rules are.

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #574095
01/09/10 10:48 AM
01/09/10 10:48 AM
Phila Pa
S
scatpacktom Offline
master
scatpacktom  Offline
master
S

Phila Pa
I see the word embarassment has been used.

What do you call the feeling when you get done explaining the FAST rules and that No Factory Race Cars are allowed to compete and the very next thing out of "curious Joe racer guy" is "but they let a ZL1 Camaro run?"

Some folks have accused me of being the kind of guy that wants to see the ZL1 banned from FAST competition.On the contrary I want to see ALL factory race cars run.

And my question is, WHO WOULDN'T?

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #574096
01/09/10 06:13 PM
01/09/10 06:13 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Well John, telling me to "Take my ball and go home" is a stretch too isn't it?

No , it's not , you don't like the rules then don't play , yes it really is that simple .

No I agree with you , but in a different camp , I say LET THEM ALL RUN instead of singling out a few, the big equalizer is THE TIRE .

If you are going to let a car run that only a handfull were made TO MAKE THEM LEGAL FOR SUPER STOCK RACING , then everything that was available should be able to run .

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: 52savoy] #574097
01/10/10 08:00 PM
01/10/10 08:00 PM
Midwest
R
RSNAKE Offline
RSNAKE  Offline
R

Midwest
Quote:

Just curious...

You would have to double check this with the rules guys but, but I am pretty sure nothing stops you from throwing a plain flat hood on the car, moving the battery back to the front and running it as a plain jane hemi Belvedere. I think everything else about the car would fit within the rules. Essentially you would be cloning a plain Belvedere II. I am not sure why you would want to do this, unless you already have the car and just want to run it in the class with minimal modifications.

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: RSNAKE] #574098
01/10/10 09:23 PM
01/10/10 09:23 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

Just curious...

You would have to double check this with the rules guys but, but I am pretty sure nothing stops you from throwing a plain flat hood on the car, moving the battery back to the front and running it as a plain jane hemi Belvedere. I think everything else about the car would fit within the rules. Essentially you would be cloning a plain Belvedere II. I am not sure why you would want to do this, unless you already have the car and just want to run it in the class with minimal modifications.

No Hemi cars before '66 allowed in FAST.

Trust me on this. If you build a 64 Maxie and do it right, you WILL run with the heavies. At least the legal ones anyway.

MB

Edit: RSNAKE -I think I get it. You are saying he should run the '67 as a hemi car. That would be kosher.

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: HPMike] #574099
01/10/10 09:47 PM
01/10/10 09:47 PM
State of retirement
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of retirement
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just curious...

No Hemi cars before '66 allowed in FAST.

Trust me on this. If you build a 64 Maxie and do it right, you WILL run with the heavies. At least the legal ones anyway.

MB

Edit: RSNAKE -I think I get it. You are saying he should run the '67 as a hemi car. That would be kosher.

I just finished the '64 Savoy a few months ago and was planning to run NSS. A friend who is building a 70 Coronet R/T for FAST mentioned I should try FAST also. I'm getting ready to start on a '67 Belvedere "Silver Bullet" clone and the conversation came up if maybe that car might(?) make it in too.
That's the whole story...other than I know very little about that class.

but anyhow..thanks for all the comments

Re: F.A.S.T. Class racing.....??? [Re: 52savoy] #574100
01/10/10 10:54 PM
01/10/10 10:54 PM
Minnesota
Hemi_Joel Offline
master
Hemi_Joel  Offline
master

Minnesota
You can make your 67 a GTX or a Belvedere. The only thing you would really gain with an RO23 (if it was legal) would be the fresh air to the carbs and moving a little bit of weight to the trunk w/ the battery. Everything else that an RO23 has that I can think of, you can do to a GTX or Belvedere.

Page 2 of 2 1 2