Oconomowoc, WI.
C
Cudahlr Offline
mopar
Cudahlr  Offline
mopar
C

Oconomowoc, WI.
As far as I know the only one who ever admitted using nitrous was Billy Glidden, he did it to show everyone that he could do it and get past NHRA tech inspection. he qualified for a few races and then he admitted to and showed NHRA how he did it.

As far as the Dodge boys? It was never proved that they were using it. But it did look suspicious.

1968 Barracuda 360/727 11.20 @ 121 mph 421 rwhp
1985 Harley Sportster Bobber
2006 Ram 2500 sport - The Cudahlr
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55123
03/18/08 08:52 PM
NC
DCM71cuda Offline
pro stock
DCM71cuda  Offline
pro stock

NC
Quote:

Quote:

I googled it: http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1547&Itemid=24

Dont believe everything you read,WHERE IS HIS PROOF.That magazine article is there opinion.

Sounds to me like somebody was ticked that their scheme wasn't good enough.

Seems to me, this is like the Kennedsy assassination....some people are convinced that their version of the "truth" is correct, even without any evidence to prove it.

What is amazing [and maybe it should be commended] is that if the N2O allegations were true, that nobody has EVER blown the secret.

Were they cheating....who knows? Anybody at the top levels is going to actively look for any advantage they can get.

I will say that I know quite a few people that were knee deep in the Chrysler race program in that era...and I have never heard anything to confirm the Mopar "nitrous" program.....

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: BobR] #55124
sing sing
U
unknown Offline
mopar
unknown  Offline
mopar
U

sing sing
Quote:

Quote:

fixed

I agree that the Dodge Boys weren't alone. I do know for a fact that the blocks that were supposedly vandalized weren't the only of those blocks in existence. Really, who tools up to build 4 blocks. I guess there are some of you still in denial. -Bob

Who said there were only 4 blocks made?

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55125
03/18/08 08:59 PM
03/18/08 08:59 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
Pat Musi said the Dodge Boys sprayed the dry sump with nitrous for the advantage many years ago

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: bigdad] #55126
03/18/08 09:06 PM
03/18/08 09:06 PM
ohio
D
dbran451 Offline
mopar
dbran451  Offline
mopar
D

ohio
Quote:

I really don't know why this topic needs to show
Here are TWO facts

Darrell is retired ..

Scott is gone ..

I enjoyed and cheered for both and Their
autographed photo poster hangs proudly in my garage

Live long DA and RIP Scott

Let let them both be .. [/quot

200%

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55127
03/18/08 09:10 PM
03/18/08 09:10 PM
sing sing
U
unknown Offline
mopar
unknown  Offline
mopar
U

sing sing
Don't get me wrong I am not ticked at all - In my opinion it would be pretty hard to get all those parts past NHRA tech, nitrous bottle/batteries, nitrous hoses, cylinoids, activation switch (supposedly hidden under gas pedal). Some say the system was hiding under the hood scoop - yeah right. So how did they plumb all this into the intake manifold without it being seen????

Some say a small amount of nitrous was fogged into the top of the carbs. That is only good for 5 horsepower or so. So you are saying that their engines were only down 5 hp compared to the GM's - Sorry don't believe it!

Bob Glidden was the one who complained about other teams supposedly using nitrous and that is why NHRA put the no nitrous back into the rule book.

That fact of the matter Bob's 429 Boss motor was no longer competitive. Once again, were they cheating? I don't know, but let's get the facts straight

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55128
03/18/08 09:21 PM
03/18/08 09:21 PM
Oconomowoc, WI.
C
Cudahlr Offline
mopar
Cudahlr  Offline
mopar
C

Oconomowoc, WI.
On Billy Gliddens car I know for a fact that the lines were molded into the hood and the fogged into the scoop, as far as a horsepower advantage? Who knows.

1968 Barracuda 360/727 11.20 @ 121 mph 421 rwhp
1985 Harley Sportster Bobber
2006 Ram 2500 sport - The Cudahlr
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55129
03/18/08 09:31 PM
03/18/08 09:31 PM
Northeast, Arkansas
D
Dodgeman67 Offline
super stock
Dodgeman67  Offline
super stock
D

Northeast, Arkansas
I liked them both, and agree they should be left alone.

Now the topic it is interesting so it gets discussed from time to time. Makes for lots of posts and opinions.

I was and still am a big mopar fan, and what was strange to me, is at the Memphis race I think it was, there was a sign if I am not mistaken that said the rule was NO Nitrous allowed in Pro Stock, well wasn't that the race the cars were pulled and then the next week the blocks were destroyed? Something smelled a little fishy?

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55130
03/18/08 09:41 PM
03/18/08 09:41 PM
Wheels up, MO
N
nhramark Offline
master
nhramark  Offline
master
N

Wheels up, MO
Quote:

Don't get me wrong I am not ticked at all - In my opinion it would be pretty hard to get all those parts past NHRA tech, nitrous bottle/batteries, nitrous hoses, cylinoids, activation switch (supposedly hidden under gas pedal). Some say the system was hiding under the hood scoop - yeah right. So how did they plumb all this into the intake manifold without it being seen????

Bob Glidden was the one who complained about other teams supposedly using nitrous and that is why NHRA put the no nitrous back into the rule book.

Once again, were they cheating? I don't know, but let's get the facts straight

Bob Glidden also said at the time that NHRA's tech officials couldn't find a nitrous system if they were looking right at a blue bottle with an NOS decal on it. I guess his son went out and proved it.

We will never know the answer to this. One side says there is no absolute proof, the other side believes there is so much circumstantial evidence that it's obvious. Nobody is going to change their mind at this point.

For me, I believe there's no way one guy got off all those shots in that time frame with that rifle....... No way.

[image]http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/nhramark1/library/Racing[/image] 9.100 @ 150 mph 5.780 @ 120 mph
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55131
03/18/08 09:48 PM
03/18/08 09:48 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
I don't know what really happened and I feel pretty strongly that no one on this board knows what really happened. Only the ones directly involved with the program would know one way or the other and I doubt they will ever have much to say about it, or have confided in casual acquaintances or buddies.

On the subject of hidden nitrous, that would be easy. The small amount needed to gain an advantage, would mean hiding and finding a way to get it in, would be fairly easy, especially since NHRA was likely not actively seeking hidden systems. A shot at the top of the carbs would deliver well over the 5hp somebody here stated. A good fog over the carbs, coupled with the tendency of carbs to get rich down track anyway, you could get a substantial top end charge with some proper carb tuning. The supposed "nitrous backfire" picture on the cover of SS&DI is most likely a non issue, just fuels the rumors. "IF" and I use the term "if" they were spraying, they would probably not spray off the line. Pro-Stockers are hard enough to launch, without the added punch of nitrous, plus the system they would have been able to hide, would be more beneficial down track vs the hit. Like I said, I don't know what really happened, but do have a good idea of what it would take to do it, how to apply it and how to hide it.

My thoughts on Darrells personal problems mirror most of the others here. He was a good guy, great driver, who made some bad choices or got mixed up with the wrong crowd. He admitted his wrong doing, paid the price and moved on. I respect him for that, more than his feats on the track. We have millionaire movie stars doing this crap everyday and committing suicide and it is always "poor so and so". A racer does it and he is a punk and a loser. Some people need to look at their own history before casting stones.

Monte

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55132
03/18/08 10:03 PM
03/18/08 10:03 PM
USA
F
FY1CUDA Offline
master
FY1CUDA  Offline
master
F

USA
David,
A voice of reason!

Think about this logic as well;

All NHRA people? Corrupt, they all kept the facts quiet.
Even the NHRA people that hated the fact that Mopar was kicking their beloved Chevy, Pontiacs and Fords Butts!
Naa, if given the chance to make the Mopar team / people look bad and proven to be cheaters, Yep, they kept their mouths shut! Even after all these years.

Even that guy /Wife or X / Girlfriend or X OR ANYONE that could make all the X whatevers (that would have been involved), or the whole Mopar World look bad for cheating
by coming forward with proof, has never said a word or brought the evidence forward. That person or these people could be heros or at least! make someone they now despise,look really, really bad, has kept silent, after all these years.

All the race crew? Corrupt, no one said a word. Even after all these years.

The Police who investigated the break-in? Oh yeah! They kept the fact that it was a setup all quiet, even at the risk of perjury charges and getting themselves in trouble.
And we all know that there was not one Police Officer that was a Chevy guy, that would have loved to reveal the truth, if he knew it and had the proof! Even after all these years.

Now the big picture! After all these years, every person that would have had any knowledge of the truth / facts, kept their mouths shut as well as their co-workers, family members, friends of thiers who they would have shown the "FACTS" they had, to prove the Mopar Team was in fact using juice.

I strongly think that had their been proof / factual evidence someone out there would have gladly brought forward this information and made them selves look like heroes to all the Chevy / Ford / Poncho / Olds masses.

It's a huge, right wing conspiracy! Or at least Anti Mopar conspirancy.

It is encumbent on the accuser/s to prove their case. If not? It never goes to the Prosecutor, much less a trial.

You all hate the speculators for driving the price of Oil up! Why so quick to not condemn the speculators who accuse our Mopar brothers.
I don't get sucked into bandwagon jumpers on, I wait for the facts and then make judgements. I for one would love to see the proof! It would finally put all this crap to rest forever! It is what it is! All speculation at this point! Nothing more! Nothing less!

In a court of law, the only thing about this whole issue that would hold water, would be defamation, libel or slander suits.

I for one, would love to see some facts / proof, instead of all the hear say and speculation or my buddy used to work for so and so and he told me.................

That's about all I have to say, regardless of worth!

BTW - Here are 2 facts! 1- Billy Glidden admitted to his Dad and NHRA AND SHOWED HOW HE DID IT!

2 - Eckman got caught, because his tank exploded out of the car and tons of people in the pits had to Dodge the parts and obviously witness to the whole event.

Hide juice? Sure that's easy! Make it be consistant and not be noticed event after event, in different weather, different track surfaces and all the other variables, not so easy.

All fun to discuss and banter about! So far, you accusers have had no facts! Court adjourned until proof is brought forward!

No ones minds will be changed until facts / proof is finally served up. Have fun!

Chuck West

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: DV8] #55133
03/18/08 10:06 PM
03/18/08 10:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, I dont know about you guys but I sleep much better at night knowing Warren Johnson and Greg Anderson would never cheat.... As a matter of fact a guy down at WalMart told me NO driver in Nascar has ever cheated...

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Monte_Smith] #55134
03/18/08 10:16 PM
03/18/08 10:16 PM
High Plains of South Dakota
O
olwhite64 Offline
mopar
olwhite64  Offline
mopar
O

High Plains of South Dakota

Darrell and Scott were my heros in high school; met them both and they lived up to that status by both being really gracious guys. That's rare.

And to all of the glass-house dwellers out there, as far as their personal problems in their personal lives, well, that's really none of anybody's goddamn business.

Miss them both, but would give anything to see Darrell climb into a racecar again.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: olwhite64] #55135
03/18/08 10:29 PM
03/18/08 10:29 PM
Louisville, MS
Dustedu Offline
super stock
Dustedu  Offline
super stock

Louisville, MS
Darrell can drive the duster any time he wants!

And all you haters kiss my boody!

by the way didnt Kurt's engine explode in the pits due to nitrous? I recall Warren being pissed at his son for quite awhile for admitting/getting caught! I dont know who was cheating and dont care Darrell was a superior driver, My wife and i went to the track to see him every chance we had,
LET IT GO!

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: DV8] #55136
03/18/08 10:34 PM
03/18/08 10:34 PM
Williamsport, PA
Kingy Offline
Royal Pain
Kingy  Offline
Royal Pain

Williamsport, PA
I had heard a rumor that Darrell had retired because of a chronic bad back and it was aggravated by the tire shake and vibration. Don't know if there was anything to it.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: olwhite64] #55137
03/18/08 10:37 PM
03/18/08 10:37 PM
Weatherford, Texas
RapidusMaximus Offline
top fuel
RapidusMaximus  Offline
top fuel

Weatherford, Texas
...Darrell Alderman is/was a great driver and probably a good person who may have may a few bad personal choices but to call him a punk as cudadoug did is WAY outa line...I'd love to see Darrel driving again...If not I wish him all good wishes with his kids and grandkids...race on Darrell...

1968 Plymouth GTX
1974 Dodge P/U Long Bed Stepside 318
2019 Ram 2500 6.4, auto, 4WD
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Monte_Smith] #55138
03/18/08 10:40 PM
03/18/08 10:40 PM
sing sing
U
unknown Offline
mopar
unknown  Offline
mopar
U

sing sing
Quote:

I don't know what really happened and I feel pretty strongly that no one on this board knows what really happened. Only the ones directly involved with the program would know one way or the other and I doubt they will ever have much to say about it, or have confided in casual acquaintances or buddies.

On the subject of hidden nitrous, that would be easy. The small amount needed to gain an advantage, would mean hiding and finding a way to get it in, would be fairly easy, especially since NHRA was likely not actively seeking hidden systems. A shot at the top of the carbs would deliver well over the 5hp somebody here stated. A good fog over the carbs, coupled with the tendency of carbs to get rich down track anyway, you could get a substantial top end charge with some proper carb tuning. The supposed "nitrous backfire" picture on the cover of SS&DI is most likely a non issue, just fuels the rumors. "IF" and I use the term "if" they were spraying, they would probably not spray off the line. Pro-Stockers are hard enough to launch, without the added punch of nitrous, plus the system they would have been able to hide, would be more beneficial down track vs the hit. Like I said, I don't know what really happened, but do have a good idea of what it would take to do it, how to apply it and how to hide it.

My thoughts on Darrells personal problems mirror most of the others here. He was a good guy, great driver, who made some bad choices or got mixed up with the wrong crowd. He admitted his wrong doing, paid the price and moved on. I respect him for that, more than his feats on the track. We have millionaire movie stars doing this crap everyday and committing suicide and it is always "poor so and so". A racer does it and he is a punk and a loser. Some people need to look at their own history before casting stones.

Monte

OK, Warren and Bob were very vocal in crying foul over the Dodges winning. You bet your a$$ NHRA tecs were all over those cars. Warren even went as far as showing NHRA tec guys were one might be hiding a nitrous system.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: unknown] #55139
03/18/08 10:57 PM
03/18/08 10:57 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Rusty and Billy, went from the outhouse to the penthouse on nitrous. You think NHRA did not take notice of that and maybe give that car a hard look in tech. They (NHRA) never found it as far as I know, but the Gliddens did admit it and showed how they did it.....So what does all this prove, same as all the other speculation, nothing. Refer back to the first paragraph of my last post. I don't know the truth and I am sure no one on this board does either. I never said they WERE using. I said, I saw how it could easily be done. WJ also said the NHRA techs could not find it, if the bottle was blue and said NOS on it. Now that, I do believe.

Monte

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Monte_Smith] #55140
03/18/08 11:05 PM
03/18/08 11:05 PM
sing sing
U
unknown Offline
mopar
unknown  Offline
mopar
U

sing sing
Quote:

Rusty and Billy, went from the outhouse to the penthouse on nitrous. You think NHRA did not take notice of that and maybe give that car a hard look in tech. They (NHRA) never found it as far as I know, but the Gliddens did admit it and showed how they did it.....So what does all this prove, same as all the other speculation, nothing. Refer back to the first paragraph of my last post. I don't know the truth and I am sure no one on this board does either. I never said they WERE using. I said, I saw how it could easily be done. WJ also said the NHRA techs could not find it, if the bottle was blue and said NOS on it. Now that, I do believe.

Monte

Yea I guess your right, maybe you could help me hide a nitrous kit on my sweeper so my boss cant find it.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #55141
03/18/08 11:19 PM
03/18/08 11:19 PM
Tennessee
727builder Offline
super stock
727builder  Offline
super stock

Tennessee
Quote:

I also understand..Darrel has a bad back..
the riggors of prostock...took its toll on his back..
if youve ever had back problems..i am sure its understandable..
when every other aspect of your life is Pain..
and driving makes it worse..
he had to quit..
Ive met him and talked to him yrs ago..many times
a humble guy and what i percieved as a guys guy..
construction,pu truck driving..hard working type of guy..
as far as his drug use..who didnt use drugs back in the 80's not saying it was right..just that it was a differnt time back then.. and its a slippery slope..as always.
He made good on it...thats all that matters in my book.
as far as Eckman.i didnt think he was banned for life...he just has to settle his fine..?
thats what ive always thought..its like 30 grand
not sure if there is interest..or not?
i could be wrong on the reason he cant drive?

as far as today...comeon..all i hear about is how G/A is using nitrous..and yadda yadda..
when your on top...and dominating..thats what the guys who cant get it done do..
they whine and complain and make up shegaggle..
all i know is..
finally mopars are making the mph and apperently power..
fingers crossed..
cheapst

Well said!!!
I became a fan when i heard dodge was coming back. And drove down to Gainesville to be there for their first runs. Think it went like a 7.47 but didnt make the show. I think he was punished enough on the drug stuff. Glad he straightened his life up after that. I Will never forget him putting a 007 light on Warren one year at Atlanta.
Kurt was already on the trailer and him and his girlfriend/wife was standing behind us in the stands. Oh did we give em hell.
I Will Always be a fan!!!! Guess that's why my car # this year will be 398.

4285223-raceopics007.jpg (285 downloads)
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11