12/28/09 08:57 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

And another little hidden golden nugget to this whole CDL mess that has been seldom mentioned, In Fla, Nebraska (ask me how I know), and I assume many other states, you are allowed to take a driving school in lieu of having a conviction/points entered on your driving record for minor non accident offenses, like speeding under 15mph over the limit,etc. However if you HAVE a CDL, no matter WHAT you were driving, whether on personal time or not, no matter where you are at, NO driving school, & full recording of points, no exceptions. Now with your CDL staus and new and improved commercial insurance rates, the points sure take on a nice new meaning.

Adding to this,in Pa. fines and points double if you have a CDL licence.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547633
12/28/09 11:23 AM
12/28/09 11:23 AM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

OK here is another Monkey Wrench in the whole mix.

Just saw where a Guy got his Class-B license, and stated that it is a Class-B and not a CDL Class-B.

He also stated that there is a Difference in a CDL and a non CDL even though they are all Class-A or B and allow for the same weight limits??

I am definitely going to do some research on that 1.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547634
12/28/09 11:41 AM
12/28/09 11:41 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

I think I maybe see where a lot of people are confused and I may still be myself. It appears to me too many are trying to criss-cross all the aspects of Licensing, Vehicle registration and DOT registration which all seem to be separate BUT related subjects.
I'll see if I can break it down and maybe simplify it?

1: CDL- Driver's License (this is the licensing of the Individual)

2: Vehicle Registrattion: This is the Registration and Licensing of the Vehicle to get your Plates/Tags within your state. I have yet to find anywhere that anyone but the State you Lic/Reg with regulates how your Plates should read. There is nothing on the FMCSA web-page at all about it.

3: USDOT # : Number required if you operate your vehicle as business. There are some states that require it for ANY vehicle Registered as a Commercial Motor Vehicle. SEE #2 above

4: Operating Authority: Not 100% on this but know it is separate from a USDOT # but related at the same time.

I still haven't gotten it all worked out for my own situation, but I have found that if I try to handle each aspect individual as possible it is a lot less confusing.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: DakFink] #547635
12/28/09 12:40 PM
12/28/09 12:40 PM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

OK here is another Monkey Wrench in the whole mix.

Just saw where a Guy got his Class-B license, and stated that it is a Class-B and not a CDL Class-B.

He also stated that there is a Difference in a CDL and a non CDL even though they are all Class-A or B and allow for the same weight limits??

I am definitely going to do some research on that 1.

Apparently there is some legitimacy to this statement. Tx does do this.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf

See page 7 or 1-4 of the above PDF.

The guy that brought it to my attention was also from somewhere up North so that is 2 states that do it.

From what I gather you will get a Class-A license BUT it will NOT have COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE printed on it which is required for a CDL.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: DakFink] #547636
12/28/09 03:12 PM
12/28/09 03:12 PM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Well it looks like the Class-A only applies if you are a Farmer or using a Recreational Vehicle.

I did find that a Motorhome and Recreational Vehicle are 2 different entities.

Motorhome has to have it's own Power Unit.
Recreational Vehicle can be towed.

Both must have living quarters that meet certain guidelines, but appear to be the same for both.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547637
12/28/09 05:58 PM
12/28/09 05:58 PM
Wheels up, MO
N
nhramark Offline
master
nhramark  Offline
master
N

Wheels up, MO
Quote:

Quote:

And another little hidden golden nugget to this whole CDL mess that has been seldom mentioned, In Fla, Nebraska (ask me how I know), and I assume many other states, you are allowed to take a driving school in lieu of having a conviction/points entered on your driving record for minor non accident offenses, like speeding under 15mph over the limit,etc. However if you HAVE a CDL, no matter WHAT you were driving, whether on personal time or not, no matter where you are at, NO driving school, & full recording of points, no exceptions. Now with your CDL staus and new and improved commercial insurance rates, the points sure take on a nice new meaning.

So true! A guy I worked with got a dwi on a Saturday night a couple years ago. Because he had a CDL, he lost his license, (and therefore his job) for 1 year. No negotiating, no leniency for 1st time offense, 1 full year.

Then just to pour salt in his wounds after his year off, he was required to RE-TAKE the ENTIRE CDL licensing process to get his license back. This includes having to rent a truck to perform the required 'walk around' and driving portion of the testing. This for a guy who was originally 'grandfathered' into the driving portion of his original CDL because he was already working his job when DOT enacted the CDL idea.

Keep in this in mind too: his dwi infraction was off the clock, in his own vehicle. Not exactly my idea of "fair and equal treatment under the law."

Because it is now illegal to have more than one license, if you decide to get a CDL to tow your rig, you could find yourself walking to your day job if you mess up with DOT.

[image]http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/nhramark1/library/Racing[/image] 9.100 @ 150 mph 5.780 @ 120 mph
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: nhramark] #547638
12/28/09 06:34 PM
12/28/09 06:34 PM
SW pa
G
goldenlancer Offline
mopar
goldenlancer  Offline
mopar
G

SW pa
Bob with all the trucking we have between us there is always away around all this mess. around the coups and DOT just don't get caught.

N/SS
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: goldenlancer] #547639
12/28/09 07:03 PM
12/28/09 07:03 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Bob with all the trucking we have between us there is always away around all this mess. around the coups and DOT just don't get caught.

Bill,you know me ,locally ,I just pull right in,tell them"I'am BG and I'll do what ever I want,give me the ticket and while they are busting me,5 more BGR trailer fly by the scales The last big ticket at I-79,the local magistrate dismissed it and told me "Thanks for keeping Britt #1 in our division and #8 in the country"obviously a Mizia Racing and dragrace fan.The last big fine in one of the big tri axle tractor and triaxle lowboys was $11,500 at New Stanton.The magistrate ask me why a State senator and local legislator had interest in it,I told him I needed all the help I could get reduced to $1500 Got busted with the triaxle dump on a Saturady morning awhile back,handed the DOT insp. my load ticket for 85,000# was only legal for 73,280#.He said"boy you got a lot of balls,don't you have another ticket?"I said "No sir,my first load for today"He says how do you want it(the ticket) on gross or axle weight? I said which is cheaper.He said go to the ramp and make this load legal. I said ok,how?He said keep an eye on me I get real busy here. There's a lot more

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547640
12/28/09 08:35 PM
12/28/09 08:35 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
BG,you soundin' like a connected NY politition

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: hemi-itis] #547641
12/28/09 08:54 PM
12/28/09 08:54 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
BG , I hope none of those fellows read these post!! You'll be setting in the pokey next time.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: DakFink] #547642
12/28/09 09:15 PM
12/28/09 09:15 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
This was found on the New York DMV Website::EXEMPTIONS
Drivers of the following vehicles that otherwise meet the definition of a CMV are exempt from the
CDL requirement:
 A vehicle owned and controlled by a farmer that has a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs and is
used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm products within 150 miles of the farm
 A vehicle primarily designed for purposes other than the transportation of persons or property
(commonly referred to as Special Purpose Commercial) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or less or,
if the GVWR is more than 26,000 lbs, not able to be operated at normal highway speeds
 Fire and police vehicles engaged in emergency operations in New York State
 Military vehicles or combination of vehicles operated by members of the armed forces
 Personal vehicles (including rental vehicles up to 26,000 lbs GVWR) when operated strictly and
exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-commercial purposes {{NOTE:personal & non-commercial!!}} {{ This I found while pokin' around }} Do You Need A DOT Number?

The laden weight of your truck and trailer is important as you may fall into the category of needing a U. S. or state D.O.T. (Department of Transportation) number or CDL (commercial drivers license).

Do you need a DOT Number, logbook or Commercial Drivers License if you don’t haul horses for money?

If your vehicle or combination of vehicles has a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) or GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) of less than 10,001 lbs., you do not need to be concerned about these things. However, if your rig has a GVWR or GCVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more, you must make some decisions. (The GVWR is determined by the manufacturer and should be marked on your trailer and your tow vehicle. The GCVWR can be obtained by adding the two together. A two-horse trailer and a pickup truck can easily be rated over 10,001 lbs.).

Even if you don't haul horses for money, the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) can consider you "commercial". Operating a commercial stable, hauling horses for show (with intent to profit), rodeo, race, sale, training, or for compensation are examples of "commercial ventures" as defined by the DOT for those who are traveling interstate. Those who only travel intrastate need only be concerned with the regulations within their own state of residence. Most states have the same regulations and some have even more stringent laws.

If you fall into the commercial category, you must follow the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR). This means that you must carry a logbook, medical card, certain safety equipment (such as flares, triangles, fire extinguisher etc.) and your vehicle must be equipped with certain features such as required lights, safety chains, brakes, and breakaway brake. You must also have a federal inspection sticker, ID number, and a sign on your truck.

For interstate travel, a commercial drivers license is only necessary for driving a vehicle or combination of vehicles over 26,001 lbs. Some states have additional classified licenses for those who drive vehicles or combinations under 26.001 lbs.
Farm exemptions are available, but if you have a farm plate, you may not travel more than 100 miles from your farm.

Explanation of GVW, GVWR, GCVWR, and GW (weight terms for your truck and trailer)

GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) and GW (Gross Weight) are interchangeable terms meaning the actual weight of the vehicle (trailer) and its complete load. This weight can be determined by loading the horses, tack, feed, and hay etc. into the fully equipped trailer (mats, spare tire, etc.) and taking it to a truck scale to have it weighed. Most gravel yards or truck stops have truck scales.

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weigh Rating) is the value specified by the manufacturer as the recommended maximum loaded weight of a single vehicle. For a trailer this value is determined by the axle capacity and the coupler capacity. For example, a trailer will be rated at 5000 lbs. GVWR by the manufacturer if it has two 2500 lb. axles and a 2 inch ball coupler that is rated 5000 lbs. Loading the trailer to excess of the GVWR is not only unsafe, but is illegal.

GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) is the value specified by the manufacturer as the recommended maximum loaded weight of a combination of vehicles. (The GVWR of the tow vehicle plus the GVWR of the trailer.) In the absence of a value specified by the manufacturer, GCVWR will be determined by adding the GVWR of the power unit and the total weight of the towed unit and any load thereon.

If your vehicle or combination of vehicles has a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) or GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) of less than 10,001 lbs., you do not need to be concerned about these things. However, if your rig has a GVWR or GCVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more, you must make some decisions. (The GVWR is determined by the manufacturer and should be marked on your trailer and your tow vehicle. The GCVWR can be obtained by adding the two together. A two-horse trailer and a pickup truck can easily be rated over 10,001 lbs.).

Even if you don't haul horses for money, the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) can consider you "commercial". Operating a commercial stable, hauling horses for show (with intent to profit), rodeo, race, sale, training, or for compensation are examples of "commercial ventures" as defined by the DOT for those who are traveling interstate. Those who only travel intrastate need only be concerned with the regulations within their own state of residence. Most states have the same regulations and some have even more stringent laws.

If you fall into the commercial category, you must follow the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR). This means that you must carry a logbook, medical card, certain safety equipment (such as flares, triangles, fire extinguisher etc.) and your vehicle must be equipped with certain features such as required lights, safety chains, brakes, and breakaway brake. You must also have a federal inspection sticker, ID number, and a sign on your truck.

For interstate travel, a commercial drivers license is only necessary for driving a vehicle or combination of vehicles over 26,001 lbs. Some states have additional classified licenses for those who drive vehicles or combinations under 26.001 lbs.
Farm exemptions are available, but if you have a farm plate, you may not travel more than 100 miles from your farm.

Each state has a different weigh station policy. All commercial vehicles must stop, but sometimes even non-commercial vehicles must pull in. As a general rule, if the sign says "All Trucks" must pull in, it probably means pickup trucks too. Some states want to see vehicles that have "commercial" plates even if they are not classified "commercial" by use. They may want to check vehicle registration, driver's license, weight, or safety equipment and often they will want to see the health papers of the horses or do a brand inspection. Most of the time, the weigh station personnel will be too busy with big trucks to bother with you and they will probably wave you on. Some people have even been told they should not have stopped. Horse trailers fall into the cracks, and any enforcement official has the option to enforce the regulations as he sees fit. Any sign that says "Vehicles with Trailers" or with "Livestock" means you must pull in. In this case, they will want to inspect the horses. If you do not stop, they may pursue you and bring you back. The fines can be very steep and you can be held for a very inconvenient period of time.

Explanation of Unladen Weight

Unladen Weight is the actual weight of the trailer as it is equipped with mats, spare, etc. but empty of its load. This weight may be stated on the Certificate of Origin or the title of the trailer.

It is important to know the GVWR or the GW of my vehicle and trailer?

Most states require trailers to be registered by weight. Some states require registration by GVWR or GVW whichever is greater and some states require unladen weight. Other states have a dividing weight that determines license plate classification. Whichever your state requires, you must know the weight of your trailer. In most cases, if the weight of your rig exceeds the weight on the registration, you can be cited. I am still searching DOT websites for the requirement pertaining to the weekend warrior that owns a pick-up and an enclosed trailer.

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: nhramark] #547643
12/28/09 09:17 PM
12/28/09 09:17 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Online content
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Online Content
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So true! A guy I worked with got a dwi on a Saturday night a couple years ago. Because he had a CDL, he lost his license, (and therefore his job) for 1 year. No negotiating, no leniency for 1st time offense, 1 full year.

Then just to pour salt in his wounds after his year off, he was required to RE-TAKE the ENTIRE CDL licensing process to get his license back. This includes having to rent a truck to perform the required 'walk around' and driving portion of the testing. This for a guy who was originally 'grandfathered' into the driving portion of his original CDL because he was already working his job when DOT enacted the CDL idea.

Keep in this in mind too: his dwi infraction was off the clock, in his own vehicle. Not exactly my idea of "fair and equal treatment under the law."

Because it is now illegal to have more than one license, if you decide to get a CDL to tow your rig, you could find yourself walking to your day job if you mess up with DOT.

Good points on the DUI aspect, I;m not a drinker so I don't pay a lot of attention to it, but I believe DUI with a CDL is .04%, like 2 beers?, and there is zero tolerance, whichs means vehicle is parked if any amount is detected, so no more mouthwash.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: hemi-itis] #547644
12/28/09 09:21 PM
12/28/09 09:21 PM
SW pa
G
goldenlancer Offline
mopar
goldenlancer  Offline
mopar
G

SW pa

N/SS
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547645
12/28/09 09:46 PM
12/28/09 09:46 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Quote:

Bill,you know me ,locally ,I just pull right in,tell them"I'am BG and I'll do what ever I want,give me the ticket and while they are busting me,5 more BGR trailer fly by the scales The last big ticket at I-79,the local magistrate dismissed it and told me "Thanks for keeping Britt #1 in our division and #8 in the country"obviously a Mizia Racing and dragrace fan.The last big fine in one of the big tri axle tractor and triaxle lowboys was $11,500 at New Stanton.The magistrate ask me why a State senator and local legislator had interest in it,I told him I needed all the help I could get reduced to $1500 Got busted with the triaxle dump on a Saturady morning awhile back,handed the DOT insp. my load ticket for 85,000# was only legal for 73,280#.He said"boy you got a lot of balls,don't you have another ticket?"I said "No sir,my first load for today"He says how do you want it(the ticket) on gross or axle weight? I said which is cheaper.He said go to the ramp and make this load legal. I said ok,how?He said keep an eye on me I get real busy here. There's a lot more

Holy cow Bob, what does all that mean in English?

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: rowin4] #547646
12/28/09 09:57 PM
12/28/09 09:57 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Quote:

BG , I hope none of those fellows read these post!! You'll be setting in the pokey next time.

I doubt it if they are here,reading this post,,,,,,,,,,,,,they would get the next freshinin'' for a case of ,a little and some pizza

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: hemi-itis] #547647
12/28/09 10:42 PM
12/28/09 10:42 PM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
Quote:

Quote:

I doubt it if they are here,reading this post,,,,,,,,,,,,,they would get the next freshinin'' for a case of ,a little and some pizza

I use to have better luck in NY with the court system as far as tickets.
For some reason here in Florida, its a$$ backwards, These judges want to put the working
man in jail for nonsense. I was transporting a car
trailer like to months ago, stop for a cafe cubano
and almost ended up in jail, for putting a transport
tag on the trailer. I had to get 1 of my flatbed TT
to [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]
load it on top of the truck, and they confiscated my tag.
went to court and decided to plead no contest to get it over with.
I thought it would be like NY pay a surcharge, I was wrong.
Turns out I had to pay court fees which added up to almost $400.00.
Worst part is I wasn't guilty, I just didn't want to have to go back,
and waste another day, go figure.
Towing ain't easy

5695057-indawater.jpg (49 downloads)
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B1KILLER] #547648
12/28/09 10:46 PM
12/28/09 10:46 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

For some reason here in Florida, its a$$ backwards, These judges want to put the working
Towing ain't easy

Was it legal to use the transit plate on the trailer?

People around here will try to use dealer plates on their personal items not titled to the dealer, and that's not legal.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Prostock] #547649
12/28/09 11:08 PM
12/28/09 11:08 PM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Towing ain't easy

People around here will try to use dealer plates on their personal items not titled to the dealer, and that's not legal.

No he tried to claim I was using it for personal
use, when I stopped to buy a coffee. This is a cop
I use to see every morning when I would stop their
to get my coffee, it was his hang out. I don't see
him hanging out their anymore after I filled a complaint,
for harassment, for all the threats he made towards
me. He had me out their looking like I had just
finished killing someone. I did get my tag back
after I paid the court fees
Also I had a transport tag, the laws are very much different
then a Dealer tag, lot more freedom with a dealer
tag

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Prostock] #547650
12/28/09 11:15 PM
12/28/09 11:15 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Towing ain't easy

Alot of people think you can slap that dealer plate on ANYTHING and use it.Whatever that plate is on better be in booked {entered} in the dealers MV log or Loose the plate for awhile and some HEFTEY FINES.Explain something like this to your buddie you borrowed the plate from

5695124-IMG_2463.JPG (74 downloads)

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: hemi-itis] #547651
12/29/09 06:14 AM
12/29/09 06:14 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

OK from all the research I have done for TEXAS.

I can get a Class-A non-CDL license for operating a vehicle that would be classified as a CMV as long as it is a n RV. AND Fill-out a CDL-2 (Rev11/30) and Check #4. Still have to test and the renewal time is longer and the license cheaper.

ftp://ftp.txdps.state.tx.us/forms/cdl-2.pdf

Now that I am licensed!!!???

To License my Vehicle/s.
Register The Truck: I can leave it as a Personal Vehicle or have it registered as a TRUCK.
in TX TRUCK = a Vehicle designed to haul more than just trailers upon the chassis. You can pull Trailers or Travel Trailers with it BUT NOT Semi Trailers (Token Trailers, In Texas). All the TRUCK License would do is allow me to increase the GCWR over the factory recommended 23000lbs as long as I don't exceed the GVWR of 11,000lbs on the truck itself.

There IS A Semi-Truck license as well That allows you to pull any trailer. And is for Vehicle designed ONLY to pull trailers.

Register The trailer: Texas definition of an RV includes single Vehicle and Trailers that have Living Quarters that are designed and used for Part Time Human Habitation. They issue a Travel Trailer tag for Trailer with the prescribed RV requirements(shower, Toilet, HVAC, Kitchen, Sink, etc.) Texas does also address the issue of ATV / Toy Haulers as being an RV and getting a Travel Trailer tag so long as it is used for recreational, camping, hobby use, and NOT used for Permanent Habitation, Habitation for the conduct of business, or to further a business or commerce.
They do specify that a TRAVEL TRAILER is not, an enclosed trailer, utility trailer or Cargo Trailer.

So if:
1: I get a Non-CDL Class-A license
2: Register my 3500 as a TRUCK with a 17000/+ GCWR (that's highest number Texas uses in that class)
3:Buy a 40' Trailer with living Quarters that has the required equipment to classify as an RV and get Travel Trailer tags.

I should be good to go as long as I do not Live in it as Permanent Housing, Use it for any Business or Commerce.

Only GREY area is the Drag Racing itself???
I personally do it for Recreation, fun Hobby, socializing!!!

The occasional Pay-Out would be nice if I got that lucky. BUT that is where the issue seems to be.

I'm going to do more research on this one!!!
(Commerce, Business and Winnings)

The heck with Webster i'm going to see if I came find the legal definition of Commerce and how Competitive/Luck winnings apply if they even do?

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10