I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In Florida, as long as it's a private truck and not a cab/chassis, that is correct. There is not a weight pull limit on a pickup truck license plate, only a GVW.

That's interesting. I live in Kissimmee and they told me I have to register the truck and the trailer combined weight together on my truck tag. So my truck is registered as a combined GVW of 19,999. That is for my truck a 2005 Ram 3500 DRW and a 24' enclosed trailer. If you could tell me where to find the info you have showing other wise it would sure lower my registration fees a lot!

Same thing here in Daytona. I was told to tag for combined weight of truck and trailer. Trailer tag is based on registered manufactured weight. So I also got one for 19,999. It's "private", but it falls into the truck category that has its registration renewal in December instead of your birthday.

For reference: 2004.4 diesel dually, 60 gal. aux tank (full), topper w/load of tires, parts & tools, 26' Pace trailer w/dual 6,000 axles, cabinets, 3,360 lb race car, spare trans, rear & fuel. Came in at between 19 & 20 with the weight split pretty close when I weighed at a truck stop a few years ago.

I just realized....Is that double-taxation? Trailer is tagged for manufactured weight, then truck is tagged for overall total weight INCLUDING the trailer!

Its not a tax, its a fee!

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Prostock] #547613
12/21/09 03:59 PM
12/21/09 03:59 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In Florida, as long as it's a private truck and not a cab/chassis, that is correct. There is not a weight pull limit on a pickup truck license plate, only a GVW.

That's interesting. I live in Kissimmee and they told me I have to register the truck and the trailer combined weight together on my truck tag. So my truck is registered as a combined GVW of 19,999. That is for my truck a 2005 Ram 3500 DRW and a 24' enclosed trailer. If you could tell me where to find the info you have showing other wise it would sure lower my registration fees a lot!

Same thing here in Daytona. I was told to tag for combined weight of truck and trailer. Trailer tag is based on registered manufactured weight. So I also got one for 19,999. It's "private", but it falls into the truck category that has its registration renewal in December instead of your birthday.

For reference: 2004.4 diesel dually, 60 gal. aux tank (full), topper w/load of tires, parts & tools, 26' Pace trailer w/dual 6,000 axles, cabinets, 3,360 lb race car, spare trans, rear & fuel. Came in at between 19 & 20 with the weight split pretty close when I weighed at a truck stop a few years ago.

I just realized....Is that double-taxation? Trailer is tagged for manufactured weight, then truck is tagged for overall total weight INCLUDING the trailer!

Its not a tax, its a fee!

Ok, "double-feed"?

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Locomotion] #547614
12/24/09 06:28 PM
12/24/09 06:28 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I am mainly involved with intrastate commerce. However I stumbled today on a "UCR" requirement I was not aware of, that does not apply to my state. It has been on the books for the past few years. No one hase mentioned it yet. They will back charge you for non compliance as I read it. It only applies to 41? states with any 10,000lb+ CMV crossing any state lines. The another nail in the coffin can be found on page #21 Question #6 IMO.

Under "Enforcement Questions"

6. A private carrier is transporting property across state lines in a one ton truck greater than 10,001 GVWR. They have never been registered with USDOT and have no USDOT number. The carrier is not registered under UCR. Should a violation be listed on this inspection report for no UCR registration?

Violation to carrier for no UCR. Refer to L1 of the Q&A.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: jcc] #547615
12/27/09 09:42 AM
12/27/09 09:42 AM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/cve/cdlmain.htm

Texas makes it a lot easier for us Dummies!!
If you can answer Yes/ No questions and click a mouse they can tell you if you need a cdl or not.

As for RV exempt?? This link doesn't apply.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: DakFink] #547616
12/27/09 10:25 AM
12/27/09 10:25 AM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Now why can't all states and the DOT have something as easy and simple as this?

Oh, I forgot.....government normally doesn't = common sense, fairness and simplicity!

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Locomotion] #547617
12/27/09 11:02 AM
12/27/09 11:02 AM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
Quote:

Oh, I forgot.....government normally doesn't = common sense, fairness and simplicity!

Looks like they slipped that one past the Texas lawyers < The little fella to the left is a Texas lawer, and he is pissed>

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: jcc] #547618
12/27/09 11:04 AM
12/27/09 11:04 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

OK!!

Let me start by saying I am IGNORANT on this subject and looking to update and learn, as I do want to get a GooseNeck to pull behind my 3500 IF I CAN.

So anything I say or state I know may be outdated and feel more than free to correct me. Try to give links to DOT/FMCSA regs if possible.

My understanding, following TX Dummie examples is this.

If you are under 26001lb single or combined you do not need a CDL.

But you can exceed 26001lb combined so long as the trailer does not exceed 10000lbs.

My cousin who is a Career Trucker told me years ago that the purpose of FMCSA was to standardize the rules and regs for CDL/Commercial from state to state and that no state could change or Alter them. In short making the rules the same State - State. Also he said that DOT Enforcement was just Federal Enforcement (FMCSA) paid by the state.???????

To me that would mean that there should be no state to state deviation for Comm/CDL Vehicles.

Now as far as non-Comm/CDL. Each state can do as they please.

DOT Numbers: I was always told you only need that to Haul for Hire or Commerce as they state it now. I know a lot of HotShots used to use their Contracting Companies DOT Number and run under their authority. They did state that even if is was a Mini-Truck if you were Hauling for Hire you have to have a DOT Number to run under.??????

Far as using a Commercial Registered Vehicle for Private use (go to Wal-Mart after getting back home from a Long Run). The way it was explained to me, That was fine as long as you still logged the mileage.?????

I see some of the links stating that you have to register a Vehicle a certain way if it meets certain criteria. OK you can go tell each state how they need to do their registration if you want. I know they will laugh you out the door. Unless it is being registered as a Commercial Vehicle then they have to follow FMCSA regs?? Right??

In TX my 3500 4x4 quad cab has the GVWR on the registration but carries a standard license plate. They still charge you extra if you exceed a certain GVWR. They go by the Factory specs.

Here in Tx you can pull Tandems with-out a CDL as long as you don't exceed the 26001Lb Limit. BUT they also tell you that is only in TX. They don't know about other places.

The way it was explained by one Trucking web page is that you can not exceed the 26001lbs with the Factory Specs of the puller and trailer without a CDL,even if you never pull 1/2 that. If the equipment can haul more than 26001lbs you have to have a CDL...

Far as the NOT FOR HIRE, as was stated?? doesn't do much for you. Many recommend it but say it doesn't do anything for you if they do decide to pull you over.???

My 2004 Ram 4x4 3500 CTD is rated a GVWR of 11,000lbs and 23,000 GCWR.

Let me see if I can get this straight?? Everyone I have talked to,says that if you get pulled over and they weigh your truck 1 axle at a time they check each axle rating and add it up. As long as you don't exceed the axle rating on each axle your good to go. So that tells me the GCWR really doesn't apply?? Cause if you know how to load a 15,000 trailer and keep the load directly on the truck to below 11,000lbs your still in compliance with each individually??? As far as GVWR?????

So?? Does the GCWR from Dodge ever come into play? If so then I could never tow anything more than 23,000lbs Gross. 11,000truck and 12,000 trailer

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Locomotion] #547619
12/27/09 11:10 AM
12/27/09 11:10 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

That's about the only thing in Texas, Gov't related that is some what simple and painless.

I think it has to do with the fact there is a lot of Farmer Influences here.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Locomotion] #547620
12/27/09 11:18 AM
12/27/09 11:18 AM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Quote:

Myron,seek,,,,,,,and you shall find,,,,,,,,http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/cdl.html,,,,,,,

5691930-IMG_2066.JPG (92 downloads)

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: DakFink] #547621
12/27/09 02:12 PM
12/27/09 02:12 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/cve/cdlmain.htm

Texas makes it a lot easier for us Dummies!!
If you can answer Yes/ No questions and click a mouse they can tell you if you need a cdl or not.

As for RV exempt?? This link doesn't apply.

First that is only for Texas CDL, and the mutli question process does not address CMV, and it seems contrary to most other states & Fed DOT rules. It's cute but I do't think accurate nor complete, of course this is a common problem and why no one seems to be able to figure it all out.
The first blaring "mistake" is it asks you if combination, then over or under 26K, but it if under it never asks if you are hauling a 10K trailer (CDL "A"), and it never asks if your are involved with commerce. Seems to mislead more then answer.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: DakFink] #547622
12/27/09 06:13 PM
12/27/09 06:13 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
We decided after my runin with DOT inspecters in Pa. to follow the requirements of the federal and state mandates.We have plated my 3500 daully for GVCW as recommended by the manufacture for 23,000,a #8 classification(was plated for 11,000#) in Pa.,my trailer is a tri-axle gooseneck and is subject to bi-annual inspection(over 10,000#GVW)It is plated for 16,000#I drive tractor trailers and certify my drivers as well,so I maintain a CDL licence and medical card.I don't know what else they could possibably require.The licence I carry is for any gross combo of 80,000#,tanker,dbl,triples,and the only thing I don't have is Hazmat,I gave that endorsment up after all the regulations following 9/11.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547623
12/27/09 06:34 PM
12/27/09 06:34 PM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
I think this year "2010" I will go out and get my CDL, I
have been flying under the radar for a long time.
DOT, is out with a vengeance, it was funny when
FHP came to do their annual inspection, and they
realized I didn't have my CDL. He kind of got on
my a$$. So the cat is out of the bag, now must take
out the time to do so.

5692681-heavy.jpg (55 downloads)
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B1KILLER] #547624
12/27/09 07:21 PM
12/27/09 07:21 PM
SW pa
G
goldenlancer Offline
mopar
goldenlancer  Offline
mopar
G

SW pa
is there any regulations for motor homes pulling a trailer? I have a class A with air brakes. and a good medical. do I have to keep a log? what about gross weight?

N/SS
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: goldenlancer] #547625
12/27/09 07:44 PM
12/27/09 07:44 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

is there any regulations for motor homes pulling a trailer? I have a class A with air brakes. and a good medical. do I have to keep a log? what about gross weight?

Bill,with your cridentials as a truck driver you should not have any problems.Having a motor home gives you a licence to kill.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547626
12/27/09 07:46 PM
12/27/09 07:46 PM
SW pa
G
goldenlancer Offline
mopar
goldenlancer  Offline
mopar
G

SW pa
Bob is it like hauling IRON?

N/SS
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: goldenlancer] #547627
12/27/09 08:04 PM
12/27/09 08:04 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Bill we are both old "Road Warriors"You with your steel and me hauling all those "Heavy Iron"Construction equipment permit loads"Untill you have pulled Laural Summit grossing 150,000# or roll off 3Mile hill at Lauralville at 125,000,with no brakes or jake,just your wit and big balls,we can keep our "Braggen Rights" One of these days I'am going to stop doing this crap and reflect on why I'am still alive.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547628
12/27/09 08:38 PM
12/27/09 08:38 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

so I maintain a CDL licence and medical card.I don't know what else they could possibably require.

A few other things such as proof of:
1. Random Drug Tests
2. 2? yrs of Drivers Hour/work/driving logs
3. DOT numbers for all vehicles
4. Daily written Safety Pre trip reports
5. Maintenence records
6. Driver license driving record checks
7. Annual driver safety instruction records
8. Adequate Insurance compliance
9. 41 State "UCR" registration
10 DOT truck inspections
10. Submit to radom safety audits and truck inspections to confirm all of above

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: jcc] #547629
12/28/09 07:31 AM
12/28/09 07:31 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

BUT where does everyone seem to miss this part of FMCSA's purpose.

COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT OF 1986

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986. The goal of the Act is to improve highway safety by ensuring that drivers of large trucks and buses are qualified to operate those vehicles and to remove unsafe and unqualified drivers from the highways. The Act retained the State's right to issue a driver's license, but established minimum national standards which States must meet when licensing CMV drivers.

The Act corrects the situation that existed prior to 1986 by making it illegal to hold more than one license and by requiring States to adopt testing and licensing standards for truck and bus drivers to check a person's ability to operate the type of vehicle he/she plans to operate.

It is important to note that the Act does not require drivers to obtain a separate Federal license; it merely requires States to upgrade their existing testing and licensing programs, if necessary, to conform with the Federal minimum standards.

The CDL program places requirements on the CMV driver, the employing motor carrier and the States.

In short that states that all states have to meet a Minimum standard. If they are more stringent so be it!!

If they have adapted it the way it is. Then there isn't much INTERPRETATION to it.

Now that I got that straight!! I do need a CDL to pull any trailer greater than 10,000lbs GVWR. Now I am going to look at the Vehicle Registration Aspect!?

I think that is where it gets confusing BUT seems to be simple to me. IF what I was told is correct. Stay within the GVWR for each axle of the Combination and you will be good. You exceed the Equipments Factory Ratings, NO Matter how it is Registered then you still fail??

I'm going to look this one up both on the Registration and Exceeding Factory Set Rating for the Puller and Trailer.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: DakFink] #547630
12/28/09 07:57 AM
12/28/09 07:57 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

BUT where does everyone seem to miss this part of FMCSA's purpose.

COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT OF 1986

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986. The goal of the Act is to improve highway safety by ensuring that drivers of large trucks and buses are qualified to operate those vehicles and to remove unsafe and unqualified drivers from the highways. The Act retained the State's right to issue a driver's license, but established minimum national standards which States must meet when licensing CMV drivers.

The Act corrects the situation that existed prior to 1986 by making it illegal to hold more than one license and by requiring States to adopt testing and licensing standards for truck and bus drivers to check a person's ability to operate the type of vehicle he/she plans to operate.

It is important to note that the Act does not require drivers to obtain a separate Federal license; it merely requires States to upgrade their existing testing and licensing programs, if necessary, to conform with the Federal minimum standards.

The CDL program places requirements on the CMV driver, the employing motor carrier and the States.

In short that states that all states have to meet a Minimum standard. If they are more stringent so be it!!

If they have adapted it the way it is. Then there isn't much INTERPRETATION to it.

Now that I got that straight!! I do need a CDL to pull any trailer greater than 10,000lbs GVWR. Now I am going to look at the Vehicle Registration Aspect!?

I think that is where it gets confusing BUT seems to be simple to me. IF what I was told is correct. Stay within the GVWR for each axle of the Combination and you will be good. You exceed the Equipments Factory Ratings, NO Matter how it is Registered then you still fail??

I'm going to look this one up both on the Registration and Exceeding Factory Set Rating for the Puller and Trailer.

This is what I miss, why is it nearly 24 years later such a "worthy" cause still is being figured out, why is it "large trucks" to the public is now considered 10,000+lbs, how is it that an annual random drug test is supposed to remove a drug using driver off the road for safety, it should be weekly if that was the true goal, and there already were plenty of laws in place prior to 1986 regarding mulitple DL, and qualifications for driving a CMV . Just smoke and mirror knee jerk passing more laws by the uninformed lawmakers with no regard to the consequences, IMO

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: jcc] #547631
12/28/09 08:33 AM
12/28/09 08:33 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
And another little hidden golden nugget to this whole CDL mess that has been seldom mentioned, In Fla, Nebraska (ask me how I know), and I assume many other states, you are allowed to take a driving school in lieu of having a conviction/points entered on your driving record for minor non accident offenses, like speeding under 15mph over the limit,etc. However if you HAVE a CDL, no matter WHAT you were driving, whether on personal time or not, no matter where you are at, NO driving school, & full recording of points, no exceptions. Now with your CDL staus and new and improved commercial insurance rates, the points sure take on a nice new meaning.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10