P

City of Champions
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't forget your DOT medical card, the list goes on

I renewed my Maryland driver's license today (Class C - noncommercial 26,000 and less), and the brochure states:
Quote:

If you are a Maryland non-commercial driver operating a commerical motor vehicle in intrastate commerce (within the state of Maryland) and the vehicle weighs between 10,001 and 26,000 pounds, you are now required to hold and maintain a valid Federal Motor Carrier (DOT) physical card in your possession.

Doesn't that all go back to is the operation in "commerce" i.e. commercial use?

Towing your car to a drag race where you are competing for money is considered commercial, at least PA does. Towing to a show, not competing for money looks like it would fall into that category your document describes.

A big magnet is any decals on your trailer, such as "joe schmo's racing", mopar, or any other business that could be construed as a sponsor.

one of the reasons my trailer is plain white not a sticker of any kind

This is why mine says not for hire on both sides.
DOT sucks

Everything I have ever read says those stickers are meaningless. Even a "not for hire" truck/trailer combo can be commercial in the eyes of DOT.

DOT sat outside Maple Grove about 5 or 6 years ago and had a field day, especially with those from out of state, not knowing you have to comply with the laws of the state you are towing through.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Prostock] #547513
12/12/09 01:16 PM
12/12/09 01:16 PM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
You are so rite, going interstate is the worst, when ever I go from FL to NYC I'm so nervous, due to all the tickets I've racked up. Then I go and comply, and the rules have changed. Can't stay ahead, just keep paying lawyers, which 98% of the time they when, but I lose in the pocket

DOT $uck$

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: TS3303] #547514
12/12/09 05:32 PM
12/12/09 05:32 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan 483...
daniel_depetro Offline
pro stock
daniel_depetro  Offline
pro stock

Sterling Heights, Michigan 483...
Quote:

Quote:

and the vehicle weighs between 10,001 and 26,000 pounds, you are now required to hold and maintain a valid Federal Motor Carrier (DOT) physical card in your possession.

just the tow vehicle? actual weight? gvwr? gcwr?

F350 7,500
GVWR 11,200
GCWR 20,000

X2!!!!

I use my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 (2wd) 5.9L Magnum (gas) Quad Cab for towing my own cars wherever I want them to go, or when I purchase them.

My ram weighs 5,200 lbs. with all the fluids/fuel topped off (without me in it) on a local certified scale.
GVWR = 6,400 lbs.
GCWR = 12,500 lbs.

I have two open 18-foot car haulers (trailers).
One is a flat deck and weighs ~2,000 lbs.
The other is a dovetail and weighs ~2,350 lbs.
Both trailers were weighed on certified scales as well

I travel all over the place hauling my junk, the last thing I need to worry about is the D.O.T. chasing me down handing me a fine.

My 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 is my daily driver from late fall until early spring (late spring - early fall my Mopar muscle cars are literally daily driven) and it has basic Michigan personal registration/plates on it. I also hold a standard run of the mill Michigan drivers license with nothing more than a motorcycle endorsement.

Considering just my truck & trailer alone weigh 7,200 - 7,550 lbs. (depending on which trailer I have at the time; and without any passengers/clothes/tools/winch/chains & straps) do I need to have a higher class drivers license??
Even when loaded with the lightest car I own it will easily put me over the 10,001.0 lbs. mark, and I will never haul more then 12,500.0 lbs.

1969 Dodge Super Bee A12 (440 Six Pack, 4-speed, Dana 60 4.10)

1972 Plymouth Road Runner (400, 4-speed, 8.75" 3.23)

1974 Plymouth Duster 360 (360, 4-speed, 8.75" 3.23)
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: daniel_depetro] #547515
12/12/09 10:21 PM
12/12/09 10:21 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
You first need to resolve the question, Do you collect or earn or attempt to earn any money in conjunction with the use of your vehicle while configured for over 10,000 GVW or CGVW?, which makes you commercial. If so, get in line.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: jcc] #547516
12/13/09 09:46 PM
12/13/09 09:46 PM
Fort Pierce, FL
O
Outlaw10_5 Offline
super stock
Outlaw10_5  Offline
super stock
O

Fort Pierce, FL

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Outlaw10_5] #547517
12/13/09 10:06 PM
12/13/09 10:06 PM
under a rock
F
flathood Offline
flathood  Offline
F

under a rock
So do you still need a DOT number and a motorcarrier number??

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Outlaw10_5] #547518
12/14/09 12:29 AM
12/14/09 12:29 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Please read question #21

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulatio...90163348002325f

First, as understand it, "guidance" is not a legally binding interptation, but only guidance ( kinda of a stupid loophole?)

Second, in my words #21 means, use of a CMV for occasional income producing uses like car, horse, etc events is exempt as long as:
a. Income is reported
b. no expenses are deducted
c. No sponsorship money is involved

That is not a very big loophole, but "looks" to be one.

Comments?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: flathood] #547519
12/14/09 12:36 AM
12/14/09 12:36 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

So do you still need a DOT number and a motorcarrier number??

Reg #21, the way it looks to me, if its not a CMV in the first place, and the only useage in question is exempt as in a, b & c, above, then no DOT # requirement, but I wouldn't bet on this.

A Motor carrier number is I believe if you are a "For Hire", which would have to be a CMV, but you can still be a CMV and "Not for Hire".

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: jcc] #547520
12/14/09 08:05 AM
12/14/09 08:05 AM
s e mich
ro23car Offline
super stock
ro23car  Offline
super stock

s e mich
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't forget your DOT medical card, the list goes on

I renewed my Maryland driver's license today (Class C - noncommercial 26,000 and less), and the brochure states:
Quote:

If you are a Maryland non-commercial driver operating a commerical motor vehicle in intrastate commerce (within the state of Maryland) and the vehicle weighs between 10,001 and 26,000 pounds, you are now required to hold and maintain a valid Federal Motor Carrier (DOT) physical card in your possession.

Doesn't that all go back to is the operation in "commerce" i.e. commercial use?

Towing your car to a drag race where you are competing for money is considered commercial, at least PA does. Towing to a show, not competing for money looks like it would fall into that category your document describes.

A big magnet is any decals on your trailer, such as "joe schmo's racing", mopar, or any other business that could be construed as a sponsor.

I agree with the signs/decals as only a magnet for scruntiny.

You other comment makes me wonder about a potential issue, that I am not sure of the answer. I know what commom sense tells me, but DOT? I don't know. I am not sure if the truck is classified solely by the activity it is doing, or if it is useds once say per registration period as a commercial vehicle, it is always a commercial vehicle during that period. Think about the reverse, One could own a 80,000 GVW Semi tractor, have it registered in ones personal name, use it driving/hauling frieght all over the country, but if the driver drives it one night to the ice cream store when home, is it now a personal vehicle, not commerical? Because the reverse is what most are trying to do regarding winning purse's when hauling their cars to and from the track. But our opinion doesn't seem to count for much in this fight.

since the semi is plated as a commercial vehical it remains as such untill its plated differently.here in mich when you are towing your race car you are a bussiness because their thoughts are if you can win anything of monetary value even a trophy you are considered a bussiness. the not for hire sign used to mean you were hauling your own freight or product and noone elses.you think this is fun wait till cvsa 2010 starts in july 2010.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: ro23car] #547521
12/14/09 07:36 PM
12/14/09 07:36 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
The Federal rules and regulations don't mean squat to the state or local jurisdiction and the officer citing you.It's up to their disgression.Private,commercial,fun,hobby or profit.Many remember what I went through last year comming back from Ohio and the All Hemi Reunion.Not 20 minutes from home on I-79 I was pulled over while passing a open weigh station.I was fine $1200 for exceeding my gross vehicle weight of my Dodge daully plated for 15,000 GVW.My entire rig was a total of 23,600.I was fortunate to have a CDL and medical card for which I understand is need over 26,001#.Wrong!!! any trailer over 10,000# and requires bi-annual state inspection.I had to retitle and plate my truck for GVCW(gross vehichle combination weight)a class 8 sticker in Pa.So if your total GVCW exceeds your GVW titled weight you have a problem.The only relief is that half of the district judges and cops don't understand the laws themselves.This year everytime I pull into the weigh station they wave me on and look at me like are you stupid I'am now legal and the plates are costly but when I'am stopped I can except that any ticket I get is double the cost if you have a CDL licence. The only exceptions is anything plated "motor home"

Last edited by B G Racing; 12/14/09 07:58 PM.
Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547522
12/14/09 08:36 PM
12/14/09 08:36 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
As "ro23car" wisely suggests, the hammer is coming down 7/10? with new CVSA regulations. This will be thought of as just a tea party. Google it for yourself. You sure will be gald you got your easy to get DOT #, so they know where to find you, place you out of service, and then you get to find out what the fine/penalty is for out of service violations, Ha! The gun lobby has it togther on registering guns, to bad the trucking people have just rolled over and played dead.

And even though we are in the great recession, and my revenues are way down, and there are fewer trucks on the roads "tearing" them up, Fla has raised my yearly tag fee on one of my trucks, for no apparent reason $397.00, ( it was $998.00) Ouch.

But also in their infinite wisdom, on a 70 mile stretch of US 27 from Miami to South bay, with a 50 mile stretch, without a single traffic light, in the Everglades, DOT has planted, in a dozen places, on the side of the road, 100's of Sabal Palms. There isn't a native tree within a 20 mile radius, and I bet there isn't a single natural Sabal Plam within a 30 mile radius. Of course these trees had to be braced for frequent storms, forget about lightning hits, and of course watered until rooted, and then of course unbraced. All this with taxpayer money in a great recession, while they fine the heck out you 10,000lb+ CMV truckers to pay for it?. Anybody getting this?

Check out your new trees

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547523
12/14/09 08:47 PM
12/14/09 08:47 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
How much a year do they whack you Bob for that class 8 registration? My ram is only registered as class 3 and I cringe at the $153 fee.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Prostock] #547524
12/14/09 09:15 PM
12/14/09 09:15 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

How much a year do they whack you Bob for that class 8 registration? My ram is only registered as class 3 and I cringe at the $153 fee.

$450 per year. For a 3500 daully.+ bi-annual trailer inspection.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: jcc] #547525
12/14/09 09:29 PM
12/14/09 09:29 PM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
Quote:

As "ro23car" wisely suggests, the hammer is coming down 7/10? with new CVSA regulations. This will be thought of as just a tea party. Google it for yourself. You sure will be gald you got your easy to get DOT #, so they know where to find you, place you out of service, and then you get to find out what the fine/penalty is for out of service violations, Ha! The gun lobby has it togther on registering guns, to bad the trucking people have just rolled over and played dead.

And even though we are in the great recession, and my revenues are way down, and there are fewer trucks on the roads "tearing" them up, Fla has raised my yearly tag fee on one of my trucks, for no apparent reason $397.00, ( it was $998.00) Ouch.

But also in their infinite wisdom, on a 70 mile stretch of US 27 from Miami to South bay, with a 50 mile stretch, without a single traffic light, in the Everglades, DOT has planted, in a dozen places, on the side of the road, 100's of Sabal Palms. There isn't a native tree within a 20 mile radius, and I bet there isn't a single natural Sabal Plam within a 30 mile radius. Of course these trees had to be braced for frequent storms, forget about lightning hits, and of course watered until rooted, and then of course unbraced. All this with taxpayer money in a great recession, while they fine the heck out you 10,000lb+ CMV truckers to pay for it?. Anybody getting this?

Check out your new trees

Thats one krazy road, ran out of fuel there once, never again

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: jcc] #547526
12/15/09 09:52 AM
12/15/09 09:52 AM
s e mich
ro23car Offline
super stock
ro23car  Offline
super stock

s e mich
Quote:

Check out your new trees

i for one has not rolled over but most of the industry has since deregulation

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: ro23car] #547527
12/15/09 10:29 AM
12/15/09 10:29 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Pa.title registration require the mfg advertized recommendation for GVCW(combination weight)usually found in the operating manual or spec litature and restricts your upping your weight class to those specs.It's based axle loads,suspension,tire contact and braking capasities.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: B G Racing] #547528
12/15/09 11:35 AM
12/15/09 11:35 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

The Federal rules and regulations don't mean squat to the state or local jurisdiction and the officer citing you.It's up to their disgression.Private,commercial,fun,hobby or profit.Many remember what I went through last year comming back from Ohio and the All Hemi Reunion.Not 20 minutes from home on I-79 I was pulled over while passing a open weigh station.I was fine $1200 for exceeding my gross vehicle weight of my Dodge daully plated for 15,000 GVW.My entire rig was a total of 23,600.I was fortunate to have a CDL and medical card for which I understand is need over 26,001#.Wrong!!! any trailer over 10,000# and requires bi-annual state inspection.I had to retitle and plate my truck for GVCW(gross vehichle combination weight)a class 8 sticker in Pa.So if your total GVCW exceeds your GVW titled weight you have a problem.The only relief is that half of the district judges and cops don't understand the laws themselves.This year everytime I pull into the weigh station they wave me on and look at me like are you stupid I'am now legal and the plates are costly but when I'am stopped I can except that any ticket I get is double the cost if you have a CDL licence. The only exceptions is anything plated "motor home"

When I got my registration for my toterhome I had to take it over to the regristration office. All the ladies(4) came outside to look at it and I took them inside to see it.

A week or so when I went back to get my new title and MH plates the lady said they had a heck of a time convincing the state it was a motorhome. She said it must have been the first freightliner licensed in Ohio as a MH. She said they called her twice to check and they told the state they were inside it and were sure it was a motor home. My original paper work from freightliner said it was built on a MH assy line. 505 HP and all truck componets makes it a pleasure to drive. I have put over 50K miles on it and have never been pulled over in it and I have passed many open weigh stations. I made sure to never decal my race trailers even though my sponsors asked about it.

I own and maintain 9 hazmat tanker trucks at work and know all about the regs as I employ hazmat drivers.

It cost me 70 bucks a year and gives me the capability to tow any size trailer as long as it's not for profit. And how are they gonna know if I'm getting paid or not?

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Challenger 1] #547529
12/15/09 12:16 PM
12/15/09 12:16 PM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
Whats up with the hazmat rules for having 55 gal drums in the back of a pick up, Got pulled over with 2 drums of race fuel, was told I needed a CDL with a hazmat permit He told me that he could write a huge amount of tickeks but let me go anybody else have this problem?

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: emarine01] #547530
12/15/09 12:21 PM
12/15/09 12:21 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
The fed law says any more than 1000 lbs gross weight of hazmat means you need 4 placards on your truck and a CDL license with hazmat endorsements. Plus you need a med card, hazmat training, and shipping papers. We sell and ship drums of race fuel and are required to limit 2 drums per truck unless there placarded. 1000 lbs includes the container and product. That's why you only see max 110 gal fuel tanks for the back of pickups. The shipper can be held liable also.

That guy was wrong if you only had 2 drums. been hazmat shipping since 1984.

Re: D.O.T.. regulations again [Re: Challenger 1] #547531
12/15/09 12:40 PM
12/15/09 12:40 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

The fed law says any more than 1000 lbs gross weight of hazmat means you need 4 placards on your truck and a CDL lisense with hazmat endorsements. Plus you need med card, hazmat training, and shipping papers. We sell and ship drums of race fuel and are required to limit 2 drums per truck unless there placarded. 1000 lbs includes the container and product. That's why you only see max 110 gal fuel tanks for the back of pickups.

That guy was wrong if you only had 2 drums. been hazmat shipping since 1984.

I think there are different rules for small (?) amounts and tanker/bulk quantities. Yes 110 gals is one threshold I believe, not weight if a liquid. Any haz mat has a reportable quantity, and they are all different. A big threshold is whether its in the fuel tank of a piece of equipment or not, such as a generator or race car, fuel drums do have definite requirements. They also cannot not be stored with other problem materials, such as caustics, acids, O2, etc. hazards must be marked multiple places on the container (ie different reuse of drums is an issue), they have to be properly secured, etc. Its a really big complicated manual on Hazmat. Large quantities require a bulk carrier endorsement as mentioned that requires big insurance limits, tunnel restrictions, driver biannual? criminal background checks, etc.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10