11/05/09 11:44 AM
11/05/09 11:44 AM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
The observed condition (no rotation during normal use) had me a bit puzzled, until I sussed through it.

The spring (let's use only one just for clarity) will tend to rotate as it compresses, since the new height is obtained by reduced the pitch, in fact the amount of rotation is going to be a function of the original pitch angle and more or less distributed among the "active" coils.

Then why doesn't the entire spring rotate on the head?

The coefficients of friction of the spring's seated coil and the head surface are "gritty" enough that the traction resists movement.
If they were lapped in to a mirror polish, they might move. It's a happy coincidence that for normal spring design this relationship works.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: valve float [Re: dusturbd340W5] #513211
11/05/09 11:55 AM
11/05/09 11:55 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Quote:

what would the valve stem look like if I where getting into valve float

When Ryan freshened my Edelbrocks he found some valves that had seen severe float. The stems, where the top of the locks had been riding were beat up pretty bad. I don't have the valves anymore or I'd take a photo for you.

Re: valve float [Re: S/ST 3040] #513212
11/05/09 01:48 PM
11/05/09 01:48 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Quote:

I understand offset rockers undergo extreme side loading themselves
but, don't see any possible way a pushrod/rocker arm can transfer
any side load to the valve stem.

Prolonged intervals in tear-downs might result in stem wear perpendicular
to the rocker shaft but, I can't envision the side loading.

Well based on my real world experience, generally I only see extreme stem wear on intakes that are being ran with offset rockers... Rarely ever see it on exhausts that run with little to no, offset.

You can see the unusal wear patterns on almost anything that is going to be loaded unevenly..... look @ inside of a non bushed heavily offset intake rocker arm sometime after prolonged use, you will see the rocker is wearing unevenly side to side, it's being cocked on the shaft, which gets worse as it wears & it is putting uneven load on tip of valve side to side...

Non roller bearing rockers (bored alum rocker that just is riding on shaft) seem to do it worse since the rocker wears more than a NB style rocker like a T&D/Jesel/HS, but even a NB style rocker can do it with time....

Just look at wear on a roller cam that is being run with offset lifters, you will see taper in the wear pattern on the lobes, even with a needle bearing roller lifter riding on it that "should" be distributing load evenly across roller wheel, it does'nt.

Thinking/theorizing about things like this is fine, but sometimes actually measuring/looking at used parts to find out what is actually going on in the real world is often better.

Re: valve float [Re: justinp61] #513213
11/05/09 01:54 PM
11/05/09 01:54 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Quote:

Quote:

what would the valve stem look like if I where getting into valve float

When Ryan freshened my Edelbrocks he found some valves that had seen severe float. The stems, where the top of the locks had been riding were beat up pretty bad. I don't have the valves anymore or I'd take a photo for you.

& yes getting back to original question, easy way to ID float is to look at valve tips around lock groove for vertical scratches that are caused by locks "scratching" the stems, also look for metal transfer on backside of locks, during float the locks will move around in the retainers & transfer material (similar to cap walk material transfer) & sometimes the lock Ridge/ridges on the locks themselves will start to wear badly.

When set of heads has been into bad float & valves are usually scored up @ tip, you have to file the lock grooves down back to round to get valves out of guides.

Re: valve float [Re: RyanJ] #513214
11/06/09 09:36 PM
11/06/09 09:36 PM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
MP sells a lash cap with keepers that have a groove in the keeper for the cap to drop in, They came on our w5s when we got them, It seems that it locks up the keepers from moving around @ high rpm by not letting them open at the top.

Re: valve float [Re: RyanJ] #513215
11/08/09 07:45 PM
11/08/09 07:45 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
But... what exactly is moving?

If the rocker is taking up the clearance in opposite directions at each end, the mis-align is limited to a trig function of the clearance and the length of the rocker on the shaft axis from the roller to the pushrod.
Senior moment and I don't have the actual rocker dims, but this looks like the clearance ÷ body length = arctan of the mis-align angle.
If the clearance is .002" and the body is 1" long (on the shaft axis), the angle is only .11° (about 1/10th of a degree).
That should be detected at all. If the rocker is longer than that, the angle is even less.
Even if the bushing is toast (.010"), this is still only .57° (1/2 of a degree).

The only other answer ICTO is that the lever is bending away from the center, and introducing a 3rd axis to the roller tip.
If it really bends that much, there isn't enough cross-section in the stressed area - this is a design problem.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: valve float [Re: polyspheric] #513216
11/08/09 09:06 PM
11/08/09 09:06 PM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
I am not sure what exactly in moving around @ valve float but I was looking at it from the possibility of the valve keeper / retainer seperating allowing the keeper to work in the valve stem,The lash cap with the groove holds the keepers tight to the valve stem without spring pressure, I thought the lash cap with keeper were designed to work together to stop this movement? I played with this set up on the bench with the valves out of the head and could not remove the keepers from the valve with the lash cap snapped down into the groove.

Re: valve float [Re: emarine01] #513217
11/08/09 10:51 PM
11/08/09 10:51 PM
Joplin, Mo
R
rt66jim Offline
master
rt66jim  Offline
master
R

Joplin, Mo
Woody I know you are asking about valve float. But my car slowed .5 and 5 mph at the track this year. I was carb jetting. I couldn't believe that 2 jet sizes in the frt and 2 in the back could make that much difference in power. Jim

Page 2 of 2 1 2