10/21/09 07:02 PM
10/21/09 07:02 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
I'am no engineer,but I have quite a few that work for me and I have built quite a few engines in the last 40+ years,with that being said,I have to lend credence to Dram and RyanJ's statements.The tensioner is not a bandaid of any sort rather a deterent to chain stretch.AS Ryan pointed out the long center line distance on a small block mopar lends to increased stretch in the chain.The distance that the chain is not engageded on the gears allows a the chain to throw itself outward on excelleration and inward on decelleration causing the chain to roll over itself,this movement or balling of the chain is the main cause of stretch and wear is the secondary cause.With a tensioner this movement or balling does not occurr keeping the chains movement more smoothly and fluid like.Many industrial engines use gear driven componants but the ones that use chains use tensioners for this specific reason and increase the life of the chain and gears unlimitedly.Most engines incorporate tensioners in all applications that use chains and belts on driven componants of any kind for long service durability and life.

Re: Who sells rollmaster timing sets?? [Re: B G Racing] #501292
10/21/09 07:25 PM
10/21/09 07:25 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
I am happy with agreeing to disagree

Here is what Mopar says about its timing chain tensioner

:B. Timing Chain Tensioner
This Timing Chain Tensioner stabilizes cam timing by reducing timing chain slack. Use in place of thrust plate P5249637.
P5007709 Timing Chain Tensioner (Small Block and 3.9L, 5.2L, 5.9L Truck Magnum/Jeep® Engines)

I read that as it being a bandaid. It REDUCES timing chain slack. In other words, a chain will over time aquire slack in it. If you install this tensioner, it will reduce this slack.

So it masks/ is a bandaid, of the design of a timing chain on a car.It makes the problem less of an issue, than it would be without it.

A gear drive doesnt need a tensioner, it literally doesnt wear out or stretch.

But that is just how i read it, your results may vary

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam, footbrake street/strip car
Best so far, 10.32 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.56 at 104.17

Re: Who sells rollmaster timing sets?? [Re: B3422W5] #501293
10/21/09 07:40 PM
10/21/09 07:40 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

This Timing Chain Tensioner stabilizes cam timing by reducing timing chain slack. Use in place of thrust plate P5249637.
P5007709 Timing Chain Tensioner (Small Block and 3.9L, 5.2L, 5.9L Truck Magnum/Jeep® Engines)

I read that as it being a bandaid. It REDUCES timing chain slack. In other words, a chain will over time aquire slack in it. If you install this tensioner, it will reduce this slack.

So it masks/ is a bandaid, of the design of a timing chain on a car.It makes the problem less of an issue, than it would be without it.

It's a friendly diagreement The issue with the SB mopar as stated is a distance issue (poor design)In some respects the tensioner acts like an idler gear but is not that positive contact that the gear provides.If you want to scare your self lock the crank in place and rotate the cam gear back and forth and see the movement in dregrees that even a gear drive has.They all work well when they are in rotation with all the slack drawn.Don't get me started on Pete Jackson gear drives.

Re: Who sells rollmaster timing sets?? [Re: B G Racing] #501294
10/21/09 08:24 PM
10/21/09 08:24 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

It's a friendly diagreement The issue with the SB mopar as stated is a distance issue (poor design)In some respects the tensioner acts like an idler gear but is not that positive contact that the gear provides.If you want to scare your self lock the crank in place and rotate the cam gear back and forth and see the movement in dregrees that even a gear drive has.They all work well when they are in rotation with all the slack drawn.Don't get me started on Pete Jackson gear drives.

OK my turn
Ditch both chain and gear drive (harmonics) and get a belt drive. Matt

Re: Who sells rollmaster timing sets?? [Re: MattW] #501295
10/21/09 08:34 PM
10/21/09 08:34 PM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK my turn
Ditch both chain and gear drive (harmonics) and get a belt drive. Matt

now thats the ticket right there if your going to spend money mite as well go for broke

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: Who sells rollmaster timing sets?? [Re: RyanJ] #501296
10/21/09 09:45 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
Quote:

Don, no offense but between DRAM & I, I think we've worked on a few more SB Mopars than you have W/ a chain.... Once a tensioner is installed W/ a GOOD chain, you will see no slop, no matter how much use. I run them on our dirt track cars that sit @ 7000-7600 all night long, & there is no slop after years of use. In fact one motor has same chain/tensioner on it for last 4 years......

Your buddy needs to put a good chain & tensioner on... there will be no slop, street car/drag car/dirt car etc.

If he runs a cast gear chain W/ no tensioner it WILL stretch, & it will stretch fairly quickly. I don't disagree that his did stretch, I'm just saying if he had bought & used proper parts the first time it would'nt have happened.

The Milodon gear drives for SB Chrysler do not whine or make any noise, if they did, I'd never have one on one of my cars, I can't stand that racket.

I do have a Milodon GD on my 394 Turbo motor, but again, it is a 50MM Roller cam motor. If it was Babbit bearing I'd have a billet chain & tensioner on it. Much better places to spend your $ on than a GD IMO. Just my experiences having built/torn down quite few SB motors with both drives & chains.... If I thought they were so much better than a chain/tensioner, I'd try to talk everyone into one.... instead I usually end up trying to talk them out of it.

I agree with you guys, Both Ryan and Dram, and my machinist, Keck. They all have the same feelings. And if I read correctly, the "loud" gear drives are accually impropperly machined to make them loud, and tht make me think they might wear, chip, or flake causing metal in the engine, and premature failure.

I might be completely wrong on the machined for the noise, but I still dont like the noise either. If ya want the supercharger, gear whine, so be it, but I wouldnt.

Oh and in my opinion ANY double roller timing set with a cast cam and crank gear is cheapo stuff to me. I dont care for cloyes, or any cahin bought from auto zone, advanced auto, or carquest because all of them have stretched a lot on short trips in our 360 in the van, the truck, and the race car. When I bought a Billet geared set with a good chain, they were, and currently are way better on chain slac.

Kasey

Re: Who sells rollmaster timing sets?? [Re: B3422W5] #501297

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don,
you stated that you never used a cheap timing set, yet you list the names of the ones you used and you used exactly that, cheap timing sets.
the purpose of a timing chain or a gear drive is exactly the same, to control the camshaft timing. put on a quality chain with a tensioner and it does exactly that. there's no mystery to it and it costs less than half of a gear drive. you can call it a band-aid, rite-aid, farm-aid, or whatever you want, but the bottom line is that it absolutely works.
can you guess which people most auto mechanics curse and complain about the most? i wonder why.
have a great day

Re: Who sells rollmaster timing sets?? #501298
10/21/09 09:57 PM
10/21/09 09:57 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
Quote:

Don,
you stated that you never used a cheap timing set, yet you list the names of the ones you used and you used exactly that, cheap timing sets.
the purpose of a timing chain or a gear drive is exactly the same, to control the camshaft timing. put on a quality chain with a tensioner and it does exactly that. there's no mystery to it and it costs less than half of a gear drive. you can call it a band-aid, rite-aid, farm-aid, or whatever you want, but the bottom line is that it absolutely works.
can you guess which people most auto mechanics curse and complain about the most? i wonder why.
have a great day

Hey Dan,,,,

IM A FARMER!!! LOL

I agree with you and Ryan yet again... and Im no engineer, I just have countless hours behind a wrench, and have seen thousands of failed chain set, mostly cloyes, and OEM sets with cast gears, and or the flat gear multi link gear sets whitch should NEVER be used on anything but a manure spreader...

Page 2 of 2 1 2