Wisconsin
G
Garceau Offline
pro stock
Garceau  Offline
pro stock
G

Wisconsin
Many people have been labeled as a cheater and banned for ever from sanctioning bodies for using items that were NOT illegal at the time.

Reason being the rules hadnt caught up with them yet.

Years ago there were several races using delay boxes before anyone had a clue what they were. Do you think they were running around telling everyone. Nope, they were cashing their checks. At least one of them went on to form a company that sells delay boxes exclusivly

As for the fella leaving a big money event without collecting his check. Im sure you are referring to the Moroso event. I talked with some there, and they mentioned this. It didnt matter if the guy was cheating or not at that point, the crowd had already labeled him as such and were going to tear him and his car in half. It was explained to me, he literally was more afraid for his life, than he was worried about the few grand.

I have no knowledge if he was cheating or not, I wonder why an innocent person would run. But looking at it like that I can understand it. I do believe this same racer was later banned from IHRA, with 12 others over allegations that were never proven.

The entire thing is great reading, and interesting. I suppose very few know the real truth.

But some of the truth is the Matty box, was legal for a LONG time, before it was discovered.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: Garceau] #497615
10/15/09 06:23 PM
10/15/09 06:23 PM
Ripley
B
BryanRad Offline
mopar
BryanRad  Offline
mopar
B

Ripley
Pretty sure if you go back and read the rule book, regardless of whether you think or assume who was and was not running nitrous in pro stock when The Dodge Boys were accused, that the rule book was quite grey when it came to the fuel in Pro Stock. Just like some of the Nascar guys that used to put fuel in the frame rails, the rules limited the size of the fuel cell but didnt say you couldnt run huge fuel line or store it in other places.

I would definitely agree that an optical sensor to pick up the top bulb would be a very easy place to cheat.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: Garceau] #497616
10/15/09 06:30 PM
10/15/09 06:30 PM
In the tower
RonTheAnnouncer Offline
master
RonTheAnnouncer  Offline
master

In the tower
Quote:

But some of the truth is the Matty box, was legal for a LONG time, before it was discovered.

It was, and Richie Matty won an IHRA bracket championship and many other races with his father's device. It was, however, illegal when the dozen were banned. I was announcing at Norwalk the year it happened.Not to get all political, but I would say, as someone who was around a lot of those guys every week, that I believe at least some of them were cheating. There was some big money out there to be won back then.

Ron H.
"Just when you think you have all of the answers...I change the questions!" "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: 11secdart] #497617
10/15/09 06:38 PM
10/15/09 06:38 PM
ky
68roadrunner Offline
super stock
68roadrunner  Offline
super stock

ky
heck we don't even get teched here localy. pay your money, get a tech card, fill out tech card, turn in tech card at tower(usually) and go racing. no tech, no inforcing of any basic safty rules, such as window net, pants,neck collar,etc. so how can they look for cheaters?

they really need to check these cars.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: RonTheAnnouncer] #497618
10/15/09 06:41 PM
10/15/09 06:41 PM
Wisconsin
G
Garceau Offline
pro stock
Garceau  Offline
pro stock
G

Wisconsin
Quote:

Quote:

It was, and Richie Matty won an IHRA bracket championship and many other races with his father's device. It was, however, illegal when the dozen were banned. I was announcing at Norwalk the year it happened.Not to get all political, but I would say, as someone who was around a lot of those guys every week, that I believe at least some of them were cheating. There was some big money out there to be won back then.

Yes thats the way I understand it as well. But were ANY of the dirty dozen ever found to have the device in their cars running after it was banned? I know some questionable wires were found, but nothing hooked to them.

My understanding they were banned on hearsay alone.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: Garceau] #497619
10/15/09 06:44 PM
10/15/09 06:44 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
let 'em cheat. we'll beat 'em anyway. losers.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: maximum entropy] #497620
10/15/09 07:07 PM
10/15/09 07:07 PM
Seaford Delaware
JSR1485 Offline
super stock
JSR1485  Offline
super stock

Seaford Delaware
I use to run points at a local track for afew years in a class called Heavy eliminator and did pretty good finish in the top 16 a couple of years ,but the cheating got to be too much and the as it was called in the staging lanes "Duck Hunting" the top guys would wait for new guys or guys they new could not cut a light and line up next to them. As far as the cheating I saw mechanical throttle stops hidden, cruise controls used, some cell phones used camera's monted in cars, programable tachs used which from what I hear have been outlawed by NHRA. I always wanted to do it for Fun and that it the main reason I race for the love of the people that race and the fun of it. I will be nostalgia racing next year!!

Last edited by dartsport73; 10/15/09 08:02 PM.

Switched to the dark side...
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA #497621
10/15/09 07:10 PM
10/15/09 07:10 PM
off the grid
340B5 Offline
pro stock
340B5  Offline
pro stock

off the grid
I was really pissed when Petersen bought SS/DI and dumped it. Called and made them give my back the $$$ for the rest of the subscription. Just to make them do the paperwork.

Bring it back..I'll subscribe.

Yeah, it's got a smallblock.
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: Garceau] #497622
10/15/09 07:16 PM
10/15/09 07:16 PM
In the tower
RonTheAnnouncer Offline
master
RonTheAnnouncer  Offline
master

In the tower
Quote:

Yes thats the way I understand it as well. But were ANY of the dirty dozen ever found to have the device in their cars running after it was banned? I know some questionable wires were found, but nothing hooked to them.

My understanding they were banned on hearsay alone.

One car was torn down, and they were tipped off. Some holes were found in odd places. This same car was dialed between 8.50 and 8.52 all year, from 45 degree mineshaft air to 90s and humid. How much was heresay depends on who side you're on. Like I said, watching most of those guys week to week, and knowing what was at stake, I think some of them were cheating.

Ron H.
"Just when you think you have all of the answers...I change the questions!" "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: RonTheAnnouncer] #497623
10/15/09 07:41 PM
10/15/09 07:41 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
I've followed the Matty box scandal since it broke. I have talked to literally a dozen people who "knew exactly what they were doing", and guess what? I've gotten 12 different stories that don't match at all. I've heard everything from the box ran the tach needle to it ran the brakes on the car and a nitrous system.

Guess what else? A Matty box is still perfectly legal to have in your car and use, as long as it does not transmit real time data to the driver on track. You can "possibly" make a RacePak do way more than a Matty box anyway.

Anyone else remember the infamous "Willy Raymond" thread on the Super Stock board a few years ago? It went 150+ pages and had well over a million views. Guy was making claims that he had in his car systems to control the car and run dead-on with a near perfect light with sensors planted on the track, and a satellite uplink on a laptop in the stands. He was going to bring the car to Firebird Raceway and prove how it all worked.

He disappeared into the wind, the whole thread was bullshirt just to get people wound up.

Are there people out there cheating? Sure. People will always do that. Is it as widespread as some would like us to believe? Only on the Internet.

Wanna be deadly consistent? Light car, big motor, alcohol, Powerglide, big tires, and make more than 12 passes a year.

One last thing. If you leave the track without your check they will mail it to you.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: RonTheAnnouncer] #497624
10/15/09 07:47 PM
10/15/09 07:47 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
Quote:

Many people have been labeled as a cheater and banned for ever from sanctioning bodies for using items that were NOT illegal at the time.

but the 4 ever ban was not 4 ever I believe most if not all of them can race in IHRA again.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: MegaDart] #497625
10/15/09 07:53 PM
10/15/09 07:53 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

Quote:

but the 4 ever ban was not 4 ever I believe most if not all of them can race in IHRA again.

Most were re-instated after 2 years. Kinda like Darrell Alderman's "lifetime" ban.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: tjmarcus1] #497626
10/15/09 08:00 PM
10/15/09 08:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

someone explain all this to me.

its simple really....

when a guy gets out raced, out classed, and his azz handed to him,
he AUTOMATICALLY thinks the other guy is cheating.

When some racers are at the ABSOULUTE top of there game, theres
always some clowns who toss those accusations.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: B G Racing] #497627
10/15/09 08:27 PM
10/15/09 08:27 PM
Ohio
L
Lil Wedge Offline
enthusiast
Lil Wedge  Offline
enthusiast
L

Ohio
I remember at the Mopar Nats back about 2000 a 67 Plymouth b-boby was seen with a box in the car 1st round, came up for second round with the box in the car, someone had told the track about it. He denied using it, they sent him back to the pits to remove it, He missed 2nd round and came back up 3rd round without it and lost. A couple of NTR track guys came through the pits in 01 checking Pro cars for boxes, He said He was only 1/2 way through the Pro class and had found 12 boxes. Our 1st race this year, the Competition director at NTR followed us into the pit after 2nd time trial and went over every inch of our car. He did 2 others and never did it any more the rest of the year. Should spot check every week if you ask me.

5547732-May23142.jpg (281 downloads)
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: slantzilla] #497628
10/15/09 08:28 PM
10/15/09 08:28 PM
In the tower
RonTheAnnouncer Offline
master
RonTheAnnouncer  Offline
master

In the tower
None were reinstated to IHRA until Aaron Polburn became president. He needs all the help he can get.

Ron H.
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: JSR1485] #497629
10/15/09 08:29 PM
10/15/09 08:29 PM
South Jersey
kruger Offline
Yours Too!
kruger  Offline
Yours Too!

South Jersey
Quote:

I will be nostalgia racing next year!!

Me too.It will be my first year going NSS.I'll still go bracket racing but after seeing these guys racing in NSS and the way they get along and the mostly grassroots cars they bring just gives me that old good feeling back.

As for cheating?It's never going away and it's something we'll always have to deal with.As stated earlier,if you feel like your oponents cheated,protest but be prepared.

To be honest,in my 30+ years the thoughts of somebody cheating only crossed my mind a few times.Maybe i'm to layed back or nieav donno I don't condone it.But I'm not going to let it ruin my day.The last guy that beats me usauly does that lol.
Anyway I think BG pretty much sums it up ina nut shell.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: moparbrown14] #497630
10/15/09 08:32 PM
10/15/09 08:32 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
Quote:

they have ruined the bracket 2 with the delay buttons. the nhra rule book says in the non electronics class "no delay devices" tell me the long draw buttons arent a delay device. some have figured it out to leave off the top bulb. here in the midwest the bracket 2 is almost like super pro. you have to have a 15 or better to win. you cant do that consistant with a footbrake car. alot of us old guys are ready to quit.

i can be done..ive done it..and i have some buddies i race with and the first time I dont,, they beat me,,,, cause they get it done.. footbraking.. that is..
not braggin...just stating the other side of it.
...i will aggree though ive run my number and swore ive had them at the line and still lost..
and wonderd how they ran so tight..?
and often its one of those damn...lawn darts...

...the absolute best is when you can put lawn dart after lawn dart on the trailer..
...the first yr of the mopar race at SGMP..
i got bye 3 lawn darts..2 of them were super pretty .BBC power..."thats just fun right there i dont car who you are"...lol....
ill admitt i get beat regularly also...so its relative..
down south there are some deadly footbrakers..
if they are cheat'in then they got me fooled..

as for NSS
the.400 tree just keeps you from reving the motor for an eternity...imho..
cheapst

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA #497631
10/15/09 08:43 PM
10/15/09 08:43 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Quote:

someone explain all this to me.

its simple really....

when a guy gets out raced, out classed, and his azz handed to him,
he AUTOMATICALLY thinks the other guy is cheating.

When some racers are at the ABSOULUTE top of there game, theres
always some clowns who toss those accusations.

Who's making accusations? I have a room full of trophies. And I still win, and expect to for at least 10 more years. Are you saying this issue is being policed well enough? I've had guys tell me to buy the illegal stuff or loose, and be that blatent about it. Like a lot of people on this site, we still win. But NHRA and IHRA needs to police this. That's all I'm saying. It's their responsibilty to have a level field to compete, and yeah you could say " get used to it", but that's not why I pay to be a member of both organisations (can't spell) and they should do a better job. That's my only point.

Re: Bracket race cheaters-NHRA and IHRA [Re: camastomcat] #497632
10/15/09 09:01 PM
10/15/09 09:01 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
Quote:

None were reinstated to IHRA until Aaron Polburn became president. He needs all the help he can get.

exactly, I know Dave Connelly wasn't allowed in IHRA until 3 years ago. He wasn't allowed in Norwalk until Bader caved in under pressure from NHRA when Connelly was driving prostock

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8