10/06/09 09:23 PM
10/06/09 09:23 PM
Weatherford, Texas
RapidusMaximus Offline
top fuel
RapidusMaximus  Offline
top fuel

Weatherford, Texas
Ok...somebody educate me here...in a race application why would we want/need an aftermarket low deck block? I have run stock block low deck 500" strokers for the last 8 years in my dragster...the reasoning was "reportedly" the low deck bottom end was more stable in high HP applications...so...with that being said...if an aftermarket RB is built for racing applications why would we need a low deck...is it bore/stroke ratio?

1968 Plymouth GTX
1974 Dodge P/U Long Bed Stepside 318
2019 Ram 2500 6.4, auto, 4WD
Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: RapidusMaximus] #488895
10/06/09 09:25 PM
10/06/09 09:25 PM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Push rod length, shorter rod and total weight is the reason i have a short deck.

BB, TT5,Procharged 3300lb Street Car 4.79/154
Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: RapidusMaximus] #488896
10/06/09 10:09 PM
10/06/09 10:09 PM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
I'll leave this question to the ones actually running them.

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488897
10/06/09 11:41 PM
10/06/09 11:41 PM
Eagleville Tn.
rtstreet Offline
mopar
rtstreet  Offline
mopar

Eagleville Tn.
i can say that in the kind of racing i do (weight to cid) you should be able to build a more competitive engine for the reasons above (lite, less rotating mass, stronger. we dont use huge cid engines and spin the little ones to the moon.
I to would like to see a low deck cast block, would order one right now.

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: rtstreet] #488898
10/07/09 03:29 AM
10/07/09 03:29 AM
aotearoa
rebel Offline
master
rebel  Offline
master

aotearoa
why do we need a decent aftermarket low block? because even good stock blocks can only handle so much power for so long before they fail & destroy all your good add-on parts. low blocks might have a cube limit but they're in the right ballpark for common as muck -1,sr & eddy heads in terms of flowability/cubes. both my previous 400/451's died from block failure. even a half filled block didn't stop my last stock block from doing a horizontal split in the bore hydraulicing that chamber & cracking the head. i waited for months on the story mike @ MM telling me Bulldog were making an iron low deck. i gave up waiting & bought an Indymaxx, it blew my budget at the time but i needed something better than another stocker which i knew would eventually fail. sure i was expecting big numbers from my build but don't we all? my 451 in my 'cuda was easier to work on than my mates 440 & junky old hooker headers would fit easily & could be moved over for head retorquing without too much profanity. personaly i feel low decks are great sleeper motors as the ch*v & f*rd boys don't know what they're up against & they become rather sheepish when you take them out with what they think is a small block. a certain Mr Mustang with a 428 hasn't been back since a 340 'cuda put him on the trailer lol.

5529984-scan0001.jpg (52 downloads)
Last edited by rebel; 10/07/09 03:30 AM.
Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: rtstreet] #488899
10/07/09 08:08 AM
10/07/09 08:08 AM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

i can say that in the kind of racing i do (weight to cid) you should be able to build a more competitive engine for the reasons above (lite, less rotating mass, stronger. we dont use huge cid engines and spin the little ones to the moon.

rtstreet- iron or aluminum???

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: rebel] #488900
10/07/09 08:28 AM
10/07/09 08:28 AM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

why do we need a decent aftermarket low block? because even good stock blocks can only handle so much power for so long before they fail & destroy all your good add-on parts. low blocks might have a cube limit but they're in the right ballpark for common as muck -1,sr & eddy heads in terms of flowability/cubes. both my previous 400/451's died from block failure. even a half filled block didn't stop my last stock block from doing a horizontal split in the bore hydraulicing that chamber & cracking the head. i waited for months on the story mike @ MM telling me Bulldog were making an iron low deck. i gave up waiting & bought an Indymaxx, it blew my budget at the time but i needed something better than another stocker which i knew would eventually fail. sure i was expecting big numbers from my build but don't we all? my 451 in my 'cuda was easier to work on than my mates 440 & junky old hooker headers would fit easily & could be moved over for head retorquing without too much profanity. personaly i feel low decks are great sleeper motors as the ch*v & f*rd boys don't know what they're up against & they become rather sheepish when you take them out with what they think is a small block. a certain Mr Mustang with a 428 hasn't been back since a 340 'cuda put him on the trailer lol.

Thanks alot mate, is that you in that car lol
Unfortunately your not the only bloke that has been had by the misterious bulldog!

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: rtstreet] #488901
10/07/09 08:50 AM
10/07/09 08:50 AM
Hamilton,Ont
72chrgrally Offline
top fuel
72chrgrally  Offline
top fuel

Hamilton,Ont
Quote:

I'm in the same boat as Andy, I need a low deck for my application. I know my factory block is a ticking time bomb and an alloy block is not in the budget for me. A cast iron low deck racing block at a resonable cost would fit my needs to a T. I hope you guys can make it happen.
Steve

Photobucket sucks
Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: 72chrgrally] #488902
10/07/09 09:22 AM
10/07/09 09:22 AM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

Quote:

I'm in the same boat as Andy, I need a low deck for my application. I know my factory block is a ticking time bomb and an alloy block is not in the budget for me. A cast iron low deck racing block at a resonable cost would fit my needs to a T. I hope you guys can make it happen.
Steve

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: 72chrgrally] #488903
10/07/09 09:40 AM
10/07/09 09:40 AM
Quebec, Canada
D
Diablo Offline
super stock
Diablo  Offline
super stock
D

Quebec, Canada
I've lately heard of people talking about wanting low deck blocks but when it comes RIGHT down to it are they really going to buy them? Some will for sure but once that first set of go getters are out of the way is the market still there for years to come.... I'm not so sure.

From what i have read and heard your KP blocks are amazing pieces of work and Koffles would back them, if they weren't!

This might be a silly idea but someone said they were gonna try and cut the deck height of your RB block to a low deck. Would it be easier to just change something on your already good RB to allow them to be cut down to Low decks if the customer wants? I'm probably missing something that wont allow for this.

Another good point is alot of people are wanting to go BIGGER and BIGGER cause its getting cheaper to build 540-572ci engines. Maybe look at what the main cubes were in engines five ten years ago and look where they are now.... and then guess where they might be in 5 years. In my mind i think we would be seeing more 572ci then 500's. and we will be turning the BIG cubes just like the 500ci's. But that's just my guess. I know the 600-650ci around here are running 8000-8500rpm for a good 20 seconds every run making 30-40 paces a summer. and the NTPA boys are doing closer to 100 hooks a season. (they all use iron blocks)

I guess what my little point is as technology changes were trying to get the BIG cubes to make the same cube to hp ratio as the smaller ones and its slowly catching up.

Maybe the best bet would be is ask what Koffles or Muscle Motors would like to see.

You know what i would like to see (4.840bs)

Doug

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: Diablo] #488904
10/07/09 10:31 AM
10/07/09 10:31 AM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

I've lately heard of people talking about wanting low deck blocks but when it comes RIGHT down to it are they really going to buy them? Some will for sure but once that first set of go getters are out of the way is the market still there for years to come.... I'm not so sure.

From what i have read and heard your KP blocks are amazing pieces of work and Koffles would back them, if they weren't!

This might be a silly idea but someone said they were gonna try and cut the deck height of your RB block to a low deck. Would it be easier to just change something on your already good RB to allow them to be cut down to Low decks if the customer wants? I'm probably missing something that wont allow for this.

Another good point is alot of people are wanting to go BIGGER and BIGGER cause its getting cheaper to build 540-572ci engines. Maybe look at what the main cubes were in engines five ten years ago and look where they are now.... and then guess where they might be in 5 years. In my mind i think we would be seeing more 572ci then 500's. and we will be turning the BIG cubes just like the 500ci's. But that's just my guess. I know the 600-650ci around here are running 8000-8500rpm for a good 20 seconds every run making 30-40 paces a summer. and the NTPA boys are doing closer to 100 hooks a season. (they all use iron blocks)

I guess what my little point is as technology changes were trying to get the BIG cubes to make the same cube to hp ratio as the smaller ones and its slowly catching up.

Maybe the best bet would be is ask what Koffles or Muscle Motors would like to see.

You know what i would like to see (4.840bs)

Doug

You are absolutely right Diablo some people are tire kickers.It would seem that all you would have to do to a RB block to make it a Low Deck is mill the deck down, but its just not the case, for example the stock for the head bolts would be one thing the biggest diffrence though however is how your tooling is set up.Sorry about not having the 4.84 in production yet, but you know how the story goes one thing at a time.

Thanks for talking us up!!!

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488905
10/07/09 10:41 AM
10/07/09 10:41 AM
Eagleville Tn.
rtstreet Offline
mopar
rtstreet  Offline
mopar

Eagleville Tn.
Quote:

Quote:

iron,
1= i think more week in and week out racers would like it better (heat soak, valve adj wont change as much with engine temp changes, more consistant)
2= cost
3= tighter valve to piston, piston to head
4= more hp
and a few other things

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: rtstreet] #488906
10/07/09 11:01 AM
10/07/09 11:01 AM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

iron,
1= i think more week in and week out racers would like it better (heat soak, valve adj wont change as much with engine temp changes, more consistant)
2= cost
3= tighter valve to piston, piston to head
4= more hp
and a few other things

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488907
10/08/09 11:21 AM
10/08/09 11:21 AM
Mass.
R
RO23J71 Offline
RO23J71  Offline
R

Mass.
Bear, I am building a 512 right now using a 72 400 block. I did a partial fill on it. I have a BCR girdle kit w/ aluminum caps. So, let's see, $300.00 for the block.
$100.00 to clean it.
$100.00 to Mag it.
$ 75.00 to fill it.
$600.00 for girdle kit.
$4 or 500.00 to install girdle kit
?????? Machine work ???????

I will say approx. $2,000.00 into a stock block which I will still have to worry about. I will pay the extra money for your block. A 4.5 bore. Better oiling. Stronger mains. Stronger block all around.

I will place the order right now if you want to take pre-orders. I think you will find the market for the low deck is there, Your quality seems to be outstanding. If you do the same with the low deck you should sell some blocks.

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: RO23J71] #488908
10/08/09 11:40 AM
10/08/09 11:40 AM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

Bear, I am building a 512 right now using a 72 400 block. I did a partial fill on it. I have a BCR girdle kit w/ aluminum caps. So, let's see, $300.00 for the block.
$100.00 to clean it.
$100.00 to Mag it.
$ 75.00 to fill it.
$600.00 for girdle kit.
$4 or 500.00 to install girdle kit
?????? Machine work ???????

I will say approx. $2,000.00 into a stock block which I will still have to worry about. I will pay the extra money for your block. A 4.5 bore. Better oiling. Stronger mains. Stronger block all around.

I will place the order right now if you want to take pre-orders. I think you will find the market for the low deck is there, Your quality seems to be outstanding. If you do the same with the low deck you should sell some blocks.

You bring up some very good points my friend.We still need to do some tweeking to the patterns but it is doable.We do not want to take ANYONES money until we actally have the product, even though it is EXTREMLY tempting.Just getting some extra assurance that people will in fact buy them means a world of difference!
We really appreciate the comments and hope to gain your business!!!

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488909
10/09/09 01:47 PM
10/09/09 01:47 PM
Montgomery, Texas
O
OneRunSon Offline
OneRunSon  Offline
O

Montgomery, Texas
BIG BEAR, if you did make the (IRON) low deck how much heavier would be than the factory low deck block? hopefully not much.

Fred Vandiver
Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: OneRunSon] #488910
10/10/09 12:16 AM
10/10/09 12:16 AM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

BIG BEAR, if you did make the (IRON) low deck how much heavier would be than the factory low deck block? hopefully not much.

Until we actually machine one to completion its kind of hard to say.But whatever the differance,I would have to believe the strenght gained and the capabilities of the block would exceed the weight difference! And if we end up casting the way we intend to, we will end up with a much more substantial deck!

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488911
10/10/09 12:48 AM
10/10/09 12:48 AM
huron,ohio
B
b1headman Offline
mopar
b1headman  Offline
mopar
B

huron,ohio
Guy's, You have to realise that you can't have all the options without a weight penalty.Thicker bores dual pattern belhousings steel billet main caps etc. add weight. Marty i feel you and steve have done a great job to get where we are now.For the foks out there we should have the first al block on the dyno before christmas.We will post pic's and results when done here on martys site and on our site.I can tell you that the al block with sleeves and billet caps weigh in at 132 lbs.We are very pumped with the project.Thanks,Scott

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: b1headman] #488912
10/10/09 12:05 PM
10/10/09 12:05 PM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

Guy's, You have to realise that you can't have all the options without a weight penalty.Thicker bores dual pattern belhousings steel billet main caps etc. add weight. Marty i feel you and steve have done a great job to get where we are now.For the foks out there we should have the first al block on the dyno before christmas.We will post pic's and results when done here on martys site and on our site.I can tell you that the al block with sleeves and billet caps weigh in at 132 lbs.We are very pumped with the project.Thanks,Scott

Thanks alot Scott, we really appreciate that coming from you! It's good to hear that you are making progress on that engine.Keep in mind the production blocks may differ slightly just as the iron one did.

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488913
10/10/09 12:48 PM
10/10/09 12:48 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well there are low deck options out there for sure. Indy and KB have been mentioned already. I have a KB low deck in my heap. There are NO options in low deck iron. Is there a market, probably, will they buy it, maybe. It certainly is an unfilled void in the Mopar aftermarket block arena, so if I were looking to sell more product I think I would look to the untapped areas.

As I am sure you are well aware in business if you dont have marketing you will not sell a lot of product. Word of mouth only goes so far. My best example in the Mopar aftermarket would be Indy Cylinder Head. You see post after post here about how these guys are rude to customers and so on. Yet go through the pits at a Mopar event and tell me what you see, Indy this Indy that. They have a very good marketing machine and people know who they are. Heck pick up any Mopar rag out there and thier name is plastered all over it. Good or bad anytime thier name comes up it is an advertisement for them. If you want to move product people HAVE to know who you are and what you can do for them. Froom what I have heard you blocks are very nice pieces. But unless folks know they are out there they may end up going the route of Brewer heads. I hope it does not hapopen and with you all the luck in the world but Mopar guys are a fickle bunch for sure...Just my

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4