BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

Quote:

So I guess my biggest question is is it worth the rest of my life savings to develop the low deck or is it better off in the hands of a different manufacturer.

well as much as i'd like to see more block choices i'd have to look at this one in great depth. given the economy and number of people running chryslers i'd be reluctant to risk all that. yes there has/would be a market for a lo deck but would it be enough to offset the cost and make money? there seems to be a trend of larger and larger displacements and with the bb bore spacing it tends to come in stroke which favors a taller deck. currently there are more choices than ever for chrysler blocks although the lo deck afaik would only be available in aluminum from indy or KB who seems is still taking orders for and delivering blocks. it would be nice to have more lo deck choices but i don't know if i'd leverage my retirement on it.

Now there is a true honest to goodness answer, thank you sir, that is really good of you.

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488875
10/05/09 11:26 PM
10/05/09 11:26 PM
new jersey
G
gillman34 Offline
mopar
gillman34  Offline
mopar
G

new jersey
Great, I have one of your blocks in my car right now!!!! Bought it from Dave Koffel in March.
Believe me I know what patterns and castings cost.I did'nt realise you had an existing pattern,cores and molds.
BTW I talked about deck thickness with Dave, as I wanted to cut the deck on the KP440 to a low deck.I left it a r/b.
If I can be of any help,just ask!
Steve

Last edited by gillman34; 10/05/09 11:26 PM.
Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: gillman34] #488876
10/06/09 01:12 AM
10/06/09 01:12 AM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

Great, I have one of your blocks in my car right now!!!! Bought it from Dave Koffel in March.
Believe me I know what patterns and castings cost.I did'nt realise you had an existing pattern,cores and molds.
BTW I talked about deck thickness with Dave, as I wanted to cut the deck on the KP440 to a low deck.I left it a r/b.
If I can be of any help,just ask!
Steve

Ahhhh thats right the Predator guy, how could I forget. Hey thanks alot thats great, we really appreciate you going with our block, how is it working out for you if I may ask??

p.s.- how about those Wheatcrafts

Last edited by BIG BEAR; 10/06/09 01:23 AM.
Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488877
10/06/09 04:53 AM
10/06/09 04:53 AM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
Bear one thing that Steve hit on would definitely be on my list and that's the chevy pattern. if you're basically starting a race block from scratch i don't know why you wouldn't put both patterns on there. i understand is cost more but as a consumer i know i'd pay more for that convenience. being a race block there's a lot of people that are going to want to bolt something other than a 727 on the back of it.

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: jamesc] #488878
10/06/09 05:41 AM
10/06/09 05:41 AM
aotearoa
rebel Offline
master
rebel  Offline
master

aotearoa
i for one wouldn't hessitate to buy an aftermarket low block in cast iron or similar. i already bought a maxx alloy low block but would like to be able to have a capable spare shortblock waiting in the wings incase of emergencies. i killed a few stock blocks but would rather stay at the low deck diamensions for ease of fitment in the racecar & streetcar. bonus point is the chev & ford boys think it's a small block.

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: jamesc] #488879
10/06/09 07:37 AM
10/06/09 07:37 AM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

Bear one thing that Steve hit on would definitely be on my list and that's the chevy pattern. if you're basically starting a race block from scratch i don't know why you wouldn't put both patterns on there. i understand is cost more but as a consumer i know i'd pay more for that convenience. being a race block there's a lot of people that are going to want to bolt something other than a 727 on the back of it.

The duel bellhousing idea is not as hard as the chevy style skirt and we thought of that on the blocks, but there again it would come down to the demand

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488880
10/06/09 07:46 AM
10/06/09 07:46 AM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
Here's how I see it, you can get an aluminum low deck from KB or Indy right? Noone offers an aftermarket iron low deck block...there you go. It'll be cheaper than the alloy block, so naturally you'll sell more of the iron block. Don't simply give another option for an aluminum block, produce something that's not currently available. CHIP

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: rebel] #488881
10/06/09 07:47 AM
10/06/09 07:47 AM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

i for one wouldn't hessitate to buy an aftermarket low block in cast iron or similar. i already bought a maxx alloy low block but would like to be able to have a capable spare shortblock waiting in the wings incase of emergencies. i killed a few stock blocks but would rather stay at the low deck diamensions for ease of fitment in the racecar & streetcar. bonus point is the chev & ford boys think it's a small block.

thanks for the input!

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488882
10/06/09 08:16 AM
10/06/09 08:16 AM
Shelby Twp. Mi
HardcoreB Offline
master
HardcoreB  Offline
master

Shelby Twp. Mi
I was thinking the same way as Chip here...Produce something that isn't already available. The RB 'World' block is an example. IMO Your block sales would be higher if you had solely produced a designated 'B' engine with the architecture that Steve Gillman described from the beginning IMO. However, I don't know if you'd get a 4.6" bore into 4.8" B.S. block?

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488883
10/06/09 08:33 AM
10/06/09 08:33 AM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Quote:

yes and both

Please don't take offence to this but thats what everyone sayed about the 440. We are getting some sales that we are very very greatful for but I dont know if its the economy or what but it just doesnt seem like its there. So I guess my biggest question is is it worth the rest of my life savings to develop the low deck or is it better off in the hands of a different manufacturer. I'm not trying to rant but we are just trying to come out with stuff EVERYONE will want and keep it all in the USA. Thank You

In this case maybe then just do Iron unless your alum version will be cheaper and better than what is already available from Indy and KB .

I'm also sure the economy has an effect on the sales , plus the original price of your blocks , you can thank the seller of CCJ for blowing wind up everyones skirt and touting $1500 blocks before the idea was even on paper , then not delivering the goods .

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: JohnRR] #488884
10/06/09 09:10 AM
10/06/09 09:10 AM
Michigan
H
Hemiroid Offline
super stock
Hemiroid  Offline
super stock
H

Michigan
I really think it would come down to what the retail cost ends up being. If it came in at $3000 like your rb I doubt sales would be great. If the cost was under $2,500, which would compete with World rb blocks, then you might sell enough of them to see a return on your investment.

The last thing I would do is add the GM bolt pattern if it increases the cost any at all. If it's doable without increasing the retail cost, then of course do it. I don't understand why it's even needed when you can just use Ultra Bells or Reid cases which I believe (??) can be had with a Mopar bell

As someone else mentioned, the current trend of the masses seems to be building big inch motors, and the low deck isn't the block of choice there at the moment as it's limited by design. I'm not sure how raising the cam works in a low deck, but if it's doable and would allow one to use more arm with the short deck then that would certainly make a low deck much more attractive.

Thanks for having the guts to do what you do. It's guys like you that keep our hobby alive and I wish you nothing but the best in whatever you decide to do.

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: Hemiroid] #488885
10/06/09 09:13 AM
10/06/09 09:13 AM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

As someone else mentioned, the current trend of the masses seems to be building big inch motors, and the low deck isn't the block of choice there at the moment as it's limited by design. I'm not sure how raising the cam works in a low deck, but if it's doable and would allow one to use more arm with the short deck then that would certainly make a low deck much more attractive.

After seeing this and thinking about it this may be a lost cause , people have been crying for low decks for years and MP at one point promised it , but someone there must have looked in their crystal ball and saw the future and decided against it .

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: JohnRR] #488886
10/06/09 09:23 AM
10/06/09 09:23 AM
Shelby Twp. Mi
HardcoreB Offline
master
HardcoreB  Offline
master

Shelby Twp. Mi
Quote:

plus the original price of your blocks , you can thank the seller of CCJ for blowing wind up everyones skirt and touting $1500 blocks before the idea was even on paper , then not delivering the goods .

Although true, I don't think that is what was hurting the sales...I believe like I stated the current block has good competition ($$$) in the similar World block.

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: HardcoreB] #488887
10/06/09 12:47 PM
10/06/09 12:47 PM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Quote:

plus the original price of your blocks , you can thank the seller of CCJ for blowing wind up everyones skirt and touting $1500 blocks before the idea was even on paper , then not delivering the goods .

Although true, I don't think that is what was hurting the sales...I believe like I stated the current block has good competition ($$$) in the similar World block.

The lovers of CCJ balked at the price of the World block so the Koleno being higher had an even smaller audience .

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: Hemiroid] #488888
10/06/09 04:28 PM
10/06/09 04:28 PM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

I really think it would come down to what the retail cost ends up being. If it came in at $3000 like your rb I doubt sales would be great. If the cost was under $2,500, which would compete with World rb blocks, then you might sell enough of them to see a return on your investment.

The last thing I would do is add the GM bolt pattern if it increases the cost any at all. If it's doable without increasing the retail cost, then of course do it. I don't understand why it's even needed when you can just use Ultra Bells or Reid cases which I believe (??) can be had with a Mopar bell

Thanks for having the guts to do what you do. It's guys like you that keep our hobby alive and I wish you nothing but the best in whatever you decide to do.

I'm not trying to let but are'nt
steel billet caps better than ductile
screw in plugs better than pop ins
arp hardware better than just about anyones
the ability to go 4.5 with .300+ wall thickness
strenthening ribs and fully machined except for finishing the cylinders and decking by Roush
pretty outstanding atributes??? I mean come on the caps alone are worth at least about $400!!!

I think your are right about the bellhousing deal.I dont understand the concept fully myself, why not just get a different bellhousing, and are'nt there issues with the starter??

Thank you very much, we appreciate it

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: HardcoreB] #488889
10/06/09 04:33 PM
10/06/09 04:33 PM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

Quote:

The World block, Indy block, KB block, Koleno block and so on are all quality pieces, and each has its own cool thing about it!

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: JohnRR] #488890
10/06/09 04:39 PM
10/06/09 04:39 PM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The lovers of CCJ balked at the price of the World block so the Koleno being higher had an even smaller audience .

Well I'm not sure how they came up with $1,500 but to me I can't see how a company can sell a RB iron block for less $2,500 and aluminum for $3,500 especially to the racer!

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488891
10/06/09 05:33 PM
10/06/09 05:33 PM
Michigan
H
Hemiroid Offline
super stock
Hemiroid  Offline
super stock
H

Michigan
Quote:

strenthening ribs and fully machined except for finishing the cylinders and decking by Roush
pretty outstanding atributes??? I mean come on the caps alone are worth at least about $400!!!

I think your are right about the bellhousing deal.I dont understand the concept fully myself, why not just get a different bellhousing, and are'nt there issues with the starter??

I agree with you 100%. I believe your block is better and worth the extra money. Unfortunately I'm not a good barometer of the overall market. If a guy hears that a world block will suffice, and it's on sale for $2,350 and yours is $3000, that guy has a way of forgetting your blocks attributes and focusing on price alone. There are those of us who are willing to pay the difference to get the best, but I think there's more of them then there are of us.

If I was building a engine with a iron block, it would be yours hands down!

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: Hemiroid] #488892
10/06/09 05:52 PM
10/06/09 05:52 PM
IN
B
BIG BEAR Offline OP
mopar
BIG BEAR  Offline OP
mopar
B

IN
Quote:

Quote:

I agree with you 100%. I believe your block is better and worth the extra money. Unfortunately I'm not a good barometer of the overall market. If a guy hears that a world block will suffice, and it's on sale for $2,350 and yours is $3000, that guy has a way of forgetting your blocks attributes and focusing on price alone. There are those of us who are willing to pay the difference to get the best, but I think there's more of them then there are of us.

If I was building a engine with a iron block, it would be yours hands down! [/quote

And we would love to sell you one

Thanks bud

Re: Low Deck ?'s [Re: BIG BEAR] #488893
10/06/09 09:15 PM
10/06/09 09:15 PM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well I'm not sure how they came up with $1,500 but to me I can't see how a company can sell a RB iron block for less $2,500 and aluminum for $3,500 especially to the racer!

Those that can't understand why Mopar parts aren't the same price as small block chevy parts I am pretty sure threw out $1500 as a number ...

Last edited by Johnahah; 10/06/09 09:17 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4