09/28/09 09:24 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
Here's a little story about people that are too deeply into their routine
I had to run a guy (good Racer-usually in the $$ rounds) that always had to stage first (His preference). so I made sure I Pre staged first and when he pre-staged I immediately bumped in...He didn’t know weather to S--T or go blind he got so hot (under the collar). Then I tree'd him and ran my number for the win. In the pits he called me every name he could think of (and a few he got from others)
I had made no agreement to let him stage first but He assumed that because it was known…That everyone would allow it. Wrong again honey…
Dont put yourself in positions of week-ness, If you have a preference don’t tell anyone…better yet don’t have one
Run your lane and get on with it.
Just thought I'd share.

'01 P1500, Blown/Inj BAE,/Veney ,Bruno/CS2,Dana 60
'01 Dodge 3500 S Cummins Auto, Fresh air kit, 4" Exhaust,
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T - Too Much to list
'60 Willys CJ5
'01 International LPX - Project,DT466, Allison
'64 Plymouth Valiant, Inj 528 Hemi, 2spd
Re: common courtesy [Re: MR_P_BODY] #482604
09/28/09 09:25 PM
09/28/09 09:25 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

sometimes it's mandatory and sometimes it's not. but for the life of me I don't understand what difference it makes.

Re: common courtesy [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #482605
09/28/09 09:30 PM
09/28/09 09:30 PM
Big Western Pencilveinya
U
Uncle Barry Offline
super stock
Uncle Barry  Offline
super stock
U

Big Western Pencilveinya
Quote:

Here's a little story about people that are too deeply into their routine
I had to run a guy (good Racer-usually in the $$ rounds) that always had to stage first (His preference). so I made sure I Pre staged first and when he pre-staged I immediately bumped in...He didn’t know weather to S--T or go blind he got so hot (under the collar). Then I tree'd him and ran my number for the win. In the pits he called me every name he could think of (and a few he got from others)
I had made no agreement to let him stage first but He assumed that because it was known…That everyone would allow it. Wrong again honey…
Dont put yourself in positions of week-ness, If you have a preference don’t tell anyone…better yet don’t have one
Run your lane and get on with it.
Just thought I'd share.

you should have handed him a kleenex then told him to load up and go home.

Re: common courtesy [Re: Uncle Barry] #482606
09/28/09 09:34 PM
09/28/09 09:34 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
Quote:

i never raced on a .400 tree before. i never double bulb, if i would, it would be accidental. i could care less if it happens to me. if that kinda thing shakes racers up, you should look into a different form of racing.... they can double bulb me all they want. doesnt phase me a bit. i got more important things on my mind at that moment

Most Pro tree racing done at the sportsman level is Super class racing. If I recall correctly (been many years)it is a rule to couresy stage(also no deep stageing)
Sorry Quick tree if imissed stepped on your post

'60 Willys CJ5
Re: common courtesy [Re: W.I.N. Racing] #482607
09/28/09 09:36 PM
09/28/09 09:36 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

i never raced on a .400 tree before. i never double bulb, if i would, it would be accidental. i could care less if it happens to me. if that kinda thing shakes racers up, you should look into a different form of racing.... they can double bulb me all they want. doesnt phase me a bit. i got more important things on my mind at that moment

Most Pro tree racing done at the sportsman level is Super class racing. If I recall correctly (been many years)it is a rule to couresy stage(also no deep stageing)
Sorry Quick tree if imissed stepped on your post

no problem, just playing with the babies

Re: common courtesy [Re: Uncle Barry] #482608
09/28/09 09:39 PM
09/28/09 09:39 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
They will back you out in the super classes for double bulbing.....it doesn't matter to me though, I like lighting the last bulb, but I been known to take my sweet time pre-staging on anyone that does, I will say I don't see it happening all that much though.

Rickster

Re: common courtesy [Re: rickstershemi] #482609
09/28/09 09:45 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
actually this part p'ss me off..
twice in late rounds...ive had a buddy.
double bulb....
when he tried to back out....(which he did)
the other car pulled in ....
they red lit my buddy's lane..
the second time...he put the top bulb out.
then tried to back up...and i am talking quickly...
the other lane double bulbed and he was out on time..
in both cases..it was a trans brake issue.
which has been fixed..but..
IMHO...he was backed out in time.
and the "starter" could have made sure things happend properly..? not sure if the starter has the abiltiy..?
fwiw its an 8sec supergas daytona...and those shifters aint that easy to get in to reverse then back in to forward..
i told him if it happens again..just stay staged..and make the run..
cheapst
here is the video of the last one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUtsEXSiHKU&feature=related

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: common courtesy [Re: Leon441] #482610
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
This is backup For those who posted basically the same thing I was saying so no-one misses where the rule stands in NHRA

Quote:

I have personally seen this happen on two different occassions at two different tracks(NOT NHRA).

This is where I edited the post

Evidently somewhere in the last 15 years of being an NHRA member, not going to take the time to look it up, the rule seems to dissapeared. Used to be a rule in Race Procedures if I remember where it was correctly. Stating to courtesy stage. No points deducted or rounds overturned for not doing it but just a rule with no concesquences. The starter could back you out and make you restage, I guess.

I just looked in my NHRA 2009 rule book under Race Procedures, which I beleive has moved to the front half of the book. This is what it says..
"When staging in SS,S,SC,SG, or SStreet categories, both contestants must activate their pre-stage lights before either may advace into the stage beams." In other words courtesy stage.

Leon
For whatever that was worth

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: common courtesy [Re: Quicktree] #482611
09/28/09 09:56 PM
09/28/09 09:56 PM
toledo, ohio
plasticfantastic Offline
top fuel
plasticfantastic  Offline
top fuel

toledo, ohio
in those classes that Leon mentions, I totally agree, and have in the past as starter at Milan backed people out to have them restage...

BUT if i'm bracket racing, and i need to go deep, i'm telling the guy in the lanes i'm bumping in deep and its nothing against him, its not a head game its not to throw him off, its just that I'm making sure I'm in deep...
I drive around the water, pull up and deep stage, if he wants to sit there 5 minutes to prestage, thats fine with me... if he wants to rush through his burn out to rush up and beat me into stage, thats fine with me too,
I belive in courtesy staging, but it doesnt always go both ways, you think that if someone knows you go deep, they are going to let you pre stage first, they pre stage, and then they let you go deep before they stage???
Most think its all fair when someone double bulbs a deep stager in BRACKET racing where deep staging ALLOWED.

When I race and go deep, I dont give a crap about what you want, I didnt enter the race to make it easier for you, at least i'm letting you know i'm going up there and doing it and you can take all the time you want.

and doing this isnt being afraid of someone, or trying to throw them off becuase i cant race or dont think i would win if i didnt... its my routine and its what i do when i race my street car, if the other guy cant handle it, tough.

if i'm racing the road runner, I always courtesy stage. ALWAYS

Re: common courtesy [Re: plasticfantastic] #482612
09/28/09 10:07 PM
09/28/09 10:07 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
My comments are bracket racing oriented (except the protree issue)
As I stated most protree racing at the sportsman level is class racing and there is a certain decorum that is followed in those circles (its cold out there if you dont play nice) but bracket racing is " just dont hose your buddy" - if you do buy him a and all is good

'60 Willys CJ5
Re: common courtesy [Re: Leon441] #482613
09/28/09 10:11 PM
09/28/09 10:11 PM
Anoka County, MN
L
Leigh Offline
master
Leigh  Offline
master
L

Anoka County, MN
Go to the tower, and have them show you the stage to start time setting. They shouldn't care, as the auto start sequence is random after that time has expired. Once aware of that setting, sit there until forced to stage, knowing if you've got to chop chop, or be casual. As for the last minute dial in change days, I got severe flak for having my window rolled down until the last moment when racing a local guy who always had his brother using a calculator to figure out the delay settings in the pre-crossover box days.

Re: common courtesy [Re: Leigh] #482614
09/28/09 11:20 PM
09/28/09 11:20 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I never had a problem with people not following the "rule". I did however get in a burn down one day that resulted in our cars being pulled off the line by the track director, who called in over the radio to back us out. Said we were holding up his show and he would let us stage again and would DQ the both of us if we didn't stage in 5 seconds.

So I don't know how burndowns work at you guy's tracks.

Only reason it happened was that I was prestaged and the guy kept blipping his throttle. Like 12 times or so. I found it kinda wierd so I let him prestage and before I went to full stage, he started the blipping deal again.

So I figure he has a problem and I would let him go in first when he was ready, or maybe abort if he didn't like what he was seeing on his dash or???

So he just kept doing it, and doing it. Finally, I decided he was doing it to tick me off for some reason so I turned my fans on high and decided we would be here awhile if that was his deal. I had an alt so I was all good.

That is the first and only time I have ever seen cars called back for not staging. I raced for years and have been as a spectator many times and not seen that any other time. I can see why the director got mad but Idid think burndowns were apart of the show sometimes.

The guy went red when we went the second time.

I want my fair share
Re: common courtesy [Re: SomeCarGuy] #482615
09/28/09 11:36 PM
09/28/09 11:36 PM
In the tower
RonTheAnnouncer Offline
master
RonTheAnnouncer  Offline
master

In the tower
Double bulbing doesn't bother me. It show inexperience on the part of the other racer usually. I may let that person wait a wee bit longer as I check my seatbelt, get my posterior just right in the seat, check the volume on my radio...

Ron H.
"Just when you think you have all of the answers...I change the questions!" "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
Re: common courtesy [Re: RonTheAnnouncer] #482616
09/29/09 12:20 AM
09/29/09 12:20 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
As Leon alluded,
Courtesy staging is REQUIRED in the NHRA Super Classes. I was at the National in Houston in 2001, and saw Rick Stewart back a finalist off for double bulbing, the guy did it a second time, and Rick DQed him, backed him off, and gave his competition a single in a National Event Final, so they are serious about it.
We had a Div. 7 SST racer who was absolutely deadly on the tree, and had a modified version of the double bulb. He would wait for you to turn on the top bulb, then drive strait into both of his, and boom, up against the 2-step, obviously you couldn't burn him down, because the auto-Start was on. Once we figured him out, my buddies and I refused to stage on the top bulb first..we'd start our burnout after him, and not even approach the tree until he put on the top bulb!! The starter was looking at us, it was like a reverse burndown!! Totally screwed him up, he lost the next 4 divisionals in first round with bad lights, and hasn't been a threat since!

If it happens to me in a bracket race I will absolutely burn the guy down, no qualms about it whatsoever.

I'll tell you this also, If anyone ever walked into my pit, after a race, to complain about my staging techniques, they'd be on thier backside by the third word...There is more to "drag racing etiquette" than just what happens on the sarting line.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: common courtesy [Re: Quicktree] #482617
09/29/09 12:41 AM
09/29/09 12:41 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

sometimes it's mandatory and sometimes it's not. but for the life of me I don't understand what difference it makes.

I could Care less too, if you want to get in there fast/double bulb, so be it. You race your race and I will race mine. What does it really matter It doesnt! Well unless its mandatory.

I admit though, that I will usually wait till the other guy will single stage before I will double bulb. Why, because it seems to matter to others. I can go with the flow for the mike

Re: common courtesy [Re: ben1692] #482618
09/29/09 01:07 AM
09/29/09 01:07 AM
Btween a rock and a hard place
moparlulu Offline
super stock
moparlulu  Offline
super stock

Btween a rock and a hard place
Up here at firebird [The Idaho one] at any points race. If you don't courtesy stage during eliminations you will get the red bulb. Time trials they let it go.

Re: common courtesy [Re: Sport440] #482619
09/29/09 01:21 AM
09/29/09 01:21 AM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Quote:

Quote:

I could Care less too, if you want to get in there fast/double bulb, so be it. You race your race and I will race mine. What does it really matter It doesnt! Well unless its mandatory.

I admit though, that I will usually wait till the other guy will single stage before I will double bulb. Why, because it seems to matter to others. I can go with the flow for the mike

Thats exactly what I was going to say!

I think it would be best if they had just one stage light, then after both guys stage a random timer starts a countdown to GO! you know it's time to go because a single green light flashes, now that would be fun Imagine no yellow lights counting down, no double bulbing just hit the gas when it turns green, how simple could it be

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: common courtesy [Re: moparlulu] #482620
09/29/09 01:25 AM
09/29/09 01:25 AM
Michigan, US
B
ben1692 Offline OP
ben1692  Offline OP
B

Michigan, US
i wish i live in idaho

Re: common courtesy [Re: ben1692] #482621
09/29/09 02:19 AM
09/29/09 02:19 AM
WA
JD Dart Offline
super stock
JD Dart  Offline
super stock

WA
You all will probably hate me for this. But I purposely double bulb the opponents at pinks all out on the second day. They had the .400 pro tree and as soon as they both would stage the tree went on could never get the convertor to come up high enough for a good 60’ But that was the only time I did it made me feel bad and I wasn’t going to do it but they had the drivers meeting and said do whatever you have to do to get up on the convertor but they were going to keep the tree on manual.

best so far 8.53 @ 158.59 MPH 60'1.240
Re: common courtesy [Re: JD Dart] #482622
09/29/09 03:15 AM
09/29/09 03:15 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Double bulbed..never done it,had it done to me several times no big deal i just do my routine if your all in thats fine,that means your sitting there waiting for me..

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7