01/01/10 12:47 PM
01/01/10 12:47 PM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
Isn't that a drum brake master cylinder?

I could be wrong, but ....
1970 power drum brakes e-bodies had black painted boosters and "natural" master cylinders.
The drum brake master cylinder should have the bolt on cap NOT the bail-wire captured cap.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: RJS] #481355
01/01/10 12:50 PM
01/01/10 12:50 PM
NORTHERN VA
T
THESHAKERPROJECT Offline
super stock
THESHAKERPROJECT  Offline
super stock
T

NORTHERN VA
Quote:

Could you list EXACTLY what was done to your trans to warrant that cost???

I had Frank and his bodyman visit me last year for an estemate to finish my Challenger body (after the metalcrafting was done at another shop ) and to just finish the paint and bodywork he was talkin $45-$50k PLUS 6K to 7K for materials !! I have no idea where he gets his prices. In your case, he probally sent the tranny to Passons and detailed it when he got it back. Frank is great at getting the details correct but I doubt if he even touched the inside of your trans. That price is just stupid high. Next time send it to Brewers or Passons and do the detailing yourself. BTW, get out the vinigar and dip those front rotors already.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: RJS] #481356
01/01/10 12:52 PM
01/01/10 12:52 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
When there is time, I will scan the receipts and you can all go to town on the fees that were incurred. The mechanical work itself was not expensive. The plating costs were out of control. The bottom line it was a hard lesson to learn but I am sure that Frank and his crew did everything correctly. Lets move on to a new topic with this resto, LOL....

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: 6bblgt] #481357
01/01/10 12:54 PM
01/01/10 12:54 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
Quote:

1970 power drum brakes e-bodies had black painted boosters and "natural" master cylinders.
The drum brake master cylinder should have the bolt on cap NOT the bail-wire captured cap.

the car came stock with drums in the rear and discs in the front

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: 6bblgt] #481358
01/01/10 12:56 PM
NORTHERN VA
T
THESHAKERPROJECT Offline
super stock
THESHAKERPROJECT  Offline
super stock
T

NORTHERN VA
Quote:

The master cylinder should have the bolt on cap NOT the bail-wire captured cap.

Is this not a disk brake car ? The master in the pic above looks like a drum brake master ??

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: THESHAKERPROJECT] #481359
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
Quote:

Quote:

Could you list EXACTLY what was done to your trans to warrant that cost???

I had Frank and his bodyman visit me last year for an estemate to finish my Challenger body (after the metalcrafting was done at another shop ) and to just finish the paint and bodywork he was talkin $45-$50k PLUS 6K to 7K for materials !! I have no idea where he gets his prices. In your case, he probally sent the tranny to Passons and detailed it when he got it back. Frank is great at getting the details correct but I doubt if he even touched the inside of your trans. That price is just stupid high. Next time send it to Brewers or Passons and do the detailing yourself. BTW, get out the vinigar and dip those front rotors already.

When you have national notoriety on these restos like he does, I guess that means you can charge whatever you want., LOL. Again and again, lesson learned.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: anlauto] #481360
01/01/10 01:01 PM
01/01/10 01:01 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Ok...I won't question the cost, or even the level of detail. I'm a hugh fan of Frank/Roger's work.
However:
What "plating" are we talking about on a 4 spd transmission?

Here's a picture of one I did awhile back...
It cost about $700 to have a new brass & seal kit installed by a reputable tranny shop, and then I detailed it my self.

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: 70plymA34] #481361
01/01/10 01:15 PM
01/01/10 01:15 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Again and again, lesson learned.

Hello,

Lesson learned should be, "never to disclose what it costs on Moparts or to anyone".

lol

Your car will be very nice when done! Congrats

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: 70plymA34] #481362
01/01/10 01:45 PM
01/01/10 01:45 PM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Quote:

Quote:

the car came stock with drums in the rear and disc's in the front

You have the wrong master cylinder. You need one for disc brakes, casting number should be 2229171.

Courtesy of Mastershake340.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: anlauto] #481363
01/01/10 02:30 PM
01/01/10 02:30 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
Quote:

Ok...I won't question the cost, or even the level of detail. I'm a hugh fan of Frank/Roger's work.
However:
What "plating" are we talking about on a 4 spd transmission?

Here's a picture of one I did awhile back...
It cost about $700 to have a new brass & seal kit installed by a reputable tranny shop, and then I detailed it my self.

alan,
this is why i have to upload the receipts so you can nickel and dime this thing to death. i appreciate your info when it comes along. Obviously you can do it cheaper because restorations are your living. (I assume). Now that I have this knowledge, I can do this differently next time when I start the next one. Frank did not send the trans to Passons or Brewers. It went to Performance Counts Automotive in Virginia.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: Snoopy] #481364
01/01/10 02:35 PM
01/01/10 02:35 PM
Roswell, GA - near Atlanta
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

The Moparts jury is still out on some of the details here but in defense of the owner, I want to state the following:

1) This is an LA built car and I think we've all seen some discrepancies on those cars.

2) The current owner is still in touch with the original owner, who has great info as to what is and is not original on this low mile car.

3) The owner has detailed photos of everything before the car was disassembled.

4) Almost everything, even the hoses were original on this car when the resto began.

5) Right or wrong, we believe this is the original master that this car was built with and it wasn't the black one.

6) The original fuel pump did not have overspray.

7) Everything might not be per spec but it is being restored, to the best of our abilities, they way we believe it was originally built.

8) THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.
If he decides he wants us to overspray the fuel pump or install a diferent master, we'll do it at no extra charge.

Martin, GA Quality Auto Restoration with Fair FIXED Pricing. Fast-N-Dangerous@comcast.net
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: cloneguy] #481365
01/01/10 02:43 PM
01/01/10 02:43 PM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
Anyone have pics of Mel Major's "survivor" '70 LA built 440 4bbl car? I think his car is a 4.10 car & would have PDBs. I'm sure I have a magazine here with it somewhere.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: cloneguy] #481366
01/01/10 03:44 PM
01/01/10 03:44 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

One important fact to remember when restoring anybody's 70 Cuda is that these are 40 year old cars. Parts got changed out all the time reguardless of how many owners it had or how many pictures were taken.
In the case of where an item is different then the norm (by that I mean the normal ones found and generally accepted by the judging public) without some sort of ROCK BOTTOM evidence (ie: pictures taken when the car was BRAND NEW)then it's in the best interest of the person(s) restoring the car to follow the norm.

For example...Lets say the previous owner had a picture of this car taking in 1971 and it clearly had that style of master cylinder on it, and to the best of his 40 year old memory, he can't remember it ever being changed.....THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT CORRECT.

I cannot argue that it's not correct as much as he can not argue that is is.

THEREFORE: The best option is to use the master cylinder that all the parts books say is correct and all the people viewing or judging the car say is correct and paint it the way that is most accepted as being correct.

As far as my understanding goes the crimpped style booster (midland ross I believe) all arrived assembled at the factory with the master cylinder and check valve, the entire unit was painted black together as an assembly.

When I state that things are "wrong" ...I'm referring to things being against the "norm" I'm sure there're variables

I'm only trying to help Tim and his gang restore the best Cuda they can.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: 340dart4spd ] #481367
01/01/10 06:20 PM
01/01/10 06:20 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
Quote:

Quote:

it was not cheap but supposedly he is one of the best out there and since my motor was done already I wanted the trans to be as nice. the whole trans job cost around $2400 and yes I think it was a little expensive.

WOW... I personaly think you could have had 3 of maybe even 4 at that price...... What did he replace every single piece in it.....

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: gomangoRTSE] #481368
01/01/10 06:28 PM
01/01/10 06:28 PM
340dart4spd Offline
Parts Problem
340dart4spd  Offline
Parts Problem

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

it was not cheap but supposedly he is one of the best out there and since my motor was done already I wanted the trans to be as nice. the whole trans job cost around $2400 and yes I think it was a little expensive.

WOW... I personaly think you could have had 3 of maybe even 4 at that price...... What did he replace every single piece in it.....

Who are you refering to in this post.. his or mine

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: anlauto] #481369
01/01/10 06:29 PM
01/01/10 06:29 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

One important fact to remember when restoring anybody's 70 Cuda is that these are 40 year old cars. Parts got changed out all the time reguardless of how many owners it had or how many pictures were taken.
In the case of where an item is different then the norm (by that I mean the normal ones found and generally accepted by the judging public) without some sort of ROCK BOTTOM evidence (ie: pictures taken when the car was BRAND NEW)then it's in the best interest of the person(s) restoring the car to follow the norm.

For example...Lets say the previous owner had a picture of this car taking in 1971 and it clearly had that style of master cylinder on it, and to the best of his 40 year old memory, he can't remember it ever being changed.....THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT CORRECT.

I cannot argue that it's not correct as much as he can not argue that is is.

THEREFORE: The best option is to use the master cylinder that all the parts books say is correct and all the people viewing or judging the car say is correct and paint it the way that is most accepted as being correct.

As far as my understanding goes the crimpped style booster (midland ross I believe) all arrived assembled at the factory with the master cylinder and check valve, the entire unit was painted black together as an assembly.

When I state that things are "wrong" ...I'm referring to things being against the "norm" I'm sure there're variables

I'm only trying to help Tim and his gang restore the best Cuda they can.

And we do appreciate the help!

I still get a chuckle about those brakes now and then and probably will every time we do another front end!

Martin, GA Quality Auto Restoration with Fair FIXED Pricing. Fast-N-Dangerous@comcast.net
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: 340dart4spd ] #481370
01/01/10 06:37 PM
01/01/10 06:37 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who are you refering to in this post.. his or mine

No, I was referring to the outrageous price for rebuilding the transmission. Ridiculous, and even if the case and/or linkages were correctly coated (plated) I dont see the value. Im not afraid to say it. I guess you pay $1600 or more for reputation nowadays. Buyer beware when the repairman and customer are not on the same page with a written estimate. Lesson learned to the rest of us.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: anlauto] #481371
01/08/10 09:54 AM
01/08/10 09:54 AM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

This thing done yet Tim....

Where's some pictures of the whole car?

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: anlauto] #481372
01/08/10 12:31 PM
01/08/10 12:31 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
Quote:

This thing done yet Tim....

Where's some pictures of the whole car?

Patience Alan.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: anlauto] #481373
01/08/10 12:37 PM
01/08/10 12:37 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

I'll post more photos today.

Unfortunately, it's not quite done. We're still jumping through hoops getting a few misc parts.

BUT MOSTLY, you snow guys up north have conspired against us and sent in weather that's 30-40 degrees below normal. We're real "he men" when it comes to working in the heat but we're like a bunch of little girls with this cold weather! We have heat pumps down here. They are air conditioners that work in reverse during the winter and they can't keep up when it's this cold. The other day, we walked into the shop and it was 16 degrees f inside. We ran back to Mike's house like the place was on fire.

Please pray that we survive.

More soon...

Page 10 of 24 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 23 24