10/14/09 11:05 AM
10/14/09 11:05 AM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
Also if anyone needs help on restoring their 70 cuda, I have lots of sources and reference photos of parts and small components. I lucked out with this car. All of the components were original down to the starter relay. A lot of the parts were not hard to restore. I would highly recommend the purchase of the new Eastwood HVLP spray gun. It is made to run off smaller compressors. All you need is 4.0 CFM @ 29psi. It is a decent quality gun for small projects. Best of luck to all people restoring their cars in the INSANE WORLD OF MOPAR!!!!

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: 70plymA34] #481255
10/14/09 01:40 PM
10/14/09 01:40 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
interesting very interesting......

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: QuickSilver] #481256
10/14/09 04:13 PM
10/14/09 04:13 PM
Roswell, GA - near Atlanta
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Well it is a good thing that you included "quality" of the job your paying these guys to do in there. This much I know, if I had turned over my really nice and solid cuda or whatever the car may be, and saw pictures of a guy standing there with an acetylene torch in one hand heating each and every dent until it was bright red and then quenching it with a wet rag in the other hand I would be horrified and the job would have stopped right then and there. That is not proper body work in my book. Oh yeah and then there's the filing every one of them hard spots down until my once beautiful deck lid is now paper thin. I wasn't very impressed with using the needle scaler for the undercoating removal either. Looks like it pretty much ruined the guys floor pan too. I wish the customer the best of luck since he definitely decided to get a lot of his own parts done right! My two

I suppose this guy prefers bondo to having dents shrunken back to the state they were in before the metal was stretched.

The file is used as a "slap hammer" the cross hatching in it helps the metal shrink back to the way it was. The metal never raises above the original height. There is no filing or fillers and the metal is no thinner than it was when it was new.

As for the needle scaler, it does nothing to the metal whatsoever, not even a scratch. It's not a jack hammer. When set on low, it removes only the film left behind from the previous undercoat and chemicals.

Yes Mike, this is a tough place to show off what we do. Sometimes I wonder why we try. As long as you are happy, so are we.

Martin, GA Quality Auto Restoration with Fair FIXED Pricing. Fast-N-Dangerous@comcast.net
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: migsBIG] #481257
10/14/09 04:22 PM
10/14/09 04:22 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Quote:

also, I highly recommend Jim Ridge over at Dixie Restorations for alternator restos. His communication and restoration work are second to none.

That's fine, but since this is cloneguy post and clone guy doing the work, well leave him to posting the outside sources.

I'm eagerly watching this post tim and look forward to seeing this car done and driving. How your pops is doing? better better I hope. Keep up the good work!

True. The recommendation was made by the owner of the car who is providing nearly all of the coatings we are using.

It's his car and we are using what he wants us to use. We are not tied to any certain brands or processes AND the coatings ARE the best we've ever used. In the future, whenever anyone want this type of restoration, we'll use the same sources.

Finally, thanks to all for the kind thoughts about my Dad. He is finally doing much better and nearly ready to go back home.

A word to the wise. If you are older and something bad happens to your health, don't be in GA. The medical people we worked with at "the best" places around here would have never gotten the job done. They seemed to be dragging everything out to be sure they used up all of his insurance benefits. He is in a good place in FL with my sister and his improvement is staggering.

Martin, GA Quality Auto Restoration with Fair FIXED Pricing. Fast-N-Dangerous@comcast.net
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: 70plymA34] #481258
10/14/09 04:38 PM
10/14/09 04:38 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

OK guys, we're back in the saddle now! Mike and Hubert have been working on the car and it is going in the booth for color!

I'll have all of the progress photos available soon, as the flooding rains we've been getting knocked out the internet in the shop area. (I'm not at the shop this week.)

The bottom is done in the correct factory primer color. The car has been hand blocked to as close to perfect as humans can do and then sealed with the correct red sealer before shooting.

Next week, we're moving on to all of the small parts and starting the reassembly. I'll post photos of everything as soon as I can.

We expect to have the whole job wrapped up in about another 5-6 weeks.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: anlauto] #481259
10/14/09 05:02 PM
10/14/09 05:02 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Tim has already stated that this particular car is going to come in under the $25K max and it seems the owner has done quite a bit of work himself getting the componets done elsewhere, so I can see how it would.

If I were a potential future customer, I would want more detailed info on 1)cost 2)time frame 3)quality/correctness

Are these three things being met?

So far, Yes, Yes and Yes.

1) When we give a quote, we stick to it unless the customer adds something unexpected to the job. We foresee no reason to go over budget on this job.

2) We are actually quite a bit ahead of the original schedule because one of our scheduled jobs was postponed until 11/15. (In my prior life, I ran projects with hundreds to thousands of steps, multiple contingencies and variable critcal paths. Scheduling and managing the two or three cars we typically work on at a time is child's play compared.)

3) The customer viewed the car, in person, prior to the final blocking and sealing stage and authorized us to proceed to paint. So far, so good.

I'll post pictures of all of the details of the work we do. The owner has done all of the coatings procurement but we are applying them to all but the dash and transmission. We are saving all of the original mechanical parts by rebuildng them where possible and the owner has bought correctly restored, dated parts wherever necessary, i.e. exhaust. He sent the gauges, alternator and wiper motor out himself and we'll install them when they come back in.

IMHO the owner is doing everything right by going OE where possible but having us do show quality 21st century slick paint.

This is going to be one sweet ride that any of us would be proud to own. We have documented and will certify that this car is 100% original metal.

When the car leaves us, it will be a tuned and running car capable of leaving under it's own power.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: cloneguy] #481260
10/14/09 05:30 PM
10/14/09 05:30 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
This sounds like a great deal and a great experience for the customer!! Glad to hear your father is on the road to recovery!! And lastly this is one tough crowd as always!!

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: migsBIG] #481261
10/14/09 06:02 PM
10/14/09 06:02 PM
SK,Canada
gregsrt Offline
top fuel
gregsrt  Offline
top fuel

SK,Canada
Quote:

Quote:

also, I highly recommend Jim Ridge over at Dixie Restorations for alternator restos. His communication and restoration work are second to none.

That's fine, but since this is cloneguy post and clone guy doing the work, well leave him to posting the outside sources.

It's posts like this that make people leave Moparts or post very little. I'm doing a backyard resto on a 69 Satellite and never post any progress pictures because of ignorant posts like this. It takes the fun out of posting. lighten up a bit, all he did was recommend some places he had good results from.

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. Thomas Jefferson
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: gregsrt] #481262
10/14/09 08:03 PM
10/14/09 08:03 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
I will continue to post more info and recommendations to help everyone out with their e-body resto. I feel that Tim and his team have done a great job so far on my CUDA. I cant wait until that B7 is shot this week. I also had good experience with Auto Restoration Parts Supply paints as well. This company is owned by noted MOPAR restoration guru Frank Badalson. His "Jack Gray" paint was the best match if you want to paint your jack hardware. ECSAUTOMOTIVE.com has a great selection of reproduction stickers to detail the jack stand.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: 70plymA34] #481263
10/17/09 06:37 PM
10/17/09 06:37 PM
Mattituck NY.
FJ6AAR Offline
pro stock
FJ6AAR  Offline
pro stock

Mattituck NY.
This has been a great post to follow. I am looking forward to seeing the final product as well. One question for you; My 6 barrel 'Cuda is an LA car as well and I just took the car off the rotisserie about a month ago after blasting it and priming the undercarriage in the original LA color, which was black/dark gray, not the more common light gray - what color was your car after you stripped of all the undercoating and what color did you go with on the final coating? Here is a photo of mine before blasting and right after cleaning the undercarriage with mineral spirits in order to take some documentation photos. Just curious if your LA car was the same color on the undercarriage? Thanks, Rob

5551345-e376.jpg (180 downloads)

1970 Hemi 'Cuda hard top clone

1971 Hemi 'Cuda Convertible clone

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: FJ6AAR] #481264
10/17/09 08:41 PM
10/17/09 08:41 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

This has been a great post to follow. I am looking forward to seeing the final product as well. One question for you; My 6 barrel 'Cuda is an LA car as well and I just took the car off the rotisserie about a month ago after blasting it and priming the undercarriage in the original LA color, which was black/dark gray, not the more common light gray - what color was your car after you stripped of all the undercoating and what color did you go with on the final coating? Here is a photo of mine before blasting and right after cleaning the undercarriage with mineral spirits in order to take some documentation photos. Just curious if your LA car was the same color on the undercarriage? Thanks, Rob

Rob,

Definitely Dark Gray, just like yours. I'll be posting pictures the first of the week.

This one is getting the OEM overspray treatment but with show quality paint on top so, stay tuned for correct primer/sealer and paint colors.

Hey, the owner of the car we are doing is from LI too. You guys will be the unbeatable duo at your local shows.

Tim

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: cloneguy] #481265
10/17/09 08:45 PM
10/17/09 08:45 PM
Mattituck NY.
FJ6AAR Offline
pro stock
FJ6AAR  Offline
pro stock

Mattituck NY.
Quote:

Quote:

Rob,

Definitely Dark Gray, just like yours. I'll be posting pictures the first of the week.

This one is getting the OEM overspray treatment but with show quality paint on top so, stay tuned for correct primer/sealer and paint colors.

Hey, the owner of the car we are doing is from LI too. You guys will be the unbeatable duo at your local shows.

Tim

I'm looking forward to following this thread to the end, especially since I might be able to see the finished product in person. I'll need to contact the owner one of these days. Rob

1970 Hemi 'Cuda hard top clone

1971 Hemi 'Cuda Convertible clone

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promise [Re: FJ6AAR] #481266
10/21/09 11:24 PM
10/21/09 11:24 PM
Alabama
Mopar-Al Offline
master
Mopar-Al  Offline
master

Alabama
Any updates yet? been enjoying the read

Finally more updates! [Re: cloneguy] #481267
10/23/09 01:03 PM
10/23/09 01:03 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

OK guys and gals, here's Hubert blocking the Cuda.

5562308-92.jpg (236 downloads)

Re: Finally more updates! [Re: cloneguy] #481268
10/23/09 01:06 PM
10/23/09 01:06 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Cutting through the guide-coat.

5562315-93.jpg (212 downloads)

Re: Finally more updates! [Re: cloneguy] #481269
10/23/09 01:07 PM
10/23/09 01:07 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

B7 inside the car.

5562319-98.jpg (234 downloads)

Re: Finally more updates! [Re: cloneguy] #481270
10/23/09 01:09 PM
10/23/09 01:09 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Correct LA built primer on the bottom, without flash.

5562322-107.jpg (236 downloads)

Re: Finally more updates! [Re: cloneguy] #481271
10/23/09 01:11 PM
10/23/09 01:11 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

LA built primer with flash. The color is actually somewhere in between in person. We never claimed to be good photographers.

5562330-108.jpg (207 downloads)

Re: Finally more updates! [Re: cloneguy] #481272
10/23/09 01:14 PM
10/23/09 01:14 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

How about some factory colored sealer?

5562335-121.jpg (230 downloads)

Re: Finally more updates! [Re: cloneguy] #481273
10/23/09 01:15 PM
10/23/09 01:15 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Sealer on the other side...

5562337-123.jpg (179 downloads)

Page 5 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24