NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
So now we know that if we want to have the best fitting set- Fine Lines over Inline Tube.

But, there is one observation that I did make that pours a little cold water on this discovery.

The Inline Tube cables seem to be manufactured of a better quality of materials.

The color of the metal on the sheathing is darker on the Inline tube cables and the cables seem much stiffer. When I unwound the intermediate cable from the Inline tube box, the cable just about straightened itself all out in a line. The Fine Lines intermediate cable tended to just "flop around". If you wanted to make it straight you had to hold it, whereas the Inline Tube cable was much more rigid and seemed to be of better quality.

Same deal with the sheathing. Much darker(looks more like an original part) and the way the sheathing is "rolled" looks more finished on the Inline Tube part.

Here are a few more pictures. The Fine Line cable is at the top and the Inline Tube is at the bottom. Click on the Attachment and blow up the picture and you will get an idea of what I am talking about.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475907
09/24/09 08:33 PM
09/24/09 08:33 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Here is another closeup of the intermediate cable. The darker one is from Inline Tube. Notice how straight the one from Inline lays. I didn't manipulate either cable- just laid them on the floor.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475908
09/24/09 08:42 PM
09/24/09 08:42 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
In summary, get the ones from Fine Lines at this point, but if the people over at Inline Tube get the issue of the short front cable right, then they may just have a superior product IMO.

And to confuse the matter even further, I have no idea who makes what and who sells to who, so if you buy from places like Year One or Jack's- who knows what you will get. I didn't ask, and don't know if either of these companies are actually manufacturing the part, but if I had to guess I will say no.

Hopefully I didn't bore everyone to death with this-but it might be useful information as just about every restoration is likely to get new park cables. It might just save someone some aggravation.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475909
09/24/09 08:47 PM
09/24/09 08:47 PM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline
master
LimeliteAero  Offline
master
L

SE Pa.
Great thread!

only wish we hashed this out sooner.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475910
09/24/09 09:11 PM
09/24/09 09:11 PM
New Jersey Bada Bing
bremotorsports Offline
master
bremotorsports  Offline
master

New Jersey Bada Bing
Quote:

OK, I think we have this issue resolved... BUt there are some things to note here- so follow this carefully...

Here is the deal. The Fine Lines front cable is the same length as the original, which is where everyone is having so much trouble. The Intermediate cable from Fine Lines is about 3/4" too long when compared with an original-no big deal here. Neither set provides the correct part that joins the front cable to the intermediate cable.

Here is a photo showing clearly the the shorter one from Inline Tube compared to the correct length one from Fine Lines.

The correct overall length of the inner cable for the front is 55-1/4", which is what the Fine Lines cable is. The Inline Tube cable only measures 52". here is a pic showing this problem.

For those that are not familiar with the correct front cable-to-intermediate cable connector, which is unique to 71 B,J,R,W, I started reproducing it 4 years ago. Photo below, or check out my website.

Bill Rolik

5503923-P3060016.JPG (273 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: bremotorsports] #475911
09/24/09 09:51 PM
09/24/09 09:51 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
The reason the Fine Lines intermediate cable seems "floppy" is that the cable diameter is smaller than the factory unit.(on the stainless cable) The cable has a clear rubber/plastic sheathing on it witch brings the diameter up to the factory size. THe factory cable didn't have any rubber on it at all.

The part that connects the front cable to the intermediate cable that came with the kit looks very close to my origonal. Again, mine is a 73. If I have to I can clean up my origonal one but I don't think that is going to be an issue.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: burdar] #475912
09/24/09 09:56 PM
09/24/09 09:56 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

The reason the Fine Lines intermediate cable seems "floppy" is that the cable diameter is smaller than the factory unit.(on the stainless cable) The cable has a clear rubber/plastic sheathing on it witch brings the diameter up to the factory size. THe factory cable didn't have any rubber on it at all.

The part that connects the front cable to the intermediate cable that came with the kit looks very close to my origonal. Again, mine is a 73. If I have to I can clean up my origonal one but I don't think that is going to be an issue.

Not sure what you are referring to.

Both sets of lines I have here are steel and the intermediate cables have no "plastic coating" as you say.

The cable union shown by Bill Rolik is the correct design for a 71 car. Can't comment on what the 73 should look like.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: burdar] #475913
09/24/09 10:40 PM
09/24/09 10:40 PM
New Jersey Bada Bing
bremotorsports Offline
master
bremotorsports  Offline
master

New Jersey Bada Bing
Quote:

This is the correct front connector for 72-74.

Bill Rolik

5504190-P2270007.JPG (265 downloads)
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475914
09/25/09 10:17 AM
09/25/09 10:17 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Quote:

I am needing the complete stainless setup for my 70 Challenger. I am told this is the setup without the intermediate cable. You guys have me paranoid about who to order from and will I get the correct cable set. Are you guys saying that all their E brake cables are wrong, or just the 71 models?

Does anyone even reproduce the 70 style cables? They weren't the last time I looked for them, but that has been several years back.

Tav

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475915
09/25/09 10:28 AM
09/25/09 10:28 AM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
I am needing the complete emergency brake kit for my 70 CHally. I am told this does NOT have the intermediate cable with it per this application.

I am concerned about ordering because I wont actually put it on until I am finished painting the car. What I dont want to do is order it, it sit on my shelf six months only to find out when I put it on, it DOES NOT FIT. Has anyone any direct experience in ordering the emergency brake kit for the 70 models. I certainly want my E brake stainless kit to be correct. I dont wanna have to listen to excuses 6 months from now.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475916
09/25/09 10:31 AM
09/25/09 10:31 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline OP
master
HPMike  Offline OP
master
H

NJ-USA
I haven't had any problems with the 70 model(no intermediate cable). I have used several of the repops in this application with no problems. The quality wasn't that of the originals, but that seems the norm with ALL repop parts.

MB

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475917
09/25/09 10:33 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Quote:

Not sure what you are referring to.

Both sets of lines I have here are steel and the intermediate cables have no "plastic coating" as you say.

My cable is stainless and has a clear rubber coating over it.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: gomangoRTSE] #475918
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Quote:

I haven't had any problems with the 70 model(no intermediate cable). I have used several of the repops in this application with no problems. The quality wasn't that of the originals, but that seems the norm with ALL repop parts.

MB

Who makes the 70 style cables? Are they available from both fine lines & inline tube? Last time I had to hunt down a used one in a junkyard.

Tav

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: cataclysm80] #475919
09/25/09 11:20 AM
09/25/09 11:20 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Tav, I installed 2 sets of my 70 cables on a couple of my Cudas, no problems.

Last edited by HEMICUDA; 09/25/09 12:08 PM.
Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HPMike] #475920
09/25/09 01:24 PM
09/25/09 01:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Here is the deal....

1971 Cuda.

The cables were purchased from Inline Tube. There is NO way these will work. The front cable is too short. I checked two known original cars and both measure around 16" from where the cable comes through the frame on the drivers side to where it meets the intermediate cable with the Ebrake pedal in the released position(at rest). The cable that was provided by Inline Tube only measures around 12.5" when measured as above.

I took the cable back out and called IT. I measured the cable on the bench and they say that the cable is right and I must be doing something wrong. They claim to sell tons of these and never had a complaint. I don't buy it. Two original cars cannot be wrong. The intermediate cable seems to be the exact length of the originals and the short ends coming through the brackets at the back appear to be the right length as well.

Have any of you guys experienced this??

Thanks

Hello, if you would be so kind as to supply me with you Invoice number for this order so that I may address this issue for you.

Thank you
Marc McGrew
Inline Tube
Sales Manager

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: joelson6] #475921
09/25/09 01:40 PM
09/25/09 01:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

i thought i was the only one that was having issues with my e-brake stuff. not only is the lengths different, did anyone find the ball on the ends of the intermediate cable to be larger than original? i brought one to Ohio 2 years ago and showed someone from inline tube the difference with my cable and a repo. i got the "DUH, are you sure it's original, DUH. um, oh, um uuhhh". then i asked why they don't make them like the originals, i got "uh, oh, uumm, i don't know, duh".

Inline Tube is aware that the ball ends on our parking brake cables are larger than the factory ball. This was done for saftey reasons after having several small ball failures on original cables because of the small surface area. Also all of Inline Tube's hardware is designed to work with the larger ball which is only 1/16 larger in diameter then the original. This small ball end is only on 1 of the 3 to 4 cables and does not affect any function and is not even visable because once it is installed in the hardware you can not see the end of the cable.

Marc McGew
Inline Tube
Sales Manager

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475922
09/25/09 01:45 PM
09/25/09 01:45 PM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline
master
LimeliteAero  Offline
master
L

SE Pa.
Marc,

Thanks for registering and showing interest in our concerns with your product.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... #475923
09/25/09 01:55 PM
09/25/09 01:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

After looking into the post I have heard all the things that have been talked about above but with no hard proof.

Some say that 70 does not have the intermediate cable, others say it does and looking at orders from the past we have sold 80% of the 1970 cables without intermediate and 20 with - we do not know how to explain this.

There is also a difference between the cuda and challenger on the front and center cables - some say there is a difference and others say there is none.

We know that 71 have a different front hook but it is only 1/2" different from the other hook of 72-74 and there is that much adjustment in the cables.

We also know of the 71 Front to center connector and the 2 versions there is an early and a late and we include the late in our sets.

We have been making the cables for over 15 years and sold them to all the other line companies for the last few years and there listings match ours for the most part. In the last couple of our cables have been copied from one of the line companies with a cheaper version that is NOT quality so all line companies have been cut off from buying our product because we do not want it confused with the junk on the market.

If there is a problem with any cable - we want to know about it - If there is a cable that does not match the original we want to see the old with the new so it can be corrected. And if you know the answers to any of the above mysteries please answer and provide so proof - since we cannot change product on 3rd party info only.

We are the manufacture USA Made- NOT a China Carrier like all the others. We can make a cable in any length with any end fitting - Just let us know how to help and we would be happy to help.

Marc McGrew
Inline Tube
Sales Manager

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: HEMICUDA] #475924
09/25/09 02:02 PM
09/25/09 02:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

On a side note, we are making the correct firewall grommet for Finelines right now. Currently, no suppliers of cables include the grommet and the one available in the market is no where near correct.

All Inline Tube cables come with the grommet installed on the front cables. If you purchased someone else cable set that did not have the grommet, it can be purchased from Inline Tube for $9.00. This can be installed on an assembled cable by using WD40.

Re: Issues with repop E body brake cables..... [Re: bremotorsports] #475925
09/25/09 02:15 PM
09/25/09 02:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

OK, I think we have this issue resolved... BUt there are some things to note here- so follow this carefully...

Here is the deal. The Fine Lines front cable is the same length as the original, which is where everyone is having so much trouble. The Intermediate cable from Fine Lines is about 3/4" too long when compared with an original-no big deal here. Neither set provides the correct part that joins the front cable to the intermediate cable.

Here is a photo showing clearly the the shorter one from Inline Tube compared to the correct length one from Fine Lines.

The correct overall length of the inner cable for the front is 55-1/4", which is what the Fine Lines cable is. The Inline Tube cable only measures 52". here is a pic showing this problem.

For those that are not familiar with the correct front cable-to-intermediate cable connector, which is unique to 71 B,J,R,W, I started reproducing it 4 years ago. Photo below, or check out my website.

Bill Rolik

Hi bill we are well aware of you hardware that you sell on ebay at over 3 times the cost of the inline tube hardware.

Inline tubwe hardware set - factory correct $49
all plated the correct colors and 100% correct.

Bills hardware 3 times the cost - Same qualty 3 time the cost - and he only make the hardware no cables -

Inline tube - makes the cables and the hardware for all A /B / E & even C Body.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7