09/27/09 05:36 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

So, lets say you're judging a hemicuda. Start off by looking at all the standard equipment stuff from sections 2-16. Then move on to the options as listed on the broadcast sheet/fender tag of the car. Broadcast shows E74, flip to E74 in the book. Right there at your fingertips is all the info on what came with the E74 Hemi Engine. How to identify a Hemi engine, correct carbs, any inspection markings, Hemi K frame, says here that Hemi cars came with a pinion snubber reinforcement plate welded to the body above the axle, A note that says "'Cuda models equipped with E74 came standard with an N96 Shaker hood. Check that the car is coded for it and refer to the N96 section for more info." Etc. When you get to the end of the Broadcast sheet/fender tag, your done judging the car.

No more wading through 19 different intake manifolds that were never used on what your looking for in the section 10 Engine chapter.

I think that a new format as described above would save a LOT of time for the judges, and make the book infinitely more usable as a reference manual. Imagine being able to easily flip to anything you're looking for. I think the main reason people use the restoration/judging manual LESS than the fastener manual is that it can be difficult to find the specific information you're looking for because it's mixed in with a lot of other information under an umbrella heading. Reformatting the book as described above would Transform it into an indispensable restoration tool, even for the average restorer who doesn't care about having correct fasteners, and would make the book easily worth the $80 asking price, if not a $99 price.

Tav

Judging in the order of the buildsheet is not the most efficient way to judge. You'd be bouncing all over the physical areas of the car. If I'm under the car, I want to do the underside all at once or split the front a rear.

The detail of the OE Nats type judging is only capable of handling a handful or so of cars over a 2-3 day period with a team of judges dedicated just for that.

Re: ICCA B and E body "Reference" manuals [Re: autoxcuda] #473681
09/28/09 09:24 AM
09/28/09 09:24 AM
70RT Offline
mopar
70RT  Offline
mopar

In all my dealings with Dave and the ICCA manual, he professes it to be nothing more than the best research he, and the other contributors, have seen to date. He also repeatedly states that it is a work in progress. As new material, documentation, and sound factual information, comes to light, the manual will be updated/corrected. I am most impressed by his willingness to listen to contrasting opinions where there are differences from what has been previously published.

Re: ICCA B and E body "Reference" manuals [Re: 70RT] #473682
10/02/09 01:22 PM
10/02/09 01:22 PM
Cincinnati area
S
sch1966 Offline OP
sch1966  Offline OP
S

Cincinnati area
I got my manuals yesterday! They are incredible! I am not a hardcore guy wanting the absolute definitve word in building an OE cert car. I am just a hobbiest wanting good reference material to aid me when it comes time to work on my car. Not from a FSM standpoint but trying to use the right stuff whenever I can. Dave was wonderful to work with and everyone should appreciate the work him and his team put into this whether they agree with the info or not.
Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 1 2