aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Wonder if Tony P is burning the midnight oil getting those JFR Diver Down flag shirts printed up? That should be good for a few $$$.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Hemiroid] #462123
09/08/09 10:19 AM
09/08/09 10:19 AM
Wheels up, MO
N
nhramark Offline
master
nhramark  Offline
master
N

Wheels up, MO
Quote:

They shouldn't be teams of "teams" in professional drag racing period. One car and it's crew is a team! It would be like Rupert Murdock buying and owning 4 baseball teams and manipulating the system by having one team taking a dive vs. another to advance it into the playoffs.

But NHRA WANTS multi car teams. If it weren't for Force, Schumacher, and Kalitta there would not be a show to watch. Even with these guys there were races this year that did not have a full field. It may be worse next year.

[image]http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/nhramark1/library/Racing[/image] 9.100 @ 150 mph 5.780 @ 120 mph
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: nhramark] #462124
09/08/09 10:38 AM
09/08/09 10:38 AM
Riverside, California
L
Lil Demon Offline
master
Lil Demon  Offline
master
L

Riverside, California
It happens all the time, in every sport, at every level. No big deal.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Lil Demon] #462125
09/08/09 10:55 AM
09/08/09 10:55 AM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
so you guys are saying a sponsor wants to be associated with a guy throwing races

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: sixpackgut] #462126
09/08/09 10:58 AM
09/08/09 10:58 AM
Riverside, California
L
Lil Demon Offline
master
Lil Demon  Offline
master
L

Riverside, California
Quote:

so you guys are saying a sponsor wants to be associated with a guy throwing races

Sponsors will want to be mostly associated with the guy who wins CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: sixpackgut] #462127
09/08/09 11:43 AM
09/08/09 11:43 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Answer your own question....If you were AAA of SoCal, would you rather see John knock your car out of the chase, for really, no good reason, or do what he did and give your driver a shot at the title. Easy answer. Big time racing is a business, it ceased being a hobby a long time ago.

And let me ask some of the complainers here a question. If you were in a final round, with a son, daughter, good friend, team mate, whatever and the final meant nothing to you, points wise, but could give the other a shot at the title, what would you do.

Monte

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Monte_Smith] #462128
09/08/09 12:25 PM
09/08/09 12:25 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas

Business is business.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Monte_Smith] #462129
09/08/09 12:26 PM
09/08/09 12:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Still cheating no matter how you look at it,thats one of the biggest problems with this country cheating is accepted, win at any cost no matter what,really sad thing to be teaching our kids that follow racing.. I hope Tony wins the championship and sticks the "wally" right up Forces behind...

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: HemiDart68] #462130
09/08/09 12:33 PM
09/08/09 12:33 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Its just the nature of things when one guy owns 25% of the field. Maybe force should try and put 16 funny cars together next year and they can all be winners.

If NHRA didn't have their heads up their arsses, that wouldn't happen.

Fastest 300
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: DCI] #462131
09/08/09 12:50 PM
09/08/09 12:50 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
I didnt hera many people complaning when Kalittas were tossing races so they could get Doug the championship a few years ago.They still lost it. You didnt hear Shoe crying about it on TV.He beat them running the record.There was more than one race that Doug got handed to him by his team mate.Tony Pedregon was one of my favorte drivers but Cruz never was.He is kind of like Whit cry about everything.They arent in the poor house.Cruz has been crying for years.Like was said if he was better he would not have had to worry about a spot.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... #462132
09/08/09 01:15 PM
09/08/09 01:15 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Still cheating no matter how you look at it,thats one of the biggest problems with this country cheating is accepted, win at any cost no matter what,really sad thing to be teaching our kids that follow racing.. I hope Tony wins the championship and sticks the "wally" right up Forces behind...

Trying to win using illegal parts, fuels or tuneups is cheating. There is nothing in the rule book, that I'm aware of, that says you can't leave the starting line late or drive out of the groove. You criers are nothing but thinly disguised Force bashers.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... #462133
09/08/09 01:31 PM
09/08/09 01:31 PM
Wisconsin
wkroncke17 Offline
master
wkroncke17  Offline
master

Wisconsin
Quote:

Please explain how you determine this is "Cheating"?

The word "Cheating" is implied only when someone breaks the rules and gets caught.

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: BobR] #462134
09/08/09 01:35 PM
09/08/09 01:35 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

Trying to win using illegal parts, fuels or tuneups is cheating. There is nothing in the rule book, that I'm aware of, that says you can't leave the starting line late or drive out of the groove. You criers are nothing but thinly disguised Force bashers.

Regardless of whether Force threw the race or not, people still want to feel that someone actually earns their championship by actually winning the race fair and square, not have it handed to them by a team mate for the sake of continued sponsorship money. To the racer the sponsors are their life blood, but to the fans they are just an annoying advert cluttering up the side of the car.

Sponsors may pay the bills but only because there's butts on seats to watch those flying billboards, and when those seats are empty, goodbye $$$$. Tick off enough fans by even implying that there's cheating going on and watch the TV ratings drop and the stands empty.

Yea, Tony might have benefited from John throwing a race when he was on John's team, and now it's coming back to bite him. Cause if Tony has benefited in the past, and I suspect so, he has no room to talk - he knows the inside games as well as anyone. Don't play that game in the first place, and then maybe you can say something...but glass houses and stone throwers....

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: wkroncke17] #462135
09/08/09 01:38 PM
09/08/09 01:38 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Please explain how you determine this is "Cheating"?

The word "Cheating" is implied only when someone breaks the rules and gets caught.

Oh please like Cruz said everyone knew Force was going to give that run away and he did,even a blind man could have saw that..so it's only cheating if you get caught

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... #462136
09/08/09 01:59 PM
09/08/09 01:59 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
Quote:

Good luck with all that

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Monte_Smith] #462137
09/08/09 02:02 PM
09/08/09 02:02 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
Quote:

Quote:

Answer your own question....If you were AAA of SoCal, would you rather see John knock your car out of the chase, for really, no good reason, or do what he did and give your driver a shot at the title. Easy answer. Big time racing is a business, it ceased being a hobby a long time ago.

And let me ask some of the complainers here a question. If you were in a final round, with a son, daughter, good friend, team mate, whatever and the final meant nothing to you, points wise, but could give the other a shot at the title, what would you do.

Monte

i would do everything i could to beat him. if he hands me something, i didn't win it. it's that simple. and if i were a sponsor, i would want to be associated with a racer who races as hard as they can every run, and win or lose, they shake hands and act in a civilized and sportsman-like manor. the nhra and the sponsors have allowed good sportmanship and magnanimity to take a back seat to sensation and profit.

Last edited by maximum entropy; 09/08/09 02:09 PM.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: maximum entropy] #462138
09/08/09 02:25 PM
09/08/09 02:25 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
"i would do everything i could to beat him. if he hands me something, i didn't win it. it's that simple. and if i were a sponsor, i would want to be associated with a racer who races as hard as they can every run, and win or lose, they shake hands and act in a civilized and sportsman-like manor. the nhra and the sponsors have allowed good sportmanship and magnanimity to take a back seat to sensation and profit."

There is a much bigger life issue at stake here than who wins or loses a race...or a championship, for that matter. I've been wealthy, bankrupt, in great health and on my death bed....and always drummed home this fact to my kids.....it means nothing if you didn't earn it. You gain nothing by having something handed to you. I am not sure that I would want to be associated with a company that would expect me to do that. To be frank, my unwillingness to compromise these ideas has probably cost me a lot of money over the years. But, I don't regret it.

I have been told I am a dinosaur....maybe that's true. Maybe my ideas of integrity are passe', but, I think that it is the most important thing one can learn. When everything else is all gone, your integrity is all that you have.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... #462139
09/08/09 02:46 PM
09/08/09 02:46 PM
Charlotte NC
D
DCI Offline
super stock
DCI  Offline
super stock
D

Charlotte NC
Quote:

Yes but Tony won enough rounds early on to not be in either Cruz or Roberts situation. Short of Force being 00 and setting low ET of the round he would have been accused of throwing it. I would just tell my kid it is a business nothing more and nothing less. Think Trump got to where he is doing everything fair to the other guy? What about Microsoft, the big O or even you in your life! Did you give up that promotion so the guy behind you could get ahead or be equal to you????

How many people here think that every sponsor deal out there now has an extra $$$ bonus for making the chase???? All of them??? So why in the world would you throw that money away??? You know you would have done the same thing if you owned the team and were sitting behind the wheel...and until you foot the bill you have no right to judge his(or any other owner/drivers)situation.

Last edited by DCI; 09/08/09 02:47 PM.

"Turbo will be easiest, and at the HP level will also be easiest on parts. Spend the money to do it right, and you can build a 500 HP street motor that will live a long and happy life, and probably with a very basic short block." Those words must have left a bad taste in his mouth!
Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... [Re: Steve1118] #462140
09/08/09 03:18 PM
09/08/09 03:18 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

"i would do everything i could to beat him. if he hands me something, i didn't win it. it's that simple. and if i were a sponsor, i would want to be associated with a racer who races as hard as they can every run, and win or lose, they shake hands and act in a civilized and sportsman-like manor. the nhra and the sponsors have allowed good sportmanship and magnanimity to take a back seat to sensation and profit."

There is a much bigger life issue at stake here than who wins or loses a race...or a championship, for that matter. I've been wealthy, bankrupt, in great health and on my death bed....and always drummed home this fact to my kids.....it means nothing if you didn't earn it. You gain nothing by having something handed to you. I am not sure that I would want to be associated with a company that would expect me to do that. To be frank, my unwillingness to compromise these ideas has probably cost me a lot of money over the years. But, I don't regret it.

I have been told I am a dinosaur....maybe that's true. Maybe my ideas of integrity are passe', but, I think that it is the most important thing one can learn. When everything else is all gone, your integrity is all that you have.

Very well put gentlemen..

Re: Tony Pedregon says it like it is........... #462141
09/08/09 03:59 PM
09/08/09 03:59 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Quote:

Man,he was dead on with his comments on Force..nhra is getting worse by the week,they really need to step in and do something about it,but as we all know Force is their poster boy and won't do a thing about it..

Pinks is more interesting to watch than NHRA events.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11