Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you have MP spring perches welded to the rear they have three holes in them. The front hole will move the rear back about 1.5". You just have to redrill the shock mount (bottom plate) to match. Did this on our 64 Plymouth and it worked great.

Doesn't bend the perches or anything? you weld a strap around the rear to the perches? that is a great idea.

The car only ran high 11's and bending the perches was not a problem. The MP perches are pretty stout; you could box them in after setting pinion angle. I questioned the practice at first, but according to 383Man, this was common practice in the 60's/70's.

The leafs being sandwiched in between the perch and shock mount helps protect the springs from breaking at the bolt hole (the small bolt that holds the leafs together before assembly). Whenever you offset the perchs you lose some of that support and increase the possibility of breaking leafs. The more leafs that the spring has makes it less likely to break the leafs, but I have seen cars (usually stick shift) that would break the leafs after offsetting the perchs.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: A body, move rear back for tall tire [Re: Evil Spirit] #438021
08/15/09 09:02 PM
08/15/09 09:02 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Don't forget to check your driveshaft length; make sure you have a lot of spline engagement at the front. I generally never run more than 1" freeplay.
Personally I'd prefer to trim the front of the wheel opening if the paint is not an issue.

Page 2 of 2 1 2