I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline OP
I Live Here

Canada
Originally Posted by autoxcuda
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by autoxcuda
Originally Posted by jcc
I have nothing to add here except my amazement a C body ever had manual steering.

All of the famous 69 California Highway Patrol spec 440 HP Polara's were manual steering.

Also note that parts list I posted shows that 71-93 B-series van's can have manual steering. And it's the same as the C-body box.

[Linked Image]

Still amazed, but thanks.
What ratio were those C Body's

24 to 1

That’s why the original poster is trying to use that 20:1 box. And since all A/B/E-body manual boxes are small spline, he had to use the long repro T/A pitman. I think that was some smart thinking on that work around. up But seems C-bodies had more sweep.

But what I don’t get is if the C-body manuals need more sweep, shouldn’t the power steering boxes also need more sweep? confused Those P/S boxes interchange with A/B/E boxes I thought.

Yeah you seem to get it! C body manual box was 24:1, I think ALL faster ratio guts were the smaller sector shaft.
Replacing the box with a C body manual box will get me nowhere, I will try to rectify or see if I can fit a smaller power steering box like a Borgeson sized box and see if I can make it work.....
Going with a factory C body box isn't an option, it sounds easy but with a set back Gen2 Hemi with headers etc isn't going to allow simple solutions, oh how I know.

I need replies that think outside the box, or I'll be figuring it out myself! lol wink
Thanks guys!

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: MoPar Performance 20:1 box lock to lock [Re: Sniper] #3265352
10/20/24 04:10 PM
10/20/24 04:10 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline OP
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline OP
I Live Here

Canada
Originally Posted by Sniper
This thread reminds me of a customer I had back when I worked at a parts store.

Came in wanting plugs for his 76 Camaro with a 350. No problem, look them up, tell him his choices, he picks the brand he likes I get them,

We get to BS'ing about cars and he's telling me about the Camaro. Mentions it has "Corvette double hump" heads. Yeah, everybody back then had double hump heads, lol. Heck, I had a set on my 383 Hemi, lol.

Anyway, a dim light goes off in my head. Now I am not a Gm guy but I was pretty sure Chevy changed the plug style between the two so I tell him "Wait a minute" and look up the plugs by the application the heads came from. Sure enough, one was gasket type the other taper, so I get him the plugs he could actually use and not blame me for giving him the wrong ones.

Anyway, the reason this thread reminds of that is when you are playing mix and match with parts it is important you tell us that, not a generic "C body front end". Because, obviously it's not all C body steering and the issue is that you are using the wrong box. How to fix it? Use the C body box. Will your MP parts fit that box? I do not know.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but those plugs are 13/16" (gasket) or 5/8" (tapered). Easy to tell the plugs apart!?!

"Corvette double hump" heads are camel hump heads, pretty danged common. 462/461 were everywhere.

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: MoPar Performance 20:1 box lock to lock [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #3265714
10/21/24 09:51 PM
10/21/24 09:51 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Originally Posted by Sniper
This thread reminds me of a customer I had back when I worked at a parts store.

Came in wanting plugs for his 76 Camaro with a 350. No problem, look them up, tell him his choices, he picks the brand he likes I get them,

We get to BS'ing about cars and he's telling me about the Camaro. Mentions it has "Corvette double hump" heads. Yeah, everybody back then had double hump heads, lol. Heck, I had a set on my 383 Hemi, lol.

Anyway, a dim light goes off in my head. Now I am not a Gm guy but I was pretty sure Chevy changed the plug style between the two so I tell him "Wait a minute" and look up the plugs by the application the heads came from. Sure enough, one was gasket type the other taper, so I get him the plugs he could actually use and not blame me for giving him the wrong ones.

Anyway, the reason this thread reminds of that is when you are playing mix and match with parts it is important you tell us that, not a generic "C body front end". Because, obviously it's not all C body steering and the issue is that you are using the wrong box. How to fix it? Use the C body box. Will your MP parts fit that box? I do not know.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but those plugs are 13/16" (gasket) or 5/8" (tapered). Easy to tell the plugs apart!?!

"Corvette double hump" heads are camel hump heads, pretty danged common. 462/461 were everywhere.

Well the customer didn't bring in an old plug to compare, so i dunno. Like I said I am not a GM guys, I just know enough to be dangerous, lol.

Page 2 of 2 1 2