Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Recommedations on upgrading home electrical service panel [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3257305
09/11/24 11:40 PM
09/11/24 11:40 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
It’s been a few years back, but I recall one house I got a quote on for insurance had a 100 amp panel and I believe I was told it needed to be a 125 or 150 or higher or the carrier wouldn’t touch it. I skipped that one so the details are fuzzy, but I’m pretty certain those were the numbers involved.

I want my fair share
Re: Recommedations on upgrading home electrical service panel [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3257311
09/12/24 12:02 AM
09/12/24 12:02 AM
Here
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Here
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy

What many do not know is that the power coming to you house can vary quite a bit throughout the day. I have a monitor right now on my system and the weekly report I get shows some wild swings take place. If you have marginal stuff and hit one of the big sags, you’ll know it.

I have all my stuff on a UPS, and power my computer/monitor on another UPS that is fed by the first UPS. realcrazy

We get a look of afternoon thunderstorms, lighting hits, fallen tree branch glitches, etc, and not even a flicker.

" All sorts of things can happen when you are open to new Ideas" Inventor of Kevlar
Re: Recommedations on upgrading home electrical service panel [Re: jcc] #3257364
09/12/24 11:43 AM
09/12/24 11:43 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
JCC,

You have an whole house UPS? If you do I am envious.

I guess what you have is working for you but in my I.T. and Data Center Management days running a UPS behind another UPS was a no no. I have no idea why, probably something to do with harmonics, floating neutrals or other electrical anomalies I never had the education to understand.

Bill

Re: Recommedations on upgrading home electrical service panel [Re: jcc] #3257633
09/13/24 04:51 PM
09/13/24 04:51 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Online content
master
hooziewhatsit  Online Content
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by cudaboy
Since an electrician will be there already, I’d have an automatic transfer switch installed.

Dennis

A manual transfer is way cheaper, far more reliable, and can't help to burn the house down when its unoccupied and it supplies power to a damaged house (like maybe a fallen tree?) an automatic transfer switch is ignorant of.

Also need to consider how often it will be used. If you lose power every other week, an automatic one might be worth it.

I have a manual interlock between the main and generator breaker, and so far have only used it to test the generator laugh2 Completely not worth the expense of an automatic transfer switch.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: Recommedations on upgrading home electrical service panel [Re: 340Cuda] #3257655
09/13/24 09:54 PM
09/13/24 09:54 PM
Here
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Here
Originally Posted by 340Cuda
JCC,

I guess what you have is working for you but in my I.T. and Data Center Management days running a UPS behind another UPS was a no no. I have no idea why, probably something to do with harmonics, floating neutrals or other electrical anomalies I never had the education to understand.

Bill

Just My computer stuff. understand my UPS's are only in circuit upon power interruption.
I could understand maybe an issue with full time UPS. or basically running off a battery full time that is being continuously charged until your main grid power drops out.
For my application, that is not for me efficient bang for buck but it is a superior system and costly.

" All sorts of things can happen when you are open to new Ideas" Inventor of Kevlar
Re: Recommedations on upgrading home electrical service panel [Re: vinnyd76] #3257675
09/13/24 11:39 PM
09/13/24 11:39 PM
Florida
G
GMP440 Offline
top fuel
GMP440  Offline
top fuel
G

Florida

Most insurance companies won't write you policy if you have a Challenger panel. Alot of homeowners are finding they need to change out their Challenger panels for the approved one. FPV is another that is being phased out. Siemens are still approved. This is in Florida. Before you have any installations done get with a home inspector to see what brands are approved in your area.

Re: Recommedations on upgrading home electrical service panel [Re: jcc] #3257715
09/14/24 10:22 AM
09/14/24 10:22 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by 340Cuda
JCC,

Bill

Just My computer stuff. understand my UPS's are only in circuit upon power interruption.
I could understand maybe an issue with full time UPS. or basically running off a battery full time that is being continuously charged until your main grid power drops out.
For my application, that is not for me efficient bang for buck but it is a superior system and costly.

That is probably the cheapest "UPS" you can get.

Double conversion UPS' protect from a lot more than outages. They protect you from surges, sags, frequency issues, noise on the line and harmonic distortion. Your UPS covers outage only. Is it adequate? Maybe, depends on how crappy your utility is and what your load is.

I work on commercial and industrial UPS for a living. Do I have one? Nope. My laptop has one built in, it's called a battery. It is sufficient for me to save whatever I am doing in the advent of a power loss. The other issues would primmarily affect the power supply, which is separate from the laptop and a spare power supply is way cheaper than a UPS disregarding the battery replacement requirements of one. The rest of the house? It's fine, I have a whole house surge suppressor. The rest is irrelevant for me.

Re: Recommedations on upgrading home electrical service panel [Re: vinnyd76] #3257772
09/14/24 03:31 PM
09/14/24 03:31 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
What amp feed is your electric company serving your home with now? scope
You may need them to upgrade your power service to get 200 amps fed to your panel scope luck

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 09/14/24 03:32 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Recommedations on upgrading home electrical service panel [Re: vinnyd76] #3257789
09/14/24 05:09 PM
09/14/24 05:09 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Originally Posted by vinnyd76
Looking to expand/upgrade the service panel in my home. Currently installed is a 150-amp panel by Challenger. I'm told that Challenger components are prone to problems.

Looking for input on things to consider when upgrading and purchasing a new panel. I will definitely hire a licensed electrical contractor to complete installation. The current panel is pretty much maxed out.

I would like to have a minimum 20 amp circuit dedicated to the garage. I'm also considering running 220 out to the garage.

Anyone have any experience/feedback with Leviton panels? I believe the brand is fairly new within the industry.

For Macomb MI looks like DTE is you electrical utility.

This would be your starting point for a panel change:

https://www.dteenergy.com/us/en/quicklinks/builders/builders-electric/electric-service.html

This is a handy form for your project. It doesn't look like you will need a site map, Load Sheet, Riser Diagram, Proof of Ownership if you are just 200A or below.

https://www.dteenergy.com/content/d...hecklist-guides/PowerConnectionsForm.pdf

Page 2 of 2 1 2