R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Originally Posted by MI_Custumz
I am trying to understand it better, but think I'm starting to get it. 936mV is .936V and that's the voltage drop or loss?

____ correct. Ideally the drop should be zero but in the real world there's flexibility. For a circuit like this on a newer vehicle, 100mv would be acceptable. Considering how much wire run, connectors, switches and age your car has, I'd be ok at 250mv. You're well over that.

If the battery drops to 10.2V while starting, and from my understanding is normal (10.2V is per the battery tester I had hooked up), then it's only barely getting enough at times to activate the solenoid.

____ correct again

Any more drop and it won't activate the solenoid basically. As simple as driving it and underhood heat could cause just enough resistance to make it not have enough to fire it up if it's a wire losing voltage under the hood.

____ bingo! GM starters are known for this. 2 problems, on cold start the engine makes a higher draw on the battery so your available voltage is sketchy. The starter is also very close to the exhaust and gets hot increasing resistance and drop.

The positive battery to the suspect (NSS, positive battery cable on starter, etc) point is the voltage drop test and results?

____ exactly. The same method can be used to test ground side. Just use the ground terminal of the battery. If you want to play with this, then meter between starter housing and battery negative. Either way, start at the load (motor, light whatever it is) and the battery. This tells you which side is the failure.

I can drop the steering column to check the ignition switch. Would I just put the probe in the back of the connector? I am assuming so that way it tries to start and puts a load on the starting circuit.

____ yes. This procedure is called "back probing " You come into the connector from the wire side, keeping the connector connected. Just make sure you get to the actual metal terminal. A paperclip or straight pin can be used in tight spaces. NOTE generally it's frowned on to pierce the insulation on a wire for testing BUT personally I'm ok with it inside a vehicle.

I can test the ammeter next time I tinker with it as well.

____ PO disease might have struck here. I'm assuming the gauge is under the dash so access should be easy.

I believe the wiring goes like this for the car: Battery (main cable) to starter. Battery (smaller wire) to ammeter, ammeter to junction block,

___ oh my, that's alot of extra wire run added in. Remember, all wire has resistance. Longer runs add more resistance . Longer runs should be larger gauge wire to help offset the extra resistance. What gauge wire does this have?

junction block to horn relay, horn relay to bulkhead (have to see which wire that is and verify it by cleaning them to see the colors as the bulkhead is hard to see the wire colors and it is a PITA to get to), bulkhead to fuse box, not sure how wires to the ignition switch run, ignition switch to where the NSS would be for a column shift, harness extension to the console NSS, back through the harness to bulkhead somehow, and to starter solenoid. Obviously the main issue is before the NSS and I'll work my way back to the fuse box as far as I can. Then possibly from junction block to bulkhead. Bulkhead is going to be the hard part for me I think. Sorry for the long part here, but I want to make sure I'm not missing a spot to test and have that route written down in my notes.

____ working backwards from the solenoid is preferred but access to connections is a problem to deal with. Remember, we're still lobbing shells, so it's OK to check points out of order. For example, the junction block and alternator stud should both be easy to reach. Check them for drop from the battery. Consider the wiring diagram like a road map and you're trying to get around a road closed for construction. You get off the road and back on somewhere else.

Other points I was thinking of doing a voltage drop test would be ignition switch, junction block, horn relay, and bulkhead if I can figure that out as to which wire it is. The ones under the hood I'll have to get a helper or try to clip it with test leads and use a camera to monitor the reading upon cranking.

____ you can make or buy extensions for the test leads on your meter. You basically already did with the wire you ran into the car from the solenoid. They don't need to be fancy.

Am I tracking so far? I also now see how voltage (hot and ground set up) can be misleading. Learning something new.

____ I understand that it can be confusing checking voltage when you don't have a positive and a negative. But we're not looking for voltage from positive to negative, we're looking for missing voltage between point A and point B. In this case, we're looking for a missing 936mv.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3257925
09/15/24 01:07 PM
09/15/24 01:07 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
MI, you mentioned having different diagrams. Can you post them?

I'm thinking the ones you provided so far don't match. I can't follow battery power into the car, the underhood wires go to blank locations in the underdash diagram

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3258088
09/16/24 06:46 AM
09/16/24 06:46 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
The wires running to the ammeter appear to be 10ga with a 14ga section of fusible link in each one. The ammeter is on a pod under the dash, so not bad to get to at all. I did trace the wires years ago to see what one was from the battery and what one was to the junction block. They were both red, so I labeled them with a piece of painters tape and marker as in/out. I have some stuff to do almost each day after work this week, so may not be able to test the ammeter wires or under hood ones. Just thinking ahead on this one because my mind wonders. I could cut out the wiring to the ammeter and just run that to the junction block with a fusible link section in it. The ammeter would stay in place, but not work. I have a plug in cigarette lighter voltmeter/phone charger to monitor voltage. Would that be the way to go if I get voltage drop isolated to the wiring for the ammeter?

I have 8 photos of the wiring diagram I will upload. Not sure of what ones are the ones you're looking for.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3258089
09/16/24 06:47 AM
09/16/24 06:47 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Second batch of 4.

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3258257
09/16/24 08:09 PM
09/16/24 08:09 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
The wires running to the ammeter appear to be 10ga with a 14ga section of fusible link in each one. The ammeter is on a pod under the dash, so not bad to get to at all. I did trace the wires years ago to see what one was from the battery and what one was to the junction block. They were both red, so I labeled them with a piece of painters tape and marker as in/out. I have some stuff to do almost each day after work this week, so may not be able to test the ammeter wires or under hood ones.

Just thinking ahead on this one because my mind wonders. I could cut out the wiring to the ammeter and just run that to the junction block with a fusible link section in it.

____ this would be the original design. Still wouldn't hurt to test the ammeter wiring. In fact, if they test good (minimal voltage drop, say 100mv or less) then you can use them as a substitute for battery terminal. Might make checking voltage under the dash easier. Basically an extension for your meter leads.

The ammeter would stay in place, but not work. I have a plug in cigarette lighter voltmeter/phone charger to monitor voltage. Would that be the way to go if I get voltage drop isolated to the wiring for the ammeter?

____ many vehicles have neither a voltage gage or ammeter and they work fine. You lighter one should be ok. The gauges have their uses, most folks don't really need them though.

I have 8 photos of the wiring diagram I will upload. Not sure of what ones are the ones you're looking for.

_____ thanks, downloaded and I'll print them later. Just the last set showed underhood wires going to certain locations in the bulkhead connector that don't have corresponding wires in the under dash connector. Like they may be from different cars or years.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3258280
09/16/24 10:51 PM
09/16/24 10:51 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by ruderunner

I'm thinking the ones you provided so far don't match. I can't follow battery power into the car, the underhood wires go to blank locations in the underdash diagram

RR up up to you for staying with this, I stepped out as one does not need OPINIONS when trying to resolve a problem. You have good a handle on it so that is all that is needed to help him.
I have seen too many conflicting EXPERT opinions on forums and at car shows that do nothing but have the guy chasing his tail. KUDOS to you sir beer

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3258307
09/17/24 06:12 AM
09/17/24 06:12 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
One set of diagrams is from a chassis service manual and one is an assembly manual. I will try to see if I missed a page. I did find a picture someone posted online of the red wire that supposedly feeds the fuse block. If it is, I have a new spot to test for voltage drop. Good idea on the ammeter staying hooked up if no drop.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: TJP] #3258449
09/17/24 07:11 PM
09/17/24 07:11 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by ruderunner

RR up up to you for staying with this, I stepped out as one does not need OPINIONS when trying to resolve a problem. You have good a handle on it so that is all that is needed to help him.
I have seen too many conflicting EXPERT opinions on forums and at car shows that do nothing but have the guy chasing his tail. KUDOS to you sir beer

I like to share knowledge and hate unresolved problems. Sometimes it can be exasperating but it is what it is.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3258451
09/17/24 07:17 PM
09/17/24 07:17 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
One set of diagrams is from a chassis service manual and one is an assembly manual. I will try to see if I missed a page. I did find a picture someone posted online of the red wire that supposedly feeds the fuse block. If it is, I have a new spot to test for voltage drop. Good idea on the ammeter staying hooked up if no drop.

Service manual ones are probably more accurate. It looks like the underhood diagram you posted included wiring for both a 2 headlight design and a 4 headlight design. Indicates probably for 1970 Chevy A bodies, chevelle and Monte Carslo.

TJP, have you looked at the diagrams? Do you also see the mismatch in the connector views?

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3258498
09/17/24 11:58 PM
09/17/24 11:58 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
No I didn't print them out and put them side by side which is what I normally would do and then use colored pencils to chase the wires. frown

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: TJP] #3258513
09/18/24 05:47 AM
09/18/24 05:47 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
I haven't had a chance yet to print the second batch and see if the same issue is there.

But, if you would check the first set and let me know if I'm missing something that would be great. I started at the battery and worked to the bulkhead then hit an issue

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3258524
09/18/24 08:25 AM
09/18/24 08:25 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I found 2 more pages that I won't be able to scan until Saturday or Sunday, not sure if they are the missing link. The ones that have "1970 Chevrolet "A" Series" on the bottom and look like the notes are hand written are from the "1970 Chevelle and El Camino Monte Carlo Factory Assembly Instruction Manual" and the other ones are from "1970 Chassis Service Manual Chevrolet Chevelle, Monte Carlo, Nova and 1969 Corvette"

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3258532
09/18/24 08:54 AM
09/18/24 08:54 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I did some cutting and taping. I put them in order of left to right, fig 101, fig 104, fig and 150. That looks like it goes from headlights to dash lights. I am just clueless what all the numbers and letters mean. As far as the 2 or 4 headlights, the bottom of that page says "Chevelle, 11" W.B. Station Wagon, and Monte Carlo. I was going to cut and tape the Monte headlights over the Chevelle ones, but they don't line up nicely. Colored pencils will be used there when I know what I'm looking at. Chevelle has 4 headlights and Monte only has 2.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3258647
09/18/24 04:05 PM
09/18/24 04:05 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I got to do some readings today. I didn't have time to get to the ignition switch and no clue which one goes to power the fuse box yet. All tests were from the battery for consistency. The following are in line as they feed the system.

Ammeter in terminal ignition on 076mV and 213mV while cranking.

Ammeter out terminal ignition on 082mV and 210mV while cranking.

Junction block from ammeter ignition on 159mV and 515-583mV while cranking.

Junction block out ignition on 159mV and 412-647mV while cranking.

Horn relay top right ignition on 191mV and 515-583mV while cranking.

Horn relay top left ignition on 189mV and 484-614mV while cranking.

Horn relay bottom left ignition on 179mV and 479-766mV while cranking.

Lower numbers are after a couple seconds of cranking. Higher number was at initial crank.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7