ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Correct that voltage drop should be done while loaded but, based on previous readings, there's a load somewhere in the circuit even without the starter. I'm leaning towards burnt contacts in the ignition switch or the magic green at the bulkhead.

But, that's based on the OP measuring to ground vs an actual drop test. Drop testing is more tolerant of variation in system voltage vs testing to ground.

Still his .5 volt loss is concerning and needs investigation.

I really wish he'd do an actual voltage drop test from battery positive to crank signal. If we can confirm that drop exists (especially without the starter installed) then we know the problem is power supply related.

Note, I've literally spent more time in this thread asking for that specific test than it would take.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: TJP] #3255287
09/02/24 08:49 AM
09/02/24 08:49 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
How would I test it under a load? Not much I can do other than turn the lights on because no starter in it right? I know the lights and everything inside have always been good as well as outside lights. I forgot to mention any voltage testing the battery is hooked up, but the continuity testing is done with the negative terminal off. I don't know if that makes a difference not being hooked up, but from what I read on continuity testing, it shouldn't. I took a 10ga wire scrap yesterday and got continuity with just a few strands touching another scrap. Was disappointed because I was hoping it would show resistance number of more than 0 or open. That was before you posted about it. I will try to get to it today and clean points of contact that I have checked. I have already sanded the paint off the block where the starter support bracket mounts, the starter support bracket where it meets the block, and the bracket where the starter mounts. Thinking in case the starter mounts to the block and the bracket is clean, that gives is 2 grounding points basically. Not sure if it will, but figured a few extra minutes of work to clean them won't hurt.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3255331
09/02/24 12:36 PM
09/02/24 12:36 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Did some more testing. I cleaned the junction block connections. Totally forgot the wiring was modified by the previous owner. He ran a 10ga wire to an ammeter in the car and back out to the junction block. There is fusible links in the wires. They seem ok.

Tested battery 12.49V and 12.19V lights on, Junction block 12.50V and 11.68V lights on, Horn relay 12.51V and 11.62 lights on, IGN tab 12.03V and 11.25V lights on, ammeter was 12.55V and 12.19V-12.04V lights on (hard to get behind that one).

Tested with ammeter disconnected lights off, lights on, and jumper from + to junction block. Horn relay went from 11.62V to 11.9V. Battery was 12.11V. IGN to starter was 12.20V and 11.81V with lights on, Bypass was 12.19V and 11.75V with lights on, NSS was 12.20V and 11.78V with lights on.

Battery voltage was dropping the more I tested, but ratio of drop should be the same if it was fully charged or drained a bit is my assumption.

I am thinking of cutting the ammeter wire from the battery and hooking that to the junction block like factory was. Just have to figure out the fusible link is far enough to reach the junction block. I have a voltage meter for the cigarette lighter I rely on more.

Hoping this makes sense.

I am probably done for now and may retest stuff and more organized notes later. I need to make a chart of lights on and off and test each one at a time. Wrote them down and had trouble deciphering my notes. Decided to quit for now.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3255372
09/02/24 03:22 PM
09/02/24 03:22 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
A fully charged battery should be 13.2 volts. Is your battery any good?

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: slantzilla] #3255374
09/02/24 03:51 PM
09/02/24 03:51 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Originally Posted by slantzilla
A fully charged battery should be 13.2 volts. Is your battery any good?

Battery is only 2 months old and good. Just getting drained from all the testing and turning lights on and not recharging it. I am hoping to get the starter in and drive the car before storage time.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3255376
09/02/24 03:53 PM
09/02/24 03:53 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I finally pulled my head together and did some testing and hopefully got an easy to read format. I want to install the starter soon. If I need to test other electrical, I can pull the NSS harness off so it won't start. Reinstall it to test the starter.

voltage testing 9-2-2024.jpg
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3255631
09/03/24 05:58 PM
09/03/24 05:58 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I installed the starter today and have a wire going from the solenoid start stud to the cabin of the car to check voltage. I started car and tester showed 10.4V min at the battery and inside was 9.64V at solenoid, the key worked. Ammeter was just above 10 before going for a 45 minute drive. Near 0 on positive side when got home, guessing it was due to the battery being charged while driving. 14.5V while driving on the cigarette plug in voltage meter, which is normal. Started with key after about 20 minutes of it sitting after the drive. Shut it off and tried it again in a couple minutes. Didn’t start 3 times and used bypass to get it started each time. Voltage at solenoid was under 7V and test light on NSS out lit up when the no start happened. Started with key on 4th start. I am going to try to get to the bulkhead and see where the purple wire is and if it needs cleaned up.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3255662
09/03/24 08:24 PM
09/03/24 08:24 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Originally Posted by MI_Custumz
I installed the starter today and have a wire going from the solenoid start stud to the cabin of the car to check voltage. I started car and tester showed 10.4V min at the battery and inside was 9.64V at solenoid, the key worked. Ammeter was just above 10 before going for a 45 minute drive. Near 0 on positive side when got home, guessing it was due to the battery being charged while driving. 14.5V while driving on the cigarette plug in voltage meter, which is normal. Started with key after about 20 minutes of it sitting after the drive. Shut it off and tried it again in a couple minutes. Didn’t start 3 times and used bypass to get it started each time.

Voltage at solenoid was under 7V

____ no kidding. I think I told you that a week ago. No offense but, out of your last 3 posts, this is the only relevant information. And we already knew it. Now, seriously, find out where all that power is going before it burns the car down.

and test light on NSS out lit up when the no start happened. Started with key on 4th start. I am going to try to get to the bulkhead and see where the purple wire is and if it needs cleaned up.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3255725
09/04/24 06:11 AM
09/04/24 06:11 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I am going to see if I can get someone to come over and give me a hand that knows about electrical. I wasn't sure how to get a load on the ignition wires without the starter in it. I am going to google how to remove and inspect the bulkhead today. I wasn't sure how much voltage was getting/not getting to the starter until yesterday.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3255880
09/04/24 11:08 PM
09/04/24 11:08 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by ruderunner
Correct that voltage drop should be done while loaded but, based on previous readings, there's a load somewhere in the circuit even without the starter. I'm leaning towards burnt contacts in the ignition switch or the magic green at the bulkhead.

But, that's based on the OP measuring to ground vs an actual drop test. Drop testing is more tolerant of variation in system voltage vs testing to ground.

I really wish he'd do an actual voltage drop test from battery positive to crank signal. If we can confirm that drop exists (especially without the starter installed) then we know the problem is power supply related.

Note, I've literally spent more time in this thread asking for that specific test than it would take.

I can relate to that wink beer

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: TJP] #3255892
09/05/24 06:46 AM
09/05/24 06:46 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Originally Posted by TJP

I can relate to that wink beer

I'll drop the starter again and try to do the drop test. I did that I did it, but couldn't get below 12V at the starter wire.

Last edited by MI_Custumz; 09/05/24 06:47 AM.
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3256014
09/05/24 05:46 PM
09/05/24 05:46 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Meter hookup is simple. Battery positive on one test lead, the other lead at the starter.

You don't need to ground anything. You don't need to probe anything. Just need to know voltage between those two points.

Try to crank.

If you test with the starter installed it sounds like the meter will read around 5 volts.

If the starter is out the meter will show something like point 5 volts.

Both results are horrendously bad, but we need you to confirm at least one.

Sorry I got short the other day BUT all the extra fiddling and information you've provided is simply information overload. It is a pain to try to read through all of that and see if anything important was mentioned. We don't need to know about headlight voltage, we're not currently worried about a ground problem or really anything other than what are voltages along this one circuit.

It's easy to get from here to there, but you do need to know where here and there are.

Did you get colored pencils?

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3256089
09/05/24 11:30 PM
09/05/24 11:30 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
and test light on NSS out lit up when the no start happened. Started with key on 4th start. I am going to try to get to the bulkhead and see where the purple wire is and if it needs cleaned up.

Was the light as bright when it would not start as it was when it started? There is the key to understanding what the problem is. IE: if there is a Voltage drop on inability to pass current.

The Brightness of the bulb indicates the amount of V and Current available.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: TJP] #3256111
09/06/24 05:51 AM
09/06/24 05:51 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
My question is what kind of test light? Typical toolbox type won't have much difference in brightness.

But, if he was only reading 7 volts at the solenoid when it doesn't crank, that's not enough.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3256113
09/06/24 06:43 AM
09/06/24 06:43 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I can not physically get a multimeter probe end on the starter when it's installed.

Would this work: I have a wire from the starter to the inside of the car to check voltage at the solenoid. I can run a test wire with clips from the battery to the one end of the multimeter and the other end to the test wire in the car. That should be a battery to meter, meter to wire, wire to starter solenoid. To avoid starting the car, can I just unhook the wire going to "BATT" on the HEI distributor cap? Would be easier than dropping the starter to avoid actual start up. But is it ok for the starter to run a few seconds and not start the car? Then move it from positive post to negative post and try again correct?

The test light set up on the NSS out is a tail light socket with 1157 bulb in it. It was bright when the no start with the key happened and low voltage at the starter. Bright as in seemed like the same as when it started.

I posted the headlights on results because nobody explained what "loading the circuit" meant and I thought maybe turning on other stuff would load it. I wasn't sure how to load the starter circuit without the starter in it. Is it basically just turning the key and sending signal to the starter? Holding it a few seconds?

Like I said, I'm not a mechanic or electrician so me not understanding how something works makes it difficult for me to get what results people are looking for. I compare it to Veterans talking military jargon and civilians looking at them like they have a third eye.

A thought I had was to try this, but not sure if it would be a good test. The connector that goes on the NSS has a top and bottom female connector (one molded connector with 2 slots). Top is power (would have to verify it again) from the ignition and the other goes to the starter. Could I just move the connector down so the top female is on the bottom male and that leaves the top male tab open. Then hook the wire from the solenoid to that open tab? NSS should work if power is in top/out bottom or in bottom/out top from my understanding. That would be basically key to NSS, NSS right to starter. Bypassing bulkhead and original starter wire.

I get being frustrated with all kinds of extra info and going through it. I have to do that at work and it gets old fast. However, I look at it as the person is trying and they intend to do the right thing to avoid trouble and penalties. They don't understand the laws or get bad info, but we always try to work with them to make sure it's done right in the end. Same here.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3256122
09/06/24 08:47 AM
09/06/24 08:47 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
What setting on multimeter would I use for battery + & - to starter? I understand checking voltage, but that’s a new one. What is it looking for since it’s not grounded? Can I test NSS and wires to it same way to work from starter to bulkhead and ignition to bulkhead? Just asking so I understand it and can get the results for help.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3256177
09/06/24 12:48 PM
09/06/24 12:48 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Go into a holding pattern. I have to get back to work but can respond later.

Maybe start rereading the thread and take some notes.

And get colored pencils.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3256265
09/06/24 05:17 PM
09/06/24 05:17 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Go into a holding pattern. I have to get back to work but can respond later.

Maybe start rereading the thread and take some notes.

And get colored pencils.

I'm in a holding pattern anyway. Too much going on and no time to get in the garage. I'll go through the post again and take notes.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3256267
09/06/24 05:28 PM
09/06/24 05:28 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
I can not physically get a multimeter probe end on the starter when it's installed.

_____ one reason why I said leave it out for now. But at this point you should have enough practice to do it in 5 minutes. It's in, so leave it alone.

Would this work: I have a wire from the starter to the inside of the car to check voltage at the solenoid. I can run a test wire with clips from the battery to the one end of the multimeter and the other end to the test wire in the car. That should be a battery to meter, meter to wire, wire to starter solenoid.

_____ yes, you absolutely can extend the meter leads and if this wire is on the same connection as the crank signal wire, that works fine. Yes, run an extension from battery positive. NOT NEGATIVE.

To avoid starting the car, can I just unhook the wire going to "BATT" on the HEI distributor cap?

____ yes, I mentioned that before

Would be easier than dropping the starter to avoid actual start up. But is it ok for the starter to run a few seconds and not start the car?

_____ won't hurt the starter as long as you don't grind away too long. 15 seconds is long enough. You just need it long enough to get a steady reading.

Then move it from positive post to negative post and try again correct?

_____ NO! Nowhere has anyone mentioned mentioned battery negative.

The test light set up on the NSS out is a tail light socket with 1157 bulb in it. It was bright when the no start with the key happened and low voltage at the starter. Bright as in seemed like the same as when it started.

_____ a light is merely a guide, a quick and dirty test tool. Not very accurate though.

I posted the headlights on results because nobody explained what "loading the circuit" meant and I thought maybe turning on other stuff would load it.

____ loading a circuit basically means operating it. Turning on the headlights loads the headlights circuit but has nothing to do with the starter.

I wasn't sure how to load the starter circuit without the starter in it. Is it basically just turning the key and sending signal to the starter? Holding it a few seconds?

_____ yes. But from previous readings you posted, there's a power loss even without the starter installed. Hence it might be possible to test the circuit without the starter. The starter is in, leave it alone.

Like I said, I'm not a mechanic or electrician so me not understanding how something works makes it difficult for me to get what results people are looking for. I compare it to Veterans talking military jargon and civilians looking at them like they have a third eye.

____ understood but, instructions were very simple and specific. More about this later.

A thought I had was to try this, but not sure if it would be a good test. The connector that goes on the NSS has a top and bottom female connector (one molded connector with 2 slots). Top is power (would have to verify it again) from the ignition and the other goes to the starter. Could I just move the connector down so the top female is on the bottom male and that leaves the top male tab open. Then hook the wire from the solenoid to that open tab? NSS should work if power is in top/out bottom or in bottom/out top from my understanding. That would be basically key to NSS, NSS right to starter. Bypassing bulkhead and original starter wire.

____ that's modifying the wiring and introducing more variables that will confuse the situation. Don't do it.

I get being frustrated with all kinds of extra info and going through it. I have to do that at work and it gets old fast. However, I look at it as the person is trying and they intend to do the right thing to avoid trouble and penalties. They don't understand the laws or get bad info, but we always try to work with them to make sure it's done right in the end. Same here.

____ sure but we've also tried to emphasize what should be done on not done.

Last edited by ruderunner; 09/06/24 05:52 PM.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3256271
09/06/24 05:48 PM
09/06/24 05:48 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
What setting on multimeter would I use for battery + & - to starter?

____Posted earlier, use the lowest scale you have. We're looking for small voltages. And, it doesn't matter which meter lead goes where, we're concerned with the amount not the polarity. If you think about it, everything on this wire IS POSITIVE. Where would you hook up negative? There's nowhere to do so.

I understand checking voltage, but that’s a new one. What is it looking for since it’s not grounded?

____ a difference in the amount of voltage at 2 points on a wire.

Can I test NSS and wires to it same way to work from starter to bulkhead and ignition to bulkhead? Just asking so I understand it and can get the results for help.

_____ if I understand your question correctly, YES! That's the way it works. You want to test various points between the starter solenoid and battery positive. In this case you have an extension wire from the solenoid to inside the car so test that first.

Then test at the NSS which you have easy access to.

Then go to the next easiest place, whether it's the bulkhead or the ignition switch. Refer to the diagram.

At some point, your reading will drop to zero or very close to it. Your problem is between the zero point and the previous test point. This is where the diagram comes in as it's a map of where the electricity goes.

Last edited by ruderunner; 09/06/24 05:54 PM.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7