09/06/24 05:55 PM
09/06/24 05:55 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
To get some clarity, I am going to do the following. I hope the red words show up as they are questions on the instructions. I just want to make sure I'm hooking things up to the right spots. I am kind of understanding it now and will try my best to get the info requested, but sure there will be questions for clarity along the way. Either testing procedures or understanding how it works so I kind of have more of an idea on what's going on.

I'd make a high draw test light (generic turn signal socket and 1157 bulb with long leads and alligator clips) and put the bulb where you can see it. Test for power at the solenoid and work your way back to the ignition switch. The semi permanent installation will be present when the problem occurs, not hours later after a tow call. Sometimes with intermittent problems you have to do things like this. Currently have an 1157 socket at the NSS output to starter and wire from solenoid to car interior with a multimeter hooked to it.

I will unplug the HEI BATT connector and leave the starter in. If I need to drop the starter, I will.

For a starting point to test, I wouldn't use the questionable previous owner stuff. I'd connect to the stud on the starter that gets the crank signal. Other end connected to battery negative. As things progress, the connection points will change and at some point you'll need something to backprobe the bulkhead connection. What would the wire to negative do and battery cable for crank signal or solenoid ignition wire?

12.4 volts at the solenoid is a problem. You need battery voltage there.

1-Meter set to a low voltage scale , one end to battery positive, the other to starter battery connection. Voltage should read zero. Now crank, what does meter show?

2-Move battery end of meter to negative, meter should read same as battery. Now crank, what does meter show? Don’t understand what I’m looking for here, but will do it anyway. Helps if I have an idea of what’s happening to work on it. I do get the initial voltage since it’s positive to ground.

We're looking for differences of tenths of a volt, if you have a 2 volt setting or millivolt setting that's what to use.
If you have 2000mv that's a 2 volt scale, use that. We'll be looking for readings between 0 and 700 mv. More than that indicates big problems.

3-If you're planning on getting a couple steps ahead, a voltage drop test from the starter signal stud ( small, on the solenoid) and battery positive would be my next step and then from the engine block to battery negative(isolates the ground cable). Is this the same as step 1 and 2, but using the meter from the solenoid to the battery positive post, then negative post? And then the same for the block to the negative post, then positive post? I would use the bolt at the starter support bracket more than likely.

Since it sounds like the NSS and the bypass are getting power from the fuse block, your problem is between the fuse block and battery.

Meter hookup is simple. Battery positive on one test lead, the other lead at the starter. Battery cable at the starter or solenoid?
You don't need to ground anything. You don't need to probe anything. Just need to know voltage between those two points.
Try to crank.
If you test with the starter installed it sounds like the meter will read around 5 volts.
If the starter is out the meter will show something like point 5 volts.
Both results are horrendously bad, but we need you to confirm at least one.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3256275
09/06/24 06:13 PM
09/06/24 06:13 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Originally Posted by MI_Custumz
To get some clarity, I am going to do the following. I hope the red words show up as they are questions on the instructions. I just want to make sure I'm hooking things up to the right spots. I am kind of understanding it now and will try my best to get the info requested, but sure there will be questions for clarity along the way. Either testing procedures or understanding how it works so I kind of have more of an idea on what's going on.

I'd make a high draw test light (generic turn signal socket and 1157 bulb with long leads and alligator clips) and put the bulb where you can see it. Test for power at the solenoid and work your way back to the ignition switch. The semi permanent installation will be present when the problem occurs, not hours later after a tow call. Sometimes with intermittent problems you have to do things like this.

Currently have an 1157 socket at the NSS output to starter and wire from solenoid to car interior with a multimeter hooked to it.

____ understood. It may not be much use but leave it alone for now.

I will unplug the HEI BATT connector and leave the starter in. If I need to drop the starter, I will.

____ should be no need to.

For a starting point to test, I wouldn't use the questionable previous owner stuff. I'd connect to the stud on the starter that gets the crank signal. Other end connected to battery negative. As things progress, the connection points will change and at some point you'll need something to backprobe the bulkhead connection.

What would the wire to negative do and battery cable for crank signal or solenoid ignition wire?

____ this was for using the test light to try to catch an intermittent situation. Test lights work on higher voltage than what we're checking.

12.4 volts at the solenoid is a problem. You need battery voltage there.

1-Meter set to a low voltage scale , one end to battery positive, the other to starter battery connection. Voltage should read zero. Now crank, what does meter show?

____ you didn't ask but, this was to test the big battery cable for a voltage drop.

2-Move battery end of meter to negative, meter should read same as battery. Now crank, what does meter show?

Don’t understand what I’m looking for here, but will do it anyway. Helps if I have an idea of what’s happening to work on it. I do get the initial voltage since it’s positive to ground.

_____ this test would have been for the ground between the starter and battery.

We're looking for differences of tenths of a volt, if you have a 2 volt setting or millivolt setting that's what to use.
If you have 2000mv that's a 2 volt scale, use that. We'll be looking for readings between 0 and 700 mv. More than that indicates big problems.

3-If you're planning on getting a couple steps ahead, a voltage drop test from the starter signal stud ( small, on the solenoid) and battery positive would be my next step and then from the engine block to battery negative(isolates the ground cable).

Is this the same as step 1 and 2, but using the meter from the solenoid to the battery positive post, then negative post? And then the same for the block to the negative post, then positive post? I would use the bolt at the starter support bracket more than likely.

____ you're catching on. We're breaking the system down into smaller parts and testing them individually.

Since it sounds like the NSS and the bypass are getting power from the fuse block, your problem is between the fuse block and battery.

Meter hookup is simple. Battery positive on one test lead, the other lead at the starter.

Battery cable at the starter or solenoid?

____ battery terminal and crank signal. The purple (I think) wire.

You don't need to ground anything. You don't need to probe anything. Just need to know voltage between those two points.
Try to crank.
If you test with the starter installed it sounds like the meter will read around 5 volts.
If the starter is out the meter will show something like point 5 volts.
Both results are horrendously bad, but we need you to confirm at least one.

Last edited by ruderunner; 09/06/24 06:16 PM.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3256277
09/06/24 06:22 PM
09/06/24 06:22 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Just occurred to me, think of this process as a game of Battleship.

You know your opponent is out there but you don't know where. You start lobbing shells and eventually you hit something. Now you focus your fire. Eventually you start getting hits in a row.

Enough hits in a row and you sink something.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3256863
09/09/24 07:22 PM
09/09/24 07:22 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I get the game of battleship analogy. I got out in the garage and this is what I got today. I tried to follow the instructions given. If there is anything right, wrong, indifferent, let me know. I don't understand what exactly I'm looking for, but trying.

Unhooked HEI power. Used a test lead from starter battery cable end, test lead to engine ground (verified with test light as a good ground), test lead from battery terminals, test lead from solenoid to inside of car (hooked up to monitor solenoid voltage when installed the starter last time), input to NSS (output has 1157 bulb to monitor). Can not get the clips to stay on the solenoid purple ignition wire, so used the lead I have set up.

Starter:
Hooked multimeter to battery positive to starter positive cable and positive battery terminal. Battery was 12.71V. 20V setting showed 0 and 2000mV showed 0. Cranked engine over and got .23V (20V setting) and -236 (2000mV setting).
Moved test lead to negative terminal and left other one on starter. Battery showed 12.56V. 20V setting showed 12.61V (20V setting) and OL (2000mV setting). Cranked engine over and got 10.61V (20V setting) and OL (2000mV setting).

Solenoid:
Hooked multimeter up to wire in car that goes to solenoid and positive battery terminal. Battery was 12.61V. 20V setting showed .12.61V and 2000mV showed OL . Cranked engine over and got .44V (20V setting) and 1418 (2000mV setting).
Moved test lead to negative terminal. 20V setting showed 0V (20V setting) and -.002 (2000mV setting). Cranked engine over and got -9.48V (20V setting) and OL (2000mV setting).

NSS input:
Hooked multimeter to ground in car and positive to NSS. Got 10.03V (20V setting) and for some reason OL (2000mV setting).

Solenoid inside car:
Same set up as NSS. Got 9.45 V (20V setting) and OL-990 (2000mV setting).

Block to Negative:
Battery was 12.5V. 0V (20V setting) and 0V (2000mV setting). Cranked engine over and got .29V (20V setting) and 300 (2000mV setting).

Car cranked each time and 1157 test bulb on NSS output lit up each time.

I'm guessing the negative are because of how the leads were set up. Battery showed -12.71V when they were on the wrong terminals just to see if I understood it correctly. I realize it would be better to test the actual ignition wire vs the test lead I have on it, but if that has to be done, I'll have to do it later. Getting close to putting the car up for the season and don't want to have it starting when not driving it.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3257040
09/10/24 06:47 PM
09/10/24 06:47 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Don't worry about negative readings on the meter, that just says leads are backwards but it doesn't matter. We're looking for the numbers, .

Your meter shows OL (overload) on the millivolt scale because you're measuring well over 2 volts. Nothing unusual there.

Ok, so your voltage readings check out ok at this time. So we're still chasing an intermittent condition. This is actually good news.. Wires don't generally make and break connections. But switches do. Moving parts that can sometimes make good contact and sometimes not.

But, just to point out, those situations where you were reading say .25 volts, you were measuring how many volts were getting lost to resistance in the circuit. We're not working with superconductors so some drop is expected.

I'd keep the meter in the car and have it connected to the power in side of the NSS and battery positive. You've already tried bypassing the NSS and still had no crank situations. So the NSS is not the problem. My hunch is the ignition switch has flaky contacts. The NSS gets power from the ignition switch when turned to start. When the problem occurs, I bet you'll see well over a 2 volt reading.

And, testing from battery positive negates the need to have a second meter measuring battery voltage. Those 10 volt readings showed a big draw on the battery. Testing to ground would get thrown off by the battery getting drawn down.

Last edited by ruderunner; 09/10/24 07:20 PM.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3257042
09/10/24 07:06 PM
09/10/24 07:06 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
I get the game of battleship analogy. I got out in the garage and this is what I got today. I tried to follow the instructions given. If there is anything right, wrong, indifferent, let me know. I don't understand what exactly I'm looking for, but trying.

Unhooked HEI power. Used a test lead from starter battery cable end, test lead to engine ground (verified with test light as a good ground), test lead from battery terminals, test lead from solenoid to inside of car (hooked up to monitor solenoid voltage when installed the starter last time), input to NSS (output has 1157 bulb to monitor). Can not get the clips to stay on the solenoid purple ignition wire, so used the lead I have set up.

Starter:
Hooked multimeter to battery positive to starter positive cable and positive battery terminal. Battery was 12.71V. 20V setting showed 0 and 2000mV showed 0. Cranked engine over and got .23V (20V setting) and -236 (2000mV setting).

____ congratulations, you've done a proper voltage drop test. You measured about. 25 volts of drop between the battery terminal and the end of the starter cable. A bit high but acceptable.

Moved test lead to negative terminal and left other one on starter. Battery showed 12.56V. 20V setting showed 12.61V (20V setting) and OL (2000mV setting). Cranked engine over and got 10.61V (20V setting) and OL (2000mV setting).

____ would be nice to see what battery voltage reads at the same time but, seems typical. Starters put a heck of a draw on a battery.

Solenoid:
Hooked multimeter up to wire in car that goes to solenoid and positive battery terminal. Battery was 12.61V. 20V setting showed .12.61V and 2000mV showed OL . Cranked engine over and got .44V (20V setting) and 1418 (2000mV setting).

____ this is the same terminal as the wire to the NSS correct?

Moved test lead to negative terminal. 20V setting showed 0V (20V setting) and -.002 (2000mV setting). Cranked engine over and got -9.48V (20V setting) and OL (2000mV setting).

NSS input:
Hooked multimeter to ground in car and positive to NSS. Got 10.03V (20V setting) and for some reason OL (2000mV setting).

____ please retest between battery positive and both sides of the NSS.

Solenoid inside car:
Same set up as NSS. Got 9.45 V (20V setting) and OL-990 (2000mV setting).

Block to Negative:
Battery was 12.5V. 0V (20V setting) and 0V (2000mV setting). Cranked engine over and got .29V (20V setting) and 300 (2000mV setting).

____ battery cables both check out fine, another. 25 ish drop on the ground side.

Car cranked each time and 1157 test bulb on NSS output lit up each time.

____ so still intermittent. But when testing, your results seem ok. Going to need to catch it when it acts up. See following post

I'm guessing the negative are because of how the leads were set up. Battery showed -12.71V when they were on the wrong terminals just to see if I understood it correctly. I realize it would be better to test the actual ignition wire vs the test lead I have on it, but if that has to be done, I'll have to do it later. Getting close to putting the car up for the season and don't want to have it starting when not driving it.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3257136
09/11/24 09:29 AM
09/11/24 09:29 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Solenoid:

____ this is the same terminal as the wire to the NSS correct?

This was the wire I installed to monitor voltage at the starter solenoid when I put the starter back in. It is a wire from the solenoid stud where the ignition wire goes. Purple wire goes from ignition switch, to NSS, to bulkhead, to this stud. S stud on starter solenoid.

NSS input:

____ please retest between battery positive and both sides of the NSS.

I will see when I can get to it. I am not sure how easy it will be to get the probe to the lower tab on the NSS.

Ignition switch is only a few years old, but I'll take a look at the connections and see if it needs adjust a tad.

End of the month is when I plan on putting it up for the year and then won't be able to do much with it as far a starting the car.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3257161
09/11/24 11:22 AM
09/11/24 11:22 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Tried to adjust the ignition switch towards the steering wheel a tad to get more push from actuator rod. Connections looked good.

NSS:

Top terminal (purple w/white tracer input). Test lead from positive battery terminal to multimeter, multimeter to switch tab. In Reverse (I know it shouldn’t start, but tested any way) I got 0V with key on run and .17V when cranking (20V setting). Then 002 with key on and 178 when cranking (2000mV setting). Car did not crank due to being in Reverse. In park I got 12.30V (20V setting) with key on and OL (2000mV setting). Cranking in park I got .90V (20V setting) and 906 (2000mV setting). Car was trying to start.

Bottom terminal (purple output). Test lead from positive battery terminal to multimeter, multimeter to switch tab. In Reverse (I know it shouldn’t start, but tested any way) I got 12.34V with key on run and 12.34V when cranking (20V setting). Then OL for both run and cranking (2000mV setting. In park I got 12.30V (20V setting) with key on and OL (2000mV setting). Cranking in park I got 1.15V (20V setting) and 1023 (2000mV setting). Car was trying to start.

Battery voltage at terminals was 12.41V at end of testing.

Not sure what the numbers mean, but the NSS output looks like a heck of a drop.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3257255
09/11/24 08:25 PM
09/11/24 08:25 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Stop testing to ground. Unless you're monitoring battery voltage at the exact same time, these readings are useless.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3257258
09/11/24 08:31 PM
09/11/24 08:31 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Tried to adjust the ignition switch towards the steering wheel a tad to get more push from actuator rod. Connections looked good.

NSS:

Top terminal (purple w/white tracer input). Test lead from positive battery terminal to multimeter, multimeter to switch tab. In Reverse (I know it shouldn’t start, but tested any way) I got 0V with key on run and .17V when cranking (20V setting). Then 002 with key on and 178 when cranking (2000mV setting).

____ please just use 2 volt scale, simpler to follow and less monkeying around. But, .178 volts on an open circuit sounds wrong. Otoh, we're getting into too much information making things difficult to sort out.

Car did not crank due to being in Reverse. In park I got 12.30V (20V setting) with key on and OL (2000mV setting). Cranking in park I got .90V (20V setting) and 906 (2000mV setting). Car was trying to start.

Bottom terminal (purple output). Test lead from positive battery terminal to multimeter, multimeter to switch tab. In Reverse (I know it shouldn’t start, but tested any way) I got 12.34V with key on run and 12.34V when cranking (20V setting). Then OL for both run and cranking (2000mV setting. In park I got 12.30V (20V setting) with key on and OL (2000mV setting). Cranking in park I got 1.15V (20V setting) and 1023 (2000mV setting). Car was trying to start.

You're doing too much work and I'm getting a headache.

Last edited by ruderunner; 09/11/24 08:32 PM.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3257298
09/11/24 11:12 PM
09/11/24 11:12 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by ruderunner

NSS:

Top terminal (purple w/white tracer input). Test lead from positive battery terminal to multimeter, multimeter to switch tab. In Reverse (I know it shouldn’t start, but tested any way) I got 0V with key on run and .17V when cranking (20V setting). Then 002 with key on and 178 when cranking (2000mV setting).

____ please just use 2 volt scale, simpler to follow and less monkeying around. But, .178 volts on an open circuit sounds wrong. Otoh, we're getting into too much information making things difficult to sort out.

Car did not crank due to being in Reverse. In park I got 12.30V (20V setting) with key on and OL (2000mV setting). Cranking in park I got .90V (20V setting) and 906 (2000mV setting). Car was trying to start.

iagree
And 1.15 volts while trying to start is impossible. Did you mean 11.15 V

As stated previously, you have to monitor the Voltage AT the solenoid and compare it to when the problem occurs. then start backtracking to the IGN switch. Or continue to chase your tail, no offense meant but a lot of time has been invested trying to help you.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: TJP] #3257325
09/12/24 05:58 AM
09/12/24 05:58 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
I was trying to make sense of that myself, wondering if a faulty internal ground on the solenoid would cause it.

But, I'm thinking no if the NSS isn't transmitting power.

So, if no cranking, why such a low reading? 11 volts indicates a big draw on the battery, especially if the starter isn't operating.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3257326
09/12/24 06:44 AM
09/12/24 06:44 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I did the test per the instructions given. Battery positive, test lead, multimeter, NSS. Nothing with ground or negative terminal was done until after I tested the NSS and checked battery voltage after the test.

"NSS input:

____ please retest between battery positive and both sides of the NSS. "

Nothing hooked to a ground. The car was cranking, therefore the starter was working. HEI was unplugged so it wouldn't start. I was simply following the instructions given and for my own piece of mind, when I got an OL I decided to test on 20V setting so I can see something.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: TJP] #3257327
09/12/24 06:47 AM
09/12/24 06:47 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by ruderunner

NSS:

iagree
And 1.15 volts while trying to start is impossible. Did you mean 11.15 V

As stated previously, you have to monitor the Voltage AT the solenoid and compare it to when the problem occurs. then start backtracking to the IGN switch. Or continue to chase your tail, no offense meant but a lot of time has been invested trying to help you.

I wasn't measuring voltage to the solenoid. I was measuring what I was instructed to do with the multimeter on the positive battery terminal and other end on the NSS. I do monitor the voltage at the solenoid with a multimeter and test lead to it. I drove it today and the no start didn't happen.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3257516
09/13/24 05:23 AM
09/13/24 05:23 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
I did the test per the instructions given. Battery positive, test lead, multimeter, NSS. Nothing with ground or negative terminal was done until after I tested the NSS and checked battery voltage after the test.

"NSS input:

____ please retest between battery positive and both sides of the NSS. "

Nothing hooked to a ground. The car was cranking, therefore the starter was working. HEI was unplugged so it wouldn't start. I was simply following the instructions given and for my own piece of mind, when I got an OL I decided to test on 20V setting so I can see something.

So to clarify

Meter to battery positive and NSS?

You read 1.15 volts?

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3257520
09/13/24 06:44 AM
09/13/24 06:44 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Yes. I can do the test again to confirm the numbers, but may be a few days to get to it.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3257696
09/14/24 08:06 AM
09/14/24 08:06 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Please do. This is the question we're trying to answer.

One meter lead to battery positive terminal. Doesn't matter which.

Other meter lead to NSS output. This can be the wire you have run into the vehicle.

Meter set to 2 volt scale (2000 millivolt) don't bother with 20V

Crank engine.

What does the meter show?

You're response should be less than 10 characters.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3257712
09/14/24 09:57 AM
09/14/24 09:57 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
936 on 2000mV setting.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3257791
09/14/24 05:27 PM
09/14/24 05:27 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Thank you.

So, as expected you're losing nearly 1 volt between the battery and the solenoid. Combine that with the voltage loss the battery suffers when cranking (down to 10.?) And you're getting maybe 9 volts to the solenoid. Not adequate for reliable operation.

Do you se the voltage drop from one point (battery terminal) to the other (solenoid) ?

Do you see how testing to ground can be misleading?

If you're not monitoring battery voltage while testing to ground, you don't know if you're reading is valid.

So, now it's a straightforward job to narrow down where the voltage drop is occurring. It might be a little bit in a couple places or all in one place. Now the simple part is, keep the meter connected to battery positive, find the next convenient place to test for a drop. It might be the ignition switch, maybe the bulkhead, whatever is easier.

I reviewed some of this and noticed you mentioned an aftermarket ammeter. Check the drop on both terminals of that.

You've lobbed a shell and hit the battleship . Now a few more shells to figure out which direction it's going.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3257798
09/14/24 06:37 PM
09/14/24 06:37 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I am trying to understand it better, but think I'm starting to get it. 936mV is .936V and that's the voltage drop or loss? If the battery drops to 10.2V while starting, and from my understanding is normal (10.2V is per the battery tester I had hooked up), then it's only barely getting enough at times to activate the solenoid. Any more drop and it won't activate the solenoid basically. As simple as driving it and underhood heat could cause just enough resistance to make it not have enough to fire it up if it's a wire losing voltage under the hood.

The positive battery to the suspect (NSS, positive battery cable on starter, etc) point is the voltage drop test and results?

I can drop the steering column to check the ignition switch. Would I just put the probe in the back of the connector? I am assuming so that way it tries to start and puts a load on the starting circuit.

I can test the ammeter next time I tinker with it as well.

I believe the wiring goes like this for the car: Battery (main cable) to starter. Battery (smaller wire) to ammeter, ammeter to junction block, junction block to horn relay, horn relay to bulkhead (have to see which wire that is and verify it by cleaning them to see the colors as the bulkhead is hard to see the wire colors and it is a PITA to get to), bulkhead to fuse box, not sure how wires to the ignition switch run, ignition switch to where the NSS would be for a column shift, harness extension to the console NSS, back through the harness to bulkhead somehow, and to starter solenoid. Obviously the main issue is before the NSS and I'll work my way back to the fuse box as far as I can. Then possibly from junction block to bulkhead. Bulkhead is going to be the hard part for me I think. Sorry for the long part here, but I want to make sure I'm not missing a spot to test and have that route written down in my notes.

Other points I was thinking of doing a voltage drop test would be ignition switch, junction block, horn relay, and bulkhead if I can figure that out as to which wire it is. The ones under the hood I'll have to get a helper or try to clip it with test leads and use a camera to monitor the reading upon cranking.

Am I tracking so far? I also now see how voltage (hot and ground set up) can be misleading. Learning something new.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7