08/16/24 07:52 PM
08/16/24 07:52 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
I/m pretty sure GM used it to complete as hot circuit.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: moparx] #3251947
08/16/24 09:47 PM
08/16/24 09:47 PM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Originally Posted by moparx
i always thought most neutral safety switches just completed a ground circuit ? shruggy
at least that's how i have always wired them up on most [if not all] makes when i have used a universal harness or wired from scratch.
beer

GM breaks the purple wire, which is the hot feed to the solenoid.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: John Brown] #3251996
08/17/24 08:28 AM
08/17/24 08:28 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
The purple wire is definitely the hot one and is what's broke. When I first made the post I was sure it was the NSS since it worked whey bypassed and thought it was either bad but tested good somehow or out of adjustment. Once it happened again with the NSS bypassed, it turned into a whole different beast.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: poorboy] #3254006
08/27/24 06:20 AM
08/27/24 06:20 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by MI_Custumz
Originally Posted by ruderunner
So just to clarify a couple things

The NSS is on the shifter in this application?

Your intermittent no crank still happened with the NSS bypassed?

Does this only happen hot? Or will it happen on first starts too?

This really sounds like typical GM solenoid failure, but iirc you've already replaced it.

I'd make a high draw test light (generic turn signal socket and 1157 bulb with long leads and alligator clips) and put the bulb where you can see it. Test for power at the solenoid and work your way back to the ignition switch. The semi permanent installation will be present when the problem occurs, not hours later after a tow call. Sometimes with intermittent problems you have to do things like this.

Happens hot, cold, after storage, no rhyme or reason it seems like.

I have not replaced the starter or solenoid, but have removed it to mount a new battery cable to it. Connections there all seem good by looks. I now live alone and sometimes getting someone to turn the key so I can get a multi meter or test light on it is hard because there aren't a lot of people in the neighborhood I can ask and they come right over. I never thought of a test socket set up. I get power to the NSS every time I test it. However, I don't think I tested it when it wouldn't crank. I will keep a test light in the car as a reminder to check that next time. The NSS is in the console on the shifter so I can get to that easily to test it. I appreciate the input and keeping it simple for me.

This sure makes it sound a lot like the solenoid on the starter is dying. Years ago, you could buy replacement solenoids pretty cheap and they were not hard to change. If that starter has been on the car for many years, and a replacement solenoid is still available, I believe I would just go ahead ans replace the solenoid on the starter.

Took the starter to a reputable rebuilder. He tested it and said it's good and then opened it up to take a look. He said it is definitely good all around and has lots of zip to it. He put a bad one on and one that was going bad so I could see and hear the difference. Since the starter was taken off Sunday I tested the ignition wire and it is getting 12.2V. He said it sounds like possibly a ground issue. I have the ground going from the battery to the alternator bracket and battery to the fender. I am going to see how to route a cable to the block from the alternator bracket. Have to measure to see how long of one I need. I doubt the existing battery cable can reach. Been too hot to be in the garage, so it may be a little progress at a time. I will also try to look for other ground wires and make sure they are clean and have continuity.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3254025
08/27/24 07:59 AM
08/27/24 07:59 AM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
I can verify from actual experience that the alternator bracket can 'lose ground' to the block, the water pump, and the intake manifold, all three, and leave you with a no start problem. That situation can be verified by running a heavy jumper cable from the ground cable or the battery directly to the block and re-testing. The actual solution was to remove the alternator bracket and wire brush it and all three places it connects to, along with the long bolt that goes through the alternator to the head.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: John Brown] #3254075
08/27/24 12:10 PM
08/27/24 12:10 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Why not just buy a ground cable long enough to reach from the battery to the block and use a toothed washer between the cable and bolt head?

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3254102
08/27/24 02:35 PM
08/27/24 02:35 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
The purple wire is definitely the hot one and is what's broke. When I first made the post I was sure it was the NSS since it worked whey bypassed and thought it was either bad but tested good somehow or out of adjustment. Once it happened again with the NSS bypassed, it turned into a whole different beast.

I have followed this off and on and believe I previously suggested a temporary light on the output side of the NSS. When the issue occurs if the light is as bright as it is when it doesn't you have isolated that the issue is between the NSS output and the starter.
If the light is dimmer than normal that indicates resistance in the circuit that may not be allowing enough current to pass and energize the solenoid.

You mentioned the NSS tested good but did not elaborate on what method was used to test it

Do be aware that testing with an ohmmeter, DVM (same thing) or test light may indicate good as their is little current passing through the switch. The Solenoid demands a reasonable amount of current> So, depending on how it was tested what appeared good may actually still be bad wink

This is a VERY simple circuit.
Ignition switch to NSS ( not sure of color on your particular car)
From NSS switch to bulkhead (purple think)
From engine side of bulkhead Purple to starter solenoid.

Not sure where or how your bypass is wired but knowing that may help isolate the area to look. twocents beer

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: TJP] #3254168
08/27/24 07:41 PM
08/27/24 07:41 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I am by no means a mechanic. I know this may be frustrating to some mechanics, but I want to learn and understand how it works. I appreciate all the patience and advice given here no doubt about that.

But was tinkering with it the past few days and have some more things to share.

Starter tested good and internals were in great shape per the starter shop.
Tested continuity of NSS as well as voltage and it gets 12.2V (I think that was it) to the wire from ignition to NSS. Didn't test voltage when trying to start the car, just the wire itself.
I have yet to figure out how to hook up a tail light socket to the NSS to see what it does if it doesn't start. Thinking just shoving the bare wires in the plug and bypassing the NSS, but that won't test the NSS.
Put a test light on the positive post and got it to light up for a ground at the alternator bracket, frame, core support, starter mounting support bracket bolt, pad on the block where the starter mounts, and have yet to mount the starter again to test the housing for a ground.

I was thinking of leaving the starter support bracket off and leaving the bolt in the block. Support bracket wasn't on it for a long time so no issue that I can think of if it's off for a bit to test. If it doesn't start again (hopefully at home so I can get to it, car sits really low) I was going to put a jumper cable end on that and the other end to the battery negative and see if that works. If it does, I'll go get a new cable and run it there for a ground. I will have to see how to route it to keep it from hitting the exhaust. I will also wire brush the block around the bolt hole and the bracket if I go that route. Bracket will be against the block, negative cable, star washer between the cable and bracket, and then the bolt head.

I have 2 ga battery cables on it now and don't really want to go to 4 ga.

The bypass wire goes from the ignition tab in the fuse block, to the button, and right to the S terminal on the starter. Both the bypass and factory wires for the solenoid tested 12.2V when turning the key to start and no starter in it. It is really tight and can't seem to get the multimeter in there without fighting it.

I am writing all the suggestions down and slowly trying to get to them all.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3254190
08/27/24 10:05 PM
08/27/24 10:05 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I believe your best approach would be to try the light bulb brightness test. If it is dimmer than normal when the problem occurs you will then know it is a current/connection issue.
All you need is a nail, needle anything you can push into the connector housing. Attach one end of the test light to the nail pin needle and the other to a clean solid ground. Any metal object nearby should suffice.
place the bulb where you can watch it when trying to start to car. If it's noticeably dimmer when the problem occurs you can back track from there or move it forward following the wire all the way to the starter if necessary. Could be an internally broken wire right at the starter. keep us posted. beer

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: TJP] #3254201
08/27/24 11:21 PM
08/27/24 11:21 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Forget about the taillight thing and just use your test light to check for power on each side of the NSS when you turn the key to start. If you have power in and out then the switch is working correctly. I think you are making this harder than it needs to be. Circuit is simply ignition switch to nss to starter.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: TJP] #3254223
08/28/24 06:32 AM
08/28/24 06:32 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Originally Posted by TJP
I believe your best approach would be to try the light bulb brightness test. If it is dimmer than normal when the problem occurs you will then know it is a current/connection issue.
All you need is a nail, needle anything you can push into the connector housing. Attach one end of the test light to the nail pin needle and the other to a clean solid ground. Any metal object nearby should suffice.
place the bulb where you can watch it when trying to start to car. If it's noticeably dimmer when the problem occurs you can back track from there or move it forward following the wire all the way to the starter if necessary. Could be an internally broken wire right at the starter. keep us posted. beer

I forgot to mention how I tested the NSS and what happened when I bypassed it.

I used the continuity setting on the multimeter and shifted the shifter through the gears. It beeped when in P and N only. When I bypassed the NSS it worked for a while and then the no start issue again. I will see if I can get a trim nail into the connector. It will go in the wire side of the connector vs the NSS side correct? If it's good and bright when starting and the no start as well, I'll have to trace it to the bulkhead and see if I can test it there. Probably should trace it now while the starter is out in case I see some physical damage. I did order some 12ga purple wire to run new wire if I need to. Not a fan of using only black and red.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: stumpy] #3254291
08/28/24 12:47 PM
08/28/24 12:47 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Originally Posted by stumpy
Forget about the taillight thing and just use your test light to check for power on each side of the NSS when you turn the key to start. If you have power in and out then the switch is working correctly. I think you are making this harder than it needs to be. Circuit is simply ignition switch to nss to starter.

The problem is that the typical test light can't put enough load on the system. You'll get false good readings that way. Hence, my home brew test light with a real bulb to pull some juice.

12.2 volts at the signal wire at the starter but no starter installed?

You should be reading full battery voltage under those conditions. You don't have enough to reliably activate the solenoid.

Since it sounds like the NSS and the bypass are getting power from the fuse block, your problem is between the fuse block and battery.

Last edited by ruderunner; 08/28/24 12:55 PM.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3254378
08/28/24 07:44 PM
08/28/24 07:44 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
[

The problem is that the typical test light can't put enough load on the system. You'll get false good readings that way. Hence, my home brew test light with a real bulb to pull some juice.

You should be reading full battery voltage under those conditions. You don't have enough to reliably activate the solenoid.

Since it sounds like the NSS and the bypass are getting power from the fuse block, your problem is between the fuse block and battery.

I didn't have much time to mess with it tonight. I did check voltage to the grounding points and all are the same as the battery. I got 0 resistance from the negative terminal to all ground points and ground points to other ones. I used the starter support bracket hole in the block, alternator bracket, starter mounting pad, fender, and negative terminal.

I will hook the light up next and install the starter and see what happens.

The original ignition is getting 12.36V, bypass is getting 12.08V, and battery is 12.56V. This is with the starter out. I know it's not the same as a load on it, but figure check it while it's out. At least I'll see if it's getting voltage.

If it's from the battery to the fuse block, how would I check that?

I hate working on things I don't understand, but do appreciate all the advice and like to understand how things work. I don't have time to work on it for hours at a time most nights.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3254412
08/28/24 10:12 PM
08/28/24 10:12 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
[

I didn't have much time to mess with it tonight. I did check voltage to the grounding points and all are the same as the battery. I got 0 resistance from the negative terminal to all ground points and ground points to other ones. I used the starter support bracket hole in the block, alternator bracket, starter mounting pad, fender, and negative terminal.

The original ignition is getting 12.36V, bypass is getting 12.08V, and battery is 12.56V. This is with the starter out. I know it's not the same as a load on it, but figure check it while it's out. At least I'll see if it's getting voltage.

I hate working on things I don't understand, but do appreciate all the advice and like to understand how things work. I don't have time to work on it for hours at a time most nights.

Voltage readings are only an indicator without a LOAD on them. had a battery kick my butt recently as I was checking V and assumed all was well. after about 4 hours of chasing my tail I just happened to see the VM reading drop to ~ 2V when I [censored] load on it. I should have known better but got bit by no thinking it through.

A bad connection causes resistance which will prevent the current from passing through it. Resistance and Voltage are directly related to each other.
Think of a pinched water hose. it is like a bad connection in that it restricts the flow of current. You have the pressure and flow before the pinch.
After the pinch the flow drops as will the pressure.
But if plugged at the end, the pressure(V) will fill the hose and be the same. However once the plug is removed the pressure (V) will drop due to the restricted flow.
Hope this helps
Also be aware that the Voltage will drop when placed under a heavy load like the starter. The solenoid itself will also cause a drop but to a much lesser amount
beer

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3254458
08/29/24 06:05 AM
08/29/24 06:05 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
[

____ resistance tests are ok but can be misleading. Hence voltage drop testing.

____ I'd leave the starter out for right now. If your previous voltage readings are accurate, we've identified a problem in the circuit controlling the solenoid. We don't need the starter installed right now and leaving it out allows access. Wrap some tape on the wires to prevent shorts since we'll need the battery connected.

____ congratulations, you've just successfully completed a voltage drop test! Well close anyway. I'm assuming you had the meter probes connected to the solenoid signal and bypass one 1 side and battery negative on the other. Just run the same test with the meter connected to the wires and battery positive. From the readings above, you're losing .2 to .5 volts on an unloaded circuit, that's a huge problem. You really want a voltage reading of zero under these conditions.

____ same as above but testing in different places. Battery positive to wherever. A wiring diagram is going to be needed and you're going to have to get comfortable upside down under the dashboard. No fun.

____ to try to simplify, I'm sure you're understanding that electrical systems work on a complete circuit. The testing you've done on your own indicates that. Voltage drop testing lets you test different sections of the circuit, that's why you hook the meter up in different places.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3254463
08/29/24 06:35 AM
08/29/24 06:35 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Going to test the voltage at the IGN tab in the fuse block and at the NSS in and out tonight if I get a chance. Then try to find the purple wire at the bulkhead and check that. That one may be tricky as it's not real clean under the hood and all wires look black from years of gunk and doing it solo is a challenge.

Would a larger wire make a difference in voltage drop? I put a 12ga wire next to the bypass set up and it appears to be slightly smaller, guessing 10ga? I know the original ignition wire is supposed to be 12ga from what I can find.

I am tempted to run a wire with clips from the IGN wire to the starter solenoid, starter battery wire hooked up, and jumper cable from starter mounting point to a good ground and try to read voltage there. I would have to secure the starter from rolling around. Then do it again with the bypass wire. Is that a good idea? I really can't get a test clip or multimeter on the solenoid when it's installed. Too darn tight of a space.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3254594
08/29/24 06:12 PM
08/29/24 06:12 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Did a couple things when I got home.

Took the multimeter from the + terminal and to grounds. All showed same voltage as battery and did continuity and all showed OL.Not sure if that means anything.

Tested continuity from NSS (wires hooked up to NSS as they should be) to starter wire, IGN wire from under dash to console NSS (console had an additional harness added to move it to console from column), Fuse block to bypass button, button to starter, fuse box to starter and all showed 0. Had to depress the button to get the fuse box to starter to show 0 since the button breaks the circuit.

Voltage from IGN tab in fuse box is 12.03V.

NSS in and out both showed 12.0V. Under dash NSS wire before it gets to the NSS harness for the console showed 12.03V.

Starter wire showed 12.14V from ignition, which is more than the NSS reading. Not sure why?

Battery was 12.45V

I did hook a wire to the output of the NSS for the light socket test. I got it to light up in park and neutral was no light at the top end of neutral, but light at the lower end of neutral before it hits drive if that makes sense. It lit up all the time testing in park. I'll monitor that and see what happens. Hopefully the wire stays on it. I'll try to remember to make sure it's good before each start.

Not sure what steps I can take from here. I am going through all the notes given and will see what I can do, but called it a day for now.

At this point, if the bypass has less voltage and works all the time, I would lean towards the NSS towards the starter, but it wouldn't start a few times when it was bypassed so I'm still confused but willing to trouble shoot what I can. One thought I had was to cut the output of the NSS and run a new 12ga wire to the starter and bypass the bulkhead. Don't know if that would cause any issues.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3254606
08/29/24 07:23 PM
08/29/24 07:23 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Going to test the voltage at the IGN tab in the fuse block and at the NSS in and out tonight if I get a chance. Then try to find the purple wire at the bulkhead and check that. That one may be tricky as it's not real clean under the hood and all wires look black from years of gunk and doing it solo is a challenge.

Would a larger wire make a difference in voltage drop? I put a 12ga wire next to the bypass set up and it appears to be slightly smaller, guessing 10ga? I know the original ignition wire is supposed to be 12ga from what I can find.

I am tempted to run a wire with clips from the IGN wire to the starter solenoid, starter battery wire hooked up, and jumper cable from starter mounting point to a good ground and try to read voltage there. I would have to secure the starter from rolling around. Then do it again with the bypass wire. Is that a good idea? I really can't get a test clip or multimeter on the solenoid when it's installed. Too darn tight of a space.

Yes, so don't install the starter.

Larger wires can carry more current but, in this case a smaller wire would work better than a failing wire.

Follow the provided instructions and report the findings.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: MI_Custumz] #3254609
08/29/24 07:29 PM
08/29/24 07:29 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Did a couple things when I got home.

Took the multimeter from the + terminal and to grounds. All showed same voltage as battery and did continuity and all showed OL.Not sure if that means anything.

____ not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

Tested continuity from NSS (wires hooked up to NSS as they should be) to starter wire, IGN wire from under dash to console NSS (console had an additional harness added to move it to console from column), Fuse block to bypass button, button to starter, fuse box to starter and all showed 0. Had to depress the button to get the fuse box to starter to show 0 since the button breaks the circuit.

Voltage from IGN tab in fuse box is 12.03V.

____ too low, find out why. There's a problem between the battery and fuse block.

NSS in and out both showed 12.0V. Under dash NSS wire before it gets to the NSS harness for the console showed 12.03V.

____ too low, there's a problem between battery and nss

Starter wire showed 12.14V from ignition, which is more than the NSS reading. Not sure why?

Battery was 12.45V

____ battery is weak, needs recharged

I did hook a wire to the output of the NSS for the light socket test. I got it to light up in park and neutral was no light at the top end of neutral, but light at the lower end of neutral before it hits drive if that makes sense. It lit up all the time testing in park. I'll monitor that and see what happens. Hopefully the wire stays on it. I'll try to remember to make sure it's good before each start.

Not sure what steps I can take from here. I am going through all the notes given and will see what I can do, but called it a day for now.

At this point, if the bypass has less voltage and works all the time, I would lean towards the NSS towards the starter, but it wouldn't start a few times when it was bypassed so I'm still confused but willing to trouble shoot what I can. One thought I had was to cut the output of the NSS and run a new 12ga wire to the starter and bypass the bulkhead. Don't know if that would cause any issues.

____ you have a power loss between the fuse block and battery. The only practical bypass would be directly from battery to the solenoid.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch issues?? [Re: ruderunner] #3254683
08/30/24 06:36 AM
08/30/24 06:36 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Battery is probably getting weak from all the testing and having the doors open without running the car. I will try to see what voltage is from battery to junction block and then trace it to the fuse block. I saw online somewhere there is an AMP setting on a multimeter and to try that. I'll do some googling today and maybe get to it this weekend. May not be able to get to it until Monday or Tuesday.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7