Chino Valley
B
B300 VanDanage Offline OP
enthusiast
B300 VanDanage  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
I recently bought a 'magnetic pickup coil' off ebay and the seller advertised it as a 'Standard' brand and I just got it today but I'm suspicious about the part actually being a 'Standard' brand part! The part number is LX102T and it's a magnetic pickup coil for a 79' Dodge B300 Van...
It came in a BorgWarner box and the part itself has a "made in Taiwan" sticker on it!
Are Standard and BorgWarner the same?? Do either of them actually make ignition parts in Taiwan???
Oh! You can also see in one of the pictures that the rivet the little arm pivots on is actually damaged so I'm returning this part anyway!

IMG_20240809_192654390.jpgIMG_20240809_192724028.jpgIMG_20240809_192925948.jpg
Re: Borg Warner and Standard ignition parts [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3250474
08/09/24 11:20 PM
08/09/24 11:20 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
looks like a repack to me shruggy twocents

Re: Borg Warner and Standard ignition parts [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3250475
08/09/24 11:25 PM
08/09/24 11:25 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
That stuff is switched back and forth and is interchangeable for the most part these days. Companies (names really) are bought and sold. No one makes stuff here anymore.

My experience with a national chain auto parts company includes a brand name change for it's engine management and electronics line. We didn't change parts. We changed boxes and part #s on everything. Got the interchange list and a big pile of new boxes. Pulled the part out the old box, stuck in in the new one, back on the shelf.

Best you can do is look at the parts, try to get US made stuff if you can, and don't buy the cheapest that they have. Price still makes a difference, usually.

Made in Taiwan is typically better stuff than made in China (Mainland) and you don't see it much these days..

NAPA typically has better stuff available than the big chains, as long as you stick with top shelf.

A lot of that stuff for older applications - > 15 years old - is being ditched by the big chains anyway. Companies buy up that oid inventory for pennies on the dollar and it ends up in places like ebay.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 08/09/24 11:30 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Borg Warner and Standard ignition parts [Re: CMcAllister] #3250600
08/10/24 03:15 PM
08/10/24 03:15 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
That stuff is switched back and forth and is interchangeable for the most part these days. Companies (names really) are bought and sold. No one makes stuff here anymore.

My experience with a national chain auto parts company includes a brand name change for it's engine management and electronics line. We didn't change parts. We changed boxes and part #s on everything. Got the interchange list and a big pile of new boxes. Pulled the part out the old box, stuck in in the new one, back on the shelf.

Best you can do is look at the parts, try to get US made stuff if you can, and don't buy the cheapest that they have. Price still makes a difference, usually.

Made in Taiwan is typically better stuff than made in China (Mainland) and you don't see it much these days..

NAPA typically has better stuff available than the big chains, as long as you stick with top shelf.

A lot of that stuff for older applications - > 15 years old - is being ditched by the big chains anyway. Companies buy up that oid inventory for pennies on the dollar and it ends up in places like ebay.

Agreed, I'll only comment the box looks quite old and the seller likely repacked a new POS in it.
On your other comment(s), Several years back I went through 7-10 different suppliers/ brand names for a stock replacement pump. they were all identical in everyway except price. Even the ink stampings were the same. IIRC even both of napa's pumps again were the same again except price.

I believe the issue we were fighting was excess pressure blowing by the needle and seat. beer

I'll also add the following
Most major manufacturer's have Final test procedures of some type. There are normally also different specifications supplied by the end user (say comp cams)
During the manufacturing two identical parts made at the same time on the same machine may perform differently for a number of reasons to numerous to list. So we have Final Test. This is where the completed parts are subjected to a variety of tests under different conditions and then sorted according to their performance. For example:
A "Bin1" part is the highest quality and consequently is priced at a premium.
"Bin 2" is slightly lower on performance and priced cheaper.
"Bin 3" is middle of the road on performance and priced cheaper yet.
"Bin 4" is still functional but may fail if exposed to Bin 1 spec's
'Bin 5" is a reject and gets recycled of scrapped

In addition, The end user say Ford, may require their own set of test parameters: In the case of hydraulic lifters it might be x amount of spring pressure with different viscosity's of oil under extremely hot and cold temps.

Blueprint engines may be buying Bin1's

Comp Cams may be buying a bin 1, 2 or 3 part.

the local parts house will likely be selling bin 4's as their house brand, TRW may be Bin 3's, Bin 2's and the

Joe Blows engine kit supply company is going to go for the bin 4's and probably other stock crate engine rebuilders.

One also has to keep in mind the current supply chain problems may have caused some deviation in acceptable quality as well

In closing I will also say we have 3 rethreading kits. 1 Snap on 185.00?, 1 Mac tools 125.00, and 1 Craftsman 59.00.
They are ABSOLUTELY identical in every way except for the label on the outside. Even the inside label is the same as is the box and its grain patter. Are these Bin 1, 2, 3 tools or are they exactly the same? only the Manufacturer and the buyer at the 3 companies know for sure

Last edited by TJP; 08/10/24 03:52 PM.
Re: Borg Warner and Standard ignition parts [Re: TJP] #3250621
08/10/24 05:13 PM
08/10/24 05:13 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I'd bet that part was re-boxed, either by the seller or whoever he got it from.
Managed an AutoZone for awhile - a few people would return items in the correct boxes that were used or other brands, and/or damaged.
AZ has 2 house brands, and the cheaper line has the short warranty and is definitely sourced more cheaply.
There was an odd exception with a brass-contact distributor cap being cheaper than the aluminum-contact, but that was years ago.

It's sad and irritating that brand names don't always provide the quality they formerly did.
Lots of consumers, and the companies themselves, are always looking for the cheapest prices.
That drives the manufacturing offshore, where the labor - and often the materials - are cheaper.

Re: Borg Warner and Standard ignition parts [Re: topside] #3250623
08/10/24 05:32 PM
08/10/24 05:32 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
I'm trying to buy yp as much nos ignition stuff I can.

Bought 3 nos condensers this weekend

Plan to root thru a friend of mines stash for some nos points next week.

Same for brake shoes

Re: Borg Warner and Standard ignition parts [Re: gtx6970] #3250642
08/10/24 08:08 PM
08/10/24 08:08 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal

All of the national auto parts stores including Advance, Auto-Zone, O'Reily carry the lower quality, cheaper parts.
Even Napa carries (2) lines, 1 to price compete with the mass-market boys..
But since Napa sells to many auto-repair places they do carry a 2nd higher quality line, as they require a better warranty.
To me it makes little sense to install 1 of the lower cost/quality parts...
IMHO..
My labor/install time is worth more so I try to buy the better quality parts @ a higher price mainly through RockAuto.
The website of RockAuto is 1 of the best including OE parts #, cross reference and a broad choice plus they are always 30-40% lower in price.

Just my $0.02... wink

Re: Borg Warner and Standard ignition parts [Re: Sinitro] #3250718
08/11/24 09:50 AM
08/11/24 09:50 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
All of the national auto parts stores including Advance, Auto-Zone, O'Reily carry the lower quality, cheaper parts.
Even Napa carries (2) lines, 1 to price compete with the mass-market boys..
But since Napa sells to many auto-repair places they do carry a 2nd higher quality line, as they require a better warranty.

This! If you actually look for a brand say Delphi (since they do make parts for the auto makers) Napa is the only one that sells them(locally). And i always say IF you are going to buy parts of off china supply(ebay) You better have all the part #'s/info to find what you are looking for. Then you have the people who sell china parts in known manufactures boxes. Ebay should crack down and ban these people! But from the scope of this crap found there it's to much work for them to cover. A simple google search will tell you who owns who. I found out that Standard makes BWD(JUNK!!!). Who owned the company when the part was made also is a contributing factor. I bought a Delphi crank sensor from Rockauto and there are no id/#'s on the part to say who made it. shruggy