Aurora, Oh.
M
max_maniac Offline OP
master
max_maniac  Offline OP
master
M

Aurora, Oh.
Any truth to what s posted below? I have never heard of anything like this. Posted on a local web board in Ravenna Ohio.

Do yourself a favor and take the time to read this as it will certainly apply to some of you out there. It pertains to an unfortunate experience relative to auto insurance.
In March I was rear- ended by a minor driving his mother’s minivan. He presented his mother’s insurance card to the police which was Allstate. Upon me filing a claim with Allstate, I was informed that the minor was not covered by his mother’s policy, but rather through his father’s policy at Progressive. His parents are apparently divorced as he lives with his mother. Upon filing a claim with Progressive, Progressive denied the claim. I was told the claim was denied because he does not reside with his father. I asked the Claims Rep if the minor was listed on his father’s policy. He said, “yes.”I then asked whether the father was current with his policy by making payment of premiums in good faith. Again, the Rep responded, “yes.” So how can the minor not be covered? This sounds like insurance fraud to me.
Bottom line, check to ensure you children that are driving are insured. It could cost you everything. Imagine this father thinking that he has liability coverage for his child, has paid for it, but does not.
Secondly, only do business with reputable companies. Apparently these carriers think that advertising ignorant commercials and stadium sponsorships are the means to running a business with integrity. There apparently is no integrity here as Corporate Greed once again prevails. And by the way Progressive, I will be replacing you for my specialty policies…

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: max_maniac] #3245736
07/19/24 01:36 PM
07/19/24 01:36 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

First, there are important details that are missing, which is not surprising.

Second, if you have someone listed on your policy as a resident relative, and they no longer live at your house, they are no longer a resident relative. Insurance is not meant to cover everyone in the family. It's meant to cover you, and the people who live with you. A temporary living situation such as a kid being at college is not a problem, but if someone moves out and goes to live elsewhere, the insurance needs to be updated. The kid should have been removed from dad's insurance and added to mom's insurance. Both parents goofed.

The person who is angry has reason to be angry, but he's directing it at the wrong people in this instance. The dad continuing to make payments is not relevant. Dad did something that voided coverage for his son (his fault), AND chose to keep paying and not tell his insurance company. How would the insurance company know dad was paying for something that wasn't going to be covered? He never told them the kid moved out or otherwise lived with his mother. Maybe the kid never lived with dad in the first place?. shruggy

Insurers don't just deny coverage on a whim. There's a lot that goes into the decision, and it goes several levels above the adjuster to get approved. Coverage only gets denied if it is clear-cut. I had a 2+ hour discussion this morning involving me, a supervisor who reports to me, another manager, my boss (a director), and another director. The entire call was about whether coverage should be afforded on a certain claim. One claim. 5 people, 2+ hours, talking about coverage on one claim. That's how most denials are done because denying coverage is a serious thing, and there is no margin for error. Incorrectly denying coverage is an example of acting in bad faith, and that comes with hefty fines and penalties attached.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."
- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3245739
07/19/24 02:01 PM
07/19/24 02:01 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
I think consumers assume way too much. Long gone are the days where insurance companies will just blanket cover anything when they can get out of it because the grand times are way past.

I ask USAA tons of questions about my coverage in almost every area I can see me possibly having a claim over. They almost seem irritated I ask so much but I want to know what im covered for and what im not.

In this case the insured party could easily of asked before any claim came to be what the child was covered for by either company and what there rules and guidelines are. OR maybe they could of read there companies policy rules although some are confusing.

People need to there part in life and be informed as possible before trouble strikes. And stop playing the victim card.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #3245755
07/19/24 03:26 PM
07/19/24 03:26 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Also, another DA complaining about advertising. So stupid. laugh2

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3245758
07/19/24 03:50 PM
07/19/24 03:50 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
I thought anyone borrowing your car is covered? Why does it matter where he lives?

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: BDW] #3245760
07/19/24 04:21 PM
07/19/24 04:21 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

I don't know why Allstate said that mom's policy didn't cover him, since he lives with her. It's possible she has him excluded from coverage. It's possible they won't cover him because he's been a resident relative of hers for X amount of time and she never added him to the policy. Could be something else too.

Dad's policy appears to have listed him as a household resident and he is not. That's a problem.

I thought anyone borrowing your car is covered

That is also not correct.

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3245761
07/19/24 04:23 PM
07/19/24 04:23 PM
Aurora, Oh.
M
max_maniac Offline OP
master
max_maniac  Offline OP
master
M

Aurora, Oh.
So just for my curiosity what if the people are divorced but have shared custody? Who should carry the insurance?

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: max_maniac] #3245762
07/19/24 04:25 PM
07/19/24 04:25 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

That's something that has to be looked into with the prospective insurance company or companies. Just need to ask them, or if there's an agent, ask the agent. They'll tell you how to go about doing it. And then I suspect it needs to be spelled out in the divorce decree as far as who is paying for it, but that wouldn't affect coverage.

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3245776
07/19/24 05:48 PM
07/19/24 05:48 PM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Central Michigan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the person who's car was hit be able to go to his own insurer under his "uninsured motorist" coverage, get his car fixed, and let his insurance company fight it out with Allstate and Progressive? It was explained to me very forcefully in TX and CA that you'd BETTER have good uninsured motorist coverage due to the number of illegals...

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #3245799
07/19/24 07:12 PM
07/19/24 07:12 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

That's a common misconception. There are 2 kinds of uninsured motorist coverage:

Uninsured (also underinsured) motorist BI - covers your injuries if you are injured by someone with no insurance, or with insufficient coverage to pay for your injuries in full. This is pretty straightforward in every state that offers UM/UIM coverage.

Uninsured motorist PD - covers your vehicle damages if your car is damaged by someone with no insurance. This varies significantly from state to state. In some states, it would also apply to an underinsured situation, but not in every state. In some states, you can only carry UMPD or Collision on a vehicle, not both. Ohio is one such state, and that's where this incident occurred. In other states, you can carry both coverages on the same vehicle. Also, in Ohio, UMPD only applies if the other driver is identified, and it is confirmed that they are uninsured. Some other states are like that, while other states provide more broad UMPD coverage, such as being hit-skipped by an unidentified driver.

Because this guy was in Ohio, and coverage was denied by both companies, he could use his UMPD coverage if he has it. If he carries Collision instead of UMPD, he can use his coverage regardless of whether or not the other driver was insured. If he doesn't carry either one, he's out of luck and on his own. He can sue mom and the kid directly, but good luck collecting. As far as his insurance company fighting it out, that's not going to get far at all in this situation because all Allstate and Progressive have to do is say "Here's the letter we sent to our insured advising them that coverage was not afforded for this loss," and that's the end of that.

Most people who explain things very forcefully generally don't know much.

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3245834
07/19/24 10:59 PM
07/19/24 10:59 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted by not_a_charger

I thought anyone borrowing your car is covered

That is also not correct.

Can you explain how this works? I always wonder when I loan a car.

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: Ramrod39] #3245851
07/20/24 06:17 AM
07/20/24 06:17 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

If you give someone permissive use to drive your vehicle, they are most likely covered while driving your vehicle, but not always. You can specifically exclude a household resident from your policy and then give them permission to drive your car. If you do so, they are not covered. If anyone driving your car does anything that is excluded from coverage, they are not covered. There are other examples as well. I was responding to the assertion that "anyone borrowing your car is covered." Assuming in terms of absolutes is a great way for people like the one in Russ' story to end up in a bad situation.

Assuming mom gave the kid permissive use to drive her vehicle, there must be something else at play in order for Allstate to have denied coverage. That's what I meant in my first post about there being details missing. I don't know why they denied coverage, but unless there was gross incompetence involved, they must have a valid reason. The Progressive denial appears more clear cut, as in the son is listed on dad's policy but is not a resident relative and therefore should not have been, and add to it that the son was driving mom's car, not dad's car.

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3245857
07/20/24 07:56 AM
07/20/24 07:56 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
What I find confusing is that the kids is named on the policy, what difference does his residency status make? Or more importantly why would it matter?

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: ruderunner] #3245861
07/20/24 09:18 AM
07/20/24 09:18 AM
NE Ohio
DoubleD Offline
top fuel
DoubleD  Offline
top fuel

NE Ohio
I am guessing his parents never had him listed as a driver on their policies - they just assumed a minor would be covered - if the minor had been listed as licensed driver on the mothers policy or fathers policy there should be coverage. As usual an insurance company will deny the claim - in order for the chance that litagation would not be pursued - the key to this argument is if there is shared custody in the divorce agreement

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: ruderunner] #3245888
07/20/24 11:30 AM
07/20/24 11:30 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

The kid is named on dad's policy, but doesn't live with dad. I am certain that's the root of the problem with dad's insurance though I don't know the details of course. Why mom's company denied coverage, I'm truly not sure, though it almost certainly has something to do with the fact that he lives there and is not on the policy. Has to be something though. Like I said, they don't just deny coverage because they have nothing better to do.

Allstate used to mass deny home claims and they got slapped hard for it, as well they should have. Horribly unethical company back then. They don't do that anymore. They're still a poorly run company, but not for the same reasons.

As far as shared custody, etc., that doesn't really have any bearing on it. You have to have one address listed as your resident address.

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3245935
07/20/24 02:08 PM
07/20/24 02:08 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
^^^ Yup.
The basic concept obviously is to insure against risk of damage or loss.
The insurer's underwriter or actuaries need to be a part of charging a customer for insurance.
Whether or not a driver in a higher-risk bracket could be operating the vehicle, would have a bearing on risk assessment and the premium charged.
In the simplest terms, it's kind of a bet - if you've ever played poker (successfully), you know the deal.

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: topside] #3246125
07/21/24 11:10 AM
07/21/24 11:10 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
so somewhat on a related note to the original topic.
if i or [riding with] a friend drive to an event, and one of us happens to suffer a medical emergency, and the other drives the [other's] car home and gets into a fender bender or worse, the insurance on our car[s] would not cover the incident because my friend or i are not on each other's policy as allowable drivers, although we gave permission [to each other] to drive the car home because of the unforeseen circumstance[s] ? shruggy
beer

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: moparx] #3246127
07/21/24 11:13 AM
07/21/24 11:13 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Permissive use is almost always covered. You can't give permissive use to someone who is specifically excluded from coverage, and you can't give permissive use to someone who is supposed to be on your policy but is not.

Also, don't loan your car to people. It's a terrible idea. We see claims involving unlisted drivers all of the time. An unlisted driver is someone who is not on your policy, but (generally speaking) had your permission to drive the car. Guess who is nearly always at fault when we get claims involving an unlisted driver? Why, the unlisted driver, of course. panic

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3246142
07/21/24 11:42 AM
07/21/24 11:42 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
thanks for clearing that up for me, but it made me think about another scenario.
if one owns several cars, and wants two of them to attend an event, or go to another location for whatever reason, would having a friend drive one of the vehicles constitute "lending" it to him ?
beer

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: moparx] #3246145
07/21/24 11:45 AM
07/21/24 11:45 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

It would, yes, but if you let someone drive your car and it's on a classic car policy with agreed value, they will likely not be covered. Classic car insurance is cheap in part because it has a lot of restrictions/exclusions.

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3246156
07/21/24 11:57 AM
07/21/24 11:57 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
good to know !
my best friend has two cars, and most of the time, he likes to show them together at our yearly local festival.
in order to get them there, either his nephew or i go to his house and drive one to the festival, then he takes us back to our respective houses and we pick up our cars and return to the festival, parking together.
at the end of the event, we drive our car[s] back to our house[s] then return to pick up his other car and drive it back to his house where our daily driver was sitting, then go home from there.
beer

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: moparx] #3246166
07/21/24 12:15 PM
07/21/24 12:15 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

If he has them on a collector policy, you or his nephew driving is almost certainly not covered.

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3246188
07/21/24 12:48 PM
07/21/24 12:48 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
It would, yes, but if you let someone drive your car and it's on a classic car policy with agreed value, they will likely not be covered. Classic car insurance is cheap in part because it has a lot of restrictions/exclusions.

But isn’t the CAR still covered if I let a friend drive my car and he wrecks?

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #3246219
07/21/24 01:35 PM
07/21/24 01:35 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Very likely not. Classic car policies are very restrictive. With most of them, coverage is only afforded when a listed driver is driving. That includes comp/collision and liability.

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3246237
07/21/24 02:27 PM
07/21/24 02:27 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
I wondered about that when I drove one of Mike's Six-Pack cars to a show while he drove his pink Hemi Cuda so he could win both classes work I didn't ask about it because I was just excited to drive one of his restorations to a show.

Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3246508
07/22/24 11:15 AM
07/22/24 11:15 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Very likely not. Classic car policies are very restrictive. With most of them, coverage is only afforded when a listed driver is driving. That includes comp/collision and liability.

is it possible to amend a policy to include who one could conceivably think of several others who may, at some point, be drivers of one's vehicle ?
if so, wouldn't there be a limit, say only one or two others ?
beer

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: moparx] #3246509
07/22/24 11:16 AM
07/22/24 11:16 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Not with a classic car policy, at least not that I am aware of. Like I said, it's cheap for several reasons, chief among them is the restrictions/limitations placed on coverage.

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3246535
07/22/24 12:27 PM
07/22/24 12:27 PM
Carlisle, AR.
M
mdwyer Offline
enthusiast
mdwyer  Offline
enthusiast
M

Carlisle, AR.
On our Hagerty policies i just listed everyone( family, wife Son-in-law, daughter) i would let drive them. Costs more but less worries.

1970 Challenger T/A
1970 Roadrunner RM21 Vcode
1971 Gtx
1971 Satellite
1971 Charger 500 GB5 383 A54 car
1972 Satellite
1997 Dodge 1500 hunting rig
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: mdwyer] #3246538
07/22/24 12:31 PM
07/22/24 12:31 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

If they let you, great. That's a positive thing, and it never hurts to ask. But always ask. It does hurt not to ask. smile

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Re: Insurance question??? [Re: not_a_charger] #3246761
07/23/24 11:16 AM
07/23/24 11:16 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Ok I have full coverage am I covered by my insurance or theirs if I drive someone's else's car? If a friend drives my car is it covered by my insurance if they wreck? If not am I responsible for the damage they caused or are they?

Thanks Mike

Re: Insurance question??? [Re: second 70] #3246765
07/23/24 11:22 AM
07/23/24 11:22 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

"Full coverage" is not a real thing. It's a term that someone made up at some point and it gets parroted about, but it doesn't mean anything.

As far as which insurance would be primary in the situations you describe, that depends upon the state, and the language in each person's insurance policy. That's what will determine which policy is primary and which is excess. If both policies are determined to be primary or excess, then the damages are handled on a pro-rata basis between the 2 policies.

DBAP

- Oscar Gamble
Page 1 of 2 1 2